1,211 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Some amazing artwork with some unfortunate dents/marks.
I had previously owned both Vol 1 & 2 on VHS, so these were a much needed upgrade. The steelbooks have some really nice artwork and it was my main reason for purchasing them. Unfortunately I was slightly disappointed as both volumes had marks and dents on the case in spots that jump out at you while admiring the art.

I would very much recommend these...
Published 4 months ago by Matthew

1.0 out of 5 stars The most over hyped movie ever
I wanted to get it. I wanted to appreciate, heck, love this movie as much as most of the reviewers out there, but it just didn't happen. This is the single emptiest, unsatisfying, pretentious, unredeeming pile of poser loaf in the history of cinema.
Published on April 20 2004 by klownboy

1.0 out of 5 stars The most over hyped movie ever, April 20 2004
klownboy "klownboy" (Minnesota - Where if its not mandated, its prohibited.) - See all my reviews
Now I AM a fan of Tarantino. The first movie I put in when I finally got the big screen TV and surround sound was "Resevoir Dogs". I dragged friends to see "Pulp Fiction". For a while he was pretty impressive. He's lost it in this one.
I know, I know. Everybody will point out all the "homages" that Tarantino pays to the "great" martial arts action movies, and to the speghetti westerns, etc. But when you blantantly steal a vibe or a scene, or even an outfit: pee on it, and make it meaningless, its not an homage, it's more like a desecration. It's not creative and new, it's derivative and dead. From the empty delivery of the intentionally hokey dialogue, to the cartoony wire-fu combat, to the puppety-looking sets and airline sequences, it plays more like a 60's batman episode. For a few minutes I was almost ready to credit him with making a great action movie farce. But it's too unmovingly violent, and too full of itself to even succeed as a satire.
Tarantino does use some editing techniques that, in a better movie, might've made a positive difference. Here they have just the opposite effect; using the directors mastery of technical detail to mock his inability to construct a story. Flash-backs, flash-forwards, flash-animations all stroll through the plot, not because they need to to tell the story, but because, hey, he's Quentin T, and if he want to clown-punch his way through a cinematic sequence then that's what he's gonna do.
I guess the lesson here is that if you really want to, you can spend dozens of millions of dollars to make a crappy retread action movie when most production teams can do it for less than 8.
Gaudy, empty, emotionally uninvolving, repetitive, derivative, schlocky, masturbatorily violent, and ultimately ineffective.
If you buy the hype, then buy the movie. My advice is to use your head and walk away.

1.0 out of 5 stars what a horrible movie, April 19 2004
this definitly was not tarintos best movie in fact it was easily his worst i love all of the other quentin movies but this one had suck a horrible plot it was like he just thought a plot so that he good have an excuse to have as much fun as he wants with the action all though i did like the japanese animation part that was very good but as far as the rest of the movie goes you would be much better off buying one of his older films throught out the movie i felt like i had seen this before sadly i cant recall where also i kept feeling like something was missing from the movie like it was a sequel to another movie or something.
Basically in the movie uma thurman wakes up from a coma that she was put into after her family was killed at her wedding
she kills the janitor who has been raping her while she has been in a coma then she goes finds one of the people who was at the wedding and help kill her family so she kills her then her daughter sees and uma thurman says she was not ment to see that she leaves the house goes to japan to kill another member there she goes to a place where she trains and is equipped with a sword then she goes and kills the jappanneese girl and that is the end of the first movie
Everyone is sayiing this review is not helpful but you know what im being blankly honest the movie was terrible and if you dont like what i have to say im sorry im just trying to help people out there who are about to make a bad decision and buy this movie

1.0 out of 5 stars Glorified Music Video, April 18 2004
G. Devai "makeithapn" (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
First off, let me say that like most people, I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. In fact, I watched them several times without getting tired of them. I even watched Jackie Brown a couple of times. But I'm having a tough time getting through even my first viewing of Kill Bill. I have been watching it today 10-15 minutes at a time b/c it's just too damn BORING.
This movie is basically an extended music video, interrupted by bouts of violence and the kind of dialog you would expect a 16-year-old to come up with. Anybody who's calling this movie "artistic" is seriously lacking in IQ. Tarentino basically took a random sampling of popular culture and made it into a "video"-- I wouldn't even call this a movie.
All the Asian characters are caricatures of tired stereotypes. In fact, ALL the characters look and act like they belong in some lame-ass comic book your kid brother just drew up. To boot, not only does this movie lack a message, damn-near half of it is pure filler. By filler I mean half the time you're just looking at people sitting or walking or driving with music in the background. None of these montages advance the plot, so the only purpose they serve is to make the movie long enough for cinematic release.
The fact that most people are giving this 5 stars is a testament to the stupidity of the American public. It barely even passes for a 70's B-movie, big budget or no.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quentin Tarintino's Blood Feast, April 18 2004
This is the movie you get when there is no plot, no story line, no meaningful dialogue and you have to fill 2hours worth of film.
It's bad enough that the director has to tell you what time line you are currently viewing and that ain't much help after all. Let's see, we were 4 years ago, 4 years later, two days past 4 years later and tomorrow 6 months ago. HUH? And don't forget the all important subtitles and animation he added to make sure you "got it". I think at the very least he could have spent a little extra money on the English translation of the English dialogue because otherwise I can not tell what the H--- is going on!
I finally "got" Pulp Fiction after the 12th viewing. I even managed to keep up with "Resevoir Dogs" even tho there were no subtitles and no Englsh to English translation. The actors even had characters to match their given nicknames! I loved that movie and have probably seen it ten times! BUT..........
I guess it's me, apparently this is a Testosterone flick and since I don't have that particular hormone this movie could not get past my brain sensors. I swear if I could have found where Amazondotcom hides the 1/2 and 0 stars I would have made good use of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of 20 bucks!, May 1 2004
Jen333 "Jen333" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I loved Tarantino movies like "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction" so I paid 20 bucks for the DVD thinking this movie would be great too. WRONG!! This movie is so bad that I had to turn it off after about 45 minutes. Probably only the 3rd or 4th time I've had to do that in my life, so that's pretty bad. It is very slow-moving and boring, and it constantly strays away from the point. You have to sit through about 15 minutes of cartoon-fighting which I thought was retarded. If I wanted to watch cartoons I'd borrow my nephew's DVDs. There wasn't nearly as much fighting or violence as in his other movies (at least in the first half) but of what violence it did have sucked. And the parts where he tried to make it funny were not at all funny. They were stupid. I can't believe this movie sucked so bad! What a huge disppointment. Don't waste your money - it sucks!

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS DVD!, April 20 2004
S. Koterbay "Professor of Art History" (Johnson City, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Now, don't get me wrong- I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I'm in awe of Tarantino, love the postmodern ironic/unironic constant appropriation that infuses this movie with style, panache, thrills, and giggles. It's a GREAT movie!
But, the DVD is TERRIBLE! A music video (not even a good one) of some wacky Japanese chicks (give me Shonen Knife anyday instead) and "The Making of..." is ALL you get for special features. And, And, AND,,,
IT'S CENSORED! How come only ONE of Sophie's arms are cut off? Where's the second? HOW MUCH IS MISSING FROM THIS DVD? WHY ARE WE BEING SOLD A RE-EDITED VERSION OF THE THEATRICAL RELEASE????
Why? To make more money, to justify a stupid "director's cut". This is a rip-off, and I'm appalled that Tarantino, who claims to love cinema, should abuse us this badly.
Wait for the director's cut... don't buy this piece of trash DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring Mess!, April 20 2004
SeaWasp (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
Tarantino yanks his ankle once again. Takes a bite out of every film he has seen, chews it up, swallows it, then regurgitates the whole mess over his adoring fan base who obviously have not seen the original superior versions of the exploitation classics QT adores so much and steals from. Beats me why he's so popular. The late, great character actor Marc Lawrence had him pegged as a smartmouth Hollywood upstart and he was right on the money. In the "making of" doco on the dvd, Quentin talks of the (very inept) trashy Japanese girl band, The 5,6,7,8's, that he uses in "Kill Bill.". He says "They're Japanese, they play surf music! How cool is that?" No Quentin, that's NOT cool and neither is this pretentious mess of a movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait until it was over, March 5 2004
John (United States) - See all my reviews
I knew from the beginning how dumb it was going to be. Uma Thurman knocks on the door and her and Vivica Fox start fighting. Then there's some cussing. Then more fighting. Then we go on to more scenes. More fighting. More cussing. Enter Lucy Liu (who sucks by the way). More fighting. More cussing. Get the gist yet? That pretty much about sums up the movie. Fighting and cussing. And not to mention overdone graphic blood scenes to hide an otherwise inept plotline. Oh and by the way, who was Bill? Oh yeah that's right, we have to see volume 2. So in other words, Tarantino is cashing in for two movies because you would have to see whatever the hell is going to go on in the second one. Like anyone cares at this point.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tarantinwho?, April 14 2004
By A Customer
What is supposed to be so great about this guy? This is badly written and badly directed pap and not since Monty Python have we seen blood spurting so generously. Is this supposed to be a farce or is it just sick self-indulgence?
In scene one our 'heroine' appears bloodied and pregnant in a wedding dress and is shortly shot in the head. Things go downhill from there. The fight scenes are ludicrous, the dialogue appauling and every single step is utterly predictable in all respects except perhaps the level of bloodflow.
This is just twisted and apparently pointless. So she's out for revenge? Why is it that I don't care? Oh that's right, the characterisation sucks.
I'm so glad I wasn't the one who rented this.

1.0 out of 5 stars More pollution from one of Hollywood's sickest minds, April 25 2004
By A Customer
All this movie did is confirm my suspicions that QT is a loudmouth wannabe auteur who can't get over shocking people for
fun and profit. Idiot. Why doesn't he just keep his adolescent femme fatale stroke fantasies to himself instead of inflicting them on the world?
And I just don't get America. People freak out over a tiny glimpse of part of Janet Jackson's breast, and yet this ultra-violent, dehumanizing, brutal, over-hyped empty garbage continues to be produced. Go figure. Anything for a buck in Tinseltown, I suppose. The saddest part is that children will watch it. This filth is one of the best arguments for censorship I can think of. Way to set the bar lower, Quentin!

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray]
Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray] by Quentin Tarantino (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 30.99 CDN$ 14.99