5.0 out of 5 stars Firefly’s glow is a warm one and comes highly recommended to all
There have been few science fiction series in past memory that are as warm and memorable as Firefly. A perfectly cast crew of loveable characters (that you actually care about), well-written stories, beautiful sets, music, wardrobe and special FX blend into an intoxicatingly brilliant series. It’s a wildly fun-filled tale with wit, action, adventure and humor...
Published on Oct. 10 2012 by Jamie MacDougall

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Bad quality of Blue ray discs.
I love the show and wish that it had not been cut short.

And I highly recommend this show to anyone.

The quality of the discs on the other hand was a very large disappointment to me.

The first disc was completely unplayable, and all three discs were very dirty, like someone had thrown them in the dirt before selling them.
Published 13 months ago by William Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm such a Brown-Coat now. :P, Dec 23 2011
I've heard amazing things about Firefly, and I am so glad that I bought the Complete Series on DVD. It's amazing! I was pretty sure I'd like it because it sounds like it's right up my alley, but I didn't think that I would become hooked so fast! I watched all 14 episodes in one day...and I was ready to watch them all again right again afterwards (and that's after having watched Serenity the following day!).

This series is addictive, it's funny, and the characters are fantastic! Through each episode the characters grew on me more and more...even the one's that I wasn't sure of at first, like Jayne, I loved. They grow on you, and you definitely won't forget them anytime soon. I plan on watching this series over-and-over because I don't think I will ever be ready to let them, or their story go. :)

The fact that an amazing show like this was cancelled just makes me want to roll up into the fetal position and sob because if amazing shows like this can't stay on the air, pretty soon all we'll be left with are the crappy ones that go on for way too long. The one thing that brings me solace is that Serenity, the movie, at least gave me a bit more closure than just watching the series did. So, I totally recommend Firefly...completely, irrevocably, and enthusiastically...but you definitely want to get yourself a copy of Serenity, too because that movie is awesome and it'll help ease the pain from realizing that this is in fact the "complete" series, and that there really isn't any more...expect for the movie. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series!!, Oct. 31 2011
My roomate first introduced me to Firefly, and I have become a commited browncoat ever since!
This is an excellent series that died long before it's time. In contrast to so many shows in the sci-fi genre, Firefly incorperates both the ancient past and the distant future-- space travel and cowboys, a winning combination. Recounting the voyages/adventures of the Firefly class ship(Serenity) captained by Malcom Renyolds and a crew from several walks of life, the show sets a more realistic conception(at least in my opinion) as to what life would be like for mankind if they were to leave this rock and explore/settle various planets in the galexy. One thing I love about this series is the fact that there are no far fetched stories of alien beings or other species(unless if you count people turned savage, cannibalistic and sadistic- aka Reavers). Laying aside the many cliches so prevalent in the science fiction world, Joss Wheaton created a truly unique work about real people struggling to make a living on the far reaches of space, far from the many luxuries that civalization has to offer. I could delve deeper into the plotline, conflicts, personality clashes and character profiles that make Firefly a truly worthy addition to one's video collection(or at least one worth checking out) but as I am confident that this info is readily available to the common man, let it be sufficiant to say that as a fan of the sci-fi genre and one who appreciates cleaver writing(unlike much of the drivel being passed of as entertainment today), I would highly reccomend the series. Let me add that I am quite perplexed and somewhat saddened by the fact that Fox discontinued such a rare gem. If only a diffrent station was interested in picking it up we may have gained the answers to a number of questions and seen the resolution to several loose ends... Still, as stated in the commentary- "You can't take the sky from me". Perhaps someday They may have the chances and resources to continue the series(wishful thinking on my part)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Television, March 27 2006
Barn-Yen Li (Ottawa, Ontario) - See all my reviews
A friend of mine had been extolling the virtues of this short-lived series for years, but I thought to myself, "A Western in space? Not my thing." Even after I watched (and hugely enjoyed) Joss Whedon's other creations, _Buffy the Vampire Slayer_ and _Angel_, I still thought the premise uninteresting to me. But we ran out of other things to watch (we finished renting all available episodes of _The Sopranos_ and _The Shield_ from our local video store), so I thought it was worth at least a look on an otherwise unoccupied weekend.
I am now willing to admit that I was completely, criminally wrong. _Firefly_ is actually better than _Buffy_, which I wouldn't have thought possible. The environment (human settlements on other planetoid surfaces, five hundred years in the future, post-all-Earth political unification), is well-thought-out and complex, the characters are wonderfully intriguing, the dialogue absolutely note-perfect. We watched all fourteen episodes over a two week span and greatly resent the show's premature cancellation.
Which, actually, explains why I'm here. This is the first DVD I've ever bought -- I just ordered it now -- partly because I need to watch it again at least a few times and this is cheaper than continuing to rent it; and partly because I'm hoping to add to the DVD sales which might convince some television company somewhere to bankroll the return of _Firefly_ to the small screen.
In short -- yes, yes, by all means, buy this DVD!
"You can't take the sky from me..."

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, March 13 2006
M. Bencze "mikey" (canada) - See all my reviews
Great, great show (one of the few in my opinion). In fact, I don't think a show has ever taken me away like this one has. I really love it. I have never seen a sci-fi show like this: the character development is central, unlike much of the silly sci-fi out there. I think firefly is a mature expression of the sci-fi genre. As cool as the sci-fi scenes and ideas are on firefly, you realize that they are simply the backdrop for a wonderful story, once you get to know the characters and how much they need each other. Loads of suspense, authentic and thoroughly interesting characters (played so well might i add), great stories, and great comedy when you least expect it (I had to pause and rewind a few times because I missed dialogue over my laughter).
Question: Have you ever watched the characters in the recent star wars films try to be funny or romantic, and you end up cringing because it is so out of balance and feel with the rest of the film? Firefly succeeded where star wars has struggled.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHAME ON YOU FOX!, Jan. 4 2006
By A Customer
The Irony of a network that began by scrambling for ratings canceling this particular series dumbfounds me . This at a Time when Voyager , Star Trek TNG, Deep Space 9, and Babylon 5 had all either suffered the fate of the Dodo or were well on their way too it makes the lack of foresight at fox only more so peculiar. Infact , it makes me think those at the fox network really have no clue and ought not to be in broadcasting at all.
This series had the potential to realy give Paramount something to whine about other than " The ratings on the trekkie series aren't good enough".
The series itself is very well written and has charectors that everyone can easily follow and Identify with. ( Now compair that with trying to identify with Paris Hilton or anyone else fox has spat at us on the reality binge they have paraded on with for far too long.)
The cast in this series is actually a believable fit to a storyline which takes us away from the " oh god the world is going to ... " and back into the "What if" that realy makes A good Sci Fi interesting.

In spite of the grungy and often plain sets Firefly pushes a good story onto some good "OHH AHH" special effects ... another quality of a good Sci Fi that has been lacking in the last ... oh ... 10 years ... Save for the current Battlestar Galactica... (* HINT HINT SCI FI & Space ! THIS IS YOUR CHANCE!*)
It's really too bad that Fox and a Host of other networks have chosen to walk a path where a good program isnt what they care about ... instead , they Bombard us with the likes of the afore mentioned reality Tv.

Perhalps looking at the numbers on the sales of the DVD package will show them what good Sci fi .. and perhalps ENTERTAINMENT (* Which was supposed to be their goal*) really is ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality show that died too soon., April 25 2005
David W. Wildeboer (Lacombe, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I remember seeing the ads for this innovative program when it was first being aired and thinking it was something I wanted to watch. However, due to work committments, I missed the first couple episodes and never found it again. Then, I heard it was cancelled after a half season. Well, soon reports of a fan following of this program developed (similar to Star Trek) and when I saw the complete series on dvd, I decided to buy it. Boy, am I glad I did.
Firefly unfortunately came out during the reality tv craze. It is a fine program with excellent characters and stories, a wonderful premise, superb acting and cast, fine effects, and a great production team. Watching the 2 hour pilot on dvd and the shows in order certainly built the characters and the plot. Apparently, Fox, when originally airing this, didn't air the episodes in the order that made sense losing a fair number of viewers along the way. This program is one of the best sci-fi series ever aired. Unfortunately, it died too soon. But, like the Phoenix, it is rising from the ashes and I am eagerly anticipating the feature movie Serenity in the fall.
One thousand plus reviews can't be wrong: if you enjoy good stories, action, humor, and a little science fiction, delve into Firefly. You may be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars rented 1st 2 discs, then bought the whole set online, April 14 2005
Okay, another reviewer here suggests that if you don't believe the almost ONE THOUSAND positive reviews on amazon for this show, rent it first. you'll come back to purchase it. i am here to tell you he was right. i rented the 1st 2 discs (1st 8 episodes) from my local video store on a whim. I watched them in a single weekend, then decided to just purchase the whole set instead of renting the last 2 discs, even though i would have saved $40 by doing that.

This show is so excellent it makes me sad there are only 14 episodes. i am now counting the days to the movie premiere in september (2005). the acting, the writing, the effects are all so excellent. the humour just kills me. when was the last time you didn't know whether to laugh or gasp while watching a torture scene? that's right -- laugh! a comic torture scene! one of so many excellent scenes that i am delighted i splurged on this DVD set.

The characters are so well developed, and i love how little things in latter episodes connect to former ones. i hope the movie is so successful the series comes back to TV. someone else wrote that Firefly seems like a love letter from Joss Whedon. I'm inclined to agree. This whole series is a love letter to storytelling. And don't you jus twonder why 999 people took the time to write reviews for this show on amazon? And it keeps the 4.5 star rating. that's impressive. i love this show so much this is my 1st review for amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Serenity flying!, Feb. 28 2005
Dawn (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
The only bad thing about this series is that you'll be left wanting more, as Firefly was undeservedly prematurely cancelled by shortsighted TV execs (Now that's never happened before!!!), but the 14 episodes in existence are total gems. Excellent writing, witty dialogue, great characters that you really care about, humorous and dramatic storylines...and the list goes on!
An intriguing and entertaining blend of western and sci-fi, but even if you're not particularly a fan of either of those genres, you're sure to enjoy it.
Buy it now...you won't regret it! (Just look how many people have taken the trouble to submit reviews (this is the first time I've ever cared enough to submit one), we can't all be wrong!)
And don't despair...a film is now on the way (Serenity), due out in September 2005. (Hopefully to be followed by sequels, and, in a perfect world, resumption of the TV series!) Mark it in your diaries, and go along to your local cinema (with as many family members and friends as possible!!) and show your support for Serenity, Captain Tight-pants and the rest of the crew!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - Buy this DVD!, Aug. 24 2004
H. Deveaux "HistoryLover" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Firefly remains one of my favourite tv shows of all time. The characters are vibrant, quirky and real, their dialogue sparkles; the story lines are well developed, highly entertaining, and just great fun to watch. Joss Whedon has conceived of a future world that is believable, interesting, and well worth watching. Even the theme song is beautifully well-written. I find myself humming it all the time.
I still cannot believe the stupidity of FOX execs for first, totally screwing up the launch of the show, then messing around with the scheduling constantly, and finally cancelling it because folks were slow to figure out when it would be on! With the tremendous volumes of mindless and pointless programming on in recent years, I suppose I should not have been shocked to see one of the most intelligent and entertaining programs taken off the air to make room for more inexpensive, "reality" drivel. I have since cancelled my cable subscrption in disgust. But at least I have this DVD, and look forward with great anticipation to the launch of the movie "Serenity" next spring. "You can't take the sky from me!"
The DVD is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't know a thing., July 14 2004
J. M Quiggins "Sole_Fish" (Owensboro, Ky. USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this DVD collection on a whimsy. I could not find anything else i wanted. And i couldn't stomach Punky Brewster. I had never even seen this series. So, i looked at the packaging. Nice. I read the excerpts. Interesting. I dropped the thirty five bucks. Then, i watched it. Episode one left me feeling 'bleh'. By the end of episode 2 i began to realise i was watching one of the most enthralling television series i had ever watched. Never had i been so glued to any television program since 'V' the miniseries, or Stephen Kings' 'The Stand'. And, that is exactly what this plays out like. A powerfully orchestrated high budget mini-series. The continuing story-line is compelling. Even downright memorable. I had honest and loud physical and verbal reactions while watching this. That is how PERFECTLY they fleshed out these characters. I feel i now know them. And i am not happy they are gone. Shame on you FOX. You should've tried harder. Don't you realize that this has a true future? Dump the reality shows ,you idiots, and get this back on the air. A mix of western, a little star trek, even romance and spelunking. What an incredible ride it has been watching this set. I only wish there could be a second one. Buy this set and show the moronic TV execs what real entertainment is.

Firefly: The Complete Series
Firefly: The Complete Series by Nathan Fillion (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 37.98 CDN$ 29.99