4.0 out of 5 stars focuses more on the human element
around.there are some terrifying scenes,which gave me goose bumps.I
recently reviewed another movie with Tom Cruise,where i said that
although he...
Published on Aug. 21 2007 by falcon

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't get tricked by names...
It's actually frustrating to see a work of art being produced over and over zealously for monetary gain. I'm not implying that it's been performed not to my liking; I'm here to merely say that it's pointless to re-re-reproduce a classic, making people wonder about what the original was.
I was sold when I saw "Director: Steven Spielberg"; "LeadActor:...
Published on March 28 2006 by alper bac

movie didn't have much of an impact.however,upon watching on DVD
recently i have a different impression.i really liked it this time
around.there are some terrifying scenes,which gave me goose bumps.I
recently reviewed another movie with Tom Cruise,where i said that
although he has screen presence,i didn't think he is a good actor.i may
have to adjust my opinion on that subject,at least as far as this movie
is concerned.in this movie Cruise plays the everyman,and does a very
good job of it.he had me convinced.Dakota Fanning so far,seems to be
quite talented,but she annoyed me little in this movie.i found her too
whiny at times.Tim Robbins has what amounts to little more than a
cameo,and was just used as a plot device.as for the movie,the effects
were very good.there was CG used,but it's pretty seamless.the aliens
were very well done.this movie is more character driven,then effects
and noise.i put this movie way above "Independence Day" in terms of the
alien Invasion genre.but then,that movie focused on special effects and
spectacle more than anything else.for me "War of the Worlds is an 4/5

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't get tricked by names..., March 28 2006
alper bac (Etobicoke, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I was sold when I saw "Director: Steven Spielberg"; "LeadActor: Tom Cruise". I guess Tom have opted in for business, for I have seen many movies of him which had better impact. For Spielberg, it couldn't be more hypothetical. A director who gained world-wide recognition and fame for capitalizing upon human aspect in every given story, this production seems to be the worst he has chosen so far. So aliens invade... We don't even see any hero who actually changes the flow of events. Granted, that's how the story goes, but what kind of insight do we get from the movie? Other than nice effects and execution, the story itself is enough to bring Spielberg's reputation down.
Humans did not win that war. The viruses did. There was a pathetic attempt to make you identify with humans in distress, by throwing in a broken family.
If not only facts, also the way we percept and accept things change. I wouldn't daresay that the earlier science fiction stories by, say Edgar Allan Poe or Arthur C. Clark is ridiculous because they are obsolete. I rather say, just forget this story with a poorly picked name. The whole movie can be summarized in one sentence. If those producers of the filming industry want to make money, they better start reading science fiction except browsing for stuff to rehash.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's just names that are selling..., March 28 2006
alper bac (Etobicoke, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A good movie 3.5 STARS, April 3 2006
scott (In a white house, HELP ME) - See all my reviews
A lot of bad things said about this movie. I liked it though. Speilberg is a good director but not the best. He has a bad tendency of creating stupid events or introducing pointless character(s) into a movie; almost ruining the whole movie. There are some good examples of that in this movie. Like for example the crazy old man in the basement of the house, the son running toward the war zone thinking he's a soldier and the ending of the movie. The ending was the worst part, good job Speilburger. You'll know what I'm talking about when you watch it.
Why did I rate it 3.5 stars? Because the visuals where great, good acting and nice concept designs of the aliens and alien ships. Jurassic park is still my favourite though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great SFX, great acting, great action, great film., Jan. 12 2006
A lot of people who wrote reviews say it's all action and no story. But if aliens invaded Earth, you had a claustophobic child, everyone around you is being killed, and people are killing each other for a truck, I don't think there'd be much of a story to tell except about the people running and fighting for survival. That's the type of thing Spielberg wanted to put into perspective. (I.E. If you were in the middle of WW2, you think there would be much of a story except kill the other guys and don't get youself killed?)
This is a fun film and should be taken by the perspective that if aliens seriously did invade Earth, there would be a ton more action than story.
* * * * Four stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound great, video - not up to blue-ray spec, Dec 31 2010
This review is from: War of the Worlds / La Guerre des mondes (Bilingual) (2005) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The first time I watched this movie, I was too inclined to compare it to the original - and that, along with Dakota Fanning's incessant screaming skewed me to underating the movie.

However, several years later, with expectations much more realistic have given me cause to raise the rating to 4 stars.

Tom Cruise gives a believable performance as a 'yet to grown up' father who is emotionally distanced from his children and completely overwhelmed by a situtation that would drive most adults to emotional collapse. However, with a blend of basic real-world skills and some blind luck, he is able to save his family in a constant game of outrunning the threat of an alien invasion.

Dakota Fanning, when she is not screaming, plays a believable part as the youngest of the family, and ultimately the glue that holds them together. (Although, through no skill held by that of her own character)

The effects in this movie are great, with some genuinely suspensful moments. (The basement scene with Tim Robbins as the semi-crazy survivor is brilliant for its effects and tension).

This is a great popcorn movie, with some genuinely disturbing scenes and enough new twists to liven up some well worn sci-fi territory. As such, I have now added it to my own collection with a rating of 4/5.

3.0 out of 5 stars War of the Worlds [Blu-ray], June 3 2010
The special FX are excellent and non-stop in this movie. Acting is good. A disturbing story for sure. I have the DVD and Blu-ray issues. Blu-ray video quality marginally improved over DVD. Worth a watch but, in my biased view, will never surpass the classic 1953 original. Special features and behind-the-scenes on single disc.

2.0 out of 5 stars A flop, March 14 2006
By A Customer
Bad acting, Tom Cruise is especially bad and amateurish, impossible to believe in his character.
Very bad script.
Uneven special effect quality.
Good to great sound track and sound effect, the one and only quality to this movie, good enough to warrant watching this...once. Rent if you can, don't buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars An under-rated and masterful movie, June 3 2010
Bruno Desjardins (Montreal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I know a lot of people did not like this movie, perhaps for the wrong reasons. I own the 1953 version, and this 2005 movie is not a remake of it, as some might have expected. In fact, Spielberg's version is much closer to the original H.G. Wells novel than it is from the 1953 motion picture. I remember reading the novel when I was 12 and it was the most terrifying book I had ever read back then. The movie offers a visual rendering of the horror I felt reading the novel. The Blu-Ray version has very good sound. The bass is overwhelming and one should be careful in order not to damage the woofers! The video, however, leaves much to be desired... Apparently Spielberg wanted to give the movie a documentary feel. So the image is very grainy, with saturation at times. The colours are far from vivid, and they are even dull... I really thought there was something wrong with my disc when I watched it, but no, that's apparently the "look & feel" that was intended... One can respect that artistic vision of Spielberg's and not be thrilled by the result in HD... A great movie, but the HD transfer is dissapointing I'm afraid...

5.0 out of 5 stars Of course, Aug. 15 2013
Spielberg being my favorite director, I was sure to like this film because I love everything that he does, because he is the Best

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›