5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Collection!
Published on Nov. 8 2010 by Martin A Hogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Band On The Run (Paul McCartney & Wings 1973)
1973 was a pretty decent year if you were an ex-Beatle or a Beatles fan still reeling from their break up in 1970. All 4 enjoyed success in this year (though Harrison had had a 3 year running success story since All Things Must Pass) and McCartney fans saw Paul finally put forth an album that could possibly equal his prolific output in The Beatles heyday. Band On The Run...
Published on April 25 2003 by Mr. S. St Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Collection!, Nov. 8 2010
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There are so many reissues on the market lately and Paul McCartney's "Band On The Run" is one of the latest, being offered in several different combinations. Considering that this was a #1 record breaking album and a real critical and commercial success for McCartney and Wings, it bears to get any great treatment. This version has the original album carefully remastered at Abbey Roads Studios without too much compression and not a complete removal of original album hiss, to truly produce a fine sounding, original recording that comes as close to vinyl as possible.

Although "Band On The Run" and Jet " were chosen for the singles, there is little doubt that every song qualified. Paul Gambaccini provides extensive sleeve notes about the recording including, Paul's history from leaving the Beatles and progressing to this album. Like the songs, this album is an adventure. The liner notes describe which songs were chosen and why, the songs history, the trip to record in Lagos, Nigeria and more. Want to know who those strangers on the cover really re? Paul G. fills you in.

The second CD contains the hit, "Helen Wheels" and "Country Dreamer", all sounding fantastic. The remaining seven songs are from a special called "One Hand Clapping" and although these are live recordings with slightly different arrangements, the sound quality is remarkably good. That brings us to the DVD or `bonus film". Remembering that this audio and video is over twenty-seven years old does not diminish the enjoyment or aesthetic quality. At a running time of 1 hour and 24+, minutes, there is a lot to celebrate. Most of the videos are artistic/psychedelic in nature and surprisingly, not as dated as one would think. Included are song videos, promos and the full version of the special, "One Hand Clapping".

Amazon does not provide all the songs, so here is the set:

Band On The Run (music video)
Muminia (music video)
Album Promo with, `Band On The Run', 'Mr.'s Vandebilt', `Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five' and `Bluebird'.
Helen Wheels (music video)
Video clip called, "Wings in Lagos" (surreal)
Video history filming of `Osterley Park' (all the album cover members)
The "One Hand Clapping" show including:
`Bluebird'
`Let's Love'
`I'll Give You A Ring'
`Band On The Run'
`Live And Let Die' (hilariously filmed with an odd orchestra reacting in an irreverent manner)
`Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five'
`Baby-Face'

Of course, all of Linda McCartney's Polaroid snapshots are here looking a bit dated, but still a good account of who was there and what was happening. This collection was a lot more than I expected - it's a deal and an experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars Remastering Sounds Great - DVD Could Be Better, April 27 2011
From the Musician's Pen (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Most people agree that this is a classic rock album, so I'm not going to spend time discussing the music itself. It's been released in various forms so I'll just be discussing this Collector's Edition, with 2 CD's and 1 DVD.

CD 1 is the remastered album; CD 2 is the bonus tracks, also remastered, including the single "Helen Wheels"; the DVD features footage from the album cover photo shoot, some videos for the songs, and a McCartney TV Special from the early 1970's with great footage of Wings rehearsing songs from this album, plus "Live & Let Die" and more... Paul's voice is immaculate, he's at a peak.

In terms of sound quality, the previously remastered version of this CD already sounded very good indeed. This remastering sounds even better.

I received this as a gift. I was hesitant to buy it, as I felt the price was high and I wasn't sure whether I'd like the bonus stuff enough to feel I "need" them. I'm a McCartney fan but I often feel cheated by his releases, and I wasn't willing to gamble.

With regards to this collection, I feel all the songs on the bonus CD could fit onto the main CD, which could help keep the price down. I also feel the only good thing on the DVD was the TV Special. I'd much rather see more footage of Wings, especially in concert (especially Wings Over America, Rockshow Concert For Kampuchea, etc.). This was Paul's peak and the footage exists and some has been previously released on VHS or laser disc, so I was hoping for more of that.

I've seen this go on sale for half price, and I'd recommend it then. If you don't already own "Band on the Run", this is a worthy purchase. Otherwise, only a big Wings fan would want to spend the extra money to upgrade to this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Wings Album, Jan. 17 2014
Band on the Run is in all probability the best album from McCartney and Wings. Looking back to the 1960s there are some memorable Beatles songs, say for example Taxman and Eleanor Rigby. However there is something special to me about Band on the Run. When I finally finished upper year calculus, I sat down and listened to the title track. Then much later with this special edition, I also watched the previously unreleased footage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Band on the run is a classic, July 15 2013
This review is from: Band On The Run (Audio CD)
I love Paul Macartney and band on the Run is one of his best Cd's the price is better than ordering it from the music shop and the cd doesn't take long to arrive either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Run for it!, April 30 2013
N. Dominici (Montreal, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Band on the run is definitely a collector's item for those of us who enjoyed Paul and Wings as much as the Beatles!

4.0 out of 5 stars Most Succesful of the Beatles, March 29 2011
This group here Wings really hitting their stride and showing McCartney's talent to form a band that was clearly successful in it's own right. Though Paul may be it's main attraction he clearly created a group that was not really another Beatles but a band that was revelant for it's own time. The music though very mainsteam is certainly accessable. This gives us a taste of where they were going to the next level with Venus and Mars.

4.0 out of 5 stars The tightest Wing's arrangement of all time, Feb. 19 2010
David R. Main "Davo" (Calgary, AB, CA) - See all my reviews
Paul McCartney put out some mediocre albums after the Beatles but finally got it together with this one. There is really no terrible cut on the album.

Deny Lane and the others work so well with him I don't know why they did not keep this lineup.
The classic "Band on the Run", "Jet" stand on their own, but this album also has some other lesser known gems such as "Helen Wheels", and "Blueburd".

It is truely a great album that stands the test of time.

The 180 gm vinyl remastered album gives it a very full and rich sound on a decent turntable.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, July 30 2011
I used to listen to this when I was a young teen. (Actually I took it from my older brother). I listened to it for four days straight, I gave it to my brother as a gift, then ordered another one for myself. This cd made my day!!! I think it was delivered to my door withing three days, great service!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Big Mac, May 23 2011
This review is from: Band On The Run (Rm) (Digi) (Audio CD)
This was, by far, the best album of Paul McCartney's solo career and his only release that rivalled his output from his Beatle days. With at least five great songs - Band on the Run, Jet, Bluebird, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, and Let Me Roll It - Paul was sounding better than he had since the White Album. Even John liked this one, and an iconoclastic George Harrison once told a fan that "if he wanted to hear another Beatles album, buy Band on the Run." In fact, the first time I heard Let Me Roll It on the radio, I thought it was John Lennon singing. That's how good Paul McCartney CAN be when he actually gives a damn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island Disc, April 15 2011
Douglas MacRae (Toronto) - See all my reviews
Excellent sound, and packaging. We even get lots of tiny copies of original Polaroid pics taken by Linda inside the cover. This album is one of my all-time favourites. It's songs have stood up very well over time. And Paul himself gave oversight to the project. My only complaint is the disappointing "videos" of some of the songs included on the DVD. A big yawn. However, One Hand Clapping, is the best thing on the DVD. Too bad the quality is poor. Like a home movie, it's colours are faded.

ARRAY(0xb2096084)

Band On The Run (Rm) (Digi)
Band On The Run (Rm) (Digi) by Paul and Wings Mccartney (Audio CD - 2010)