5.0 out of 5 stars MJ

2.0 out of 5 stars Breville Tea Maker Disappointment
Published on Jan. 4 2012 by Rustynail

5.0 out of 5 stars MJ, Dec 27 2011
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
I received this item as a Christmas gift. It works exactly as described in the literature as well as the videos on Breville.ca. The only reason that I cannot give it 5 stars is that the lid has a chemical smell and makes the tea taste like chemicals. I would appreciate a lid that permits me to enjoy the tea that I love without altering the taste. As it is now, it is unusable. I use a porcelain plate to cover the pot and keep an eye on it at all time since it does not cover the pot thightly. I tried washing it in the dishwasher, using lemon juice and baking soda; nothing works. Breville should rethink the materials used in the making of this lid.

I wrote to Breville about this problem and I am awaiting their answer.

Breville answered my questions and gave me advise in order to get rid of the chemical taste. Boiling it in water and vinegar did not help in my case. They then proposed to send me a new lid for the machine. I received it this morning and I have to report that all is well; no more bad smell or bad taste with the new lid.

The machine is now worth 5 stars and the same applies to Breville customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Intelligent Tea Brewing Peace of Art, Jan. 31 2013
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
The Tea Maker is the BEST Intelligent Tea Brewing Peace of Art on the market today. No complaints at all.

Just imagine how difficult it was to put all its features and parts together while keeping in mind all safety and comfort requirements at the highest level. Breville keeps improving his creation - check all good and bad reviews chronologically.
They may be not exactly great at customer service but definitely good at hi-tech engineering.

There is only one PRO that I would like to mention especially - it is very silent.

Tables below will show you the "hidden" feature I discovered - there are more temperature levels in fact !!!
(option to switch from F to C gives more temperature variations)

Full table

70------158

Enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It changed my life :), April 5 2012
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
I am a type of person who use to put the coffee machine on the timer everyday and wanted to switch to tea but didnt want to do all the preparation in the morning (i am kind of slow to wake up in the morning). When one of my friend told me about this tea maker i was so happy it existed. I didnt find any problem with the taste of the plastic, mine is perfect in everyway. Love the fact that i can control the temperature and infusing time for all different type of tea. I truly love it and i am happy i can drink tea every morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea lovers best friend, Nov. 16 2014
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
Outstanding tea maker. It is super easy to use and works quickly. Your tea never gets burnt or bitter because of the temperature control. I hate making green and white tea with my regular kettle because they always get scorched (and I hate bitter tea), but this one makes a perfect pot every time. It's a little loud when it is boiling the water, but it does so very quickly so it doesn't annoy you for long.

The first couple of pots may have a slight metallic flavor, but that is no longer an issue once the pot is seasoned. Any experienced tea drinker knows that metal teapots must be seasoned by making several pots of tea and rinsing (but never scrubbing) the pot after each use. You can clean the glass, but scrubbing the metal just removes the seasoning and brings the metal flavor back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tea-Maker out there for any avid tea drinker!, July 26 2014
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
- I have been using this since May 9th 2014 (over 2 months)
- It has been working like a clock.
- Unlike what I read in some reviews, mine didn't produce a funny taste in the tea. The tea tastes great (I am an avid tea-drinker!)
- It has all the features you would expect it to and can be easily customized to my need in terms of its Temperature and brewing time.
- Comparing to all other tea-makers out there (more than a year research!) this is bar far the best of in terms of quality and features.
- Even with it's slightly higher price comparing to other similar products, I would definitely recommend this to any tea-drinker than drinks tea on a daily basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first steep, July 17 2013
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
I really really wanted this product and was given it as a Christmas gift in 2012. Love at first steep. The appliance is so easy to use and the instructions were really clear and easy to understand. I am a tea girl. My boyfriend knows it, my girlfriends know it and my family knows it. I love how you can make any type of tea with this tea maker and it keeps it warm, you can automatically set it. I started working from home at the end of 2012, so this was a perfect gift to get in my beverages throughout the day. So much less hassle, don't have to worry about forgetting you brewed a cup of tea, it keeps the tea warm for you, it allows you to brew it to your liking.

In April, my tea makers handle was loose and I called Breville and they dealt with it right away. I boxed up my tea maker and sent it to them and they sent me a new one within 2 weeks of me reporting the issue. Great customer service, fast quick. I did have tea depression for the 2 weeks without it, but it made me appreciate it all the more and when I got it back, I will never be without it again. This is the perfect gift for the tea drinker, especially if they don't drink coffee (like me.)

Pros:
- beautiful to look at
- doesn't take up a whole lot of space on the counter
- easy to use
- doubles as a kettle as well for other things you might need boiling water for
- works with many different kinds of teas
- I drink more tea because of this
- easy company to deal with for warranty issues

Cons:
- expensive, get it on sale to ease yourself with the price - but do know it is worth every penny
- it's somewhat easy to clean but not as easy as it could be - because of the base not being able to be submerged in water
- makes minimum 500ML so sometimes you want just a quick small cup, but have to make at least 2 cups of tea

What others have mentioned and what I have to say about that:
The Plastic issue:
Mine was labelled that it is BPA free and for the most part none of the tea comes in contact with any of the plastic pieces. The carafe is made of glass and German glass at that, the handle is acrylic, the lid is combination of metal and plastic. Again, the only thing that comes in contact is the basket which is part metal, and a little plastic. The basket lid is acrylic plastic. For those that have said it's a deal breaker for them, I'd like to know if they eat canned food, use aluminum water bottles (which are coated with a plastic inside,) etc. For me it is not a deal breaker. I have never had tea taste like plastic, and basically I think if they get tea that tastes like plastic they aren't using the product correctly.

Customer service:
AMAZING. Great to deal with, didn't have an issue.

Cleaning:
I will say that at first I felt that my tea was starting to taste like other teas I had brewed in there. However, I have since become more diligent with rinsing it out after each use and emptying the tea leaves and not letting them sit overnight, or for extended periods of time (like it says in the manual.) I also clean it with baking soda only, which does wonders. I put a generous amount of baking soda and boil over the max hot water limit with the basket and more baking soda in it. I let this side for an hour. I empty out the carafe and then take a cloth/old clean sock/paper towel and wipe. The unit still has to be hot for this to work as well. When you wipe it, you will see all the tannin from the tea that has been previously steeped come off. It makes your tea maker look like new and the brown tinge that develops over time is eliminated from the tannin being removed. This goes for the basket. the carafe and the lids. Then I reboil with clean water. Let stand. Rinse and voila. I do this once a month to once every two times a month.

Never had an issue with different "smells or tastes."

All in all I recommend this to ANYONE that has even one canister of loose leaf tea. You will increase your consumption of tea and it will be a joy to drink. One of my friends has bought one and I give them as gifts when I see them on sale for bridal/baby showers. Tea is a very calming and relaxing thing and I believe what better than the gift of relaxation and convenience.

Try to take reviews with a grain of salt, whether positive or negative. Try it, if you don't like it, take it back :) But I doubt you will once you use it :D

2.0 out of 5 stars Breville Tea Maker Disappointment, Jan. 4 2012
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
I'm a big fan of tea and of Breville appliances. I considered it lucky when I got the Tea Maker for my birthday, thinking it a bit extravagant to purchase for myself. Like all Breville appliances, a lot of thought has gone into the design and the ability to brew different types of tea at different settings is a good feature. After two weeks of use, I had to return the Tea Maker to Amazon. There is a persistent and unpleasant taste that is imparted into the tea. I tried various teas and different sources of water as well as soaking the basket and other components in vinegar and water but the aftertaste did not diminish, The culprit seems to be the plastics in the basket which can be smelled clearly when brought to the nose. Sorry Breville, I love your stuff but the basket design lets your otherwise good product down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed!!, Sept. 11 2014
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
Seems to be doing it's job well. No complaints.....easy to use and clean. Have been using it everyday since I purchased it. Delivered in the time allotted.....did not come really fast like most items though, but bigger and needs some packaging etc....I guess that's why, but arrived the day Amazon said it would. Enjoy.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Also the fact that tea is automatically brewed for a specific time would result in perfect tea every time (you don't have to tim, Dec 15 2014
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
The automatic lowering mechanism means that you can have fresh tea brewed for you early in the morning when you get up. And if you get up early and leave the house soon after you get up then with this system you can have properly brewed tea as opposed to instant tea bags. Also the fact that tea is automatically brewed for a specific time would result in perfect tea every time (you don't have to time yourself and get the tea out of water). However, the price is a bit too high for a tea maker (reason for taking off a star). Overall, it's a great product, if you have a use for it's automatic system.
The only issue I have with it is with the Keep Warm feature. For some reason it turns off by itself and I feel it doesn't heat it up to a high temperature. (I might be doing something wrong)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tea maker - a must have for daily (loose) tea drinkers, Dec 3 2014
This review is from: Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker (Kitchen)
Bought this thinking "that which you use everyday always has a good price." Mind you, the price here bested local retail shops by quite a bit. We originally purchased a Cuisinart Tea Maker because we didn't want to spend so much. Its small size (of basket et al) made it difficult to use and clean - but it worked well up until it died after a few months.

We've had this now for a long time and it both works well and is a breeze to use and clean. Its construction feels strong and firm. If you drink different kinds of (loose) tea (black, green, etc.) often then this is one terrific appliance to have in your home. Don't let the price dissuade you - it's worth it.

Breville BREBTM800XL Tea Maker