biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite vpcflyout Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: DVDChange

on December 5, 2010
WOW! Watched a few episodes of this on it's T.V.broadcast, and couldn't even take my eyes off the screen long enough to have a drink. Excellent production, watches like a novel reads...
on December 31, 2010
Not quite an exact replica of the book but phenomenal all the same. A story that will go down in history along side of other greats such as Gone With the Wind and North & South. Great acting and awesome story.
on January 5, 2011
This series was just as gripping as the original novel. Although the screenwriter didn't follow the book exactly, it flowed like a Ken Follett novel always does, leaving you wanting more at the end of each "chapter", in this case "episode". And what a pleasant surprise and treat to see Ken Follett himself in a minor role in one of the episodes. Highly recommended for Follett fans!
on January 30, 2011
This is just about the best mini-series I have ever seen. Everything about it is perfect. The adaption is faithfull to the book. The acting is topnotch. The costumes and setting made the story come to life. This is not for children but it makes a spectacular viewing for adults. We ended up watching the last four episodes none stop as we were hooked.
on May 13, 2012
I read the book and loved it. It was highly detailed...a long read...but worth it. I purposely didn't watch the series on TV because I didn't want to be interrupted by commercials. The video really captured the vision I had from the book. Obviously, many smaller details were left out and I missed those but for first time viewers, it would be a great series to watch.
I did miss the "golden" eyes described in the book as belonging to the beautiful "witch".
Wonderful acting by everyone.
on April 12, 2011
I couldn't stop watching. I watched the whole thing in one day! The acting, character growth, screenplay, cinematic is all amazing! I love the love story and battle scenes and they fit together so well. The family drama, church politics and architecture many not seem like they can go together, but they do and it is wonderful!
on April 23, 2012
Excellent cinematic adaptation of Follet's, "Pillars of the Earth". Follows the book story line very well. The series is well scripted and acted with major and minor Hollywood stars.
on January 15, 2011
Arrived in time for Christmas. What a great way to spend New Years .... a "Pillars Marathon" Very, very well done . As good an interpretation of the book as you could ever expect.
on February 13, 2012
Loved this story. Couldnt put the book down, so naturally when I was finished it, I sought out to see the movie. Movie was great too. They did a great job. My husband watched it with me and he had never read the book and really enjoyed the story. There is a lot to learn about the corruption of the churches back in those times and the power they had over the Kingdoms. This is a good love story, that also has plenty of action, tragedy and triumphs along the way. I recommend it to all my friends.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2010
well done to the Scott brothers indeed!!
Although I enjoyed the book (as is the usual way), I thought the movie reflected quite well life as it was in the historical context. No! I didn't live through it!! but first accounts I have encountered support K Follet's writings.
The cast was superbly chosen!! And, the tv addapted production was way more than I expected.
I enjoyed immensly and hope "World without end" will be next!!!
I recommend it to all the history buffs out there
ps: the cathedral doesn't actually exist fyi (I've checked lol)
cheersPillars of the Earth