march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: DVD|Change

on January 14, 2003
When I bought Disney's Beauty and the Beast "Special Platinum Edition" I was expecting just that, a high quality film with added extras not contained on the original. Instead, what I found myself with was a tampered work of art, a disgraced former masterpiece. The entire movie looks like it has had it's color stripped from it and repainted with bargain bin paints. No longer are there rich colors, sharp contrasts, and beautiful sceney, but now the film looks worse than it's straight to video sequel. The cover looks great, that's what the film used to look like, but the actual DVD is no where near that good looking. Some of the animation looks like it has had some of its detail removed and when I was watching it seemed like some of the frame rate was reduced because of the sluggish movement of the characters mouths when speaking. It is a completely different movie and I have since returned my copy and stuck with my original release. Some of the games and extra features are interesting and entertaining, but that's really like saying a TV show was awful, but there was a funny commercial here and there. I wish Disney would stop messing around with their work and just leave it the way we all saw it and loved it in the theaters. Walt would have never let something like this leave the studio if he were still running it, and that's the bottom line.
on August 19, 2013
It's obvious to see why Disney nearly won an Oscar for 'Beauty and the Beast'. The magical story of Belle, the beautiful but independant peasant girl and the Beast, with the soul of a prince trapped in a frightening animal, is as timeless as any movie can get. Securing Disney's stellar reputation as the third film made during the so-called 'Renaissance Age' (beginning with 'The Little Mermaid' and ending with 'Tarzan'), the songs will stay with you forever, the characters will warm your heart from the very beginning and the stunning animation will enrapture you.

Of course, I'm biased in my opinion because it's my favourite Disney film of all time.
on December 7, 2010
Although I live neither in a cave nor on Mars, I only saw Beauty for the first time a few weeks ago (2010). I had to have a copy. It's the finest animated feature I've ever seen and one of the best movies of any kind. Walt Disney's goal in the 1930s was to make first-rate movies for the whole family and Beauty is exactly that. The music, animation, screenplay and characters are very close to flawless. Everything fits. Everything works.
It sounds like the best of Broadway, will bring laughs and tears, yet Belle and the Beast have their noble characters very well developed. It's a total joy to watch, regardless of your age!
on June 17, 2004
It is quite rare for any animated film to be treated with the same respect as any other honored non-animated one. In BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, directors Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale take the time-worn fairy tale of the outwardly loathsome beast who impossibly enough allows his inner nobility to shine forth sufficiently to cause the beauty to fall in love with him. Robby Benson is the voice of the Beast and Paige O'Hara is Beauty. Even for those readers familiar with the spoken tale or the revamped music video with Meatloaf as the Beast cannot help but allow themselves to be entranced with the seamless melding of sight to sound. The plot is simplicity itself with the Beast as the archetypal symbol of the rebirth of nobility long hidden by the evil spell of an unnamed wizard. There is nothing childish in the unfolding of the tale of Belle the Beauty who chooses to sacrifice herself in marriage to save the life of her doddering inventor father. Enter the Beast who is initially presented as the roaring brute that his tormenting wizard clearly intended him to be. Yet, as Belle ministers to his psychic wounds of self-loathing and his physical wounds incurred in defending her against a pack of wolves, the viewer can see a competing spell at work, one that is older than time itself--the power of love that the film's many songs allude to and function as as subtext that imbues it with timeless energy. There is, of course, some needed plot complications of unwanted attention heaped on Belle by the handsome but warped Gaston, who plots to snare Belle in marriage as firmly as he would stalk a reindeer for its antlers. As Gaston leads the villagers in an assault on the Beast's manor, one is reminded in reverse of the cliched villagers pounding at the walls of Doctor Frankenstein's castle, but in this case the attack in presented in comic tones that keep the real world of harm at bay.
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST has no down moments, with each fresh plot advancement heralded by stunningly effective animation and song. This film was a deserved nominee for Best Picture in 1991, and with repeated viewings, one may rest assured that the alternately gloomy and resplendent halls of the Beast will eternally resonate with the same cachet that gives Tara, Oz, or Rick's Cafe a ticket that allows the bearer to see just how awesome the human spirit can be.
on March 3, 2004
I'm not one of those people who are impressed with the Pixar animation type films (i.e. "Toy Story", "A Bug's Life" etc.), so it comes very easily to me to praise "Beauty and the Beast". More than a decade after its theatrical debut, it still stands as my favorite Disney film, along with the brilliant "The Little Mermaid". There are not enough words that describe how superior and masterful this film really is. From the lushly detailed animation, to the amazingly structured characters to the award-winning songs to the haunting score. Everything about this film is top-notch. Ever since I watched this film in the theatre in 1992, it holds a special place in my heart. When you mention "Disney" to me, it can only mean "Beauty and the Beast". The thing I most love about this masterpiece is the Broadway-feel the directors gave to it. Songs such as "Belle" (and the reprise), "Be Our Guest" and "The Mob Song" are pure Broadway songs, thanks to the talented Alan Manken and Howard Ashman. But it's also the way the direction. The reprise of "Belle" is the most breathtaking scene in the film. Belle sings about wanting "much more than this provincial life" and the scenery of this song is stunning with Belle seen running in the hills - reminiscent of Julie Andrews in "The Sound Of Music". The film also won 2 Academy Awards in 1992 for best song (the title song) and for its magnificent score. Not to be missed!
on February 16, 2004
WIthout a doubt the most lovely Disney movie ever. Actually one of the best movies ever. This newly restored eddition is so wonderful. It has tons of extras that everybody loves, that are also extremely facinating. They have the original music video with Celine Dion singing Beauty and the Beast which is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The newly restored version of the movie is breathtaking. I remember being mezmerized with it when I was growing up. I thought it was the best movie ever and today I still think it is the best (Well only Sound of Music tops it). This movie is one of the best love stories ever written and there is a reason it was the first animated movie to be nominated for an oscar. If you don't have this you are missing out on the most amazing movies ever!
on May 1, 2004
I've loved this movie since the first day I saw it in the theatre. This DVD just brings it all back. The new song does add to the movie, and the extras are fantastic. The "salvaging" of the original film is really noticeable. Everything looks so beautiful! An added plus: My 19 month old likes it, too! A must own!
on October 11, 2009
People often think of Disney movies as the best part of their childhood, some talk of those made before Walt Disney's death in 1966, others talk of the revival that Disney movies received from 1989 to 1999. I am a mixture of the two, the early and the later. But my favourite Disney movie ever has to be Beauty and the Beast. This movie always makes me feel good about myself and life in general. I cry in the beginning, in the middle and at the end. I always finish this movie with a smile. This movie is also the only animated feature ever to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. The music is spectacular and the animation is breathtaking. It is a wonderful movie, made in the middle of Disney's revival. I know that Walt Disney would be proud.
on February 21, 2014
This was for a birthday present for a daughter of a friend of ours. I searched everywhere in town and honestly could not find a copy. :-( So I found it on Amazon! Great!
I ordered it and watched the disc to be sure. It had NO region, so that instantly tipped me off that it was rip from the original. The video quality was also not as good as what the original DVD should have.

Be aware when purchasing "used" DVDs. Sometimes they are not checked for quality/authenticity BEFORE the shipper ships them.

I did contact the seller and decided not to return the DVDs because it had already been given as a gift and the quality was acceptable, if not entirely perfect.
on February 27, 2004
Disney's has lots of hits over the years,but the period from 1989-1995 brought Disney back to their magical height again. Starting from Disney's Little Mermaid all the way to Disney's Pocahontas. But one magical film details this period wonderfully,Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
I remember watching this movie in 5th grade in my classroom. And I loved it. From the characters to the dramatic settings,that take place in France. This film is one of the coupe-de-grande films of all time,and the ballroom dancing scene? An original and most cherished scene.
I'd recommend this.