5.0 out of 5 stars Love the larger screen

3.0 out of 5 stars Often accurate
Published on Aug. 21 2011 by Prairie Pal

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the larger screen, Feb. 2 2011
YJGUY (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have used the [ Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator for a month now and I am really glad I purchased it. I ended up getting a great deal here on Amazon during their boxing day sales so it was that much sweeter. I have an old 3.5" Garmin Nuvi and I have always loved it. I bought that back in the day for around $450 and it just didn't seem worth it to upgrade the maps since it was so old and pretty slow. Plus the screen was very small and hard to read.

I started shopping around and decided that I wanted a 5" screen to make life easier. I picked up a TomTom 5" unit at a big box store and tried it out on a 2 week trip through Alberta and BC. The screen was nice but the maps and Points of Interest that were stored on the device were really lacking. It was missing some pretty basic and large tourist attractions we were trying to find and ended having to use google on our cell phones to find certain attractions. Any yes, I updated the GPS with the latest update from TomTom before we left. That was the second concern with the TomTom. It has a limited amount of internal memory and the existing maps were using up nearly 100% of the space available. This was a concern to me as it really didn't leave any room if they decided to offer upgraded maps or features in the future. I returned the unit when we got back from vacation.

I waited for the boxing day sales and found the Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator on for $178 which was a decent deal considering it had the lifetime map updates. I've used it on a few trips out of town and I really like it. The screen is very bright and responds quickly. It also locks onto the satellites fairly quickly. The Garmin menus are easy to navigate through so plotting a trip is very easy. It also has the FM Traffic feature that I had not used before. I was skeptical about it but it did alert us to some traffic delays when traveling around Montreal and a highway closure coming into Ottawa, routing us around the affected area. Another nice feature of the bigger screen is you can place the GPS in the middle of the dash so the passenger can see it as well. With my old smaller one I'd have to keep it close to me on the left side of the steering wheel so I could see what turns were coming up. Makes things a bit safer plus they can re-program it if need be while on the move.

When not in use, it is pretty slim and fits in my wife's purse without taking up too much room. Just make sure you get a decent case to protect the screen from getting scratched when not in use. It's worth the $20 - $30 you'll spend.

So far, I'm glad I ditched the TomTom and went back to the Garmin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Often accurate, Aug. 21 2011
Prairie Pal (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I just used this GPS on a 5,000 mile trip through eastern Canada and the United States and have very mixed feelings about it. When it is working it is a marvellous device; the lane indicator function is especially valuable. The screen is clear and it is relatively easy to program. The estimated time of arrival was usually pretty accurate. The problem is that this Nuvi did not always work well. It turned itself off frequently for no particular reason. There were whole days when it could not locate a satellite. Sometimes the directions were to places I had never requested and sometimes (particularly when starting a trip) the directions were not the most efficient. Some of the sites under "shopping" no longer existed. The end result of all this is that I was always suspicious of the directions I was given and the trip, as a result, was more stressful than it should have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Big Screen, Aug. 23 2011
This a nice GPS. The 5 inch screen makes navigation easier than the smaller ones. It has nice features with the turn by turn voice street navigation. This makes getting around easier than the GPS with simple turn by turn instructions. We have not used the hands free cel phone blue tooth application, but would be very handy if I set it up. There are different voice options, which is nice.You can listen to a man,woman or...not sure(androgynous?)
Basically a good GPS for the money and great with lifetime maps.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice!, Oct. 3 2011
i recently upgraded from an older nuvi and i can't believe how much better they've gotten. i love the extra details, such as the visual lane indicator and the traffic notices. excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, April 26 2011
I just used the Garmin nuvi 1450 for a 20-hour trip through 4 provinces. The large screen made it easy to program my route, and being able to load up several way points meant that I didn't have to fiddle with the device while driving. The Traffic function warned me of upcoming slowdowns in the cities, the screen was easy to read, it calculated route changes quickly, and the lane assist was startlingly accurate - what I saw on the GPS screen was the same as through the windshield, sans cars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Travel Tool, March 4 2014
This is a great item for finding your way around a strange city. Do not use if on Forest Service roads or back roads. The maps can not keep up with the changes. Probably works better in the US. It's kind of humorous to be driving on some of the lesser roads and have your vehicle shown driving through the wildrness 1/2 a kilometer away from where the road is. The only complaint I have is that it locks up sometimes while I am traveling. Bit of a nuisance but it comes back if I turn it off for an hour or so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been better!, May 11 2013
We are generally happy with it, but ...

The setting options are more limited than I thought.

The device is not updated about the traffic status, so your trip may take longer than the device initially suggested.

4.0 out of 5 stars good navigator, Feb. 7 2013
easy to use. the battery doesn't seem to charge though. we don't mind it because it connects in the car but we can't seem to charge it outside very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars nuvi 1450lmt, April 28 2012
ASIN:B003ZX8B2S Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator]]

i bought this gps about a month ago. i've used it acouple of times in a small town where i'm very familar with the streets. once, it gave me the wrong destination and the second time it gave me the wrong directions out of town. Not a good first impression!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars its ok. works well but with the new map ..., Sept. 19 2014
its ok. works well but with the new map updates had to add micro sd card as it said that no more space.
Also unit became slower after the last updates.