4.0 out of 5 stars Fallout: NewVegas
Published on Nov. 7 2010 by Alain Verrier

1.0 out of 5 stars BOYCOTT STEAM GAMES
I advise anyone buying this game that it is plagiarized from fallout3nexus and that is is STEAM ONLY. Disk is garbage after first use so make it count. Also when you use steam you relinquish your privacy, also in the end-user license agreement you DO NOT OWN THE GAME. Be advised this is the first step toward communism.
Published on Oct. 25 2010 by Kris Ommen

4.0 out of 5 stars Fallout: NewVegas, Nov. 7 2010
This review is from: Fallout New Vegas (DVD-ROM)
An absolute amazing, engaging game. Highly recommended to all RPG fans. This installment of Fallout is definitely an improvement of Fallout 3. It incorporated many elements of Fallout 1 and 2 (like super stimpaks, doctor's bag, implants, books) and it also included a plethora of weaponry not found it Fallout 3. Obsidian also made sure they did not skimp out of things to do. I've clocked over 80hrs in the game and i'd say I've only touched around 45% of the content, which in my opinion is a very good money investment.

As far as the game goes, I've encountered very few bugs which I find fortunate as there are quite a few being reported. I also own the PC version of the game which make adding mods to it so much fun. The only thing I dislike but understand why they did it was using Steam as the authentication service. I'm not a fan of game that require an internet connection to play and usually do not purchase those game.

Overall, as stated before is an amazing game and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT DIES IN VEGAS, STAYS IN VEGAS, Oct. 19 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Fallout New Vegas (DVD-ROM)
The previous installment of the Fallout series, FALLOUT-3, was an excellent open-world Role-Playing Shooter (RPS). Although it suffered a far from...happy ending and most of the DLCs offered little more than even more loot and a handful of unique items, it was a game I greatly enjoyed for hours at no end and was more than happy to replay it only to follow different paths every time the story bifurcated. I for one was sure left craving for more and the Obsidian/Bethesda people were more than happy to deliver. Even so, true to Vegas mentality, they seem to have let their winnings ride...

The first thing that hit you in the Mojave desert is how...familiar this new world looks like. The graphics, which were excellent two years ago, are still very good - but they are no longer cutting edge. Besides some richer shadowing and somewhat more vivid colors, if there are any major graphical improvements since FALLOUT-3 I failed to notice them. Having said that, I must admit that I loved the skies, especially during sunrises and sunsets!

Although both the story and the location are different from FALLOUT-3, I was happy to meet old friends: the handy PIPBOY-3000, the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. skill system and the V.A.T.S. targeting aid. The gameplay seems to fit like a favorite old pair of jeans.
Character development has both acquired more depth (with the return of Traits which offer advantages but at a price) but also made easier. There are new guns and more explosive kill-shot sequences as well as more skills and perks but I felt far less pressure to complete quests to gain experience points and translate them into perks, skills and traits as the game is generous in offering different ways to accomplish this.

Notably, with all the conflicting groups and factions angling for an edge in controlling New Vegas, the story seems more byzantine than FALLOUT-3 and the choices one has to make now cut deeper. And after about 20 hours of playing it feels like I barely scratched the surface. This is a longer game than FALLOUT-3.

Now some bad news. Whereas FALLOUT 3 had a simple disk-check, FALLOUT:NEW VEGAS comes with mandatory OnLine STEAM registration and activation. If you are wondering, the game lost its fifth star neither because of its somewhat dated graphics, nor its numerous bugs or occasional crash but rather its anti-customer DRM scheme. (That was a serious misstep BETHESDA, I was disappointed). Having to activate your game OnLine means that you never actually own the game you paid for at full price. If this does not concern you, well, you can now make an informed decision either way.

RECOMMENDED.
(But let's hope the hand dealt initially is improved).

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Game, Oct. 28 2010
This review is from: Fallout New Vegas (DVD-ROM)
I bought Fallout New Vegas from Steam and the guide from Amazon. Despite all the hoopla I have had no problems with Steam. I loved Fallout 3 and this game is even better. The concept of Steam takes a bit of getting used to. But all the games I ever bought from them are there ready to be reinstalled on my computer if I want them. (It simply is not true that you are only allowed to install once.) Steam is perfect for those of us that want a game the moment it is released. I play many multiplayer shooters online so the idea of being "connected" does not bother me. Despite all the complaints about DRM, Steam is one of the most reliable systems that software distributors have to prevent piracy.

5.0 out of 5 stars (Almost) Infinite Adventure, Sept. 28 2011
This review is from: Fallout New Vegas (DVD-ROM)
What a great game! FNV offers an expansive world for you to explore with pretty much endless opportunities for adventure and mayhem. I find it to be a pretty great amalgam of RPG and 1st person shooter. The story is compelling, the dialogue pretty good, the quests are fun, interesting and just the right amount of difficult. Not sure if it's intentional, but the graphics (pretty good) are kinda stylized and I would like to see this game or something similar with Call of Duty type graphics... All to say, I just finished my third (and longest @ 90 hour or so!) play through that included all 4 DLC packs and I finished, and immediately started my next play through - In addition to better graphics, I would like there to be a camera rotate option similar to WoW/Rift that allows you to see the front of your character more often.

1.0 out of 5 stars BOYCOTT STEAM GAMES, Oct. 25 2010
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout New Vegas (DVD-ROM)

1.0 out of 5 stars Might have been fun, had the Steam install worked correctly., Oct. 25 2010
Ian F. Silver (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout New Vegas (DVD-ROM)
I ran into problems with the Steam part of the install. After trying for about 3 minutes, I was greeted with the message, "To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet". Apparently Steam is trying to talk to the internet on ports that are blocked up-stream of my computer, at a firewall.

I guess I'm stuck selling the game to a friend or co-worker and recovering my losses that way. I certainly won't be enjoying my new game purchase.

ARRAY(0xb6976aa4)

Fallout New Vegas
Fallout New Vegas by Bethesda Softworks (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
CDN$ 24.99 CDN$ 9.98