5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Extruder.
Published on Dec 17 2012 by FIfi

2.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily
First of all I am a huge Kitchenaid fan, and I love most of their products except for this one...

I Had this item for only a few months before it broke,

Published on May 20 2011 by Mikespoon

2.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily, May 20 2011
Mikespoon - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: KitchenAid KPEXTA Stand Mixer Gourmet Pasta Press (Kitchen)

I Had this item for only a few months before it broke,

- To use it properly, you need a more powerful stand mixer, the basic model will just not cut it, the engine forces itself to much. Remember it is pushing pasta dough through it, and with entry level stand mixers, the unit gets really hot.
- It is really tough to clean, you need to open up the unit and no matter what dough gets trapped inside.
- It can make a number of pastas, but for spaghetti, it is long to do (I would suggest you get the rollers for those) It is good at making the large macaroni, but besides that, it is super slow.
- With the exception of a few parts, it is entirely plastic, and what happened to mine is that the pasta dough being extruded broke the plastic.

Good luck to anyone who gets this, I hope it goes better for them

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Extruder., Dec 17 2012
I bought the KA pasta extruder a month ago without knowing much about it and without having done any research. I had not seen it on offer at the TSC previously and had 2 months to return it so I thought I would take a chance on it. I had bought the Pasta Roller/Fettucine Maker pasta attachment with my original purchase and while I really liked that, I wanted to be able to make other kinds of pasta and not just fettucine.

I am so excited with this purchase. I have now made pasta twice and quite successfully. I am still learning having been completely self-taught from the internet - isn't the internet wonderful! I don't use eggs and so have only made eggless pasta only. The first time my pasta dough was a little too moist for the extruder. By normal standards it was not moist at all but the extruder needs a really dry dough. So, the bucatini and macaroni that I made the first time were good didn't hold their shapes that well. Yesterday however, I made rigatoni and used a firmer dough: dough that barely came together and this time the rigatoni turned out perfect! I am loving this machine. People have complained about it being difficult to clean but yesterday, as a result of my very stiff dough, the extruder plates came apart in three pieces which I hadn't realised that they could and as a result, clean-up was a breeze.

I think if you make egg-based fresh pasta you will need to ensure that the dough is fairly dry - you may have a trial and error period. I have read that the recipes for egg pasta that come with the machine are not that good for the extruder.

I have not been able to dismantle the wire-cutter from the unit - it came all assembled. According to the instructions I should be able to but I can't seem to figure out how. As it is easy to clean even when assembled, this I can live with.

Another point to note is that when the unit arrives, the plates are stored in a plastic case fitted to the unit. It was by accident I was able to get them apart. It was very tough to separate them. You have to press the middle of the transparent case to release the case. There are no instructions for this.

Anyway, apart from the above my experience so far has been great.

I bought the KA Professional series in the summer this year and I am really thrilled with the machine overall. I bought the mincer attachment, shredder and juicer attachments as well and I am very pleased with all of them. I also bought the smaller bowl that fits into this unit with the special all-around whisk/beater and am loving that too.

All in all, a great purchase.

FYI, most extruded pasta is made with semolina flour, water and salt only. My recipe is 2 cups of semolina flour, between 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of water and salt. I add one tbs of olive oil. Be careful with the water as pasta dough needs to be silky and dry and for the extruder even drier.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, Oct. 11 2012
I just purchased my pasta extruder and absolutely love it! The dough recipe needs much more water than indicated, but I have many more recipies to draw from. I used the large macaroni extruder and made the best macaroni ever! I did not have a hard time cleaning anything. I just let the extra pasta dry and it popped out. I also have a professional model so my mixer only got slightly warm. Each noodle was perfect and tasted wonderful! Thank you so much KitchenAid. No more purchased pasta for this girl!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken shear pin cannot be replaced., Nov. 19 2014
First off let me say that Kitchenaid refused to publish this review on their own website after it went through a moderation process, without telling me why. Here it is:

My shear pin broke on some stiff ramen dough. A call to customer service tells me that they do not offer replacement parts for the rollers, and my only option is to re-buy them. I don't think I'll waste another $250 and wait for the same part to break again. A shear pin for those who don't know is a small brass pin that is designed to break if the rollers are overloaded (think of getting your hair caught) and then be easily replaced. In this case, it should not have sheared off under a stiff dough load and if it did, it should absolutely be replaceable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has significant limitations, Jan. 28 2014
I really enjoy the regular pasta maker (making sheets and then the variety of other pasta's that can be made from the sheet.) The extruder is _very_ particular about the consistency of the dough. Even then I've had limited success with several of the discs. Also, don't forget to add ~1 serving to your dough to account for what is left in the extruder at the end. Cleaning is also time consuming; it doesn't just fall out when dry as suggested by the instructions. Certainly not what I had hoped for when purchasing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't go back to hand crank!, Dec 30 2014
used to own a manual crank pasta maker. It worked, got the job done, and the pasta tasted great. But once I got a new KitchenAid, my mind started to wander toward the easier ways of making my own pasta. I saw the pasta roller and cutter set on sale and was bound to try out my new attachments.

They are heavy and well built, I have no concerns of these bending, breaking, or failing any time soon. They were also very easy to attach to the main unit.

I mixed my dough and got to work. This set made my job so much easier. In no time flat, I had enough spaghetti to easily feed 8 people with enough left for dinner the next night. You keep rolling it one setting at a time to the desired thickness, then once through the cutter, and voila - perfect pasta. I'll never make it by hand crank again!

5.0 out of 5 stars These items are great. They are incredibly easy to use, Jan. 27 2015
These items are great. They are incredibly easy to use, and easy to clean. I have found however, that many of the recipes in the book need slight modifications (usually adding more water). Regardless, I purchased these items for the roller and cutters, not the recipe book. I would definitely recommend these items.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where have you been all my life?, July 18 2013
Like many Kichen Aid products, this is a keeper. A novist or just starting out...you will have to practice getting your dough just the right texture to enable the extruder to fuction at its best. The feed port is very small and you will spend much time using the dough pusher attachment towards the agur (much easier than making by hand). Storing the plates on top with a cover is was a great move and although you will have to remove it while in use, the plates stay locked into the plastic hub so you never have to worry about misplacing any of them. When your finished and relaxing with your coffee/tea, make sure you bring a toothpick to remove left over pieces of dough from plates. It helps if you let them dry first. Again...much faster than grandma use to make it. This product can be passed down to your kids and will last for many, many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal On Price. Great Deal On Shipping. Worth Waiting For The Sale. Amazon Was Perfect!!, April 9 2013
We've had our mixer for 5 years now and kept putting off buying attachments because of the price. As soon as I saw this on sale at Amazon for 40% Off (YES, 40% Off) I bought it. Now we are making our own pasta, not the store bought stuff. And we are making it fresh for each meal, not in bulk. Yummy and saving money! Very easy to use right from the get-go. Takes a little timing on cutting the pasta as it comes out but you'll get into a rhythm in no time flat. Not as easy as opening a bag of pre-made dry pasta but the extra effort is well worth it and you can make your own pasta flavours. We are also making our own sauces every meal with a blender. The two combinations of fresh pasta and fresh sauce for each meal...sigh. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! I can't believe how much fun it was ..., Aug. 5 2014
Awesome! I can't believe how much fun it was making pasta with this roller attachment! Our lasagna was fantastic! We rolled our pasta sheets much thinner than the directions suggested and we found the thinner sheets to work just as well. Plus you get more out of the one batch recipe - allowing you to make extra lasagna or whatever you wish.

KitchenAid KPEXTA Stand Mixer Gourmet Pasta Press