1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars ideal low-budget purchase, Aug. 13 2011
Tim F. (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 (Poppy Red) (Accessory)
The Facts: This blue-track mouse works perfectly on all surfaces except glass/reflective just as advertised. Each time I've purchased this model it was the least expensive wireless mouse with a nano-transceiver available anywhere (online or local retail) other than only one other Logitech model. I've owned four of this exact model, in three different colours, and they all took quite a bit of "wear & tear" and exposure to dust. The four I've purchased in the last 14 months have kept working perfectly during daily use and are highly prized by their owners (my parents liked them so much on vacation they bought them off my wife and me, requiring re-purchase). The wheel is quite accurate, its horizontal texture helps, and it doesn't loosen or get squeaky over time. The matte finish on the palmrest/finger area hasn't lost its no-slip texture with wear. The non-aggressive contour on the sides has a reliably-grippy rubber that has resisted grime well. I prefer this mouse due to its lack of auxilliary or programmable buttons on the sides/center as my hand posture varies and I inevitably strike a button when not meaning to. I program the middle wheel to click to close tabs/windows, and I always speed up the default scroll rate by 3x or more. I do wish the wheel had a left/right tilt function to scroll sideways. It is perfectly symmetrical for right-hand or left-hand use. It doesn't laser you in the eye when flipping it over to switch it on, and it has an auto-off feature that saves battery life if you prefer to leave it always on. Haven't once had to change the Duracell battery that comes with it yet.

The Superficial: This is an ideal size for a mouse, not full-sized like a desktop or gaming mouse and not shrunken like most mini-portable mice. The design proportions are well balanced, using a somewhat high hump against the palm to set fingers even as long as mine properly over the reduced finger pads with no overlap. The sidewalls have a satisfying, comfy, not-too-grippy (and eventually greasy) material and the very subdued contours are great for my large thumbs/fingers. It's normally produced in monochrome colours and free of the tacky urban tribal or Pop-Art-gone-wrong graphic designs. I've owned the sea blue, imperial purple, and poppy red-coloured mice, and the most appealing long-term was the sea blue colour. The purple was too gimmicky out of the box, the red looked a bit too lipstick and racy-metallic. The red did look better with a little wear but the purple just ended up looking like it was dirty all the time regardless of cleaning. I almost bought the loch ness grey colour when spotted priced well below all the other colours at Office Depot but through the plastic package it looked too cheap, and all black was actually off-putting. Three of the four mice were purchased online as the price including taxes and shipping beat local low-cost retailers by approx. $15 each time. However, I do wait until "Back-to-School" or Christmas deals roll around to get these unusally low prices.

Editorial: I've been buying mice for myself and others, business and pleasure for sixteen years now, often seeing folks blow off my somewhat recently acquired Microsoft mouse "persistence" to their eventual chagrin. Numerous problems with the wired and wireless Logitech build quality and factory drivers cam up over the years, plus their "customizable mouse software" floundered on several Windows versions and most Linux OS. In comparison the Microsoft mice are a truly hassle-free plug-n-play experience... and I really must say that this is coming from a Microsoft critic who tested lots else at different price points first. There are not many things that Microsoft does just right but when it comes to making mice they do it as well as or better than everyone else I've tried.

ARRAY(0xadf6fd5c)

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 (Poppy Red)
CDN$ 41.10