4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely small
I always keep my reviews plain and simple: straight to what you need to know.

Pros:

- Small like a travel passport.
- Very lightweight.
- Ability to right-click and delete the included WD Smartware files (Finally!).

Cons:

- Glossy enclosure prone to scratching and dust sticking to it.
- Shows the "New hardware...
Published on Aug. 11 2011 by H-F

1.0 out of 5 stars Pipton
Why does this thing make noise? My 500gb surrogate drive was soundless. I dont feel secure because I depend on this like a heart beat monitor. When I heard the noise, I also did a back up on the surrogate drive. I heard that rumbling and shaking can effect the stuff inside. People should have included the extremely loud rumbling and shaking or this little thing in the...
Published on April 26 2012 by Alex

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely small, Aug. 11 2011
This review is from: Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive WDBACX0010BBK-NESN (Black) (Personal Computers)
I always keep my reviews plain and simple: straight to what you need to know.

Pros:

- Small like a travel passport.
- Very lightweight.
- Ability to right-click and delete the included WD Smartware files (Finally!).

Cons:

- Glossy enclosure prone to scratching and dust sticking to it.
- Shows the "New hardware found" notification under Windows XP everytime you plug it (Western Digital... Sigh!). No notification under Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and handy!, Jan. 6 2011
It arrived sooner than expected (around the 2nd day of order!)
Sealed package. I'm using it for my mac so I had some formatting to do (directions are inside the harddrive, a bit confusing at first)
The size is perfect to carry around, it's really fast for file transfers as well. Thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, Jan. 15 2011
I ordered the 1TB My Passport Essential from Amazon just before Christmas with the hope it would get here before the first week of January BUT it came two days before Christmas and all I did was follow the directions and plug it in and it has been doing its job since then.

5.0 out of 5 stars External Hard Drive, July 18 2011
H. Lau "Sharon" (Lansing, MI) - See all my reviews
I purchased this item because my computer ran out of space, and amazon sells this unit for a fair price. I attach this product to my computer and I never remove it, the system never gets hot or malfunction even though I leave my computer on all day, every day.

It functions as a external hard drive as I expect, and what I like about this unit is that the manufacturer allows me to delete default folders. I used to own sandisk USB drive, by default there are four folders, no matter how many times I delete them, they keep regenerating which was very annoying. This hard drive does not have that issue so I am very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and sleek like a cell phone, Aug. 1 2011
This small hard drive is great and holds a lot of data,music,picture and movies. Have this device hooked up to my WD media device,which also has an internal 1 tb hard drive. This gives me 2 tb of space for all my media to watch on my big screen TV. The best part is that it's self powered as soon as you stick it in the usb port. No electrical cord.:) Great device, would recommend it to all that need more space for their media.

5.0 out of 5 stars High capacity in a slick looking little external hard drive, July 2 2012
PT Cruiser - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I can remember when I was impressed by a 356 MB hard drive on my new computer. (Remember those days?) Now here's this back-up external drive that is a terabyte, something that not so many years ago was in the domain only of supercomputers that took up whole rooms. The really impressive thing is that this is such a nice compact little drive, not much bigger than a deck of playing cards. I've used other drives for back up and have always avoided the back up software that came with some of them, fearing it would get in the way and slow things down when I'm working or that it would take too much time to figure out what to back up and how often to do so. As a result, I often forget to back things up, which could be a disaster if I ever had a hard drive failure.

Now the nice thing about a large external drive such as this one is that it has tons of space and I can just back up everything and keep several copies. The software that comes on the drive installs in minutes and checks for updates for both software and firmware. It gives you a choice of what to back up and the choice of pausing backups when you're working, so you don't have to worry about it getting in your way when you're doing something else. It was simple to enter password protection and comes with a manual on the drive that's easy to understand, as manuals go. You can also choose how many backups to keep at a time and where you'd like those stored. The settings are simple to set up, even partitioning the drive if you decide to do so.

I've used it for a few weeks now and hardly notice it being there. It just does its thing in the background and I can check the backups so I know they're there. Using Windows XP, it puts a little icon down in the menu bar where I can check at any time to see how much space has been used, whether or not it is locked and if the temperature is OK. Unlike some drives I've used in the past, this one seems to run pretty cool and I've never felt it being warm, even when the summer temperatures in the room were warm. I like that it's so small, yet has such high capacity. I'm using a 2.0 interface but it's nice to know it has the 3.0 capability for future use with perhaps a different computer. Two thumbs up for this external hard drive.

I received this product through the Amazon Vine review program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable hard drive at a great price., Oct. 27 2011
Western Digital makes fantastic products and this 'My Passport' is no different. It's silent, small, and works seamlessly with my Mac. Couldn't be easier to use and is a pleasure when traveling and you need additional capacity to store files.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome external hard drive, May 15 2012
Western Digital makes the best hard drives in my experience. I own two of their internal drives for my PC, and also have subsequently purchased two external passport drives. This TB hard drive is packed into a very small package and is perfect for backing up media or transferring large files around. USB 3.0 connectivity is an awesome bonus for the speed, and it's where the standard will be in a few years I'm certain. I wanted a hard drive that was affordable, had a lot of storage, didn't require a separate plug in for power and was portable.

I highly recommend this hard drive or any other western digital product as I've had nothing but great experiences with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Product for the Money, March 21 2012
On the outside, My Passport looks appealing. My only complaint is there seems to be a conflict btw the software that came with the hard drive and either IE or Windows 7. WD website suggested downloading Net Framework 3.5 to resolve the issue but didn't work. I had to spend over an hour with WD tech support person, downloading and installing Net Framework 4,then everything works fine. My suggestion to WD is to include Net Framework 4 with the product to save customers from time wasting. I found the tech support person very friendly and knowledgable. The Smartware that came with the hard drive is very user-friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars when ony the best will do., Oct. 11 2011
This little well priced unit will do it all, just plug it into your computer,and start loading your data.I havent had any problems what so ever, and dont expect any in the future.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›