4.0 out of 5 stars After all those years...
Published on Aug. 17 2010 by Tommy Skylar

3.0 out of 5 stars The final frontier but not the final chapter!
Published on Oct. 8 2010 by Eric Chiasson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars After all those years..., Aug. 17 2010
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
There it is the new Iron Maiden album, "The Final Frontier"! As huge of an Iron Maiden fan that I am I will not be too quick to say that it's an instant classic or the best Iron Maiden album ever, that's just not me and let's try to stay objective here for a second. If you know Maiden you should already have a good idea of what to expect, especially if you've heard their last three albums Brave New World (2000), Dance of Death (2003) and A Matter of Life and Death (2006). It doesn't sound all that different from the sound of the albums Iron Maiden put out in the 00's decade and you know what? It's not necessarily a bad thing because the music is still good, creative and the music itself is different and it seems most fans are still enjoying the band today. At this point I'm just thrilled that one of my favorite bands continues to release music of this quality today. It seems as if Maiden's music seems to get more complex (and it was always that way) as they go by, I think this one is an example of that. They keep doing what they do and want because they want to and they don't care for radio airplay, they have some of the most dedicated fans in the world (see Flight 666 DVD).

Of course the songs on TFF are long ones (the shortest one being 4:29), however for the casual listener a long song by the band may seem too long, after all not everyone likes 10+ minutes songs you know? Some people think those type of long songs are boring and perhaps pretentious, I think it shows incredible musical ability and willingness to bring the fans creative music but everyone has a different take on this.

I will comment on a few songs on The Final Frontier and leave the extended song-by-song analysis to other reviewers. The album opens with Satellite 15...The Final Frontier and it's a great song to open the album, it does a good job in setting the tone of the album! El Dorado was the first song released from the album and it's an excellent song, definitely not the best on TFF but a very good one, some fans have said it sounds a little like Barracuda and I can hear it too. Catchy chorus. Mother of Mercy is a great rocker, one of the shorter songs of the album. Coming Home sounds like anything from the past three albums to me as vague as it sounds, slower and more melodic Maiden. I really like The Alchemist, it's the shortest song here but sometimes the best of things come in small packages, it sounds like it could be on one of Bruce's solo albums. I love the slow and melodic intro to The Man Who Would Be King, great song, I don't know what else to say.The closing song When The Wind Blows is an amazing 11 minutes masterpiece, perhaps the best song of the album, terrific track. Those 10 songs prove that Maiden can still make wonderful music and with each listen I get more and more into the album.

I've seen the band in Toronto on their last tour and they were excellent as always. The band put more focus on the reunion albums from the 00's, I was impressed that they did that and I was a little worried at first seeing how everyone loves the classic. However I heard no one complain, in fact most fans knew every word to every song and no one seemed disappointed that they played more of the new material. Iron Maiden is doing what they want and is an example for aspiring musicians out there.

Steve Harris has already confirmed that The Final Frontier will NOT be the band's last album; I know some fans were wondering because the title of the album has the word final in it. The Final Frontier should be taken for what it is, a truly very, very good album, I'm really satisfied and Maiden has not let me down! I have to give the album 4 stars, close to a 5, very good album solid all the way through. I know that if you're a fan of the band and their reunion recordings you will enjoy TFF, at least I hope! Iron Maiden don't have to record new music, they could just tour and play the classics over and over but they choose not to do that and give their fans new music, it's pretty amazing especially when you consider that some bands play the classic over and over. The band sounds solid and I think that Bruce Dickinson still has it; the man is in his fifties now give him a break! What's left to say? Enjoy the album and up the irons!

P.S.- I can't hide it, I was a little disappointed with the "Mission Edition" of The Final Frontier, that's the version I wanted to buy but after seeing what it offered more than the standard edition I decided it wasn't enough, plus I just wasn't a fan of the tin foil type of case. The Mission Edition doesn't have any bonus tracks or a DVD, what it does have however is web contents. It's not all that important but I just think you should know what you're buying, I'm not arguing which version you should buy I'm just a fan (probably like you) who decided to stick the regular CD release.

P.P.S- Am I the only one who isn't a big fan of the album cover? I like it now but it doesn't look much like Eddie now does it? I only wish they brought Derek Riggs back to paint Eddie.

4.0 out of 5 stars After all those years..., Aug. 17 2010
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

3.0 out of 5 stars The final frontier but not the final chapter!, Oct. 8 2010
Eric Chiasson "Evil Night" (New-Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
A band that needs no introduction, Maiden is back with album # 15 "The Final Frontier". A lot of people were concern that this would the band's last release as Bassist/band founder Steve Harris said, back in the early 80s, that Iron Maiden would release 15 albums & then call it quits after. Well Steve re-assured the Metal world by stating that Maiden will release other albums after this one. Now that this matter is settled let's go to "The Final Frontier". Having been a fan of the band since "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" (1988) & been lucky enough to have seen them in concert 4 years in row, I'm always curious as to what Steve Harris & the boys will do with every release. They mentioned several times that, with this album, they would be doing something different than what they did earlier, & to that effect it is indeed a different release. Different, yes; special, no. Right from the start the weird intro called "Satellite 15" is a great indicator that Iron Maiden as every intention to explore new musical ground. But when the title track starts, even though it's a great song with a catchy chorus, it simply sounds like a regular 3 chord Rock song. No twin guitars parts, just verse, chorus & lead. As I said, it's a great song but I was expecting something stronger for a title track. Fortunately, 1 song is not enough to disappoint. Songs throughout the album vary between the 7 to 9 minutes mark with even the album closer, "When the Wild Wind Blows" which is a 10 minutes plus song. All songs carry that classic Maiden structure with great guitar work & tempo changes that the band is so well know for. My main issue is that, after listening to the CD a few times, I didn't find a song that actually stood out. A good album in all, but very Iron Maiden generic even in the attempt of doing something different. But then again, after being on the scene for over 30 years & being 1 of the biggest Metal band in the world, Maiden got simply nothing to prove.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thats Two In A Row!!!!!!!, Aug. 24 2010
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
This is a great Iron Maiden CD. So was the last one (A Matter Of Life and Death). The opening of "Sat. 15-The Final Frontier" is one of the coolest peices of music that Maiden have ever come up with. There really are no weak cut's on the CD and it clock's in at almost 80 min. If you like the Prog. side of Iron Maiden this is the CD you have been waiting for. All the songs are long and the music is complex. Bruce Dickinson's voice has held up really well and as allways Steve Smith's bass playing is out of this world. I saw Maiden earlier this summer and because the CD was not out yet they only did one track. I hope now that it's out their set list changes and we get a killer DVD from this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie's Back!, Aug. 18 2010
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
I am going to be brief here, because I really love this album and I don't want to over analyze. I read a BW&BK review that said, "The new Maiden has to be even better than A Matter Of Life And Death". I think it is. It combines the stylings of old school Maiden with new Maiden. Lots of great Adrian co-writes on this one, catchy tunes where you forget that 8 minutes just went by. Bruce is still in great voice and 'Arry's writing is up to his old lofty standards. Songs are diverse and distinctly memorable. The "Three Amigos" are soloing like mad all over the album, the solos are as catchy as the songs. And of course, Nicko...I have no idea how he can keep up the pace sometimes, but he does. Production by Kevin Shirley may well be the best of the four Maidens he's done. You be the judge.

5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grat Oldy Music, July 8 2014
William Sedor (Northwestern Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
I grew up with these bands and continue to love playing the recordings over and over again..
If you like Heavy Rock Music, You'll like these boys, their Great..

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid album, March 13 2012
Customer from Quebec (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
After 30 years, it's not easy to make an album which is up to the expectations of the fans. Iron Maiden did it again. It's a very solid album which needs some listening in order to be appreciated. I personally prefer "A Matter of Life and Death which was incredible, but it's a matter of taste too.
I can't understand reviewers like C. Edmond. It says "The music is good, but I can't stand the singer's attitude." This is not a review about music. It's a meaningless bitching. Nobody is asking you about your personal affinities or dislikes. You obviously have a personality issues, but who cares? Bruce Dickinson is big enough to have any attitude. Intelligent fans care only about the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final ? Frontier, Sept. 21 2010
Simon Veilleux "drheckle" (Québec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Frontier (Audio CD)
I love Iron Maiden, on studio cd, live cd or just live in Quebec city almost every years! I must admit, I was not impress at the first listening, and the opening track got a 4 minutes of something I skip, because I am afraid of burning my subwoofer with Steeve Harris base guitar again ! But I like this album. Songs are in my head and I like to sing some couplets with Bruce again and again. A little smooth, but very very good melodic Maiden. They will never loose their sound. I hope. Buy it, or download it then buy it if you are not sure, thats what I've done and I will go see maiden live again as soon they come back in my city for sure, hoping they will play of these tracks again :) drheckle1

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting departure..., Aug. 19 2010
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
I've been a fan for some 25+ years now, own every album and have seen them 8 times in concert. I have to admit I was one of those nostalgic fans who had lost touch with Maiden during the 1990's when Dickinson and Smith were gone. I then only really started listening to them again around the time their second "reunion album" Dance of Death was released and have since enjoyed their three 2000s albums... Ok enough about me, just stating where I'm coming from...

Now about Final Frontier... I must admit that during the first listen I was feeling like saying "what the hell is this?"... and sarcastically thinking "Oh great and this is their last album, you've gotta to be kidding"...

Listened to it a second time while jogging the next day and I started hearing things lol... Some "Wow" moments in riffs, arrangements, solos, etc... "Hmmm there are some great galloping parts as well on this..."

Third listen I am getting it more... Some really good moments.. Some good songs... "Yes now this is a pretty good album after all!"

I must be on my 6th or 7th listen now and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying this album... There are some good songs with even greater moments in them.

My only disappointment is that sometimes I find there are songs whose segments / arrangement / bridges could easily have been made main riffs for the entire song which could then have propelled them to, dare I say, hit single status... I hate rewinding!

... An example of this is in the song The Man Who Would be King. I'd have scrapped the slow intro and made the segment of 3:57 to 5:00 a much more prominent part of the song. To me they sometimes could sustain these "ups" much longer rather than transitioning 4-5 times per song... Don't get me wrong I like epics but I remember feeling the same way about AMOLAD's The Legacy's segment from 3:09 to 5:10... Maybe it's just me?

Also, although I like the overall sound mix, I feel certain sections could have been engineered to put emphasis on a given song section's groove... e.g., make some guitar parts stand out more, etc... But hey, I'm no Kevin Shirley...

In any case, just sharing my opinion. All in all, a good album with many great parts to it, well worth getting...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Solid Album, Oct. 8 2010
E. MacDonald "yester" (bc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
The band is ageless as they continue to produce epic and fresh new songs. Great album for both the long time Maiden Fans and the younger folks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Final Frontier
Final Frontier by Iron Maiden (Audio CD - 2010)