Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools

Office Mac Home and Student 2011 - Family Pack (3 Licenses)
Platform for Display: Mac DiscChange
Price:$375.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 14, 2011
Seeing how Amazon.com has tons of reviews about this, and seeing how I'm a Canadian, I thought I'd share my experiences with Office Mac 2011 here instead. I also bought it through Amazon.ca and the third-party retailer was excellent and highly recommended.

First of all, I've read some pretty negative reviews about this suite from Mac users, but I think it's more due to certain Mac people hating anything to do with Microsoft instead of giving Office an objective shot. Even though I've been a Mac devotee for 6 years now, there's frankly no arguing that Microsoft produces the best office suite, period. At the very least, it is the basis for all others that exist, and although none are perfect, I would argue that Office Mac 2011 comes close.

I've been using Microsoft Office for about a decade now, including the Windows 1997, 2000, 2003, and 2007 versions and the Mac 2004 version. I would not only consider myself experienced, but I've also used many of the in-depth features of Word, PowerPoint, and to a certain extent in Excel. So I'm not your average, basic-level user, but more intermediate-to-advanced.

I bought 2011 for Mac because I was coming across more and more docx and xlsx documents that I wasn't able to open and edit, so I decided to bite the bullet and "get with the times"; it was no point fighting it any longer.

What made the transition to 2011 much easier is the fact that I had a few months of intensive experience with Office for Windows 2007. If you're jumping into 2011 for Mac from 2004 or from a Windows version less than 2007, the adjustment to the concept of a Ribbon containing tabs across the top will be your steepest learning curve by far.

This way of laying things out at first was different for me when learning Office for Windows 2007, but it sure didn't take me long to very much appreciate the Ribbon and tabs concept. And I would argue that with Office Mac 2011 things have been refined far better than they were in the Windows 2007 version.

It would take me a long time to go into all the little things that I like better about Office Mac 2011 than the other Windows and Mac versions I've used, so I'll list some of my favorites. My favorite feature by far is not only the Ribbon, but also how you can view the traditional Standard and Formatting Toolbars found on earlier versions. Even better, you can hide and show them in any combination you wish, plus re-arrange the order of tabs on the Ribbon. So the transition from earlier versions to 2011 isn't as steep.

The way tabs are categorized on the Ribbon are also logical (Home, Layout, Tables, Review, etc.), as are many of the commands that have been chosen for each tab. However, not being to customize what commands are on each tab is my only real gripe about the entire 2011 suite.

Here are some comments about the Office Mac 2011 programs:

WORD:
I like how the Home tab on the Ribbon has a good selection of the most commonly used commands. It makes switching to other tabs not as necessary. However, my only complaint again is the lack of being able to customize the Ribbon commands. Maybe I haven't used 2011 enough yet to be able to figure out how to do this. These likes and dislikes apply to Excel and PowerPoint as well.

EXCEL:
I think it's overall just plain easier to control the look, layout, and function of my spreadsheets and again I appreciate the amount of commands found on the Home tab of the Ribbon. I haven't used any of the Charts features, however, so I can't comment yet on their ease of use.

POWERPOINT:
On earlier versions, selecting slide Transitions and object and text Animations was cumbersome at best, and if you were really zealous and patient you would figure out how to find them and apply them and then get a good system or "rhythm" going as you laid out your presentation. With 2011, however, I absolutely LOVE how easy it is to apply Transitions and Animations, probably because they each have their own tab on the Ribbon. Each of these tabs, in turn, make it easier to see what effect you're applying since a little preview of the effect occurs right away. My only complaint is how the Entrance Effects section of the Animations tab, for example, will allow you to get a window to appear with all the effects on it, but then it will disappear back onto the Ribbon once you've selected one. I wish there was a way for that window to remain until I choose to close it instead of it disappearing automatically.

My favorite workaround for any Office frustration past and present has been to right-click on my mouse (or do a 2-finger tap on an Apple MacBook trackpad). Doing this brings up a window of the most common commands you need so that you often don't have to search a Toolbar or Ribbon in the first place.

So here are my pros and cons, to summarize:

PROS: Great look and logical layout. Customizable Toolbar commands. Customizable tab order on Ribbon.

CONS: Unable to customize Ribbon tab commands, and generally weak Ribbon customization overall. Disappearing drop-down windows in PowerPoint. (These Cons are the reasons why Office Mac 2011 only gets 4 stars out of 5, although I would give it 4 1/2 if I could.)
on August 28, 2012
Upgrading has been a huge headache in terms of getting my main Excel workbook to function properly. Still not all the way there but most of it works. I've had to rework macros, teach it to remember window sizes/positions (and it still forgets), tinker with print settings to avoid crashes, etc. One remaining oddity is that when I copy down a group of numbers - just numbers, not even formulas - it changes one of the numbers. Some cells refuse to print, some formulas refuse to recalculate.

All told, this is the buggiest version of Excel I've experienced in more than a decade of use. But it has brought back macros after abandoning them in 2008, and is the only version that will run on OS X Mountain Lion.

There are also a few improvements. Keyboard navigation between text boxes is more reliable and manipulation of chart elements is smoother. I'm not a fan of the space-consuming Ribbon but most of the time I can set it to off.

With all its problems three stars may seem generous. But it's the only program powerful enough for my needs.

I don't use Word or the other Office components so can't advise on them.
on August 11, 2013
Office Mac is wonderful Product. Make sure you ordered through amazon prime not third party sellers.

I ordered it through JRLIFE for $120. The There are few things which I noticed and I think its a non-geniune CD.

1. The CD does not look genuine Microsoft CD.
2. It is Microsoft home and student edition but Outlook is also installed with the package on my mac.
3. The product key was expired.
3. I confirmed the product key on Microsoft website and this message is displayed; "The PIN entered was not recognized as a valid PIN. Please check the characters entered and try again. Without a valid PIN you cannot retrieve your Product Key. PINs can only be activated at the store where Office for Mac was purchased. Return to the store with your receipt or proof of purchase to activate your PIN."

Beware and don't be victim of piracy.

Thanks to Amazon A-Z, I got my money back instantly! I would shop more from Amazon.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Office Mac 2011 is a terrific product because Word has Publisher capability built into it, with an excellent assortment of templates, and more online. I have used Publisher on Windows since the '97 version, and the stand-alone Windows version costs more than this 3 licence pack! You also get Excel and Powerpoint, 2 state of the art programs. This is an excellent bargain if you have more than 1 Mac.
on February 9, 2013
A standard and invaluable communicating with any business and organization.
Would prefer that it would not be needed in the Mac ecosystem but unfortunately that is not the case.
Hope to see an updated version soon. Essential communication software. You need and must have it
if you hope to succeed in todays business environment.
on December 29, 2012
I have been wanting this app for sometime now and I was waiting to buy it when it came on sale. Amazon had the best price.
Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac is a must have for everyone.
on December 4, 2011
The 2011 version very much improved over the 2008 version. However, it doesn't come with Outlook or Entourage if that makes a difference to anyone.
on December 5, 2013
Considering all the restrictions enforced by Apple, this is a stunning feat by Microsoft. Finally a version of Office that doesn't feel like the retarded cousin of Office on Windows. Though not all the Windows functionality is present, most typical users won't be hindered by this version.
on September 23, 2013
It is definitely worth the extra dollars to purchase the family pack (3 licenses) if you know you will have other computers around. The product arrived promptly and is all that is expected.
on October 30, 2011
Excellent product, however Outlook was not included in this edition as it was in the last one we purchased. Still reliable Office products but a little less bang for our buck!