Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage summerbaby Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

The Laws of Illusion
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$10.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
Well one can't articulate new words to convey how good Sarah is as a vocalist & musician. Yet again she has created a wonderful CD here.

1. Awakenings: This song seems like an obvious song lyrically of her dissolving marriage. Anyone who has been in a long term relationship will understand the lyrics in the song. I found it interesting that instead of instrumentally creating a ballad type for this song it has kind of a pop sound to it. Interesting.

2. Changes: This song is so good. There isn't a woman alive that hasn't said these words at one time or another. I think it clearly shows the desire to have relationships that fulfill us but somehow they never seem to live up to the needs or expectations that one has cerebrally drafted for themselves. Both the vocals & instrumental craftwomanship of this song are excellent. I can see why this song did get the radio play it did.

3. Forgiveness: This is a classic Sarah McLachlan song; exceptional writing and just so artistically sung. Wow what a treasure to have a singer that during the worst time in her life has the ability to think why not write what I'm actually feeling in this moment. This song will undoubtedly go down as one of her bests.....in company with songs like "Ice" and so many others from other CD's of hers. What strength is articulated in the lyrics of this song.

4.Rivers Of Love: This is another classic Sarah McLachlan song that will along with Forgiveness on this CD will be a track that people will recall when conversing about this CD. I love the instruments used & more specifically how they are used in this song. The writing is just so good....she melts your heart...in the hopes & wishes that love was a utopiotic event like we all wish it was but seldom lives up to. Just artistry at it's best! Put on repeat folks & plug those earphones in for this one. There is a guitar riff section in this song that oddly reminded me of an old, old Beatles song.

5. Love Come: This song got alot of radio play here in Canada. It is a really good song as well. There was a background instrument that I didn't like on it & some of this song sounded like another song she had already written on another older CD of hers but then it also had differences to make it unique. The video for this CD was cool.

6.Out of Tune: I liked the concept of this song....like a time where during a breakup of a relationship where neither of you has anymore to say....no energy left to argue...only a wish for the things that originally brought you together to still be there to hold onto....yet the reality that it can't continue even with that present.

7. Don't Give Up On Us: This is another of my favorites on the CD. Again classic Sarah and so well written with passion, angst and a realism lyrically of someone in the midst of a marital breakdown. Who says something good can't come out of such destruction...clearly not Sarah....although I'm sure she'd exchange marital bliss instead of money...these lyrics are just going "Ca-ching" as her bank account grows from living through it all!

8. U Want Me To: This track the music in the beginning reminded me of a lullaby and also a portion of an old R.E.M. song but then it changes into what I would classify as a more pop type tune. This isn't one of my favorites on the CD but it is notable & was one used for the radio alot.

9. Bring On The Wonder: Classic Sarah....wonderful harmonies on this. Makes you feel like your sitting on a cloud while listening to this. Pure bliss for the listener despite the dark lyrics. Piano sounds great but the harmonies are what really make this song so unique to me in comparison to the rest.

10. Love Come(Piano Version): I like this version the best. The piano & vocals on this are so intimate you almost hope you don't get caught listening to her. It is wonderfully written; a song for the ages.

After listening to this CD it got me to thinking of the poor soul that is oneday going to have to compile a "Best of Sarah McLachlan" CD oneday...glad it's not me because I would find it so hard to compile that because she has had so many outstanding songs....well at least luckily we don't have to think about it yet...she is viable as a current artist & let's hope keeps us entertained for years to come. Definetly a class act & one of the best female singers to come out of Canada.
on January 13, 2011
This is a beautiful album all around: rich material, wonderful arrangements, strong vocalizations. It is more than I expected and everything I had hoped it would be. My one disappointment is with the accompanying DVD. It is just Sarah talking about the songs and doing some studio performances. I thought it might contain some concert material or music videos, but, unfortunately, it is a waste of time.
on September 4, 2014
A beautifully produced album with magical songs!! Her voice is stunning!!! My favorite McLachlan CD
on July 11, 2010
Like every artist, Sarah is getting better at her craft from one disk to another. The experience of life affects each of us and shows in her songs. I was very surprise by the DVD gift, a part of her recordings was done in Montreal, Canada, my own town. Wish we had the pleasure, all her Montreal fans, to show her how we love her songs and everything she does. We have so many festivals here, hope someday we can see you at one of them. I also like the reality interview, she is a mom, and like any mom, kids comes first. People write beautifull songs or save the world, but in their reality, they do the same things we do at home. Thanks