Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Blu-rayChange

on June 15, 2014
This gritty, raw and in-your-face vigilante flick begins with arguably the BEST opening scene/speech in movie history.

Fred Williamson makes such a moving case for taking back your city from the scum, the punks, the filth, that you become a believer immediately. "TAKE IT BACK!"

"This is our Waterloo, baby!"

A very moving and believable story brings an average man, whose family has been devastated by scum,into the active vigilante group headed by Fred Williamson. Everything you want in a 70's/80's vigilante flick.

on February 14, 2004
In the early 80's, there was a sprout of revenge/vigilante films released in America and Italy. I mean we had Death Wish 2, The Exterminator, Rolling Thunder and much much more. Vigilante actually comes out being one of the better of the group. We get the same basic story. A man gets his son murdered and his wife cut up by thugs so he sets out for a "Death Wish" to take them down. Like all the other revenge epics at the time, this is pretty good trashy entertainment. We get extreme violence and some great action, plus a great cheesy performance by Fred Williamson (should we expect anything different?). If you like Death Wish style films, then you must own this piece of low-budget american entertainment. The DVD release of Vigilante is also great. First of all we get the unrated/uncut version of the classic. On top of that we get a superb commentary with the director and almost the entire cast. Also thrown on is every trailer for the film throughout the world, even trailers that portray this film under different titles. Real Awsome! A great DVD package!
on June 28, 2002
Let's get one thing straight. VIGILANTE is not the type of movie that will satisfy those who dislike violent genre films.
It is, however, the kind of picture that will thrill any fan of DEATH WISH, ROLLING THUNDER, THE EXTERMINATOR or any other '70s / early '80s revenge flick that has vigilantism as its main theme.
The acting in VIGILANTE is of a high quality, superb even for an exploitation film. In particular, Robert Forster shines as an everyday working Joe driven to the brink by grief and circumstance. Fred Williamson was never better (and is unlikely to be), while Joe Spinnell steals your attention in his two scenes.
Anchor Bay's DVD release of the film is nothing short of miraculous. The movie has been lovingly restored via George Lucas' THX process and the widescreen presentation looks superb. But the jewel in the crown is the audio commentary. Director William Lustig and the three actors have a whale of a time recounting the film's shoot, and so does the listener.
on December 22, 2001
I sat up until 4:30AM watching this movie. The whole movie idea seemed good, and I kept waiting for the climax to come. It never did. This movie had way too many unneccessary parts and it's like they ran out of money or something and just made a hasty ending. I don't get the whole jail part and what purpose it served is beyond me. Even further beyond me is the fact that only about 25% of the movie is acually about the revenge of the husband. Why show and group of guys go around beating up drug dealers and pimps when it serves no real purpose in the storyline? It'd be OK if it had all come together in the end, but it never did. Plus, the acting was not as good as I had hoped. If someone killed my little kid and severely beat my wife I might shed a tear or two. I'd at least be a little more sad. I can't say enough about this movie. Don't waste your time.