4.0 out of 5 stars Sound great, video - not up to blue-ray spec
The first time I watched this movie, I was too inclined to compare it to the original - and that, along with Dakota Fanning's incessant screaming skewed me to underating the movie.

However, several years later, with expectations much more realistic have given me cause to raise the rating to 4 stars.

Tom Cruise gives a believable performance as a 'yet...
Published on Dec 31 2010 by Richard H. Lambert

3.0 out of 5 stars War of the Worlds [Blu-ray]
The special FX are excellent and non-stop in this movie. Acting is good. A disturbing story for sure. I have the DVD and Blu-ray issues. Blu-ray video quality marginally improved over DVD. Worth a watch but, in my biased view, will never surpass the classic 1953 original. Special features and behind-the-scenes on single disc.
Published on June 3 2010 by Brucetifer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound great, video - not up to blue-ray spec, Dec 31 2010

Tom Cruise gives a believable performance as a 'yet to grown up' father who is emotionally distanced from his children and completely overwhelmed by a situtation that would drive most adults to emotional collapse. However, with a blend of basic real-world skills and some blind luck, he is able to save his family in a constant game of outrunning the threat of an alien invasion.

Dakota Fanning, when she is not screaming, plays a believable part as the youngest of the family, and ultimately the glue that holds them together. (Although, through no skill held by that of her own character)

The effects in this movie are great, with some genuinely suspensful moments. (The basement scene with Tim Robbins as the semi-crazy survivor is brilliant for its effects and tension).

This is a great popcorn movie, with some genuinely disturbing scenes and enough new twists to liven up some well worn sci-fi territory. As such, I have now added it to my own collection with a rating of 4/5.

3.0 out of 5 stars War of the Worlds [Blu-ray], June 3 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars An under-rated and masterful movie, June 3 2010
Bruno Desjardins (Montreal) - See all my reviews
I know a lot of people did not like this movie, perhaps for the wrong reasons. I own the 1953 version, and this 2005 movie is not a remake of it, as some might have expected. In fact, Spielberg's version is much closer to the original H.G. Wells novel than it is from the 1953 motion picture. I remember reading the novel when I was 12 and it was the most terrifying book I had ever read back then. The movie offers a visual rendering of the horror I felt reading the novel. The Blu-Ray version has very good sound. The bass is overwhelming and one should be careful in order not to damage the woofers! The video, however, leaves much to be desired... Apparently Spielberg wanted to give the movie a documentary feel. So the image is very grainy, with saturation at times. The colours are far from vivid, and they are even dull... I really thought there was something wrong with my disc when I watched it, but no, that's apparently the "look & feel" that was intended... One can respect that artistic vision of Spielberg's and not be thrilled by the result in HD... A great movie, but the HD transfer is dissapointing I'm afraid...

5.0 out of 5 stars Of course, Aug. 15 2013
Spielberg being my favorite director, I was sure to like this film because I love everything that he does, because he is the Best

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Movie, June 13 2013
Ok so maybe its a little more hyped up than the original Wells radio program but you can't go wrong with Tom Cruise (or can you?). Widescreen was nice to have and put on the big plasma TV brought the theatre experience home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great SFX, great acting, great action, great film., Jan. 12 2006
A lot of people who wrote reviews say it's all action and no story. But if aliens invaded Earth, you had a claustophobic child, everyone around you is being killed, and people are killing each other for a truck, I don't think there'd be much of a story to tell except about the people running and fighting for survival. That's the type of thing Spielberg wanted to put into perspective. (I.E. If you were in the middle of WW2, you think there would be much of a story except kill the other guys and don't get youself killed?)
This is a fun film and should be taken by the perspective that if aliens seriously did invade Earth, there would be a ton more action than story.
* * * * Four stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this movie, April 21 2011
Bought the DVD because I love this movie. Still chilling after watching it a few times. If you love sci-fi, you'll love this movie. And with Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning, the acting is exactly what you'd expect in such a blockbuster.

4.0 out of 5 stars War of the Worlds, Aug. 19 2009
F. P. Jordt "perrinking" (Trail B.C.) - See all my reviews
I had to repurchase the DVD as my origional copy was damaged by a friend. It is the one most recently made and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the movie. It also has great special effects and a very touching ending; very well produced. The only drawback is that some scenes may frighten smaller children so I do not recommend small children watching it. Overall great movie.
perrinking

4.0 out of 5 stars focuses more on the human element, Aug. 21 2007
when i first saw this film in the theatres,i was not too impressed.the
movie didn't have much of an impact.however,upon watching on DVD
recently i have a different impression.i really liked it this time
around.there are some terrifying scenes,which gave me goose bumps.I
recently reviewed another movie with Tom Cruise,where i said that
although he has screen presence,i didn't think he is a good actor.i may
have to adjust my opinion on that subject,at least as far as this movie
is concerned.in this movie Cruise plays the everyman,and does a very
good job of it.he had me convinced.Dakota Fanning so far,seems to be
quite talented,but she annoyed me little in this movie.i found her too
whiny at times.Tim Robbins has what amounts to little more than a
cameo,and was just used as a plot device.as for the movie,the effects
were very good.there was CG used,but it's pretty seamless.the aliens
were very well done.this movie is more character driven,then effects
and noise.i put this movie way above "Independence Day" in terms of the
alien Invasion genre.but then,that movie focused on special effects and
spectacle more than anything else.for me "War of the Worlds is an 4/5

4.0 out of 5 stars A good movie 3.5 STARS, April 3 2006
scott (In a white house, HELP ME) - See all my reviews
A lot of bad things said about this movie. I liked it though. Speilberg is a good director but not the best. He has a bad tendency of creating stupid events or introducing pointless character(s) into a movie; almost ruining the whole movie. There are some good examples of that in this movie. Like for example the crazy old man in the basement of the house, the son running toward the war zone thinking he's a soldier and the ending of the movie. The ending was the worst part, good job Speilburger. You'll know what I'm talking about when you watch it.
Why did I rate it 3.5 stars? Because the visuals where great, good acting and nice concept designs of the aliens and alien ships. Jurassic park is still my favourite though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›