5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Talented Pop Artist!
Published on June 12 2012 by C. Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
the music is just ok not as good as I had expected. the number of songs is only 8 or so in this CD
Published on March 26 2013 by connie du

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Talented Pop Artist!, June 12 2012
C. Preston "Tunes Junkie" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
Wow....I can say this was an unexpected surprise for me when I bought this CD. First I bought the CD for another song which isn't on this CD...but I'm glad I made the mistake as I was just astounded how good Bruno Mars is. This CD was very well produced but more importantly than that....I began to ask myself by the last song.....why this guy isn't as "big" as Michael Jackson was because this guy is wickedly talented...in a new refreshingly unique way! All I can say is keep it coming Bruno!

1.Grenade: What a great pop tune about how far he would go for the woman in his life. I loved his voice....so gorgeous! I have to admit that when I listened to this artist it reminded me of EARLY Michael Jackson in his talent. It's not he sounds just like Michael (especially not in his later years) but reminds me of Michael before all the Thriller....when I thought his voice was so good. Just great in his own right though so don't think he is a replica of Michael because he isn't. All I can say is I love it!

2.Just The Way You Are: Such a pretty song....really beautiful lyrics and is a catchy pop tune for sure. I loved the video that they played for this song on Much Music....who could resist that smile ...it's absolutely infectious! It's funny how some people have the ability to make you smile just by their smile,....they light up the world; he definetly has that! I'm sure all the young teen girls are just ga-ga over this guy!

3.Our First Love Song: A really nicely done R&B/Pop song about young love.......the first time. So much soul in this song...listen to that voice! Wow he hits so many vocal changes from falsetto and lower registers to just wonderful blending of abilities.

4.Runaway Baby: Okay this song isn't really for me....BUT I have to say why this song works. I watched the Grammy Awards in 2011 and I don't know if anyone else watched it but he did this song live....and I sat there mesmerized. Why? He was so totally original but at the same time was performing (the whole band) like great soul bands from the 60's. It was such a lively performance and the band was so tight it was awesome. So I still listen to this song because it reminds me of that performance. I tell you if just want to kick it...get up and shake your thing...this is the song to do it to!

5.The Lazy Song: I love the "island" feel to this song. This song is great for the weekends...vacations...or anytime you just want to hang out! The instrumenation for this song is so cool also in transmitting that feel. I just loved the video for this song...it was utterly hilarious!

6.Talking To The Moon: Wow what a beautiful ballad....this one will break your heart. He so perfectly sings his pain of the grief of loss....it is just such a lovely song. To me it represents the way a child must feel after losing a parent. The drum beats in this song keep the melody in this track.

7.Liquor Store Blues: Love the collaboration with Damian Marley...felt like I was in Jamaica...great rhythm. How much I love his voice...which by now I"m totally addicted to and will want to see what this kid does in the future for sure! Great song about the realities of the struggle of life!

8.Count On Me: Another nice little ditty about his love for another. This song just flows so well and I liked the mandolin or ukele in this song. This song reminded me of his Hawaiian roots for sure. Sweet, sweet lyrics and always great vocal performance.

9.The Other Side: This is a unique collaboration with Cee Lo Green & B.O.B. What I loved the most about this song though was Bruno's voice & delivery & VIBE in this song. His voice has so many different inflections that I just wanted to hear more but unfortunately this was the last song. This song has an up tempo instrumentation construction. Like the rapping in it too so well done! Cool track!

Those are my picks ladies & gents....check him out...he's a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little something of everything, April 24 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
I am not buying too many albums these days. Not enough quality songs. I remember the old days when the LP could only hold 10 songs. At least you usually got 6 or 7 good songs. These days, you are lucky if two songs are good on an album and the rest is a filler. This album is like the old days and most of the songs are worth listening. Thanks Bruno, job well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great CD, Jan. 15 2013
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
This is a solid CD. Almost every song is great. My wife is in love with him now.

First CD was delivered with a cracked/broken jewel case. Upon contact Amazon sent me a new one right away. I only had to return broken one after I got the replacement. Very good service. I was impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars OLD SOUL WITH A NEW TWIST, March 31 2011
Paul S. Power "Music Reviewer" (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
They say that some people are born before their time, in Peter Jean Hernandez's case he was born ahead of his time. There's an old soul within this man-his music serves as testament to that. Through the magic of You Tube you can see Bruno performing as an Elvis impersonator when he was only 4 (you can also catch him doing the same in the movie "Honeymoon In Vegas"). Growing up in Hawaii, being surrounded by a musical/performing family sparked the young Bruno into pursuing a career in music. Many years later he moved to Los Angeles and even had a short stint with Motown Records seven years ago, which no doubt helped solidify his love affair with soul music and old school doo-wops.
This is Bruno's debut album and it is spectacular. The first single was "Just The Way You Are" and the lyrics, even though they refer to a woman, are fitting for also describing the song itself: "you're amazing just the way you are".
"Grenade" is a blast of pure pop magic; Bruno described it as a one-sided heartbreak song. The build up towards the end of the song is magical; it's pop music that's so well crafted it rises above most of the songs in its genre. Yeah, I really like this number. "Our First Time" is very much like a 1980's El DeBarge meets Michael Jackson number and "Talking To The Moon" is a groovy, soulful ballad with a fantastic melody.
There are some moments of real lighthearted fun here too; "Count On Me" and "The Lazy Song" remind me of Bedouin Soundclash-light, airy and fun. Nods go out to the Cee Lo Green and Outkast's sound on "Runaway Baby", a song that could be blasted right back to the Seventies soul scene and would fit in perfectly.
Bob Marley's son Damian duets with Bruno on the amazing dub-step/Reggae song "Liquor Store Blues" and "The Other Side" features none other than Cee Lo Green and B.O.B. This song is put together so well, and in such a natural way, that it's proof that Bruno Mars is one of today's best pop soul and R&B performers. This CD has to be one of the strongest debut albums I've ever heard; it's a real treat for the ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD, Dec 15 2013
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
Often we buy CDs and there are only one or two songs that are particularly nice. I enjoyed every song on this CD. The music is upbeat and Bruno Mars has a great voice. I am looking forward to hearing more of his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars wsimply excellent, Nov. 9 2010
Doo - Wops & Hooligans by Bruno Mars
this album is pretty good, a lot better than I expected. got to love his vocals, strong and deliberate. the music keeps your toes tapping. Saw him on saturday night live, excellent hair, great suits. the whole album is strong, not a bad song. this guy has talent, a definite pick up if your into pop/rock with an edge on the dance side

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Bruno Mars, April 4 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
Up until a few months ago I had never heard bruno Mars, but then i heard 'just the way you are' on TV and loved it so much I decided to buy his CD and that was not a mistake. He has a great voice and such a unique style that you have got to love him. A few of his songs are innapropriate for younger children and a few are really corny, but on the whol he is great

5.0 out of 5 stars Singner Bruno Mars, April 25 2012
Je ne connaissais pas ce chanteur, mais je l'ai vu à la télé et avec mes recherches sur internet j'ai pu entendre ces chansons. C'est là que j'ai décidé d'acheter son CD.

Liliane NolanFootloose (2011)

5.0 out of 5 stars Doo-Wops & Hooligans Review, Oct. 2 2014
Both of the copies that I ordered came in great packaging and condition! Bruno Mars is only one of the few truly talented artists right now! You should definitely pick this up.

5.0 out of 5 stars great CD - every song a winner, April 14 2013
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
Utterly awesome CD! Loved all tunes, especially 'It's better if u don't understand'. The songs were upbeat and happy. Great new artist and one of my new Dave's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Doo-Wops & Hooligans
Doo-Wops & Hooligans by Bruno Mars (Audio CD - 2010)