5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS - no issues at all after a 4000km road trip
I would recommend this product to anyone as I have come back from road trip from Vancouver to Los Angeles and I did not have a single complaint about this GPS throughout the trip. All I had to do before leaving was update the maps & software to the latest versions, which was for me a very straightforward process.

The software is very intuitive and user...
Published on Oct. 28 2011 by Driver

Garmin 1390LMT comes with great features and is very intuitive to register, set-up and use. I purchased primarily for my trip to Boston and it worked but it's not without it's quirks. At the time of purchase, I felt extra features such as Lane Assist, traffic and Life Time Map updates were worth the extra money.

Lane assist flashes a picture of the lane you...
Published on May 29 2011 by WL

3.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 1390LMT: Lifetime Maps but limited memory and difficult process to install updates, May 29 2011
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 1390LMT 4.3-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

Lane assist flashes a picture of the lane you should be in during your journey. It's quite handy when driving unfamiliar roads by keeping you on course. On units without, I would often drive unknowingly onto the wrong lane, then hear, at the point of no return, "Recalculating".

Traffic is also something that is quite handy as well. GPS warns you of impending traffic ahead. In Settings, the unit defaults to avoid Traffic and in theory you can proactively drive around it if you're familiar with the roads. The advertisements that pop up of local businesses, and coupons are not that obtrusive.

Life time maps was also something I thought would be valuable. Maps are updated by Garmin 4 times a year. I have not tested however if the updates include new sub-divisions. I also don't know if it corrects Points of Interests (PiT).

When I was in Boston, I plotted "Fish Shack" in PiT. Driving there, the GPS thought Fish Shack was on the other side of the road. I have no way of testing whether the update corrects this until I revisit Boston. Which brings up the actual Map Updating process. It's not documented and difficult.

The Garmin 1390LMT comes with 2GB of memory on board. If you want the entire map available, including all of North America, parts of Mexico, etc, 2GB is insufficient. You'll need to narrow down maps to install. Then there's the updating.

Two nights ago, I noticed a new update available. Since the unit was full (with the old map), it didn't allow for the update. Sure I thought, buy a MicroSD card*. (Garmin 1390LMT accepts MicroSD. I figured buy the largest one. Problem though is that largest MicroSD card I found at Future Shop was 2GB. Larger cards are MicroSDHC. Largest card it can read I was told is 8GB MicroSDHC). After purchase and installing the MicroSDHC card, the software still thought there was insufficient space ???

After scouring the unhelpful manual, freeing up space on unit (by deleting unwanted language support, pics etc), I discovered in Garmin Forums that you need to delete the base map which is in a hidden folder. There is no setting to choose MicroSD for extra storage. On a design stand point this makes sense. You don't want to remove the base map accidentally (effectively making your GPS useless) however, it's disconcerting reading in the forum,

"You can delete the internal pre-installed map by locating and deleting gmapprom.img from your device. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DOING!"

Anyhow, after backing up deleting the .img file on unit, Map update software did indeed work.

Overall, I'm very happy with the unit and the features make it a 4 star GPS, however, limited memory makes it difficult to utilize 'Lifetime Map updates' (or to install the whole map-set for that matter). The process (or rather work-around) is not documented and difficult which for me negatively affects usability of this feature and lowers my rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS - no issues at all after a 4000km road trip, Oct. 28 2011

The software is very intuitive and user friendly, it's also quick to boot up, find your destination and calculate the route. There are millions of points of interests built in the map so all you have to do is search for starbucks for example to find closest one in your area in less than 30 seconds.

The map is very accurate and the lane assist feature is really useful especially in a city like LA where it's easy to take the wrong exit and find yourself in a bad part of town.

It has all the features you would need to customize the display or route information like avoiding highways or tolls, etc.

Overall it's a great GPS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Jan. 8 2012
Ramzan Khuwaja (Markham, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Very good product. Like lane assist. Simple and clear interface. great performance.
Like blue tooth support for phone. overall, great device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to beat this price and quality..., Feb. 13 2013
I have used this now for a few months and it works flawlessly. I have yet to find a better quality one or a lower price one that comes with all of theses features. The blue tooth features on this GPS is what takes it over the top as it is so simple to use and makes you 100% safer when driving. Its a great GPS for a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, Dec 28 2011
Line Larabie - See all my reviews
The package was well wrapped, like usual. Amazon is great when it comes to purchases and delivery has never been an issue. Keep up the great work. Thank you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Bluetooth is not dependable, April 12 2014
I have several Garmin GPS units, I prefer them over Magellan and other brands, mainly for the software and ease of use. This has been a good unit, except that the bluetooth isn't dependable - it sporadically works and then cuts out - I was using it with my iPhone. If it powers down, the bluetooth does not come back on, you have to go into settings and turn it on again, which sort of defeats the purpose of hands-free driving... I gave up and went to a stereo deck with bluetooth that works great, the Garmin is now just a GPS. Works fine for that, just like all Garmins.

3.0 out of 5 stars Speaker, April 14 2013
The speaker has a raspy sound makes it hard to hear. It is very irritating and I may contact Garmin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not exceptional., Feb. 11 2013
Followed the instructions upon receipt of the unit (Garmin Nuvi 1390LMT), I took the device outside to get it to locate the satalites. I then plugged into my computer and followed the instrcutions on [...] The process is very easy to follow.

The full North American maps cannot be downloaded onto the divice without an additional memory card. There are several options availible, of which I chose Eastern US, which includes Eastern Canada as this is the most likely area that I would be driving.

Upload / update time took around half an hour.

I used the fully charged device and the battery lasted around 2.5 hours before I had to plug it in to the lighter socket.

Overall, the directions were ok, but several new road layouts weren't recognised. In addition, the lane display doesn't always work. An old existing road layout has six lanes, of which I know the righhand-most two lead to the road that I need. There was no lane assist at all during this transition as the divice considers the road I required to be a continuation on the current road. If I wasn't familar with the layout, I would be headed in the wring direction.

Overall then, the device is ok, but not as helpful as I had hoped. This is my first GPS device. It's helpful, versus something that can be relied on.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Garmin is named Jill, Dec 28 2012
My Garmin is easy to use and is packed with useful featuresnr like bluetooth, traffic and map updates, plus accessories come in handy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, Dec 1 2012
Bought this product on Black Friday for a huge discount. I can say it is worth what I paid for (not the original price!)
this Garmin Nuvi 1390 LMT is very slow and lags a lot!!! (I am writing this comment in my first day using it), I had to reset it several times because of the lagging.
therefore, the quality is 2 stars out of 5.

Pro: Bluetooth hands free..... Con: doesnt show the names nor saying who is calling.
Pro: Lots of POI (point of interests).... Con: not as user friendly as TomTom

ARRAY(0xadf2e408)