5.0 out of 5 stars Light and handy!
It arrived sooner than expected (around the 2nd day of order!)
Sealed package. I'm using it for my mac so I had some formatting to do (directions are inside the harddrive, a bit confusing at first)
The size is perfect to carry around, it's really fast for file transfers as well. Thumbs up!
Published on Jan. 6 2011 by Jes06

1.0 out of 5 stars Pipton
Why does this thing make noise? My 500gb surrogate drive was soundless. I dont feel secure because I depend on this like a heart beat monitor. When I heard the noise, I also did a back up on the surrogate drive. I heard that rumbling and shaking can effect the stuff inside. People should have included the extremely loud rumbling and shaking or this little thing in the...
Published on April 26 2012 by Alex

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and handy!, Jan. 6 2011
This review is from: Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive WDBACX0010BBK-NESN (Black) (Personal Computers)
It arrived sooner than expected (around the 2nd day of order!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, Jan. 15 2011
I ordered the 1TB My Passport Essential from Amazon just before Christmas with the hope it would get here before the first week of January BUT it came two days before Christmas and all I did was follow the directions and plug it in and it has been doing its job since then.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely small, Aug. 11 2011
I always keep my reviews plain and simple: straight to what you need to know.

Pros:

- Small like a travel passport.
- Very lightweight.
- Ability to right-click and delete the included WD Smartware files (Finally!).

Cons:

- Glossy enclosure prone to scratching and dust sticking to it.
- Shows the "New hardware found" notification under Windows XP everytime you plug it (Western Digital... Sigh!). No notification under Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable hard drive at a great price., Oct. 27 2011
Western Digital makes fantastic products and this 'My Passport' is no different. It's silent, small, and works seamlessly with my Mac. Couldn't be easier to use and is a pleasure when traveling and you need additional capacity to store files.

5.0 out of 5 stars when ony the best will do., Oct. 11 2011
This little well priced unit will do it all, just plug it into your computer,and start loading your data.I havent had any problems what so ever, and dont expect any in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price for a good product, Feb. 26 2013
This is a great buy for a good price! Most stores sell 1Tb hard drives like this for about $180-$200.
It's small and lightweight, easy for travel.
It reads fast on my mac, but you will have to find a program that allows you to read and write to hard drives like this since they are typically for Windows systems.
I recommend buying a good case for this since it can be prone to breaking if dropped hard or often. I'm prone to dropping things so I have a good case to protect this in order not to lose any of my data.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had it for a while and still working good!, Jan. 21 2013
I bought this to hook it up to my WDTV. When I "get" movies I add them to my hard drive wirelessly through my WDTV which is connected to my router. Excellent setup!

Anyways, i'm always paranoid my hard drives will crash so I back-up all my precious items (photo's, home movies, etc) on 3 different drives - until I invest in a Drobo type device. Anyways, this one is used the most and is hooked up to my TV and on most of the time. So far, it's worked perfectly with no issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way - a bit paranoid!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good external drive for backup, Jan. 3 2013
It's a compact and light external drive for backing up your data. The only problem is it's a bit noisy.

5.0 out of 5 stars High capacity in a slick looking little external hard drive, July 2 2012
PT Cruiser - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I can remember when I was impressed by a 356 MB hard drive on my new computer. (Remember those days?) Now here's this back-up external drive that is a terabyte, something that not so many years ago was in the domain only of supercomputers that took up whole rooms. The really impressive thing is that this is such a nice compact little drive, not much bigger than a deck of playing cards. I've used other drives for back up and have always avoided the back up software that came with some of them, fearing it would get in the way and slow things down when I'm working or that it would take too much time to figure out what to back up and how often to do so. As a result, I often forget to back things up, which could be a disaster if I ever had a hard drive failure.

Now the nice thing about a large external drive such as this one is that it has tons of space and I can just back up everything and keep several copies. The software that comes on the drive installs in minutes and checks for updates for both software and firmware. It gives you a choice of what to back up and the choice of pausing backups when you're working, so you don't have to worry about it getting in your way when you're doing something else. It was simple to enter password protection and comes with a manual on the drive that's easy to understand, as manuals go. You can also choose how many backups to keep at a time and where you'd like those stored. The settings are simple to set up, even partitioning the drive if you decide to do so.

I've used it for a few weeks now and hardly notice it being there. It just does its thing in the background and I can check the backups so I know they're there. Using Windows XP, it puts a little icon down in the menu bar where I can check at any time to see how much space has been used, whether or not it is locked and if the temperature is OK. Unlike some drives I've used in the past, this one seems to run pretty cool and I've never felt it being warm, even when the summer temperatures in the room were warm. I like that it's so small, yet has such high capacity. I'm using a 2.0 interface but it's nice to know it has the 3.0 capability for future use with perhaps a different computer. Two thumbs up for this external hard drive.

I received this product through the Amazon Vine review program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beau, petit, léger, May 16 2012
Nicolas Valente "Nico" (France) - See all my reviews
Il vaut son prix. Il est beau, petit et léger.
La capacité de stockage ne pourra pas satisfaire ceux qui ont de grandes bibliothèques de film à sauvegarder... mais suffira amplement aux autres qui veulent stocker des photos personnelles par exemple.
Acheté depuis 6 mois, j'en suis toujours pleinement satisfait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›