4.0 out of 5 stars Offered smooth Netflix playback where wifi couldn't
Published on Jan. 14 2011 by GadgetHound

1.0 out of 5 stars Good to know about WD Livewire Powerline Network Adaptor
I purchased this product and tested it for one week, it's signal not stable between the two hubs, many times I lost the connection to the internet. I tried to change the plugging location to different wall sockets with no improvement to get stable networking connection.

The max bandwidth I got between the two hubs was 95MBPS and not 200MBPS as per the...
Published on March 25 2011 by Mohamed

4.0 out of 5 stars Offered smooth Netflix playback where wifi couldn't, Jan. 14 2011
This review is from: Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit 200Mbps - extend Internet to your HDTV (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
I installed the WD Livewire PowerlineAV Network Kit in my condo so I could stream Netflix movies from a Sony Playstation 3 to my plasma tv, via a high speed broadband internet connection I had in another room. Initially I relied on a wifi n router but could not get sustained throughput. The PS3 estimated a download speed of 5Mbps over wifi but I suspect that it was not steady and found that after 2 min to 60 min of Standard Definition movie viewing, playback would start to stutter or pause temporarily to cache and then continue. Playback would resume for a minute or two then pause again until I stopped the movie or it ended. High Definition movies would takes up to 4 min to start playing and would continue playing for less than a minute before pausing again for several minutes. - That was Wifi but the WD Livewire Powerline kit was far better!!

The WD Livewire PowerlineAV Network Kit took about 5 minutes to install and involved just plugging it all together. I was surprised at how simple it was and expected to be fiddling with settings but there were none to adjust. - no configuration needed and really just as simple as plugging in a lamp as the WD marketing claims.

I have a Mac and Windows 7 computers along with the router (connected to the internet service) on one WD adapter in one room and in my living room I have my PS3 and Xbox plugged into the other WD adapter. The PS3 estimated internet download speed at 14.1Mbps on the WD Livewire Powerline, which is very close to my maximum download speed for my internet service (16Mbps) and 3x the estimate for wifi. Upload speed was estimated by the PS3 at 1.3Mbps which is also at the maximum for my internet service (1.5Mbps upstream). Also streaming of Netflix movies through the WD Livewire Powerline adapter had no interruptions (either SD or HD) and movies started quickly (within seconds vs minutes on wifi) after selection.

The utility included with the WD Livewire Powerline runs only on a Windows computer but it is not required if you don't plan to do firmware upgrades on the adapters (as of the date of this review there are no firmware updates to install) and there is nothing to configure. It does provide stats on the speed of the connection between the devices. Here is what I noted in a 1000sqft condo:
- 171Mbps connection between adaptors plugged directly into the wall sockets in two different rooms. I was surprised it was so close to the rated maximum of 200Mbps and I assume this will vary based on the design of the electrical wiring in your dwelling.
- 84 Mbps connection between adapters where one adapter was plugged into a powerbar and the other connected directly to a wall socket in another room.
- in my condo there was no variation in connection speed from one socket to another (no difference in the speed whether the adapters were connected to sockets in the same room or in separate rooms). The estimated speed of course will vary with your electrical wiring.
- the documentation recommends not using power bars or surge suppressors and I found that for simple powerbars, the adapters can still create a connection although the speed is reduced as noted above.

The only downside I could note is that the explanations about security in the manual were vague and although the product forms a 128bit encrypted connection between adapters if you push a button on the side (button is very stiff) of each device within a 2 min period, I wish the utility would show encryption status more clearly. Not a big deal for anyone in a house but would be more useful for those in apt buildings.

A great product, that requires no technical expertise to setup and so far it just works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good with the right outlets, April 17 2012
I've been using the Livewire for 1 month now and the product has performed well once I found the right combination of outlets.

My first Livewire unit sits on the second floor and the other sits in the basement where I use to use wireless. I initially had problems with low speeds and disconnections. The Livewire would connect but would lose its connection after 2-3 days. This became a problem since I had several devices connected such as the PS3 and a desktop computer. I eventually tried changing the electrical outlet of the Livewire unit upstairs and plugged it into a different one which improved the connection instantly.

I am now able to stream 1080p HD content on my PC downstairs and also perform internet updates on my home theater receiver that I wasn't able to perform before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super solution for wifi range limitations., May 2 2012
Plug it into the power points, connect via the software and you're done! That easy.

Originally wasted my money on a range extender for wifi which worked but gave crappy speeds for streaming media. So did some research and found you can use your power line to transmit data. Chose the WD Livewire as it has 4 Ethernet ports. This allows me to connect my WDTV Live to stream video stored on my pc to my TV in the bedroom and plugged in a router to extend the wifi across the whole house (2 stories).

In use for 1 month and no connectivity issues, it just works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well, even with Bell Fibe TV!, Feb. 13 2013
I'm using 2 Bell Fibe HD receivers and one Bell Fibe HD PVR.

I've connected my PVR on coax cable and one of the HD receiver to a D-Link PowerLine adapter, the other one is connected to Bell router for internet and IP TV transmission over power line.

Works perfectly, even in combination with Western Digital PowerLine adapter kit.

Both kits (D-Link and Western Digital) are synchronized altogether hence sharing the same network access.

Main restriction use, wether for D-Link or Western Digital kit: DO NOT connect adapter to an extension, neither on a long cord powerbar with surge protector.

Connecting adapters away from the outlet will result in very low speed transmission, and in my case, was causing many signal loss on my HD receivers.

My advice: if necessary, buy a very short 3-plug extension (about 4 inches long cord) without braker, that you can buy in a dollar store. Works well without any significant speed loss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs longer power cords, April 12 2012
I picked the Western Digital Livewire Powerline kit, over the D-Link one, because it had 4 ports, instead of 1, and I thought I could make use of the extra ports. I also liked, that they were little "units" that could sit on a desk, like a router.

However... they really need to include longer AC power cords with the units. The ones that come with it, are probably 3ft, at the most. Not long enough to reach my AC outlets, from my desk, or if you have this sitting on a short little table. Might be long enough, if you sit the unit on the floor, right under an AC outlet? Who wants to do that though?

I picked up two 6ft AC power cords, to replace the ones that came with the units, and it worked out, and this is working great for my needs now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, Nov. 6 2011
Sandra Haden (Scarborough, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Whoever invented this was brilliant. This is the greatest little toy going. I had it working instantly. I now can have live internet anywhere in the house in 10 seconds. Amazing product.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD Powerline kit did just what I needed, Sept. 16 2011
I purchased this WD Livewire Kit to add to one I had been using previously. I was not sure if it would do what I wanted but am happy to say it really does the job. The kit is easy to use and makes it simple to add wired networking throughout my home. Wireless networking is OK but has some glitches especially if you are streaming media so being able to easily set up a wired network is awesome. Especially not having to run wires all over a already constructed house. This thing was really just plug and play. :)
I now have 4 modules one hooked up to the router and the other three located at remote locations elsewhere in my home. Each one gives me four wired connections to the Home Network and fast internet connectivity. The provided instructions and software made this easy to do and I have experienced no issues with connectivity even after power outages. I use Internet Radio and stream video to my tvs using a Western Digital Media Hub and a "WD Box". My Bell Satellite receivers and televisions are also hooked up to the networks and have access to media files located on my Mybook Network Drive. Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB Personal Cloud Storage Drive (WDBACG0020HCH-NESN) Because this is all hooked together with my wireless router I also have wireless access to the media located on my Mybbook from anywhere I can access the internet. Makes it great to share photos, video etc. with friends. I am in Media heaven. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12 2014
Canuck21 (Montréal, QC) - See all my reviews
Works great with little hassle, plus it has 4 Ethernet ports enabling multiple components to be connected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wired connectivity to anywhere in the house, June 9 2014
I have a few Samsung TVs and need ethernet to view streaming content and didn't want to wire the whole house - this fit the bill perfectly. I plugged them in and the TV recognized the ethernet connection immediately. This is faster than wireless and allows me to stream content from a server to any TV in the house without all of the extra cables.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, May 16 2014
I use it to deliver to my smart TV and it it is faster than WiFi in the location (netflix etc don't take time-outs ever) and on the circuits I have available. It cannot be installed on a power bar so don't try..I plug it into the wall and put my power bar on the other plug for all my other stuffff.