1,209 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film with beautiful steebook case
The movie is simply stunning. It's my favorite Tarantino's film. What really amazing with Kill Bill (both part 1 and 2) is that the more I watch it, the more is getting better. I bought the steelbook case version. Even though it's more expensive, it really worths it. It's one of the most beautiful steelbook out there.
Published 11 months ago by don-hi

2.0 out of 5 stars okay
This film is way exaggerated.I recommend "The Rock" in "Walking Tall" instead.
Published on May 5 2004 by Benjamin Wilkerson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film with beautiful steebook case, May 23 2013
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent., May 3 2013
Angelo "RHtonyflowCP" (Crawley, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This film stands as a timeless classic that is one of my favourite films of all time by my favourite director of all time. A must have any collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars repugnant gloss, May 19 2004
christopher wren "christopher_wren" (Denver, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
I love Pulp Fiction, and I possess a whole-heared admiration for Reservoir Dogs (a film utterly unappreciated for its frighteningly hard-line moral stance on its characters, who all pay in effectively repulsive ways). I own many video and DVD manifestations of those films. But Kill Bill I find repugnant.
The very first shot in the film announces Tarantino's giddy, disturbing irresponsibility: a lingering close-in of Uma Thurman bloodied, terrified, pathetic as an abused puppy, vulnerable and gored, panting out her gruesome defeat, while a smooth-talking thug spouts, off camera, his zen-a-la-slaughter thoughts on sadism. Knowing she's about to be killed, Thurman desperately--horrifyingly, to be honest--says she's carrying the guy's baby--and then we see the spray of blood behind her head. Roll titles, to tune of a hip, depressive song about a violently failed relationship.
I could readily stop taking the film so seriously, except that it's foundational premise adamantly, indignantly instructs me to take it seriously. Contemplate her last (we think) gesture, pitiably wasted on that tragically futile attempt to win mercy. My horror at her terror derives from the infinite ache that Tarantino makes her (really us, since he invented the thing to fill theaters) endure before he giggles "Psyche!" and makes his movie into the gushing cartoon it really is. If the whole film is an honorific romp through karate-dom, this opener is inexcusable. Uma's suffering is effectively real, genuinely involving, and repulsively, disgustingly, irrepresibly sadistic as a film invention for this dismissable genre. Tarntino missed that point so badly; the films he's honoring are soap-operatic, superficially involving, and radically forgettable and forgivable. They're also consistent in tone, even dreck like John Woo's Hard Target.
So why this horrifying opening? It's like spinning cotton candy on an unpicked femur. You don't start kung-fu-on-helium with a shot like that. That crucial shot contextualizes violence as something abhorrant, something we're greedy to escape, not greedy to behold. Yet Kill Bill is never, at any point, The Pianist or Platoon or even Ordinary People. It's not even Blade Runner, which values life-urge the way Uma supposedly does. It is just a d@mned sword movie, guys, but the premise Tarantino concocts to impel Uma's revenge World Tour is one that Victor Hugo and Shakespeare and Homer--h#ll, even Leone and Kurasawa, Scorcese, even De Palma--gave potent meditation to, the crushing potency of spiritual and physical agony. I fervently hope that first images, together with what Uma must face then and later, some of it on-screen, disturbed you. A presumably dead baby (sure, it's alive, Tarantino's ironically gutless bow-down to decency, but he makes us suffer our own and Uma's certainty that it's been literally cut out of her), a suffering yet taunted woman, four years of constant rape, repugnant vaseline sight-gags, the emphasis on Passion of the Christ suffering--and then, hot dog!--a plot that treats all other human flesh like hydrants to tap for their edifying blood pressure! What wretched inconsistency! But on the other hand, oh, what intertitles, what colored flood-lighting, what small-cache songs so carefully chosen that Tarantino fatuously identifies them in the subtitles! Maybe it's really not even about swords at all, but about Tarntino's CD and movie collection. Or it's Lorenzo's Oil meets Adam West. Or it's just the most indulgent, irresposible film since Pearl Harbor. Should we pity Uma for her past or envy her for those fetching track suits? I don't think Tarantino has a clue what he wants, except for an audience and a chance to work with Sonny Chiba.
In the final scene, the extended fight at the Japanese inn, the film's sound design makes the bodies sound like fruit and sponges, and the shot composition places Uma inside chambers of well-tailored flesh; the men's bodies become the mere substance walling her in, and she hacks away heedlessly. I can handle the blood sprays visually, but it gets so tedious, so uninventive. That shot when Uma's finished, when she looks over the rail and tells them to leave their limbs--what an apt metaphor for Tarantino's screenplay, an unremitting field of chortling red sameness. Many times her sword strokes assault the viewer, as she slices dudes (corpses-in-waiting) who appear between Uma and us, their backs filling the screen; WE then become Tarantino's target. The zest and piquant bliss we are presumably meant to find in these Matrix meathouse follies hardly jives with the picture of genuine suffering that started the whole movie. That opening shot is as strong an argument against the misuse of film violence as anything in Unforgiven, yet Tarantino simply changes Uma's clothes, rehabilitates her big toe, gets her a vulgar ride, and off she goes on her smiling, well-decored way. Four years of zero dignity traded for popcorn pleasures and lethal schoolgirls. From Desdemona to "follow the yellow cheese road" in a jiff!
Reviews praising the film for being feminist missed all the female suffering, all the vicious-and-then-dead females, the little girls who see their parents slaughtered, Uma's grief when she can't find her baby in her stomach, the rape, the vaseline (p-layed as a joke, of all things!), the name of the pick-up Uma has to drive, Bill's control over Uma's kid--over her motherhood--etc, etc, etc. Ume gets revenge, you say. Ok, but what kind of a person is she? I don't mind that she's a violent character, but that's all she is. She is just the violent one who wins. She is a victorous, arbitrary woman. And anyway, the opener makes us want to see her safe, not just revenged--that far lesser option.
The scene that sums it all up occurs in the suburban house, when Uma and what's-her-hiss (who cares what purposely absurd snake-name Tarantino drew out of a terrarium for her) are interrupted by the little girl. Our discomfort there--and I am sure he wants us to feel some--should be instructive. Had Tarantino actually lowered the stakes in these painful scenes, he could have made a better film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pickles in my Trix, May 18 2004
By A Customer
so here's the deal: I may like trix as much as the next guy & I may like pickles too, but it doesn't mean that I like them both at the same time in the same dish. And that's my basic problem with Kill Bill. The combination of genres is just not to my taste. Obviously there are a lot of fans out there who like the combinations & paraphrasing of different film genres, but to me the movie just looks like a mess. It may be that I don't catch all of the references, though I suspect that the target audience for the film really boils down to the few people in the world who actually study Mr. Tarantino's influences (i.e. all 10 people in the world who have written books about yakuza films or Hong Kong Kung-fu films). This really detracts from any emotional attachment to the film and, as a result, at the end I really didn't care what happened to any of the characters. After watching, it made me feel about as well as I might after eating a bowl of trix cereal with pickle juice. Think I'll be passing on seconds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow...awesome!, May 11 2004
B. Pluta "*****" (Brooklyn) - See all my reviews
Man...Tarantino is back! And by back, I mean boring!
If you like style without substance...Kill Bill! It's got awesome swordfights broken up by pointless moments of dead space and 8th-grade short-story dialogue! It's got one-sided characters! It's got the lamest cliffhanger ever! And it's only half of a movie! Ooh boy! I can't not wait not to see Vol. 2! [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars The Big Sleep, May 11 2004
I missed watching this one on the big screen, but having watched it on video, I don't think I missed watching it on the big screen :-)
Let me qualify myself certainly not a Tarantino hater. I liked Pulp Fiction. A lot. And Jackie Brown. And Reservoir Dogs. And Desperado. Dusk to Dawn was just barely ok, in my opinion.
The latest installment from the king of in-your-face-gore is lacklustre, trivial, and eminently boring. There is no semblance of logic, the scenes are randomly strung together, the acting is tired, the fight scenes are WAAYYY too long and tedious, and I amd tired of listening to japanese bartenders who double as zen masters when business is slow.
Bad people did bad things to the heroine. She goes on a globetrotting mission to get even. But does it have to drag so interminably so? Does blood really gush like 10 fire hydrants from a severed limb? The sets are tacky beyond wildest belief. The acting is coarse. The storyline is hackneyed and worn threadbare. There is nothing here that hasn't been told in the previous movies. The zen is of the mumbo jumbo 2-minute ramen variety that is laughable at the very least.
There are logical chasms here that you could drop the Titanic into. Examples - A strapping 10 foot guy tries to rape a comatose girl in her hospital bed who has been vegetating and atrophying on life support for 4 years. And she bites his tongue off and wrestles him to death. And then she kills the nurse - another able bodied guy by repeatedly banging a door on his head. All this seconds after she snaps out of her 4-year coma. Then she gets into a truck and drives off. Then she gets on a flight to Japan and gets a samurai sword from a bartender. Then she singlehandedly slaughters about 50 Japanese samurai in one go, all armed with heavy duty swords themselves(I guess they were fresh out of bullets in Japan) ...ok, you get it. This is bilge of the highest quality.
The one good thing about this movie is that it just saved me spending eight dollars to watch Kill Bill 2. I will probably watch it when it comes out on video. Or better perhaps when it ever gets picked up by TBS or TNT :-) My advice to you is to do the same.

1.0 out of 5 stars Full circle., May 10 2004
Robert Hawkes (Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
Leaving aside that this non-interactive video game must be one of the most dehumanizing things we have ever seen in the mainstream cinema, consider this: in earliest days of the motion picture, nobody had learned to care about story or character. They just wanted to see the pictures move. And that's exactly what we get here: no story or character, just moving pictures. We end where we began. But in a sorrier condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars this one sucks, May 7 2004
By A Customer
dont listen to the 5 star reviews. they are all executives from the company tricking people to buy this garbage. it has a documentry, about 6 trailers from the director's movies. and a music video from a asian band. thats it! and for 20 bucks? nonononono!!
the movie it self is ok but the only flaws is that it left me dissatisfied because of its ending. and because of the black and white interference in the middle of the fight between the blonde chick and the samurai guys at the restaurant and some other parts of the movie.
if you want your money worths get matrix movies full of extra features. an advice of mine is this: always investigate a movie before buying because companies dont put enough extra features to satisfy the customers and then you wait a while and guess what? they are releasing a special edition with other features and that means if you want it you're going have to spend more money. and thats why the mpaa are losing money because their movies are so expensive with something so little for something that should be like 10 bucks or lower. anyway dont buy this movie. rent it first and dont listen to these 5 star reviews they are like wolves in sheeps clothing trying to deceive you.
remember you been warned, my friend. have a nice day.

2.0 out of 5 stars okay, May 5 2004
Benjamin Wilkerson (prescott,az.) - See all my reviews
This film is way exaggerated.I recommend "The Rock" in "Walking Tall" instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars omg,whats happened to american taste?, May 1 2004
Benjamin Wilkerson (prescott,az.) - See all my reviews
I cant believe it takes films like this to entertain americans today..everything else is considered slow-moving and boring.Please,pass this one up.

ARRAY(0xb555315c)

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray]
Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray] by Quentin Tarantino (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 30.99 CDN$ 17.99