5.0 out of 5 stars A DEEPER, MORE MATURE SARAH
That was some Sabbatical! It has been 7 years since Afterglow, and I for one was starting to demonstrate some pretty pronounced withdrawal symptoms. But I always respect an artist who, having nothing new to add, will refrain from printing and marketing ...proof of this fact.

Published on June 15 2010 by NeuroSplicer

1.0 out of 5 stars whats up with the recording?
Published on Dec 20 2010 by ben-jam-in

5.0 out of 5 stars A DEEPER, MORE MATURE SARAH, June 15 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Laws of Illusion (Audio CD)

Sarah McLachlan's strong point has always been her mesmerizing voice and the beautiful poetry of hes songs. That is why in this album instrumental accompaniment is kept to a minimum. This is not a pop album. It deserves to do well because, although personal it is far from esoteric. Sarah sings about universal feelings of a human getting older, surviving heartaches, overcoming adversities and finding happiness once more.

If Fumbling Towards Ecstasy was the voice of a young couple in love about to start off their blissful life, LAWS OF ILLUSION is the voice of the same couple reaching maturity - whether they are still together or not.

Sarah is back. With another timeless masterpiece.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, Jan. 13 2011
This is a beautiful album all around: rich material, wonderful arrangements, strong vocalizations. It is more than I expected and everything I had hoped it would be. My one disappointment is with the accompanying DVD. It is just Sarah talking about the songs and doing some studio performances. I thought it might contain some concert material or music videos, but, unfortunately, it is a waste of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars whats up with the recording?, Dec 20 2010
This review is from: The Laws of Illusion (Audio CD)
C'mon, whats up with the recording. The content is good but the dynamics are so flat that I can not listen to it after the first go. It will be fine for people in their cars or people who do not care about sound quality, but I expected more from Sarah, Her older albums were mixed much better. I buy Cd's for the quality but in this case most MP3 have better sound quality than this album. This is coming from a guy who is a Big Fan, I have most of her other albums.
I am guessing they did this on purpose so the SACD version sounds better in comparison to the CD. Sucks for us CD audiophile guys. If your into hi-Fi, don't waste you time with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah McLachlan: The Laws of Illusion, May 5 2012
C. Preston "Tunes Junkie" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Laws of Illusion (Audio CD)
Well one can't articulate new words to convey how good Sarah is as a vocalist & musician. Yet again she has created a wonderful CD here.

1. Awakenings: This song seems like an obvious song lyrically of her dissolving marriage. Anyone who has been in a long term relationship will understand the lyrics in the song. I found it interesting that instead of instrumentally creating a ballad type for this song it has kind of a pop sound to it. Interesting.

2. Changes: This song is so good. There isn't a woman alive that hasn't said these words at one time or another. I think it clearly shows the desire to have relationships that fulfill us but somehow they never seem to live up to the needs or expectations that one has cerebrally drafted for themselves. Both the vocals & instrumental craftwomanship of this song are excellent. I can see why this song did get the radio play it did.

3. Forgiveness: This is a classic Sarah McLachlan song; exceptional writing and just so artistically sung. Wow what a treasure to have a singer that during the worst time in her life has the ability to think why not write what I'm actually feeling in this moment. This song will undoubtedly go down as one of her bests.....in company with songs like "Ice" and so many others from other CD's of hers. What strength is articulated in the lyrics of this song.

4.Rivers Of Love: This is another classic Sarah McLachlan song that will along with Forgiveness on this CD will be a track that people will recall when conversing about this CD. I love the instruments used & more specifically how they are used in this song. The writing is just so good....she melts your heart...in the hopes & wishes that love was a utopiotic event like we all wish it was but seldom lives up to. Just artistry at it's best! Put on repeat folks & plug those earphones in for this one. There is a guitar riff section in this song that oddly reminded me of an old, old Beatles song.

5. Love Come: This song got alot of radio play here in Canada. It is a really good song as well. There was a background instrument that I didn't like on it & some of this song sounded like another song she had already written on another older CD of hers but then it also had differences to make it unique. The video for this CD was cool.

6.Out of Tune: I liked the concept of this song....like a time where during a breakup of a relationship where neither of you has anymore to say....no energy left to argue...only a wish for the things that originally brought you together to still be there to hold onto....yet the reality that it can't continue even with that present.

7. Don't Give Up On Us: This is another of my favorites on the CD. Again classic Sarah and so well written with passion, angst and a realism lyrically of someone in the midst of a marital breakdown. Who says something good can't come out of such destruction...clearly not Sarah....although I'm sure she'd exchange marital bliss instead of money...these lyrics are just going "Ca-ching" as her bank account grows from living through it all!

8. U Want Me To: This track the music in the beginning reminded me of a lullaby and also a portion of an old R.E.M. song but then it changes into what I would classify as a more pop type tune. This isn't one of my favorites on the CD but it is notable & was one used for the radio alot.

9. Bring On The Wonder: Classic Sarah....wonderful harmonies on this. Makes you feel like your sitting on a cloud while listening to this. Pure bliss for the listener despite the dark lyrics. Piano sounds great but the harmonies are what really make this song so unique to me in comparison to the rest.

10. Love Come(Piano Version): I like this version the best. The piano & vocals on this are so intimate you almost hope you don't get caught listening to her. It is wonderfully written; a song for the ages.

After listening to this CD it got me to thinking of the poor soul that is oneday going to have to compile a "Best of Sarah McLachlan" CD oneday...glad it's not me because I would find it so hard to compile that because she has had so many outstanding songs....well at least luckily we don't have to think about it yet...she is viable as a current artist & let's hope keeps us entertained for years to come. Definetly a class act & one of the best female singers to come out of Canada.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, June 24 2010
Louis (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Laws of Illusion (Audio CD)
Although it certainly takes Sarah McLachlan some time to come up with new albums, her latest CD demonstrates that her music is still well worth the wait. And many people seem to agree, since this album just entered at #3 on Billboard's Album chart. While "Laws of Illusion" may not necessarily break any new musical ground for Sarah, it certainly brings her further and deeper down the unique path she has created for herself. The lyrics are infused with Sarah's typically honest and introspective take on life, and the album has an overall theme of rising above the ashes of lost love. Although it partly chronicles the decay of her marriage, it's by no means depressing or dark; it tells it like it is, period, and provides hope and warmth along the way. The mood is definitely ambiant and soothing, but there are a few more upbeat songs than usual ("Heartbreak", "Illusions of bliss", "Awakenings", "Out of tune" and the debut single "Loving you is easy"). There are plenty of highlights on this album; "Forgiveness" and "Rivers of love" are simply awesome, and "Illusions of bliss" and "Loving you is easy" are her catchiest songs in over a decade). Best of all, some of the melodies featured on these songs are among her finest. Although one might wonder why Sarah included "U want me 2" and "Don't give up on us" (they were formerly "new songs" on her recent best-of), they certainly blend in well with the other songs. This is the sort of music that slowly grows on you a little bit more every time you listen to it, until you just can't get enough of it. It confirms that Sarah is a unique artist deserving all the praise she has received over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Sarah!, June 30 2010
This review is from: The Laws of Illusion (Audio CD)
Finally a return thats worth the wait. I had the pleasure of listening to The Laws of Illusion and I loved it. If you love Afterglow and ofcourse Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, this is the cd for you. Sarah's beautiful lyrics combined with the music if heaven for the ears. It seems she's drawn inspiration from what life has thrown from her over the past few years and you can tell. Its been a long wait for something this original

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't sell yourself short!, July 1 2010
D. Richardson (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Laws of Illusion (Audio CD)
There isn't a song on the album that could not be released as a spectacular single. However, go long and buy the deluxe version..it is SO worth the extra few dollars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, Sept. 4 2014
This review is from: The Laws of Illusion (Audio CD)
A beautifully produced album with magical songs!! Her voice is stunning!!! My favorite McLachlan CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah at her best, July 11 2010
Robert Martin (Montreal,QC Canada) - See all my reviews
Like every artist, Sarah is getting better at her craft from one disk to another. The experience of life affects each of us and shows in her songs. I was very surprise by the DVD gift, a part of her recordings was done in Montreal, Canada, my own town. Wish we had the pleasure, all her Montreal fans, to show her how we love her songs and everything she does. We have so many festivals here, hope someday we can see you at one of them. I also like the reality interview, she is a mom, and like any mom, kids comes first. People write beautifull songs or save the world, but in their reality, they do the same things we do at home. Thanks

The Laws of Illusion
The Laws of Illusion by Sarah McLachlan (Audio CD - 2010)