5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome rice cooker at a great value
I am a Chinese, and I have been having rice as my main meals for like 20 years; I know how a good bowl of cooked rice tastes like, and this cooker delivered that.

I used many models, from cheaper like this one and higher end which cost $500,
and I tended to believe only expensive ones can cook well.

On my arrival at Canada, one my the first...
Published 11 months ago by Sandbo

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Description
I bought it because in the description it is written as 2 to 12 cups capacity. But when I received it I came to know that the MAX capacity is 6 cups. Item is working perfectly and easy.
Published 21 months ago by Vin

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome rice cooker at a great value, Dec 18 2013
Sandbo - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hamilton Beach® Digital SimplicityTM Rice Cooker/Steamer (Kitchen)

I used many models, from cheaper like this one and higher end which cost $500,
and I tended to believe only expensive ones can cook well.

On my arrival at Canada, one my the first thing I do is to get a rice cooker, but I didn't want to spend too much as it's only for my own use. I did some research on the web, and people were giving good feedbacks to this brand and model, so I gave it a try. It had been a hard time ordering this as it wasn't in stock for like a month, but I left my order there and surprisingly it was available not too long after the order was placed.

Considering it to be a cheaper rice cooker, it has lots of decent functions like steaming food, with the bucket coming with it this is very convenient to get something heated. The rice it cooked is unexpectedly great, being very consistent for all of them (cheaper models tend to give inconsistent softness, sometimes too dry at the top but too watery at the bottom). Its non-stick chamber easy to clean, all you need is to fill it with water and leave it for 15 mins, and the stinks can be cleaned by bare hand.

It comes with lots of useful tools, besides the bucket, you will have measuring cup that help you will getting the correct volume of rice, and the rule along the chamber helps you get just enough of water. There will also be tools for you to pick up the cooked rice, making you simply a bag of quality rice from a great bowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, March 27 2012
This is a wonderful product. Old programmable rice cooker (Oster) died just after one year warranty. So glad to see 5 year coverage! Do wish this was a 20 cup for larger gatherings. Cheap model, given to me, did not do a good job at all. This rice cooker has not scorched or dried out any rice. Looking forward to trying its other options. Programmed for 5 hours but everyone very late getting home (2.5 hrs late) but there was no burning or scorching of rice even when on hold that long! Good Job Hamilton Beach!! Great price on Amazon.ca!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Rice, May 15 2013
The rice cooks perfectly but it takes a long time, almost an hour to cook 3 cups. So you would have to start your rice well in advance before cooking your other dishes. It cleans well, no spots on the outside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job cooking brown and wild rice, as well as beans, Dec 1 2013
I always burn rice if I cook it in a pot, so this is an important appliance for me. I use it a few times a week. I mostly cook brown rice in it and it cooks it very well, without overcooking it. I love using it to cook beans because you can put the beans and water in it and set a delay of 8 hours or so to let the beans soak. It turns on automatically after the eight hours and cooks the beans well. I am also very happy that this cooker doesn't spray water out the vent hole like my old rice cooker did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rice cooker, Jan. 22 2014
K. Vanderpool "Accountant" (USA/Canada) - See all my reviews
Good: I've used several rice cookers over the years, and for it's price, this one is really good. Simple to use and comes with a vegetable steamer, a cup and two plastic spoons (flat and cupped). Easy cleanup compared to glass top types. The inside of the lid has a small pan that is easily removable for cleaning. It catches rice splatter and when you open the lid, it drains the steam into a small removable plastic cup on the back. The digital timer on the front gives you a good idea of when it will be done as well, rather than just an "on and warm" light.

Ok: The non stick coating is still not PFOE free, this would be safer. Nonstick coating also means that it is handwash only, or the coating will wear off. It does take a long time to cook rice, but I think that is standard with most rice cookers. Have to use a bit more water than suggested to prevent it from sticking to the bottom and scorching slightly. But compared to other cookers I've used, this one doesn't scorch quite as bad.

Conclusion: One of the best rice cookers in it's price range. I've had mine for over a year and no problems so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good rice cooker, Dec 6 2012
Good rice cooker. It cooks rice faster than my previous cooker (it was new, another brand, I don't remember the name) and the rice cooks better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Description, March 4 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Rice, Didn't Last, Aug. 29 2014
Worked great for just under 2 years of several times a week usage. It recently broke in a way that is potentially a fire hazard. The electronics had shut down in the middle of a brown rice cycle, but the heating element was on and very hot. Luckily I smelled my rice burning and unplugged it before anything serious happened. This failure was so scary I have decided to replace it with a higher quality brand. I went with a Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy.

The quality of the rice was quite nice, I have only had microwave, stovetop and on/off rice cooker rice before. Sometimes there was a crust of starch on the bottom that would get a little brown but I never washed my rice so it could be user error. I liked the boil simmer feature, it worked nicely with quinoa. For quinoa set it to 15 min and then after its finished let it steam for another 10, nice fluffy quinoa.

I would have replaced it with the same one had it not failed in such a potentially dangerous way.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT but..., July 12 2013
Great product but the steamer top stains which is why I rated it 4 out of 5 stars otherwise works amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always perfect rice!!!, June 19 2013
I just love my Hamilton Beach rice cooker. I always get perfectly cooked rice. I have not tried any of the other recipes, but I am looking forward to preparing Arroz con Pollo!!

Hamilton Beach® Digital SimplicityTM Rice Cooker/Steamer