5.0 out of 5 stars Tested with OpenElec XBMC on Raspberry PI and Works Great
I have setup my two raspberry pi computers with openelec xbmc. This remote is supported. I plugged the USB IR sender into one of the RPI USB connections and the remote works. I had to go into XBMC System, Settings, System, Input Devices then activate "remote sends keypresses"
Published on Aug. 10 2012 by Claude P. Pageau

3.0 out of 5 stars First one was ok, second one not so much
I bought the first one of these in 2010 and worked flawlessly and it stopped working because I dropped the controller on the floor to many times until it broke in 2013, so i bought another one since I liked it alot but the second one came with a problem with the receptor and if the cable is not in a certain position it would not work, and since I lost my previous receptor...
Published 7 months ago by Guillermo

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested with OpenElec XBMC on Raspberry PI and Works Great, Aug. 10 2012
Claude P. Pageau (Rio Grand Valley, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition
This gives the remote more funtionality. Experiment with buttons and mousepad to learn what keys do what. Most are intuitive but others you will have to learn. I do sometimes experience sticky button keys. I have to press again to turn off repeating but otherwise for the price this remote does the job. I have pluged the remote into my windows vista and win7 machines and it works with them as well. Same operation using XBMC on the Windows machines.
OpenElec XBMC also supports CEC but I found the MCE remote is much better than using CEC
For the price a good deal

4.0 out of 5 stars Compatible with Logitech Harmony, Dec 19 2013
A. Santana (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I do not really care about its quality, I just wanted the IR receiver since I have a Logitech Harmony. It was not easy to find it in the Harmony software, but now that I found it, I would like to share. In case anyone here has a Harmony remote and is in doubt about purchasing it, you will find the model as
Manufacturer: ORTek
Model: VRC-1100'

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product for use with Harmony One and XBMC, Nov. 7 2011
I purchased this remote to use with my Harmony One remote and my home theatre PC (HTPC) running XBMC. I initially bought the Mediagate MG-IR02BK but it didn't work (I assume I just got a defective unit).

This remote works reasonably well, and all I had to do was plug in the USB IR receiver into the HTPC...nothing to install and the drivers loaded automatically on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). There is a very slight delay when using this with the Harmony One and XBMC, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

The only thing is that the remote sends a combination of keyboard presses, mouse movements and Windows MCE commands. The i (info) button, when pressed, sends a right mouse click; however, you can't keymap that to any XBMC action. I hear other people have successfully used EventGhost, but I never tried that. Also, when I added the remote to my Harmony One devices list, I had to list it as "Ortek VRC-1100".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HTPC remote, Sept. 29 2014
Before I bought this product I had purchased a much more expensive wireless PC remote with a fly mouse, full querty keyboard, and IR tv controls. That thing was junk. This remote is great. I use it to control xbmc and netflix on my HTPC. It works really well out of the box with the default drivers. With a little tweaking in xbmc you can get almost every button working. However if you instead use eventghost with the driver that comes with that program you can do extensive customizations of every button. On Eventghost forums a user has posted a script that has a crazy amount of features. It even turns the number pad into a SMS multi-tap style keyboard. It also feels very sturdy and has already survived several 4' drops onto the hardwood.

The only con I can think of is the mouse control is sluggish. However my previous fly mouse went zipping around the screen too fast and sometimes would flip up for down and left for right. Compared to that I welcome the slower speed but greater control of this remote.

I can't recommend this remote enough and will definitely be purchasing one for my bedroom htpc setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works flawlessly, Dec 27 2012
Marc Bedard "Wyz" (Sainte-Foy, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Simply plug the receiver in a USB port, and voila! Did not try the TV related buttons, but video and audio playback works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for XMBC on OUYA, May 9 2014
Got this basically to use as an IR receiver for my OUYA XBMC experience. Worked great. The remote is decent too... but I use mine with a programmable universal remote, so the remote sits in a drawer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Raspberry Pi and Rasplex use!, Nov. 24 2014
Henry Armitage (North Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Works well with Rasplex on the Raspberry Pi! This was what I was trying to confirm before I bought, and I'm pleased to say it works great! Just plug in and away you go. Should also work with XBMC/Kodi variants (e.g. Raspbmc) but not tested it.

The remote comes with a simple red IR receiver which you connect to a USB port, and that's really it for installation, just add some AAA batteries to the remote and away you go! There is a red light on both the receiver and the remote for showing receiving and transmitting which flashes. It feels great in my hand I have no trouble reaching the Up-Down-Left-Right-OK buttons or play/pause/etc (note that the mouse control is not supported by Rasplex, but this is not an issue with the remote, I just don't need to use it).

I found Rasplex was very responsive when using this remote. Most buttons work as expected, but you'll use Up, Down, Left, Right, OK, Play and Pause the most. Some of the Windows Media Centre buttons have no use in Plex/Rasplex, but again, this is NOT a problem with the remote. It's also appropriately priced for Raspberry Pi use.

Pros:
* Easy to hold
* Buttons in reach
* Simple installation
* Play button is a good size

Cons:
* If the receiver red light bothers you, you cannot turn it off nor cover it up (because you'd stop the IR commands arriving). It doesn't bother me

I bought this remote myself, my review is fair and honest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little remote for a cheap price, Jan. 16 2014
I bought this remote at first only for the IR dongle, which is compatible with my OUYA console and lets me use my logitech harmony remote control with the OUYA and XMBC on it. I must admit I wasn't expecting much from the remote itself but all in all it is the perfect solution to my problem and the remote works remarkably well.. It is not backlit though so usage in dark areas is almost impossible. But plug and play windows/android compatibility makes this a no brainer for any htpc setup requiring a cheap but functionnal ir receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, No frills, no inflated cost., Oct. 25 2013
This is exactly what I needed for my Windows 7 HTPC running Plex, It's simple, straight forward and does exactly what it should right out of the box. It's so simple in fact that after showing my 5 year old how to move the mouse cursor and where the "Mouse buttons" are, she uses it proficiently as both a remote control and mouse replacement.

I like it so much, in fact, I've just ordered a second one for the HTPC I'm building for the bedroom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver, Oct. 10 2013
This remote is plug and play with win 7 64bit. receiver works well, i don't have to point this remote or my harmony remote directly at it. receiver does light up when receiving commands, it is a bit distracting in a dark room. worked out of the box for xbmc very happy. used the remote to program my harmony 650 remote then put in a drawer, remote did feel good in my hands, mouse function did work surprisingly well, but i thought it was a bit awkward to hit the left click button, definitely not a replacement for a wireless mouse but i imagine you could get used to it pretty quickly. keep in mind that this is not a rc6 infrared receiver so it is limited in the commands it can receive if your planing on using it with other universal remotes. overall a very good deal for the price.