5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly accurate when used properly
Published on Sept. 7 2011 by Dizzydog

Published 10 months ago by Brad MacMaster

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly accurate when used properly, Sept. 7 2011
This review is from: Ozeri Touch 440 lbs (200 kg) Total Body Bath Scale, Black - Measures Weight, Fat, Muscle, Bone & Hydration with Auto Recognition and Infant Tare Technology (Home)
Just got the scale 2 weeks ago and have been using it everyday since. I am an active SEASONAL cyclist (ie when weather is good... winter messes me up big time with weight gain, etc), and my son is a young elite pro athlete. A cheap scale we had reported me at 28% fat and my son at 18% fat though we set the parameters as requested. My son was professionally determined to be at 7% fat so I knew the scale was crap. After researching a variety of scales at a variety of prices I decided on the Ozeri at amazon because of the nature of the technology and seemed a good deal. The scale reports me at around 198 lbs, 20% fat, 51% hydration, 37% muscle and 5 lbs bone(!!) and I'm 52 years old and not worthy of the athlete setting in my opinion. I had my son step on it after setting the proper information and using the athlete setting for him. It reported 194 lbs, 8% fat, 51% hydration, 64 lbs muscle and 8.9 lbs bone at age 19. His numbers were more than reasonably close to the professionally determined numbers. Mine made sense including the 5 lbs bone as I'm thin boned compared to him and apparently recent studies have shown that cyclists have significantly low bone density compared to loaded sport athletes to the point it has become a concern! I had my bone density measured independently by another method and the values were very close to what this scale reported. The end result is that I've started a weight lifting program to target bone density as well as fat% and this scale will provide me with accurate trends. I trust this scale to, at the very least give me true indications of trends and be within 10% of actual values. Not too bad at all for the price I paid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but yet not perfect, Sept. 13 2014
Generally speaking, it is a great product.

Pros: light weight, led display, memory profiles, fashion looking, glass surface easy to clean, etc.
Cons: Inaccurate body fat measurement.

My weight readings are consistent and accurate. However, it constantly reads my body fat as 9.4-9.6%, while I know my body fat is way more than that. If anyone is considering buying this scale, think about how important body fat measurement is to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice product, March 13 2012
zukeeper (toronto, canada) - See all my reviews
Ordered the product on Sunday, it arrived Tuesday morning: arrived much quicker than expected! My husband and I have begun using the scale, so far the various measurements seem to be fairly accurate. Nicely designed and intuitive, the readouts are clear and the materials are of good quality - plus it looks great. The memory function is very handy. Happy with the purchase so far!

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent (unreliable ?) measures of body fat% and bone density, April 11 2014
During the first week of use, I got very consistent measures of all 5 attributes (weight, body fat%, water content, muscle proportion, and bone density). After one week, my indicated body fat % fell from about 12% to 6% ... uh, no it didn't! And my indicated bone density went from 4.8% to 6.6%. Also, I think my indicated water content measure went from the 55% to 66% range. I recalibrated the scale, but it had no effect. I bought this scale on the basis of other reviews that claimed consistency of scale results with professional lab measures. I don't really know what to do about this, but my weight and other measures have been fairly consistent for 45 years so I have to say, I do not trust the non-weight indicators at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thoroughly Remarkable Product, May 14 2014
Purchasing this scale was similar to how some of us buy wine - judge it by the label. This was such an attractive piece of gear with a good diversity of capabilities and an unbeatable price that I could not resist. It arrived in very short order. We did experience some hiccups initially but the absolutely incredible customer service folks at Ozeri very quickly remedied the issue and all has been well since. The product is sturdy, reliable, accurate and all the described features function extremely well. This is an excellent choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it, May 10 2014
Everything came to my door on time. The product looks sharp and quality made. The results seems very accurate and you can create a profile with your height and age so it gives you the body fat % and other mesurements. I wish the scale show me the weight variations directly on the scale and have an iphone app. I recommend this scale, i think it is a good quality/price buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Scale! [EDITED - Not so great...], Jan. 12 2012
I've had my scale for a few weeks now and have used it enough time to feel comfortable with it.

After following the set-up instructions to the letter (including stepping on the scale right after you program it!), I got my first set of measurements. Compared to the scale I had before (just a rickety dial one) the weight was right where I expected it should be. When I stepped off the scale and redid the weight it fell right on the same numbers as before.

I have nothing to compare the body fat, hydration, muscle, and bone mass measurements to for accuracy... but they are what I would expect them to be. If anything, they are a great guideline for seeing if you are on the right track.

Overall, the scale is great. The numbers are bright and easy to read. The readings are consistent, especially if you use the scale at the same time every day wearing (or not wearing) the exact same thing every time. If you are using an analog scale with a dial you have to constantly adjust, this is a great upgrade.

[EDIT] I have had this scale for about 1.5 years now, and I take back pretty much everything said above. Stepping on and off the scale a couple of times makes me question what is really going on. For example - First step on, 184lbs. Step off. Step back on, 178lbs... etc, etc. The batteries were replaced recently. Looking like I'm in the market for a new scale again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and Accurate, Nov. 28 2014
I love the sleek and clean design of this scale. It really doesn't look out of place in a room like your typical dusty bathroom scale. The instructions are simple and setting up your own profile and switching profiles is all very simple. The weight measurement is fast and accurate (matched up with two other scales) and the body fat percentage calculator is also accurate (calculated using body measurements to test against). I also used the Infant Tare button to measure the weight of my two small pets and the weight shown matched up with what we were told at the vet's office. I am extremely pleased with this product and would recommend it to anyone that wants to keep track of their weight, muscles growth and various other fitness goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozeri got it right!, Aug. 13 2012
Initially, I was searching for a bathroom scale that had at minimum body fat measurement capabilities but when I came across the Ozeri Touch 440 on Amazon that measured not only body fat but hydration, muscle mass and bone mass I was intrigued. The glowing customer reviews and $60.00 price reduction clinched the deal.
The Ozeri Touch 440 was shipped directly to my home from Ozeri and arrived well packaged and in perfect condition. Upon removing the scale from its' packaging the first thing I noticed was that this scale had some weight itself and appeared extremely well constructed with thick tempered glass on top, brushed stainless sensor pads and a sleek thin modern look. Really, this unit looks great, much better than the pictures portrayed!
I quickly leafed through the instructions, found the profile setup part (you can set up to 8 people with their own profiles) and thought really, that easy. All you have to do is enter your gender, fitness level (normal or athletic) and age then step on the scale and the Ozeri Touch 440 does the rest. The touch 440 then displays the information on a clear, bright blue display with corresponding icons for body fat, hydration, muscle and bone mass and will even display the information for about 10 seconds after you have stepped off the scale, very slick!
So, to sum it up, a great looking product with cool technology, is easy to use and seems to be overbuilt. I gave it five stars because I just can't find fault with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Accurate!, Aug. 12 2014
The Ozeri Touch is an excellent scale. After going through several scales that were unable to give a consistent number, the Ozeri was able to perform accurately. It is also a breeze being able to merely stand on the scale and have it quickly and accurately tell you your weight. You do not need to tap it to turn it on, it automatically activates. The added measurements including water and bone weight are a nice touch as well. I especially like the ability to set different profiles if there are more than one person using it. Overall this scale is an excellent purchase if you want quick, accurate weight measurements.