Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on July 31, 2010
Lets face it the only thing computers are really good at are manipulating pixels... whether in an image or as in this case - a game.

Yes, the load times are a pain, the (still) limited number of planes (bombers/recon.) are a minus and little quirks in the game are something to hope for a fix in a patch... but WOW what an amazing, immersive, thrill to be in a WWI airplane in this game.

If you have an older dual core with 2 GB of ram (like me) you are going to barely meet the min. system requirements but as long as you don't have a sky full of planes it will be fine. When I first had IL2 on my old windows 98 machine I was in the same position. As One on One duals are the main interest for me it is not a big deal, others may disagree.

I bought the Iron Cross Edition and the user interface for setting up a one on one battle is the best I've seen. It also has a "Survive" option which gives you waves of ever increasing numbers of planes which can be a real challenge.

So, what else does it do great?!

Amazing graphics, rendering of the planes, damage model. The AI is good and unlike other games of this type you can kill off the rear gunner in two seaters.

Flight models seem to be right on - just amazing. And in full realism flying is amazingly difficult to master although you have options to dumb it down. TIP: Watch your airspeed - energy management is all important in flying these "kites"!

Absolutely incredible lighting and shadows on/in the plane although the shadows on the ground are not optimal yet.

Sounds are quite good as far as I can tell on my system (PC Works 2.1).

I don't use the multi-player but it seems to be thriving and busy even though I can't comment on it first hand.

The only bad thing about this game is that a login to their server is required. This edition has included a login offline option but it does not always play nice in that it keeps track of settings etc. and loses track on occasion if you play offline for a bit. The implications of what would happen if the company went under or the game stopped being supported are ugly to say the least.

But until/if then - WOO HOO!! Highly recommended.

And, I hear you can do something called "work" on computers as well...

Eric
on August 10, 2010
To be fair, I did not buy this edition and went for the earlier $40 version because of the negative review here claiming this game crashed their computer.But then I got in contact with the game developers and discussed the review about this version of ROF crashing computers and They said to me that the problems must be with this person's computer. They said that ROF basic and Iron Cross are exactly the same game with the same engine, the only difference being that ROF basic only has 4 player flyable planes, while Iron Cross has 8, so now I'm ticked off that I didn't buy this Iron Cross version, because I believed the neg review!
on September 5, 2010
This game has come a long way since the first edition was released a year ago.

The flight model and damage effects were great fun from the start. Now they've cleaned up the bugs, added some phenomenal lighting effects and two campaigns. Plus the game now comes with 8 flyable aircraft! That might not sound like much, but it takes time to know and love each individual plane.

Anyone looking for an atmospheric, realistic flying experience will not be disappointed! This sim a dream come true for those of us enjoying sims for years.