5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the greatest album ever made
Published on Dec 20 2002 by jd

1.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting
I never recieved this wonderful album.. This makes me sad because I wanted it so bad.. Last time I buy from this website
Published on Feb. 3 2012 by Simpyt

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the greatest album ever made, Dec 20 2002
jd (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
Could this be the greatest album ever made? I believe if it isn't it must come close. Unlike most albums, where it seems the band involved is trying to create a complete album around two or three decent songs "the shape of punk to come" is mind-blowingly awesome from start to finish. Each song is as powerful as the last one. Songs like "New noise", "Tannhauser/derive" and "Liberation frequency" are unlike anything anyone has heard before. Completely breaking the traditions and rules of punk and any other genre for that matter, "the shape of punk to come" steps foot into completely unchartered territory. I mean a ten minute punk song with ochestral violin playing throughout?
Refused disbanded on the eve of this album's release. And I for one think it was possibly a smart move. "The shape of punk to come" is a once in a lifetime album. The music cycle usually goes like this:
1. band release a few e.p.'s maybe a full album or two
2. band releases awesome career high cd
3. band releases follow up cd, usually not as good, but more mainstream, band becomes famous
4. band spends rest of life in mainstream releasing mediocre albums becomes hated by their original fans
If you don't believe me just look at bands like Korn, 311, blink 182 and Limp bizkit. By stopping after "the shape of punk to come" Refused ensured that they would never become a popular, mainstream band. More importantly they in effect 'froze time' in our minds. What i mean by this is that when we think of refused in 20 year's time, we will think back to our last memory of them (circa this album's release) which is subsequently their greatest moment. Whereas when we think of Korn we'll think back to their last woefully mainstream albums rather than the greatness of their self titled debut. I believe this is why Kurt Cobain and Nirvana are considered so great. Cobain killed himself at the peak of his popularity and greatness, and that greatness is how we will all remember him. Had he not killed himself I am sure he would have suffered an Elvis like demise.
Some speculate that Refused intended to split before they made the album, using the song "Refused are f*cking dead" as evidence. If this is true it would explain the bizare experimentation on this album compared to their previous relatively conventional hardcore offerings. Refused had nothing to lose. Bands usually feel the need to obey the rules of their genre ie, punk songs cannot go for more than 3 minutes etc. Refused break all the rules and I think, for me, is what makes this album so great. The fact that Refused are a Swedish band also is significant for me, as almost every other European band tries to mimmick it's American counterparts. Refused did not.
The shape of punk to come is one of the best if not the best album of our times. It blends punk, metal, electronica and various other styles. If you haven't heard it yet, nows a good time to do something about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting, Feb. 3 2012
This review is from: The Shape Of Punk To Come (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Renewed My Belief in Music as a Force For Real Change, July 1 2004
Eric Cason (Citizen of the World!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
Seriously. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't own this CD. OK, so the vocals are a bit on the yelled/screamed side--and pretty much everything your parents and Government believe in, this is against. This is the sound of your soul banging its heads against the walls of oppression, indifference, laziness, apathy, capitalism, globalization (which is really just American Hegemony), and every other lie that has been spread like so much filth across our blue-green orb. Not only is the music here breathtakingly beautiful, this is an album of ideas. You might not agree with all of them, but in a world where free speech and intelligent political discussion are being crushed like a wet paper cup, an album that can take a stand is much more precious whatever other crappy CD you were going to buy. Buy this instead so you can ROCK & THINK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fulländat, June 6 2004
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
Kicks ass...if you like this you can try "Final exit"
Another hardcore band from sweden with two members from refused
(david sandström and dennis) dennis plays bass and david(who plays drums in refused) stands for the singing...great hardcore band!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful amalgam of many kinds of music. Intense., June 5 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
I really lucked out finding out about this band by chance. I saw the "New Noise" video on late night tv, and it blew me away. This bands willingness to try new things and do it their own way blew me away, and as I learned from their last cd, their technical ability with their instruments and their ability to write sprawling songs with incredible lyrics amazes me. Its no wonder that they decided to break up after this, saying that they finally accomplished what they set out to do (but it is a shame).
If you like hardcore punk, but consider yourself a fan of music as a whole, pick this cd up immediately. Its incredible, and will always have a place on my top five, perhaps my top three (I am never able to pick one single favorite cd, or else it might be there).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, June 4 2004
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
What can I say, one of the greatest albums of all time. Immense Riffs, Amazing Lyrics, One totally amazing band. There's no reason not to like and buy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, May 29 2004
"joe12131415" (The Stratosphere!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
This is one hell of a hardcore album. It's sophisticated, rhythmic, complex, deep, yet totally hardcore at the same time. I am not usually a fan of punk/hardcore, but this is simply great music. I reccommend this highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Refused, March 10 2004
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
Not much to say here, just that you couldn't find a more diverse array of hardcore unless you went way out of your way. Lyxzen has my favorite scream in all of hardcore, so there you have it. Not bad at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!!, March 4 2004
Robert T. Lease (Toronto, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
It makes me mad that i didn't know about this album sooner!! This is an unbelievable album mixing techno, punk, and screamo. I recommend this album to anybody that loves good hardcore music!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't know until you listen, Feb. 25 2004
someguy (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shape Of Punk To Come (Audio CD)
What can I say that hasn't already been said. I've owned a LOT of cd's and listened to a LOT of music, yet somehow listening to this album makes me feel like I've never listened to music before. There a lot of 5 star reviews just thrown around on amazon, but this truly deserves it. How can so many styles work so perfectly together? Techno on a punk cd? And how can a band portray THIS much emotion from a plastic disk? It's mind boggling. Dennis has more energy than anyone I can think of, and the band packs a punch to match. Like my header says, you will not understand until you listen - and make sure it's loud. It makes me gag when I hear people go goo-goo ga-ga over Blink 182, Bad Charlotte, and the like. It's a shame these people buy whatever's shoved down they're throats, even more a shame that they don't REALIZE they like it because it's shoved down their throats. So it's your choice, listen the latest trendy band and become numb (I think that's such an appropriate name for a Linkin Park song), or listen to this album and realize what music really is!

The Shape Of Punk To Come (CD/DVD)
The Shape Of Punk To Come (CD/DVD) by Refused (Audio CD - 2010)