march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis snsflyout Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on September 7, 2009
Anyone that is a fan will love the Blu-ray quality and features. I only have 2 small complaints. First, there is no guide to what is on each disc, unless this was just missing from mine. Unless you have a table of contents from your DVDs you will have to have a good memory if you want to track down a specific episode. 2nd, I personally don't like having to slide the discs out of the awkward sleeves in this special boxed set - the potential for scratching is too great. I'm tempted to stick the Blu-rays in my DVD cases.
on September 7, 2009
I recently upgraded my DVD BSG collection to Blu-Ray with the purchase of this product. This review is more about the Blu-Ray version than the series itself (which I consider to be top-notch.) As expected, the picture and sound quality is excellent. This is the series as it was meant to be seen. My quibbles are more with the packaging of the Blu-Ray material as there are small annoyances which detract from the whole. Like many others, I would prefer to have an paper episode list. Also an annoyance is the storage of the disks themselves. The packaging makes it difficult to get at the individual disks. I find myself turning the whole season package upside down and shaking to get one out. I would have preferred something similar to the DVD seasons where each disk is in its own plastic space. The cardboad slot method in the Blu-Ray is clumsy, and to me, a scratched disk waiting to happen. For the price, I would have expected a bit more in the quality of packaging and presentation.
on July 25, 2010
I'd purchased season 1 and 2 and enjoyed the series enough to want the complete five years, so I bought this. I leave it to you to read other reviews to decide if you're interested in this series; my review is about the specific packaging format, not the characters, story or special effects.

The price was fantastic ($[...]CA) compared to buying each half-season (1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, etc. etc.) individually ($[...] per half-season x 5 seasons = $[...] CA) so I jumped on this set. While I still believe it was a smart choice, I wonder if the packaging layout of the half-season DVD sets was better.

I have two complaints. First, three of the DVDs had episodes that I had to watch on my laptop. Our family DVD player is 8 years old and the discs are medium-to-low quality. Our DVD player stammered and jammed to a halt during an episode on three different discs. The laptop, 2 years old, played them perfectly. The discs were not damaged in any way: no scratches or warping. They simply froze up at a certain point in the story and refused to continue. So, if you have old DVD hardware then prepare for the possibility that it will choke and you may need to swap to a newer DVD player.

My second complaint was the interior packaging. I appreciated the thin DVD cases for compactness and the heavy-stock box is good for taking to a friend's place or putting on the shelf. However, I have complaints about the program design within the DVDs. When the DVD was in the player and displaying the main menu, the discs for season 3 and onward were missing story-blurbs. For season 1 and 2, you could go to the main DVD menu and read the name of the episode, see a freeze shot from the episode and read a plot summary. That ended abruptly with season 3 and never resumed. When we'd take a break from watching for a week, then start again on a Sunday night, we had only the screen shot and the episode title as tools to recall where we'd left off a week ago. Someone in authority decided that plot summaries on the main menu were useless by season 3, which I find puzzling.

Onto the pro: The movie Razor is included with this set and was a delight to watch. I don't think it's mentioned in the product info on Amazon. While it's not necessary to the tale in it's entirety, it was a terrific surprise to discover it slotted in between the season 4 and season 5 DVDs in the case. As well, the DVDs in this set offer both versions of an episode if there was more than one cut released for it (i.e. both a director and a TV airing version were released.) Once we finish season 5, we intend to re-watch the whole set once more with the commentary turned on.

If you're into season 1 and haven't bought any further seasons, this is an excellent way to see the series without spending a lot of money. If you're into collecting the varity of sets so that you can have all the various aesthetic packaging then I suggest you skip this: this is the econo version and you'll already have much higher quality on your bookshelf.
on August 15, 2009
I was a fan of this show so I bought the full set on blu ray. the quality is awesome. the price AND packaging suck. 250 bucks is insanity... unless you are a major hardcore fan. for anyone else I would say wait until the price falls into line with other complete series. its definitely worth purchasing but is it worth $250??? you decide. for my money I wish they would have kept the silly action figure and knocked some coin off the price
on April 12, 2010
I was initially worried when I got this that there was a manufacturing problem with my set - everything I had read had indicated that this was a 26-disc set that included The Plan, but my box says it includes 25 discs, and no mention of The Plan at all. And none of the disc cases indicated that The Plan was on any of them. But there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap that said The Plan was included so I was wondering what's up. Then I saw another review here where someone else pointed out where they finally found it - hiding in the Season 4.0 disc 4 case.

It looks to me like adding The Plan was a last minute decision, after the packaging had already been designed and probably even printed, so they simply decided to swap out one of the slim cases with a dual slim case to add the extra disc and didn't bother with the expense of updating the packaging. Which is a shame, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who was initially disappointed about the missing copy of The Plan. They should have at least put a sticker on the outside telling people where to find it rather than it being a surprise months down the road when they finally get to that disc in the series.

If they had taken the care to make sure the packaging was accurate I would have given five stars, but they didn't so for that this set loses a star.
on June 19, 2015
This series is great. I bought it on DVD initially, but this Blu Ray edition really shines. No bum discs for me. I docked a star because it is quite grainy in some scenes, as other reviewers mentioned, but this is fairly infrequent. Nevertheless, the series itself is some of the best sci-fi out there. I haven't watched any of the special features yet.

If you haven't watched the series before, DO NOT read the booklet that comes with the series, there are some major spoilers contained in the character descriptions and episode summaries.

Note: My set included "Razor", but not "The Plan".
on December 31, 2012
If this were a review of Battlestar Galactica as a series, I would give it five stars without question. I limit this to a four star review because the packaging is somewhat limited. This box set includes the extras of Razor and The Plan, but they are not packaged separately from the various seasons. In fact, The Plan seems to have been stuffed into one of the Season 4 slim cases without any printed material to show that the The Plan is inside. That said, everything you would want is in here.
on June 29, 2013
One of the best sci fi shows ever made cant go wrong with this set the box is super s***y they replaced it in the states but not Canada. no liner notes or even a list of what episodes are on each disk very frustrating.
on December 30, 2013
BG is one of my favorite series of all time, so finally owning it on Blu-Ray was a big deal for me. I think there are enough reviews of the series per se, it is a well produced one with very smart writing. As with any series, some people like the ending and others do not, is hard to please fans everywhere, especially when we are so invested in it.

Quality of video is great, you have the complete series + mini movies and web shorts, which gives you a complete view of the series. It is a cardboard box, so you need to be careful with taking things out and I the only reason I do not give it 5 starts is because discs can be tricky to take out as they lay one of top of the other, so if you want to take the bottom one you are better served taking the top one off, then taking the one below (too many steps and you risk scratching them).

If you are a hardcore fan of BG, I believe this is a must have.
on June 7, 2010
Great series and very enjoyable. You will definitely loose sleep by staying up to watch "just one more" episode. The video quality is good but one must remember that often the director was going after a grainy/over exposed look. This is reproduced on the blu-ray and is as it should be. The series is better the 2nd time through.