5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect AA flashlight!, July 10 2014
Tidgey - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Streamlight 88033 Protac Tactical Flashlight 2AA with White LED Includes 2 "AA" Alkaline Batteries and Holster (Black) (Tools & Hardware)
If you're looking for the brightest flashlight of this guy's size, you're looking at the wrong light. If you're looking for a great, optimal solution for light, continue your read.

To start things off, it uses AA batteries. I don't buy ANYTHING that uses CR123s for a few reasons:
- They're uncommon
- They're expensive
- Not many places sell them
- Not many people know what they are

AA batteries however, are everywhere. Forgot your extra set of batteries at home? No worries, 7-11 will have some. Since buying this thing, I haven't needed to replace the batteries yet. Currently I'm using a set a Duracell batteries (don't use cheap batteries), but I'm planning to use my Eneloop rechargeables once they run out. AA batteries are CHEAP! Here on Amazon, you can buy 24 Duracell AA batteries for around $20. Good CR123 batteries can cost anywhere from $5-$8 PER BATTERY.

The only advantage CR123s have on AA batteries is their output. They're 3V instead of 1.5V, which is what AA batteries are. Meaning, a flashlight that uses 2 CR123 batteries will be a lot brighter than a flashlight that uses 2 AA batteries. However, brighter means more power will be used, which means your batteries will run out quicker.

Cycling through this light's modes is easy:
Hold down, or press once for full brightness.
Tap once, then hold down for a strobe.
Tap twice, then hold down for low brightness.

The little case it comes with is also useful. Optimal for placing on a belt, however, I've placed mine on my backpack's shoulder strap about where the heart would be. It just sits there until I need it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Streamlights never disapoint, May 20 2014
Very bright penlight! Typical Streamlight in construction, well built and should last a lifetime. Although on the slightly larger side to keep in your pocket or coveralls it works well for a lot of different uses. I use this for Automotive applications as well as other household use, I also use a Stylus Pro, I find I use my Stylus Pro more because its a perfect size to keep in your pocket or clipped on without getting in the way and it's more than bright enough even though the Protac blows it out of the water in that respect, and I found the batteries last way longer on my Pro. I also don't like how the clip is designed on this light though, it tends to fall off of the light itself fairly easy, and the battery life isn't the best. Overall though it's a nice little light to have around the house or in the toolbox

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright light, complicated switch., May 31 2013
soryu2222 (Hamilton ,ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
It's a push button so it should be simple, but cycling through the modes and programs requires part depression of the button. Rapid full clicks would be far easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased, Nov. 15 2012
Shipping was free and fast, the flashlight itself is exactly as on the picture. I'm very pleased with it so far. It's small and easily fits in the pocket and it's solidly built. Pocket clip fits good and looks like it's durable. The flashlight is very bright, brighter than I expected from such a little flashlight. By default it always comes at full bright, you can switch for strobe or battery saving mode if you want to. It's a little bit tricky by the way to switch modes - it takes some time to get used to it. Battery saving is good when you need to get more time out of the flashlght and don't need much brightness, in this mode light is considerably dimmer but still produces as much light as my old 2AA pocket flashlght.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mechanic recommended, March 21 2014
Great bright flash light!!! Solid construction and easy to use onand off button. I also like how bright this light is for it's size, I'm a mechanic and I keep it in my chest pocket of my shirt or coveralls for easy access. Only downfall is the duration of battery life in its highest brightness. One hour really is only one hour so keep AA batteries close by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light, but ON button switch can be tricky to toggle, Dec 11 2013
David Dang (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This flashlight has a solid construction with a very bright LED. It has a click-type operation with a button at the rear. A full click will turn on the light at full power, while two quick taps will toggle to the strobe mode and three quick taps will activate the energy-saving low-power mode. Most of the time this system works fine, but occasionally I just get stuck on the strobe mode. So it does take some practice to get use to the interface.

Another con is that this light doesn't quite tail-stand due to the protruding button and the top-heavy design.

The light has a slight yellow-greenish tint (for people concerned about colour casts).

Overall, this is a well-built flashlight that fits well in the hand. I just hope the rubber button lasts after prolonged quick-tap use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very bright and durable, Nov. 8 2013
Dougie - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Great LED flashlight. As a filmmaker, I needed a good flashlight to have for cleaning camera lens'. This is the perfect flashlight for the job. It's very durable, and extrememly bright. And it takes AA batteries, not some weird batteries that need to be ordered specially. I would recommend this flashlight over any other for any filmmaker or camera-man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Oct. 22 2013
I got this for my daughter who's in her first year university, she seems to like it, very compact and easy to carry

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to light for camping and hiking, Oct. 18 2013
This light is a great value -- great price, uses AA batteries instead of wimpy AAA's or expensive lithiums, selectable between super-bright and power-saving modes, and the strobe. I spend a lot of time camping and hiking and this light easily sits in my backpack or in my pants pocket ready to go at a moment's notice. The included holster case is a nice touch too. People are always surprised and impressed at how bright this little light can get. It's bright enough even to use in broad daylight to illuminate cavities between rocks, under tree branches, and so on. (Yes, I'm a geocacher - can you tell?)

I don't recommend doing this, but I've even used the tactical face of the flashlight to chip away at some ice. (Again - geocaching!)

The only thing that would make this light perfect (in my opinion) would be a variable-dimmer function instead of a 3-mode switch, but at least the switch lets you "half click" to get the mode you want before you fully click to lock it in. No need to click, click, click, click, just to turn the thing on and cycle your way to the mode you want.

There are flashlights with better specs -- brighter, longer run time, longer throw, more modes -- but look at how bulky they are and look at how much they cost. This flashlight is nearly perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent light, May 28 2013
This is a very good light; for it's size it is very bright and lasts quite a while on a set of batteries. I have dropped it a time or two and it's still going strong. The mode changing sequence is a bit tricky, but I use the high mode most so its not really an issue. Compared to my 2xAA Mag Light, the ProTac is brighter (and easier to turn on); but it cost several times the money so I would expect that. Overall this is one of my favorite lights and one that I use almost daily. A decent belt pouch and clip are also included.