5.0 out of 5 stars The Plan and Razor Both Included!
Just an FYI that in this box both THE PLAN and RAZOR are included. While RAZOR has its own packaging, THE PLAN is weirdly just in the case for Season Four Disc One, though there is no indication of this on the sleeve at all. So, rest assured, it's all here folks. Just very strangely presented.
Published on July 13 2010 by henderstu

3.0 out of 5 stars Peeves on packaging.
Published on Nov. 1 2009 by Francis Bacon

5.0 out of 5 stars The Plan and Razor Both Included!, July 13 2010
This review is from: Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fair warning, Dec 15 2012
The Nihilest (Fortress of Solitude) - See all my reviews
Although my set is exactly as pictured in the product info, from reading the reviews, there are a couple of differences I feel I should point out.
1. Mine does include a book listing which episodes and special features are on which disc. Many reviewers said they didn't get one. I did. There is one small inconsistency in it - the booklet and the disc's own labels call "Razor" disc 1 of season 4. But when the Razor disc is in your drive, it will show up as Razor. The disc that the book and label call season 4 disc 2, will show up in your drive as season 4 disc 1. The disc labelled season 4 disc 3 will show up as season 4 disc 2.
2. My set does not include The Plan. Some here say theirs did. Mine didn't.
I bought my set in November 2012, if that makes any difference to anyone regarding the above differences.
These issues aside, it's BSG. It looks and sounds awesome, and is one of the all-time great series. This is the first series I've ever bought on any medium, and I've been around since Beta.

3.0 out of 5 stars Peeves on packaging., Nov. 1 2009
The quality of the picture and sound are very good, however the DVD player information, like episode on disk (eg. 1,2,3, or 4)has no correlation to the place on the disk (on other series collections this has never been an issue). Downloading episode information from the web is a must; the packaging is novel and fun but there is no episode book or information included. Episode information is available on the disk but the episode summary is small and the zoom function does not work to make it readable. And finally, the disks are extremely difficult to retrieve from the four storage cases.

Packaging peeves aside, BG is a great series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Series Excellent, Blu-Ray Packaging OK, Sept. 7 2009
Kurt Berger - See all my reviews
I recently upgraded my DVD BSG collection to Blu-Ray with the purchase of this product. This review is more about the Blu-Ray version than the series itself (which I consider to be top-notch.) As expected, the picture and sound quality is excellent. This is the series as it was meant to be seen. My quibbles are more with the packaging of the Blu-Ray material as there are small annoyances which detract from the whole. Like many others, I would prefer to have an paper episode list. Also an annoyance is the storage of the disks themselves. The packaging makes it difficult to get at the individual disks. I find myself turning the whole season package upside down and shaking to get one out. I would have preferred something similar to the DVD seasons where each disk is in its own plastic space. The cardboad slot method in the Blu-Ray is clumsy, and to me, a scratched disk waiting to happen. For the price, I would have expected a bit more in the quality of packaging and presentation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but where's the guide?, Sept. 7 2009
J. Mowatt (Edmonton CA) - See all my reviews
Anyone that is a fan will love the Blu-ray quality and features. I only have 2 small complaints. First, there is no guide to what is on each disc, unless this was just missing from mine. Unless you have a table of contents from your DVDs you will have to have a good memory if you want to track down a specific episode. 2nd, I personally don't like having to slide the discs out of the awkward sleeves in this special boxed set - the potential for scratching is too great. I'm tempted to stick the Blu-rays in my DVD cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Complete Version, released April/2010, April 7 2010
L. Hargreaves - See all my reviews
I just recieved this item in the mail (oh happy day!) and I just wanted to clear up some confusion re: what's in it. It has the mini series, complete seasons 1-4, The Plan and Razor, both extended. The packaging is very traditional: each season in a set, then all 4 sets + the plan in a large cover. Very functional. Each season package lists what is on each disk, but the disks themselves do not. Lots of blu-ray only features that I'm only starting to understand. Very exciting stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problems Solved, April 9 2010
I'd like to begin by pointing out that the other reviews for this title are for the original release of BSG on Blu-Ray and not this particular release. As a result, I will lay out the major differences:

-This set includes the TV Movie "The Plan" while the other does not
-This set contains the individually packaged Blu-Ray seasons within the box, with a guide to determine which episodes are on which disc

This show is perhaps one of the greatest shows of the Aughties, and is worthy of preservation. I'm currently on my 3rd go around (first in 1080p though haha).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, weak packaging, July 25 2010
Slant6 Valiant "Valiant" (Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (DVD)
I'd purchased season 1 and 2 and enjoyed the series enough to want the complete five years, so I bought this. I leave it to you to read other reviews to decide if you're interested in this series; my review is about the specific packaging format, not the characters, story or special effects.

The price was fantastic ($[...]CA) compared to buying each half-season (1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, etc. etc.) individually ($[...] per half-season x 5 seasons = $[...] CA) so I jumped on this set. While I still believe it was a smart choice, I wonder if the packaging layout of the half-season DVD sets was better.

I have two complaints. First, three of the DVDs had episodes that I had to watch on my laptop. Our family DVD player is 8 years old and the discs are medium-to-low quality. Our DVD player stammered and jammed to a halt during an episode on three different discs. The laptop, 2 years old, played them perfectly. The discs were not damaged in any way: no scratches or warping. They simply froze up at a certain point in the story and refused to continue. So, if you have old DVD hardware then prepare for the possibility that it will choke and you may need to swap to a newer DVD player.

My second complaint was the interior packaging. I appreciated the thin DVD cases for compactness and the heavy-stock box is good for taking to a friend's place or putting on the shelf. However, I have complaints about the program design within the DVDs. When the DVD was in the player and displaying the main menu, the discs for season 3 and onward were missing story-blurbs. For season 1 and 2, you could go to the main DVD menu and read the name of the episode, see a freeze shot from the episode and read a plot summary. That ended abruptly with season 3 and never resumed. When we'd take a break from watching for a week, then start again on a Sunday night, we had only the screen shot and the episode title as tools to recall where we'd left off a week ago. Someone in authority decided that plot summaries on the main menu were useless by season 3, which I find puzzling.

Onto the pro: The movie Razor is included with this set and was a delight to watch. I don't think it's mentioned in the product info on Amazon. While it's not necessary to the tale in it's entirety, it was a terrific surprise to discover it slotted in between the season 4 and season 5 DVDs in the case. As well, the DVDs in this set offer both versions of an episode if there was more than one cut released for it (i.e. both a director and a TV airing version were released.) Once we finish season 5, we intend to re-watch the whole set once more with the commentary turned on.

If you're into season 1 and haven't bought any further seasons, this is an excellent way to see the series without spending a lot of money. If you're into collecting the varity of sets so that you can have all the various aesthetic packaging then I suggest you skip this: this is the econo version and you'll already have much higher quality on your bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show, not-so-great packaging, Aug. 8 2009
D'arcy Mann - See all my reviews
I loved this show from the first episode. Like many people, I saw the miniseries before it was available on Canadian or US television by downloading it from copies captured by viewers of the Sky Network in the UK.

A slight digression - BSG is proof against blocking the downloading of torrents of TV shows. Many channels now broadcast an online version anyhow, and so many BSG viewers downloaded torrents first that when the show hit the airwaves in North America, the Sci-Fi network and Space Channel found they had a built-in audience. That's right those of us who watched on our computer monitors also watched on our TV screens.

But back to the Complete Series DVD set

When I found out from a friend that the complete series was coming out, and at a reasonable price, I was ecstatic. I'd been thinking of buying the show on DVD but at $79.99 per HALF season I couldn't justify the price. A complete set, including 70 hours of extras, for $180 was too good to pass up.

The case

The box is pretty cool. You pop the top up, exposing four separate boxes one on each side. Sliding the top up reveals a central pillar with photos of the cast. The box is so cool you want to keep it, even though its quite large and will prevent you from putting this new collection on your DVD shelving.

Each season comes in its own box nestled in one of the four side pouches of the main case. They each look like a Cylons head, and have a tab that lifts to expose the discs. I was disappointed to see that each disc is simply stuffed into a cardboard pouch this can cause scratching of the disc when taking them out or putting them back, so be careful.I also discovered that some of the discs were out of order, and dirty. That's right; there were hairs and a few flecks of gunk on each disc, and they were stuffed into the pouches in no particular order as though they'd already been misused. But the set I bought was vacuum packed in the same plastic as the rest on the shelf and sold as new... perhaps the factory packing them in cardboard is untidy, and/or the pouches themselves scratched dirtied up the discs. I'd hate to think merchants are repackaging returns and selling them as new.

An unexpected surprise.

As an added bonus, theres a Cylon doll (sorry, action figure) contained in the top. The Cylon new toaster model - no Six, sorry - was an unexpected and pleasant bonus, but getting it out of the top was a bit tricky. I had to lift the clear plastic coffin it comes in, then pull it out from the feet very carefully the shoulders had snagged on the plastic tabs of its container and this took a few minutes as I didn't want to break it before I even got to play with... I mean examine it.

The joints were extremely stiff at first and I felt like they might break as I attempted to move them for the first time. Once they broke free and could move, they were a bit loose. Grr. And the left shoulder is poorly molded. The left arm wont raise laterally unless I pull the arm back first at a funny angle to allow the shoulder armor on the arm to tuck under the shoulder armor on the torso. The feet are particularly difficult to move, as the ankle plastic is so slender it wants to bend instead of the joint swiveling.

Many others have reviewed the show itself. Let me just add to the resounding "definitely worth watching". But be careful with those cardboard pouches, and check each disc as soon as you get your set home.

I hope you found this review helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars great show... the price is insane, Aug. 15 2009
I was a fan of this show so I bought the full set on blu ray. the quality is awesome. the price AND packaging suck. 250 bucks is insanity... unless you are a major hardcore fan. for anyone else I would say wait until the price falls into line with other complete series. its definitely worth purchasing but is it worth $250??? you decide. for my money I wish they would have kept the silly action figure and knocked some coin off the price

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series by Edward James Olmos (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 229.99 CDN$ 109.99