march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Color: Orange|Change
Price:$50.00 - $246.36

on April 18, 2011
I've had those wooden knife blocks-- couldnt get all my chef's /santoku knives in.

And then I upgraded to one of those wooden blocks with the black rod inserts-- I could put more variety of knives in, but still couldn't put that many, and the rods would break within the block and slowly you couldn't fit even the knives you had in there before back in. They just kept sticking out higher and higher even though it was quite deep. Eventually the side split open.

And now, this Bodum knife block. At last! So like the one I mention above (I think I had gotten mine at superstore), I could put a great variety in this one. AND, since the outside isn't wooden and rigid, when you stick a knife in, the slide poofs out a very little bit. You can't really see it, but that flexibility lets you put knives in and not run into limitations on how many you can put into the block due to space left between the rods! You are limited by space of all your handles and being able to grasp the right knife, but that's it!

We've purchased 2 of these knife blocks into which we've put 4 chefs/santoku knives, 2 bread knives, a cleaver (which I never managed to put in a knife block before), a tomato knife, 3 paring knives and a small santoku! I also a pair of kitchen shears and I have a rod knife sharpener in there. The latter sticks up (too long) but everything else fits right in.

I've only had these a couple weeks but I love them already. I read on some other reviews that the plastic rods come out and can be washed in the dishwasher. I didn't try that yet, but BONUS!

Oh! and the red color is quite nice. I would have prefered something more subtle but so far they only come in electric colors and black.

NEGATIVES:
The knives aren't offered to you at an angle like other knife blocks, but this is the case with most of these plastic rod insert type blocks, so I've gotten used to this already.

Oh! and if you have any of those knives with holes in the blade, those don't slide nicely in. I put my small santoku (with holes) into the block anyway, but putting it in wasn't like slicing butter (unlike all the others).
on September 7, 2012
These are the first knife blocks I've ever owned that I've been completely happy with. They are very easy to use, just point the knife downward and slide it in anywhere. The same thing with kitchen shears, slide in easily. The steel honer is a little too long for it but I find I don't care. I even got a meat cleaver to fit in it but you have to fiddle with it a bit to get the cleaver to go in. I bought both the red and black blocks from Amazon and I use the black for my most frequently used knives and shear. The red I use for the honer and the less frequently used knives. Right now I keep them both together but I'm half-way through the process of changing my kitchen and I may seperate them, or I may not. I love the versatility with these little blocks. They take up half the size of a traditional wooden block and they weigh a fraction of the wooden block. I highly recommend them.
review image review image review image review image
on October 2, 2012
I hated having to play puzzle every time I wanted to fit a knife in my knife block. And if we bought a new knife it meant that it didn't have room because it wasn't part of the original set. This beautiful Bodum knife block has solved all that! I just plunge the knifes willy-nilly and not only they all fit, but they are protected and look absolutely fab. I got it in red and love it!
on March 11, 2012
I really like this knife block, how it isn't limited to slots of certain sizes. It's a very interesting concept, with hundreds of little plastic(?) spokes sticking up from the bottom to hold knives of any size and shape in place. You could fit a cleaver in there!
on September 25, 2011
This is a sturdy little knife block and it holds my principal knives without taking up room on the counter. Adds a nice shot of colour.
on February 24, 2011
Brilliant design, very compact and space-saving. Looks fantastic on any counter. I had finally bought a set of professional quality knives which of course did not fit into my old wooden knife block. This was the perfect solution. I would recommend this product to anyone.
on January 24, 2015
I received one of these knife blocks as a gift for use at me cottage! I would have nothing else. I have 12 knives in the one at the cottage, there is endless room in it. In fact, I ordered one from amazon for my home as well.
The Bodum block makes a fabulous gift! I strongly recommend this wonderful product
on February 6, 2012
We puchased the knife block from amazon on a gift card. The block is a universal holder, any flat blade will fit down into it. The block is too narrow for cleavers but they can be placed sideways. The fill is long plastic strands. The stands do not dull the edge of knives. Good buy.
on April 11, 2011
It's nice and looks cool. However my 10 inch Chef Knife's blade stick out about 3-4 inches, so its not very tall
on September 7, 2012