Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Wolverine & X-Men: Complete Series [Import]
Format: DVDChange
Price:$26.36+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on November 9, 2010
Just finished watching the entire series. Very much Saturday morning fare so don't expect anything too edgy or graphic. Overall I enjoyed the story arc and how all of the events came together in the end. The voice acting was quite good and the dialogue was not as cheesy or over the top as I thought it was going to be. It took me a couple of episodes to get used to the animation style (don't believe the cover art) but eventually you get into the story enough to not really notice anymore. On a side note, you do get over 10 hrs of content for a great price. No regrets here.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 16, 2013
I'll make it short and sweet:

This was a good cartoon. It didn't deserve to get cancelled after one season.

It wasn't exactly on the bleeding edge of the genre. In terms of real depth and pushing the boundaries of what a superhero cartoon can be, it wasn't in the same league as Bruce Timm's best work, or even the most recent version of Marvel's own Avengers.

But it was entertaining and engaging and fun to watch, with just the right amount of intrigue and suspense. It was also far and away the most visually sophisticated X-Men cartoon ever made - at least until we got to the anime X-Men. And even by comparison with that show, while this version was nowhere near as darkly atmospheric, in terms of achieving what it actually set out to achieve, it did hold its own. In fact, while not so heavy on atmosphere, the other side of that same coin is that the art in this show was more coolly reserved, even restrained, than that to be found in its anime counterpart.

So much for the art. How about the story?

Aside from the gimmick of putting Wolverine in charge of a fractured team, long time fans of the X-Men won't find a great deal that is new here. True, this series generally rearranges the usual roles that the characters play within the team, but that's about it. The reason why I personally stopped reading the comic books (more years ago now than I care to think) was that the X-Men comics, like most comic books, really only have two or three basic stories to tell. These same stories are told and retold over and over again, with endless minor variations on the perennial themes. This particular show tells the story where the X-Men have to stop a horribly dystopian future from coming to pass. If you are a fan of the comic books, and have been for more than a year or two, I'm sure you know the story I'm talking about.

But while the actual plot is almost entirely devoid of originality, perhaps that's not the point. The stories in tragic and comic opera are every bit as formulaic. The point, if there is one at all, is in the artistry of the retelling. And taken on that level, "Wolverine and The X-Men" was, if nothing else, a good retelling.

So yes, like I said in the beginning, this was a good cartoon. It didn't deserve to get canned after one season.

I am genuinely sad that we'll never get to see what season two might've been.

Theo.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 9, 2014
The story arc is entertaining, and I like the characters included.

The series is on blu-ray, but the quality isn't much better than you'd expect for a Saturday morning cartoon.
The sound is clear and is nice in surround.

I got what I expected, and am happy with my purchase.