march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

on December 27, 2011
I received this item as a Christmas gift. It works exactly as described in the literature as well as the videos on Breville.ca. The only reason that I cannot give it 5 stars is that the lid has a chemical smell and makes the tea taste like chemicals. I would appreciate a lid that permits me to enjoy the tea that I love without altering the taste. As it is now, it is unusable. I use a porcelain plate to cover the pot and keep an eye on it at all time since it does not cover the pot thightly. I tried washing it in the dishwasher, using lemon juice and baking soda; nothing works. Breville should rethink the materials used in the making of this lid.

I wrote to Breville about this problem and I am awaiting their answer.

Breville answered my questions and gave me advise in order to get rid of the chemical taste. Boiling it in water and vinegar did not help in my case. They then proposed to send me a new lid for the machine. I received it this morning and I have to report that all is well; no more bad smell or bad taste with the new lid.

The machine is now worth 5 stars and the same applies to Breville customer service.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 16, 2014
Outstanding tea maker. It is super easy to use and works quickly. Your tea never gets burnt or bitter because of the temperature control. I hate making green and white tea with my regular kettle because they always get scorched (and I hate bitter tea), but this one makes a perfect pot every time. It's a little loud when it is boiling the water, but it does so very quickly so it doesn't annoy you for long.

The first couple of pots may have a slight metallic flavor, but that is no longer an issue once the pot is seasoned. Any experienced tea drinker knows that metal teapots must be seasoned by making several pots of tea and rinsing (but never scrubbing) the pot after each use. You can clean the glass, but scrubbing the metal just removes the seasoning and brings the metal flavor back.
on April 5, 2012
I am a type of person who use to put the coffee machine on the timer everyday and wanted to switch to tea but didnt want to do all the preparation in the morning (i am kind of slow to wake up in the morning). When one of my friend told me about this tea maker i was so happy it existed. I didnt find any problem with the taste of the plastic, mine is perfect in everyway. Love the fact that i can control the temperature and infusing time for all different type of tea. I truly love it and i am happy i can drink tea every morning!
on January 31, 2013
The Tea Maker is the BEST Intelligent Tea Brewing Peace of Art on the market today. No complaints at all.

Just imagine how difficult it was to put all its features and parts together while keeping in mind all safety and comfort requirements at the highest level. Breville keeps improving his creation - check all good and bad reviews chronologically.
They may be not exactly great at customer service but definitely good at hi-tech engineering.

There is only one PRO that I would like to mention especially - it is very silent.

Tables below will show you the "hidden" feature I discovered - there are more temperature levels in fact !!!
(option to switch from F to C gives more temperature variations)

Full table

70------158

Enjoy!!!
on September 10, 2015
Short Version:

Love love love love love! Breville gets it right again! This tea maker (which also doubles as a kettle) does everything you might want.

PRO: Auto-start feature; timed brewing; timed basket cycle; additional basket for stronger key; can be used only as a kettle.

CON: Base of carafe cannot get wet (not a big deal, but its not intuitive when washing) as it contains electrical components which connect to base and activate features.

Detailed Version:

I was shopping for a kettle when this tea maker caught my eye. I was worried I was overpaying, and unnecessarily splurging. Did I really need a machine to make tea for me? Was I that lazy that I couldn't swish around a bag or some loose leaf tea? I reluctantly admitted to myself that making tea is both a science and an art and I had never been able to master either. When you purchase a packet/tin of loose leaf tea, they often have instructions such as "Brew for 4-5 minutes at 95 degrees Celsius". With a kettle, I was never able to get the temperature and/or timing right. But, I wasn't sure I was willing to make this purchase. What cinched it for me was that the Breville Tea Maker can be used just to boil hot water (very handy!). I figured even if the Tea maker didn't work out, at least I would have a very expensive kettle.

Boy, did Breville surprise me! This tea maker is wonderful!

First: It has pre-programmed settings to identify green, black, white, herbal, and oolong tea. Love it! Tea maker also comes with a 1 teaspoon scoop which is very handy for measuring loose leaf tea.

Second: You can customize the tea brewing (i.e. temperature of water, brewing time, etc.) which is perfect for those unusual teas you pick up at your local store.

Third: The basket, which can hold tea bags or loose leaf tea, will slide into the water and brew for the length of time you set. It also has a basket cycle component which raises and lowers the basket. Furthermore, if the tea isn't strong enough for you, hold the basket button for 2 seconds and the basket will lower and stay in there until you want to remove it (then push basket button for two seconds again).

Fourth: My favourite feature - the Auto Start. The instruction manual will guide you through this process. Essentially, you can teach the machine (i) the current time; (ii) what time you want the machine to start brewing tea or hot water; (iii) customize the brew time (tea) and temperature (tea/hot water). Put the water and loose leaf tea/bags in the basket the night before. The next morning when you wake up, the tea is all brewed and ready for you.

Fifth: Auto Warm feature - for up to 60 minutes, the Breville Tea Maker will keep your tea nice and hot. It turns off automatically after 60 minutes, but I think after 60 minutes you can push the button again and keep it warm.

My husband, an avid coffee drinker, has been having tea every day on the way to work thanks to this awesome tea maker! We use it everyday and have had no issues - no smell or taste issues, no mechanical issues. That being said, if anything comes up, I'll come back and edit my review. While I enjoy this tea maker, it was not cheap. I expect every component to last for a long time.

The only con is that you cannot get the base of the carafe wet. It contains electrical components that connect to the base, which then reads and operationalizes your tea maker. While this isn't a big deal, it is counter-intuitive when washing (I keep having to remind myself, and I keep having a heart attack every time my husband takes the carafe to the sink!).

Overall, I would highly recommend this Breville Tea Maker. You do not need to be a tea connoisseur to enjoy this - and frankly, this Tea Maker makes it easy.
on April 24, 2014
If you're lazy or easily distracted like me, this is the ideal tea maker. It produces perfect, reproducible tea every time. Once you get your preferences dialed in (in my house we tend to go for the "strong" setting whatever the variety), you'll consistently get a fantastic pot of tea.

After a year of use, the pot has proven completely durable and surprisingly easy to clean (rinsing the basket is the fussiest part; it's barely harder than rinsing a conventional strainer).

Did I mention that it can be used AS A TIMED TEA MAKER? Timer-based tea makers are hard to find in the 110V part of the world; among tea-makers that also allow an adjustable water temperature, this may be your only choice anywhere in the world.

The retail price of this thing is a heavy price to pay: this is pretty much the most expensive tea maker on the market. But it's money well spent. We really like good tea in our household, and after over a year of daily use, we like this machine as much now as when we bought it.
on May 5, 2012
I am a big fan of this tea maker. I have read the reviews of the tea having a metal taste. My machine did not produce any bad taste and I find that the opposite has happened where my tea now tastes better than it has ever tasted. I love the convenience of the machine and it's sleek appearance. I have already recommended the machine to several of my friends and look forward to several years of enjoyment from this product.
on January 5, 2015
I gave this as an early gift to my wife so she could enjoy her teas leading up to Christmas. We've been using it heavily for a month now and it works exactly as described. It cleans easily and makes awesome tea. We've always just made our tea using a regular kettle and steeper. Overheating certain teas makes them bitter, we we're also bad at staying around the timer so would often steep for too long also ruining the tea. Steeping the tea at the correct temperature and time makes a huge difference. Once we figured out what a difference it made we went crazy retrying all our favorite teas. The automatic timer for the basket lets you just click a button so you can walk away and come back to perfect tea. There's also a keep warm button in case you get side tracked and can't get back to your tea right away. It's a little expensive but we found it totally worth it.
on December 15, 2014
The automatic lowering mechanism means that you can have fresh tea brewed for you early in the morning when you get up. And if you get up early and leave the house soon after you get up then with this system you can have properly brewed tea as opposed to instant tea bags. Also the fact that tea is automatically brewed for a specific time would result in perfect tea every time (you don't have to time yourself and get the tea out of water). However, the price is a bit too high for a tea maker (reason for taking off a star). Overall, it's a great product, if you have a use for it's automatic system.
The only issue I have with it is with the Keep Warm feature. For some reason it turns off by itself and I feel it doesn't heat it up to a high temperature. (I might be doing something wrong)
on January 4, 2012
I'm a big fan of tea and of Breville appliances. I considered it lucky when I got the Tea Maker for my birthday, thinking it a bit extravagant to purchase for myself. Like all Breville appliances, a lot of thought has gone into the design and the ability to brew different types of tea at different settings is a good feature. After two weeks of use, I had to return the Tea Maker to Amazon. There is a persistent and unpleasant taste that is imparted into the tea. I tried various teas and different sources of water as well as soaking the basket and other components in vinegar and water but the aftertaste did not diminish, The culprit seems to be the plastics in the basket which can be smelled clearly when brought to the nose. Sorry Breville, I love your stuff but the basket design lets your otherwise good product down.