5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tiny projector
Published on July 13 2011 by Chris Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars Neat...but just not for me!
The price was right, so I figured I would try out the pocket projector. It really is an incredible little product.

I am a teacher, and I use a projector a lot at school, for all sorts of reasons. I decided to invest in my own, so I didn't have to sign out the school one all of the time.

The pocket projector is so compact, but I found that it just...
Published on Dec 8 2011 by Go Tiges

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tiny projector, July 13 2011
Chris Taylor (Nepean, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Optoma PK201 Pico Pocket Projector (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Office Product)
I first heard of the Omtoma PICO projectors years ago. Sounded great, but at the time, you could not plug them into a video source like VGS or HDMI and project directly - you had to download material to the projector. Too limiting. But when I came across the Amazon.ca email ad with the PK201, I was intrigued - you can connect it up to a standard VGA port and use operate it at up to 1280x800 (native 854x480) or on HDMI at 1080i - WOW!

Onboard memory is tiny (28MB), so if you want to store media on the device, you might want to use a micro-SD to add up to 16 GB of storage.

The unit comes with a VGA cable and a USB cable but not the HDMI cable.

The quality is astounding for the tiny size of this unit. Quite bright, although use at largest projection sizes really needs at least a somewhat dim room.

Highly recommended for the road warrior. Even just having it as an emergency backup unit could be extremely valuable.

One thing I have an issue with - the included software from ArcSoft for converting media seems to have a problem with converting PowerPoint 2003 files on a computer with PowerPoint 2010. I get an error message saying I have to make sure PowerPoint is installed on the computer. I have not tried PowerPoint 2010 format files (which seem to be supported in the ArcSoft software because it lists (.ppt and .pptx as available file types to convert). I do not have this problem when using a computer with PowerPoint 2003 installed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I purchased it - wish I had bought 2, Jan. 17 2012
Fanchon (Cornwall, ON) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I had purchased this item when the price had fallen to less than 250$ per unit. At the time, I was looking for an alternative to having a TV in my home, as my house is less than 400 square feet. The idea of a projector was entertained, but the units seem large and bulky, though they are easy to store. When price comparing, I was amazed at how this projector could make a screen that easily matches a 50x50 and was a 1/3 of the price of a TV and could be put just about anywhere.

The projector works better in almost complete darkness, and one of my corners always seems blurrier than the rest, but I've used this to watch movies on my ceiling, in my basement, at friend's places. It plug and plays off of my netbook and off of a micro SD card.

I would suggest this to most people who want the flexibility of the minimalist lifestyle and still own STUFF. lol Buy the little stand that comes with it, it is very much for the 15$ you'll pay (or less if you buy it elsewhere I imagine).

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I want it to do, July 24 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I am very happy with the projector. It is very small and light-weight, so it is easy to carry in my bag as I travel extensively. The picture size adjustment is a little difficult since it is the distance between the viewing surface and the projector that regulates it but all in all a great little gadget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little unit, Jan. 7 2012
I had the Favi B1-LED-PICO and this is a big upgrade even if the Lumens are lower.

The first thing I noticed is that there is no fan. The Favi was extremly noisy.

The second thing is that it is much smaller and lighter. The one thing is that the Favi came with the remote and the Optoma Pico does not.

Third thing is that the Optoma has a 1 hour battery and the Favi has no battery at all.

The Optoma is 16:9 ratio and double the contrast of the 4:3 Favi.

The picture is clear and bright. Of course this is not a unit that is meant to replace your flat screen or a full size projector. I have an Optoma full size projector with 2600 Lumens and it's not in the same ball park. Don't compare apples and oranges.

I paid 200$ on the classifieds and it's worth every penny.

You might think I have it out for the Favi, I don't. Just comparing the two.

1.0 out of 5 stars Neat...but just not for me!, Dec 8 2011

The pocket projector is so compact, but I found that it just didn't have the brightness to work for me. Even with minimal light in the classroom, the students and I had difficulty seeing the picture on my white screen.

The other potential issue was that the projector was so small and light that it had trouble staying in one place. If any of the cables were touched, the projector would move drastically as well.

Like I said, it is a neat little machine, but not practical for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars 100% markup in Canada, Feb. 17 2013
Not a review, just a comment. The American Amazon site offers this item for $149.99 on sale, $199.99 normal.

What is up with the 100% markup for Canada? Some markup is understandable but that is highway robbery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for 30 hours., Oct. 30 2012
This is a very neat little device but it didnt last very long. We bought it about a year and a half ago. We have used it for maybe 40 hours of actual operation. The last time I used it, the image developed thousands of small white spots (stuck pixels?) and it has become unusable . There doesn't seem to be any way to fix this.

3.0 out of 5 stars need to know..., Sept. 27 2011
I was disappointed in the size of the print on the info card... needed a magnifier to see the print... also I have a Macbook I didn't realize that it needed extra connecting cords to go with it... now that I have everything I also discovered there is no app for the Mac... so it is strictly VGA... it works but not as easily as I had hoped...