5.0 out of 5 stars Viewing a treat
Published on March 14 2012 by Bill D.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip-off
Published on Dec 26 2010 by TWM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip-off, Dec 26 2010
TWM (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony USB Wireless LAN Adapter (UWABR100) (Personal Computers)
Sony made their Blu-ray DVD players Wi-Fi compatible, PROVIDED you buy this hugely overpriced network adapter. It's a shame - they made it proprietary, so nobody can use a regular Wi-Fi adapter (costing less than half) - a greedy bad-move from Sony. The result is that very few people buy the device - the adapter costs more than the Blu-ray player! Very sad indeed, greedy and poor marketing from Sony. Save your money and buy Samsung, LG, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works like it should but too expensive, Dec 19 2012
No issues with the performace, but the price Sony sells these for is stupid. I have always been a big Sony supporter, but the way they handled their "wifi ready" TV's is misleading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Viewing a treat, March 14 2012
The product opened a wide range of services that I did not know about when I registered. I had purchased the product to specifically enjoy Netflix. When I registered the product and connected to the network there were additional chioces offered. Connecting the adapter is a snap. Step by step guides to registering your product and connecting to your wifi were provided. The adapter is working fine and no problems have been experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly even two floors below the home router!, May 17 2013
Byrna - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The setup was a cinch. Just plug in the adapter to the USB extension cable which is plugged into the back of the Sony blu-ray player (in this case, it was a BDP-S370), enter your router's network password and that's it!

Watched streaming HD movie portions from Netflix to test it, like "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" and the beginning action scene (chimps being chased and captured) was smooth in every way, with the video quality set to highest in Netflix. Signal strength is about 3 out of 5 but this is with an older model wireless G Linksys router (WRT-54G2 to be exact) on cable internet of about 7-8Mbps maximum download speed.

A bit pricey considering it's for a discontinued blu-ray players but at least it makes watching streaming movies comfortable, from in front of your TV on your couch, not stuck on an office chair in front of your computer!

Highly recommended for those who don't want to buy a Wi-Fi capable TV or don't have the budget for one now.

5.0 out of 5 stars UWA-BR100 Wireless Adapter, Nov. 15 2012
Works great on my blu-ray player. Easy to setup. For some reason I couldn't get it working directly from my Bravio television.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as anticipated, Nov. 29 2013
We purchased this item so our Blu-ray player would be Wi-Fi adaptable and it does serve that purpose but we still can't surf the internet as the player remote doesn't facilitate this. Since this device occupies the one usb port on the player, we can't use the plug-in for our iPod at the same time. The only benefit for us is to access Netflix which is not even a better option than what we had, using a HDMI cable from our HD Laptop. We may discover options in the future but I expect they will incur a further cost. For us, the cost of this device was not worth the benefit but the item works well and was delivered promptly

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly!, Jan. 18 2014
Since our wireless router conked out, we haven't been able to get our netflix on our TV. My husband suggested getting as USB adapter, and boy does it work great. It connected immediately to our network, is smooth streaming, we seldom have glitches in our broadcasts (unless it's a netflix issue) and can use the TV for surfing the net now too! I wish we would have switched to a USB adapter sooner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why pay for this?, Feb. 23 2012
Why pay for this when you can get a wifi blu-ray for $99? Sony wifi programming is so-so. You aren't missing much if you don't get it. Netflix doesn't have the movies you really want to see. Option to rent HD movies online is nice. Note: This adapter is compatible with ONLY SONY players!!

If you have a Mac and/or iPhone, consider Apple TV.

3.0 out of 5 stars When one has to have something... one orders it..., Feb. 27 2013
There really isn't anything to like or dislike about this product. I had to have it in order for my Sony DVD player to connect to our wireless internet.
It annoys me that Sony makes you buy their own brand, as I had to pay an extra $30 compared to the 'best' brand sold locally.
It does work well.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., Feb. 5 2013
Too high a price for such item. But it works perfectly as needed. You can buy cheaper an non-proprietary wifi adapters elsewhere. They just dont work on the stereo unit. Sony either build it in the unit or atleast offer non-proprietary equipment with the product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sony USB Wireless LAN Adapter (UWABR100)
Used & New from: CDN$ 296.47