5.0 out of 5 stars Yay for MONK!
Published on July 2 2004 by Steve A. Mackie

3.0 out of 5 stars NO CLOSED CAPTIONING?
I was eager to share Mr Monk with a deaf friend, but that was not possible as, for some odd reason, the DVD version doesn't have closed captioning. How stupid is that? Even the DVD of the Mary Tyler Moore Show's first season is closed captioned. I feel as though I've wasted my money.
Published on July 6 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay for MONK!, July 2 2004
Steve A. Mackie (Tucson, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monk: Season 1 (DVD)
I will admit it, right at the beginning, that it would be very difficult to disappoint me with anything MONK-related. Nevertheless, this DVD set of the first season is so entertaining and interesting that I was glued to the set for hours. As a collector of all-things MONK, I was ecstatic to receive 2 shows (Marathon Man and Red-Headed Stranger) that I had never seen before. The additional featurettes were excellent and I even learned some new things about MONK and OCD I never knew before. All the MONK characters are so excellent and the shows so well-written that they can be watched again and again. Yay Tony Shalhoub (he is great in EVERYTHING he does) and YAY MONK

5.0 out of 5 stars Off to a Strong Start, June 19 2004
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monk: Season 1 (DVD)
I blew it. I didn't start watching this show until it's second season. Little did I know what I was missing.
Tony Shalhoub stars as Adrian Monk, a former police detective no longer on the force because of his obsessive-compulsive disorder and his phobias. He does still consult on some of their most bizarre cases, however. For example, how could an 800-lb. man commit murder? Why was a billionaire killed while mugging a man on a date? Did a fellow airline passenger really kill his wife? How could a man commit murder and run a marathon at the same time?
This series falls into the classic puzzle mystery genre, my personal favorite. Sometimes I have an idea why or how, but it takes the ending for me to know for sure. More often then not, I'm stumped. Along the way, we get plenty of laughs at the various situations we find Mr. Monk in. The obsessive-compulsive disorder and his fears are handled just right. They provide the clues needed and humor without being over the top or annoying.
Of course, the series is helped by its actors. Tony Shalhoub is excellent as Monk with a performance just slightly understated. He deserved his Emmy win for this season. Just as praise worthy is Bitty Schram as Monk's nurse Sharona. She mixes exasperated and compassionate while providing a strong sidekick character that doesn't get lost behind the lead. Ted Levine and Jason Gray-Stanford as the police Monk helps and Stanley Kamel as Monk's shrink are equally excellent.
The writing is sharp and manages to find humor without mocking Monk, a subtle but clear distinction.
This DVD set is great for old and new fans alike. All twelve first season episodes are present, including the previously released two-hour pilot. They're presented in widescreen and look sharp. The sound, while presented in 5.1 surround, is nothing spectacular. Still, it gets the job done. Disc four has some short extras discussing the creation of the show, obsessive-compulsive disorder, the cast and crew's obsessions, the Emmy win, and the casting of Bitty Schram and Ted Levine. I would have loved a commentary track or two and some outtakes, but they aren't to be found here.
While the extras could have been just a tad better, this set is a must have for those who love light mystery. It was nice to catch the cases I'd missed. This is one mystery show you can watch time and time again for the humor and character even if you remember how it ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, Sept. 5 2011
Victoria Lechler "torial" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monk: Season One [Import] (DVD)
My husband and I don't have any stations on our TV, just a DVD player. We gave up on TV programming a few years back. My mother told me to watch Monk. So I got the first season. I was so surprised by what we saw. Adrian Monk is likeable. He is is not screwing around on his wife, killing people in his spare time, or mean to people just for the fun of it. Nothing like most of our TV "heroes" of today. He is however OCD and that is where both the humour and the moments of sadness come in. It really is, as Mr. Monk says, a blessing and a curse. Although I would consider this show adult it is not sleazy. My husband and I have now watched all four seasons. I can not believe the acting skills either. Very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars NO CLOSED CAPTIONING?, July 6 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Monk: Season One, April 17 2014
Tony Shalhoub is brilliant as Adrian Monk, former police detective, who couldn't leave his house for three years (after a car bomb killed his wife) due to his obsessive-compulsive disorder. Now, with the help of Sharona, his nurse, he is once again solving cases as only he can: by seeing and remembering everything, Is his gift a blessing or a curse? See for yourself in this smart, funny and thoughtful TV series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Feb. 13 2014
This review is from: Monk: Season 1 (DVD)
We will watch this series of DVD's again and again. Tony is a master in this roll. We love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I recomend, Feb. 8 2013
This review is from: Monk: Season One [Import] (DVD)
I like "who done its". Monk makes us laugh because we know people who have these traits. Sometimes it's fun to try to solve mysteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Monk, Jan. 27 2013
This review is from: Monk: Season 1 (DVD)
I would recommend this to Tony shalhoub fans ---very good.the dvd is of very good quality and i feel this series is the one which led other writers and producers to develope entertainment shows similar to Monk such as The Mentalist.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tony Shaloub is great...but the storylines could be better, Oct. 17 2012
This review is from: Monk: Season 1 (DVD)
Tony Shaloub is a scream as a police consultant with OCD! However, most of the storylines are a little too predictable for anyone who regularly watches detective shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, July 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Monk: Season 1 (DVD)
The episodes were immaculate- good writing, excellent ensemble, interesting plot twists. However, there is an inherent problem with Disc 4 - as noted by other reviewers- the extras were produced with no sound except music so there is NO extra material. I bought the set and then ordered disc 4 through Netflix- same problem. I don't know how else to inform the DVD producers but they will have to replace all Disc 4's in all sets sold. Wait to buy until the replacement discs have been made- then ENJOY!!! sarah in TX

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›