countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on April 24, 2016
And incredible series that takes the viewer on a long and engaging trip across 4 seasons with many twists and turns. You will feel completely spent by the end but it will be well worth it.

The collection of the entire Battlestar Galactica series in one box is in fact all of previously released seasons in their original packaging and then housed into a box. The only thing I could criticize is that they could have made a new package to house all of the discs and somehow make the size smaller.
on June 19, 2015
This series is great. I bought it on DVD initially, but this Blu Ray edition really shines. No bum discs for me. I docked a star because it is quite grainy in some scenes, as other reviewers mentioned, but this is fairly infrequent. Nevertheless, the series itself is some of the best sci-fi out there. I haven't watched any of the special features yet.

If you haven't watched the series before, DO NOT read the booklet that comes with the series, there are some major spoilers contained in the character descriptions and episode summaries.

Note: My set included "Razor", but not "The Plan".
on September 7, 2009
Anyone that is a fan will love the Blu-ray quality and features. I only have 2 small complaints. First, there is no guide to what is on each disc, unless this was just missing from mine. Unless you have a table of contents from your DVDs you will have to have a good memory if you want to track down a specific episode. 2nd, I personally don't like having to slide the discs out of the awkward sleeves in this special boxed set - the potential for scratching is too great. I'm tempted to stick the Blu-rays in my DVD cases.
on September 7, 2009
I recently upgraded my DVD BSG collection to Blu-Ray with the purchase of this product. This review is more about the Blu-Ray version than the series itself (which I consider to be top-notch.) As expected, the picture and sound quality is excellent. This is the series as it was meant to be seen. My quibbles are more with the packaging of the Blu-Ray material as there are small annoyances which detract from the whole. Like many others, I would prefer to have an paper episode list. Also an annoyance is the storage of the disks themselves. The packaging makes it difficult to get at the individual disks. I find myself turning the whole season package upside down and shaking to get one out. I would have preferred something similar to the DVD seasons where each disk is in its own plastic space. The cardboad slot method in the Blu-Ray is clumsy, and to me, a scratched disk waiting to happen. For the price, I would have expected a bit more in the quality of packaging and presentation.
on July 25, 2010
I'd purchased season 1 and 2 and enjoyed the series enough to want the complete five years, so I bought this. I leave it to you to read other reviews to decide if you're interested in this series; my review is about the specific packaging format, not the characters, story or special effects.

The price was fantastic ($[...]CA) compared to buying each half-season (1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, etc. etc.) individually ($[...] per half-season x 5 seasons = $[...] CA) so I jumped on this set. While I still believe it was a smart choice, I wonder if the packaging layout of the half-season DVD sets was better.

I have two complaints. First, three of the DVDs had episodes that I had to watch on my laptop. Our family DVD player is 8 years old and the discs are medium-to-low quality. Our DVD player stammered and jammed to a halt during an episode on three different discs. The laptop, 2 years old, played them perfectly. The discs were not damaged in any way: no scratches or warping. They simply froze up at a certain point in the story and refused to continue. So, if you have old DVD hardware then prepare for the possibility that it will choke and you may need to swap to a newer DVD player.

My second complaint was the interior packaging. I appreciated the thin DVD cases for compactness and the heavy-stock box is good for taking to a friend's place or putting on the shelf. However, I have complaints about the program design within the DVDs. When the DVD was in the player and displaying the main menu, the discs for season 3 and onward were missing story-blurbs. For season 1 and 2, you could go to the main DVD menu and read the name of the episode, see a freeze shot from the episode and read a plot summary. That ended abruptly with season 3 and never resumed. When we'd take a break from watching for a week, then start again on a Sunday night, we had only the screen shot and the episode title as tools to recall where we'd left off a week ago. Someone in authority decided that plot summaries on the main menu were useless by season 3, which I find puzzling.

Onto the pro: The movie Razor is included with this set and was a delight to watch. I don't think it's mentioned in the product info on Amazon. While it's not necessary to the tale in it's entirety, it was a terrific surprise to discover it slotted in between the season 4 and season 5 DVDs in the case. As well, the DVDs in this set offer both versions of an episode if there was more than one cut released for it (i.e. both a director and a TV airing version were released.) Once we finish season 5, we intend to re-watch the whole set once more with the commentary turned on.

If you're into season 1 and haven't bought any further seasons, this is an excellent way to see the series without spending a lot of money. If you're into collecting the varity of sets so that you can have all the various aesthetic packaging then I suggest you skip this: this is the econo version and you'll already have much higher quality on your bookshelf.
on March 9, 2016
I am a Battlestar Galactica fan for many years following the different series including B.S. 1980. This set is perfect for anyone who is interested in space travel with realism and excellent dialogue not to mention super special effects. The story is human and one can really get into the different characters as the truth is thrust upon them to find their dream which is earth. When someone sais this is your last cup of coffee and there will never be anymore. How would a person react. This is only a small example of an inconvenience and what the survivors face during their journey you really have to see and experience with them. A must see.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2015
Great show. Much darker than Star Trek. Doesn't have separate stories. One episode leads into the next. Actually like watching a 50 hour movie. Now watching season 3 and it is subtitled for which I am very grateful. When I purchased, Amazon indicated at the time that the series was subtitled which they do NOT do now. Why? I do not know but have complained to them and get usual canned reply about forwarding to somebody and wanting to make there website a better store.

Did buy complete series for "Leverage" and it was NOT subtitled.
on March 29, 2016
My box shipped with a cut along the front of the box... which was a little disappointing. Probably one of the copies that was centered in their shipment box and got cut on accident while receiving at their warehouse. All and all, it looks pretty cool. Nice set, and amazing series to have.
on August 15, 2009
I was a fan of this show so I bought the full set on blu ray. the quality is awesome. the price AND packaging suck. 250 bucks is insanity... unless you are a major hardcore fan. for anyone else I would say wait until the price falls into line with other complete series. its definitely worth purchasing but is it worth $250??? you decide. for my money I wish they would have kept the silly action figure and knocked some coin off the price
on December 8, 2014
As a BSG fan, this is everything I expected it to be. Really enjoying it. I see other reviews seem to vary as far as whether "Razor" and "The Plan" are included. Mine has razor but not The Plan. I'm happy with it despite that.