5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!
Published on Oct. 11 2012 by GiniK

2.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily
First of all I am a huge Kitchenaid fan, and I love most of their products except for this one...

I Had this item for only a few months before it broke,

Published on May 20 2011 by Mikespoon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily, May 20 2011
This review is from: KitchenAid KPEXTA Stand Mixer Gourmet Pasta Press (Kitchen)

I Had this item for only a few months before it broke,

- To use it properly, you need a more powerful stand mixer, the basic model will just not cut it, the engine forces itself to much. Remember it is pushing pasta dough through it, and with entry level stand mixers, the unit gets really hot.
- It is really tough to clean, you need to open up the unit and no matter what dough gets trapped inside.
- It can make a number of pastas, but for spaghetti, it is long to do (I would suggest you get the rollers for those) It is good at making the large macaroni, but besides that, it is super slow.
- With the exception of a few parts, it is entirely plastic, and what happened to mine is that the pasta dough being extruded broke the plastic.

Good luck to anyone who gets this, I hope it goes better for them

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, Oct. 11 2012
I just purchased my pasta extruder and absolutely love it! The dough recipe needs much more water than indicated, but I have many more recipies to draw from. I used the large macaroni extruder and made the best macaroni ever! I did not have a hard time cleaning anything. I just let the extra pasta dry and it popped out. I also have a professional model so my mixer only got slightly warm. Each noodle was perfect and tasted wonderful! Thank you so much KitchenAid. No more purchased pasta for this girl!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Extruder., Dec 17 2012
I bought the KA pasta extruder a month ago without knowing much about it and without having done any research. I had not seen it on offer at the TSC previously and had 2 months to return it so I thought I would take a chance on it. I had bought the Pasta Roller/Fettucine Maker pasta attachment with my original purchase and while I really liked that, I wanted to be able to make other kinds of pasta and not just fettucine.

I am so excited with this purchase. I have now made pasta twice and quite successfully. I am still learning having been completely self-taught from the internet - isn't the internet wonderful! I don't use eggs and so have only made eggless pasta only. The first time my pasta dough was a little too moist for the extruder. By normal standards it was not moist at all but the extruder needs a really dry dough. So, the bucatini and macaroni that I made the first time were good didn't hold their shapes that well. Yesterday however, I made rigatoni and used a firmer dough: dough that barely came together and this time the rigatoni turned out perfect! I am loving this machine. People have complained about it being difficult to clean but yesterday, as a result of my very stiff dough, the extruder plates came apart in three pieces which I hadn't realised that they could and as a result, clean-up was a breeze.

I think if you make egg-based fresh pasta you will need to ensure that the dough is fairly dry - you may have a trial and error period. I have read that the recipes for egg pasta that come with the machine are not that good for the extruder.

I have not been able to dismantle the wire-cutter from the unit - it came all assembled. According to the instructions I should be able to but I can't seem to figure out how. As it is easy to clean even when assembled, this I can live with.

Another point to note is that when the unit arrives, the plates are stored in a plastic case fitted to the unit. It was by accident I was able to get them apart. It was very tough to separate them. You have to press the middle of the transparent case to release the case. There are no instructions for this.

Anyway, apart from the above my experience so far has been great.

I bought the KA Professional series in the summer this year and I am really thrilled with the machine overall. I bought the mincer attachment, shredder and juicer attachments as well and I am very pleased with all of them. I also bought the smaller bowl that fits into this unit with the special all-around whisk/beater and am loving that too.

All in all, a great purchase.

FYI, most extruded pasta is made with semolina flour, water and salt only. My recipe is 2 cups of semolina flour, between 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of water and salt. I add one tbs of olive oil. Be careful with the water as pasta dough needs to be silky and dry and for the extruder even drier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product! It broke my mixer!, Dec 28 2012
I got the Pasta Press for my wife for Christmas and she decided a few days later to try it out. She carefully read and followed all the directions, hooked it up to her Professional Bowl-Lift stand mixer and proceeded to make some pasta. A few minutes in there was a loud noise and grinding! The pasta press had seized up completely causing the gears inside the mixer to grind together. She removed the pasta press and tried the mixer to find it now made a clunk and grinding noise. I took the mixer apart and we could see pieces of metal that had shaved off the gears. I cleaned out the bits and tried to run it again. Nope. Same grinding noise. The only fix was to completely remove the gear that operates the attachment port. Kitchenaid has offered to replace the press (no thanks!) and for the mixer, all they'll do is offer a "pro-rated" price on a new one. A whopping $350! That's a deal apparently. No thanks again. We can get a new one for less than that at Costco. Not a happy camper at all with the service or the product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Where have you been all my life?, July 18 2013
Like many Kichen Aid products, this is a keeper. A novist or just starting out...you will have to practice getting your dough just the right texture to enable the extruder to fuction at its best. The feed port is very small and you will spend much time using the dough pusher attachment towards the agur (much easier than making by hand). Storing the plates on top with a cover is was a great move and although you will have to remove it while in use, the plates stay locked into the plastic hub so you never have to worry about misplacing any of them. When your finished and relaxing with your coffee/tea, make sure you bring a toothpick to remove left over pieces of dough from plates. It helps if you let them dry first. Again...much faster than grandma use to make it. This product can be passed down to your kids and will last for many, many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pasta Extruder, June 21 2013
I still haven't managed to make the fusilli twist, but this attachment is great. Follow the instructions, use as directed and all will be well. I am especially fond of the bucatini plate, hollow spaghetti, just dandy. Arrived on time and in good working order

5.0 out of 5 stars Love....Love...Love this Product!, April 17 2013
This attachment for my stand mixer is amazing. I have made spaghetti and macaroni and it is the best tasting pasta ever. This is simply an attachment you should not do without. Clean up is easy. Just let the die sit overnight to dry and the pasta comes right out of the threads and holes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal On Price. Great Deal On Shipping. Worth Waiting For The Sale. Amazon Was Perfect!!, April 9 2013
Chad Hubble - See all my reviews
We've had our mixer for 5 years now and kept putting off buying attachments because of the price. As soon as I saw this on sale at Amazon for 40% Off (YES, 40% Off) I bought it. Now we are making our own pasta, not the store bought stuff. And we are making it fresh for each meal, not in bulk. Yummy and saving money! Very easy to use right from the get-go. Takes a little timing on cutting the pasta as it comes out but you'll get into a rhythm in no time flat. Not as easy as opening a bag of pre-made dry pasta but the extra effort is well worth it and you can make your own pasta flavours. We are also making our own sauces every meal with a blender. The two combinations of fresh pasta and fresh sauce for each meal...sigh. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, Jan. 24 2013
made pasta with it and it worked flawlessly ..i know i will use this often ...i do not regret this purchase at all ...great product.

after a few times making pasta with it , it started making some noises and it was getting hot where the shaft is ..so i took it apart and noticed there was no grease on the shaft and the bearing...so i just greased it with some heat proof non toxic grease ..it doesn't get hot or make noise anymore .

its pretty easy to do ..just 3 screws and the shaft comes right out

5.0 out of 5 stars Très bon achat, Nov. 17 2014
Facile d'utilisation et d'entretien. Pour ceux qui se plaignent du fait que l'appareil soit fait de plastique, je n'y vois aucun inconvénient: le plastique est robuste et les plaques sont faites de métal. L'instrument, la clé, servant à dévisser la bague et enfoncer la pâte est fort utile et pas du tout un gadget. Je fais des futtuccinis et spaghettis "plats" depuis des années avec les rouleaux KitchenAid. Mais quelle joie de pouvoir maintenant faire des pâtes maison de toutes formes surtout les rigatonis, spaghettis "ronds" (en tube), macaronis... Enfin, le fil de métal coupant fait bien le travail. Certains se sont plaints que leur KitchenAid avait rendu l'âme en utilisant le Pasta Press; c'était ma principale crainte car j'ai un vieux mixer de 300 Watts. J'ai utilisé mon Pasta Press une bonne dizaine de fois et il n'y a aucun problème. Bien sûr l'appareil devient chaud car le moteur travaille; mais aucune surchauffe. Bref, un achat fort satisfaisant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›