4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars....but still one HOT element!!
This review is for the new "The Fifth Element:Ultimate Edition".
This new two disc set includes a wonderfully crisp transfer and an extra disc full of extras aimed to please.
Published on Jan. 31 2005 by Robert Badgley

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to To the Sixth Element
The fifth element is an action film, hosted by the great Bruce Willis. There are visuals in the Fifth Element that even to this day look terrific. Compare the Flying cars to the traffic in the backgrounds of Episode I. Lets first understand that The Fifth Element is a visual eye candy extravaganza. Not necessarily the best, but very imaginative. The story is also an...
Published on Feb. 26 2002 by Adam Hunnicutt

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars....but still one HOT element!!, Jan. 31 2005
Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is for the new "The Fifth Element:Ultimate Edition".
I recall viewing this movie on VHS when it first came out and I am amazed at the difference in picture and especialy sound quality.I recall on the tape having a devil of a time understanding what the shape shifting alien marauders-for-hire were saying,but in this edition I understand every syllable quite clearly.
This is a movie I never tire of even after repeated viewings.It's one of those films that the best thing you can do is just sit back and let IT do the driving.It's a wild space/earth/alien/armageddon/pure evil vs pure good high adrenaine romp that never lets up when it gets going.
Cab driver Dallas(Willis) is an ex special forces member who is suddenly thrust into becoming the ersatz guardian of Leeloo(Jovovich) the pictures' title.It's a race against time to make sure she accomplishes her mission.....to save earth.The back story and the colourful characters that we meet along the way propel the movie along without stopping for a breath.
The main drawback of this set,and it isn't exactly a minor one,is its' issuance ONLY in DTS.There is NO Dolby 5:1 surround or any other sound options available at all in the menu which is highly unusual, as opposed to any DVD I've encountered so far which usually has mulitple options thereof.So please be warned to make sure your DVD player is able to play DTS encoded audio,as some older models may not be able to.This is something I have to manually adjust to everytime I play it,which can be annoying.
In concluding if the only-in-DTS sound is a problem then you will want to give this set a by-pass,which is why I have given this set a three and half star rating when it should have been higher.
But if the sound is no obstacle I recommend you pick up this highly entertaining two disk set which is the only way to own this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun film, gorgeous blu-ray, uncompressed audio, Dec 29 2009
Cheryl - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The Fifth Element is a fun action film, comprised of vividly colourful and imaginative visuals which look fantastic on blu-ray. Thankfully, the audio is uncompressed (no excessively loud sound effects contrasted by super soft dialogue) - a feature I wish was noted in product description on all blu-rays. Also, as a bonus on this disc there is a sometimes-interesting trivia text track.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very cool movie, May 2 2004
Heather Heistand (WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fifth Element (DVD)
I LOVE this movie. A definite must-see. I watched this movie for the first time with an ex-boyfriend and I just loved the feeling it gave me. We were watching this movie about the meaning of love and happiness and why Earth should continue to exist...which is for love. It was recently on TV (3 years after I saw it with my boyfriend) and I was so excited that it was on I couldn't do anything else. This movie just always makes me feel so good about life and love...and myself. Definitely a movie that I could watch 100 times in a row and still want to watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent movie plus excellent background music too!, Jan. 18 2004
"The Fifth Element" is an astonishing achievement in science Fiction moviemaking that at least in my opinion, hasn't been seen in many years. 1997 wasn't the greatest year for movies in my opinion. There was the awful "Batman & Robin" and other forgettable films but "The Fifth Element" was and still is a groundbreaking movie that still succeeds in entertaining yet also meaningful. Perhaps there are more than four elements, even if the fifth isn't what the movie says it is.
The movie begins in Egypt in the year 1914. An English archaeologist is examining the mysteries behind the prophecy of a force of evil that converges every 5000 years and the key to defeating this evil is forgotten by almost all except for an elderly Egyptian priest. During the confrontation between the elderly Egyptian priest and the English archaeologist, a huge spacecraft lands right at the entrance to the pyramids to take four stones representing the four elements air, earth, fire and water to keep safe from the force of evil that is gaining strength. The extraterrestrial beings depart Earth with the stones and the priest has made his promise to fulfill his destiny and pass down his knowledge to his descendants. 345 years later, the priest himself has long since passed away but his descendant Vito Cornelius knows of the fifth element and where it is. The aliens who left Earth 345 years earlier return to the earth to bring the Fifth Element but the ship is attacked and crashes onto earth, killing all but one of the alien species.
On another note, a disgruntled cab driver named Korbin Dallas who drives a Taxi in New City in the year 2259 is having another miserable day after a really bad dream he had. Things though just get more and more aggravating until it culminates with a 'being' crashing through the roof of his cab. It turns out that the 'passenger' who crashed through the roof of his cab is the 'Divine Being', the one who can stop evil from destroying all forms of life on Earth. However, a traitorous arts designer named Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg is also after the four stones of the elements in order to gain more power. The evil is now approaching earth and time is running out for Korbin, Leeloo and crew to save Earth from total annihilation.
"The Fifth Element" ranks as among one of my favorite science-fiction movies of all time. The various shots of a futuristic New York City are just utterly amazing. It almost makes me wish that I could live for 400 more years just to tryout life in that time period. The special effects are also stunningly well done and not excessive.
Bruce Willis, who I remember the most through the "Die Hard" movie trilogy, is in fact at his best outside of the trilogy movies I just mentioned in "The Fifth Element". His character Korban Dallas comes off as being dramatic, disgruntled, and totally grumpy yet also funny and warm-hearted at the same time. Chris Tucker cuts both ways in my opinion. For years I thought that his character Rudy Rhod just simply ruined parts of the film with the annoying whining and scaredy-cat but today, I can appreciate him a lot more and is in fact, quite funny and great comic relief. I have no hard feelings against Rhod anymore. In fact, I think he's a riot. Ian Holm was really excellent playing the priest Vito Cornelius who is helping Leeloo, the 'Divine Being' destroy evil for good. Milla Jovovich is really good as the 'Fifth Element' humanoid Leeloo who speaks an ancient language and has the power to destroy this evil force. Then you got all of the horrifyingly ugly menacing alien goons assisting Zorg in his quest to steal the stones for his own will. The comedy, science-fiction, action, drama, all gel together incredibly well on this movie. Gary Oldman is just a riot playing the twisted and eccentric villain Zorg. Zorg is one of the funniest sci-fi bad guys that I've ever seen in movies. Even if Oldman doesn't necessarily play villains, he is great playing downright goofy menaces.
Of the many films that have come out during the latter half of the 1990s, "The Fifth Element" ranks as one of the best films of this time period and even ranks above "Independence Day". Some may compare this to Star Wars but as I watch this movie, I think that TFE is more related to "Stargate" because of it's darker and mix of ancient and futuristic sceneries. I could very well describe it as "Die Hard in intergalactic space". "The Fifth Element" may have been more aimed at audiences that are looking for just plain fun and while it does well at that, it also succeeds incredibly well as being an intelligent and stunning theatrical work of art that hasn't been rivaled since its release year in the sci-fi area. Apart from "Die Hard", "The Fifth Element" is Bruce Willis' best movie so far and I doubt it will be surpassed for many years to come. While some may question it is being overdone, I feel that this is among the greatest movies that uses tons and tons of special effects to an efficient degree. The DTS edition has absolutely AMAZING sound quality and is a vast improvement over the VHS edition from years ago and now almost sounds like as if you were in fact seeing it on the big screen again with its 5.1 surround audio quality. I've heard about some having problems with playing the "Superbit" edition on some DVD players but I've had no problems with playing it on my DVD player. Which ever way you look at it, "The Fifth Element" is one of the great movies that has ever been made and I highly recommend that one gets a hand on a copy of this movie especially the DTS edition. It is worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Superbit version!, Jan. 20 2003
Joe Vanderbilt (Irving, TX United States) - See all my reviews
First, I owned the original non-Superbit version and watched it on my 35" non-HDTV. I thought it was an excellent film with a little bit of something in there for everyone: action, adventure, romance, comedy. To this day, even after having watched it at least 50 times, the roach scene still makes me laugh.
The acting was excellent, too. Every one of the actors played their parts with character. Nobody overacted or got melodramatic, something I absolutely hate. They all stood out, they all made you feel something different, but they didn't overdo it. Gary Oldman, Ian Holm (and his apprentice), Milla Jovovich, they were all excellent. Bruce Willis, surprisingly, didn't overplay his tough-guy act, no doubt because Luc Besson held him on a leash the entire time. I see alot of complaints about Chris Rock's part, but I just took his bit for what it was: a talk show / variety host that has evolved over 300+ years to doing whatever is necessary to get ratings, which in this case means acting like a complete fool.
Later, I came to own a 73" HDTV, still using the non-Superbit version. My main gripe, not with this DVD but with my DVD collection in general - on a TV that size and with that detail, is that the mpeg compression artifacts suddenly start to become very obvious. They're fairly invisible on the 35" but are distractingly obvious now. The edges of colors tend to "bleed" into one another sometimes, too.
Finally, I watch the the Superbit version of Fifth Element. No more mpeg artifacts. Everything about this DVD looks better. I was expecting an improvement, but nothing like this. The whisps of steam coming from the ship in the opening scene, the off-in-the-distance detail of the chase scene in the city with the sparks coming off of Korben's taxi, the detail of the explosions on the cruise ship, etc etc etc. No mpeg artifacts at all there, artifacts that were clearly visible on the non-Superbit version.
There are, of course, no extras, but with a picture like this I don't care. I only wish every DVD could look this good. Sadly, it will probably be some time before they do since a) the detail of a Superbit version might be harder to see on a smaller TV which leads to b) instead a more detailed picture, most people want extras instead, so that's what the studios give them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Element: Sci Fi Classic Of 1997, June 7 2004
Rudy Avila "Saint Seiya" (Lennox, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
The 90's will be remembered fondly for its many special effects masterpieces of action/adventure such as this highly entertaining film starring Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovitch and Chris Tucker. About a year earlier, in 1996, the blockbuster Independence Day took the world by storm and made it big at the box office. This over-the-top sci-fi fantasy is at times bordering on comic book style or reminiscent of the hit Sci Fi channel cable show FarScape. It's composed of a lot of stunning visuals, special effects and a tongue-in-cheek script. Bruce Willis stars as Corbin Dallas, a taxi-cab driver in a futuristic New York City whose flying cars are still causing an immense amount of traffic. He happens to be caught in a great battle- the perfect woman, a god (Milla Jovovitch)must save Earth from destruction by the collision of another planet and from the devilish Zorg (Gary Oldman). Bruce Willis pairs up with the comedic Chris Tucker who plays a wild, comedic radio host who dresses mostly in drag but is a ladies' man. A lot of good scenes and comic writing. Corbin's mother seems to be constantly annoying him and nagging him. The scene in the space cruise in which an alien soprano diva entertains the audiences in the theatre is also superb. The diva sings the aria of the Mad Scene in Donizetti's Lucia Di Lammermoor and later begins to sing a pop/techno alien sort of remix. She was dubbed by the soprano Inva Mulla. This movie is becoming a sort of campy classic of science fiction from the 90's, and is not as serious-minded as Independence Day. But it's enjoyable cinema. On DVD, and particularily on this Superbit Collection, the sound is incredibly restored and the bonus features are worth viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Element (Blu-ray), Oct. 6 2009
Oh my my!!
What eye candy! This movie brings the old style adventure sci-fi pictures into an exciting modern version with of course better effects and what props! The scenes were absolutely gorgeous. The space liner had an astounding interior. Beson, is unbeatable when it comes to showing off his vision of antiquity in a modern setting. An absolute marvel. Let me not forget the acting, was way above board for everyone including the secondary rolls. Get this one because seeing it once is not enough. Whether blu-ray or standard DVD it's astounding. Antonio Di Donato.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Breathtaking, July 7 2010
What can I say. It is BluRay. Watching this movie with it's vivid colors and snappy action in Bluray played from a Pioneer player to a 60" Sharp LCD flat panel tv is simply breathtaking. Aside from the storyline, the playback is awesome. The movie is pretty good also. I am not a film critic, so all I can say is WOW to the picture quality, and "I liked it" to the movie. It has lots of action, lots of strange looking people, lots of quirks and a satisfactory ending. But the picture quality is fantastic. I have not yet watched it on my 100" screen, but will soon. I will get back to you on that.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FIFTH ELEMENT [1997] [Limited Edition Steelbook] [Blu-ray] [UK Release], Jan. 10 2015
Andrew C. Miller - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
THE FIFTH ELEMENT [1997] [Limited Edition Steelbook] [Blu-ray] [UK Release] Bruce Willis plays Korben Dallas, a New York cabbie who picks up the type of fare that only comes along once every 5,000 years. Leeloo [Milla Jovovich] isn’t just the perfect beauty; she’s also the perfect weapon. As planet Earth is about to be wiped out, the pair set off on a deadly mission to find a set of stones that represent the four elements and unite them with the fifth. But what is the Fifth Element? From Luc Besson the acclaimed director of ‘Leon’ and ‘Nikita’ comes a film that reinvents the sci-fi genre. ‘The Fifth Element’ takes you on an adrenaline-filled journey to a new dimension of sumptuous visuals and spectacular explosions.

FILM FACT: 1998 Academy Awards® Nominated: Best Sound Editing (Mark Mangini). 1997 British Academy of Film and Television Arts Won: Best Special Visual Effects (Mark Mangini). 1997 Cannes Film Festival Won: Technical Grand Prize (Thierry Arbogast). 1997 European Film Awards Nominated: Film of the Year (Patrice Ledoux). 1997 Lumières Award Won: Best Director (Luc Besson).

Cast: Actors: Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovich, Ian Holm, Chris Tucker, Charlie Creed-Miles, Brion James, Tricky, Tommy 'Tiny' Lister Jr., Christopher Fairbank, Lee Evans, John Bluthal, Luke Perry, John Bennett, Kim Chan, John Neville, Al Matthews, Charlie Creed-Miles and Maïwenn Le Besco

Director: Luc Besson

Running Time: 126 minutes

Region: Region B/2

Number of discs: 1

Studio: Gaumont Pathé / 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Andrew’s Blu-ray Review: ‘The Fifth Element’ [1997] [Limited Edition SteelBook] [Blu-ray] release comes courtesy of Gaumont Pathé and it is loaded with extra features. In fact, the sharp eyed among you will recognise these extras are from the 2-disc Special Edition DVD release that was released previously. But the film does start with the Gaumont Pathé logo.

"Leeloo Dallas Mooltipass" are three words that will invariably put a grin on my face. ‘The Fifth Element’ has been the ultimate sci-fi guilty pleasure for me. Luc Besson's crazy Technicolor future world is the perfect antidote to years of dark and gloomy sci-fi visions, those post-apocalyptic doom laden works of speculative art that insist that humanity is doomed to wallow in its own self-destructive excrescence. ‘The Fifth Element’ is a future with pep, with joy, with boundless and indeed idiotic optimism. I love it.

Sometimes, a film come along that you think is peerless, that can never be matched or surpassed. It's not this one and I'm talking about ‘Blade Runner.’ ‘Blade Runner’ managed in one film to define a view of a world with outstanding design, brilliant music, top-notch direction, brilliant performances and a gripping story. What ‘The Fifth Element’ has done is come within a hair's width of matching the freshness and originality of ‘Blade Runner.’

Every 5000 years, the ultimate evil returns in an attempt to destroy life. To combat this threat, there is an ultimate weapon, the perfect being, the fifth element, which in conjunction with the 4 known elements, Earth, Air, Fire and Water can defeat the evil. In 1914 Egypt, with the threat of war engulfing the world, the alien Mondoshawan came to retrieve the weapon, so it could be kept safe for future generations. In the 23rd Century, the evil returns and the weapon must return to Earth to be used to save the world. However the Mondoshawan ship returning the weapon is attacked by Managalore mercenaries and is destroyed. Retrieving what remains of the weapon, scientists use surviving cells to resurrect the weapon in the form of Leeloo, played by Milla Jovovich. She escapes from the lab and the military and dives into the cab of Korben Dallas, a retired soldier played by Bruce Willis. She asks his help in evading the authorities and in delivering her to the monk, Cornelius [Ian Holm] Cornelius' order has been tasked down the ages with preserving the knowledge of the ultimate evil and the fifth element. With the ultimate evil, a flaming ball of energy, thousands of miles across heading for Earth, Leeloo, Korben and Cornelius must recover the stones that represent the four elements so the weapon can be used. Trying to defeat them and further the cause of evil is the head of Zorg industries, Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg played by Gary Oldman and his Mangalore mercenaries.

‘The Fifth Element’ is a combination of hyper-reality and grit summons ‘Blade Runner’ to mind, and we all remember how that did at the box-office when it was first released. The big difference between ‘The Fifth Element’ and ‘Blade Runner’ is that Blade Runner is at night with smoke and rain and darkness and sometimes it is hard for the audience to take it all in, as this is noon, you don’t see one car, you see four hundred, you can see everything! Though the film is now perhaps best-known for its design and cinematography, one should not let these appearances overshadow the film’s presentation of the picture of Good and Evil in the human condition. This picture is personified through the human characters and their endeavours toward creation and destruction. Cornelius represents which is good, as his goal is to create a world of peace, whereas Zorg epitomises evil in his quest to destroy life: By creating a little destruction, he is actually encouraging life! While these two characters show the apparent extremes of Good and Evil, Leeloo wonders why she should even bother saving the human race, as she begins to believe that, collectively, Earthlings may be more Evil than Good, and could end up destroying each other. However, through Dallas’s love, she is convinced that one should be optimistic and have hope that the human race can overcome the evil in themselves and become better beings.

‘The Fifth Element’ is a science-fiction film with a huge sense of humour, like ‘Mars Attack’ before it. The French director Luc Besson, has already made a lot of this kind of film before, with a mix a lot of action, humour and love (‘Taxi,’ ‘Nikita’ or ‘Leon,’ in which the bad guy is also interpreted by Gary Oldman. ‘The Fifth Element’ is not an exception, and the scheme stays the same: beautiful girl in trouble, a common guy ready to fight in order to impress the girl and to save the world, a love story, and a great evil threatening the world (named The Great Evil).

At the beginning of the film, the aspect is shown by two key elements: the Aliens and the Priest. The two are collaborating together, and they are gathering around one thing, the Fifth Element. In fact, the entire film is about the duality between old and new, even in the structure of the film. Indeed, the first part occurs in 1914, in the past, and the second part in 2263, in the future. Moreover, there is a kind of a myth about the five elements. When the president discovers the story, it’s the priest Cornellius who teaches him the legend of the ultimate weapon, opening as old book with old draws. It’s presented as a myth, as the way eclipses were presented long ago for example.

Finally, I would like to say that the story itself is an element of this duality: saving the new world, with old technology. We can also add some references to religions, the perfection of Leeloo born from the hand of the fifth element and Eve born from a bone from Adam, and the Great Evil, or even the love story between the brave man and the innocent woman, which can be considered now as a kind of an old cliché. All these aspects show us what Luc Besson wanted for this film: a succession of sci-fi cliché that everyone can notice. But he uses them in one purpose: make us laugh. Indeed, it is the funny way he directed the technology (the voice in the cab and the barman in the airport for example) and the script related to technology (“Leeloo Dallas’ multipass”, “she’s perfect”, Ruby’s shows…) that transform this film in a funny one more than a typical science fiction one. I think the main reason that this film was not so successful, especially in the United States, because of this new funny vision of the entire technology, it is difficult to identify yourself to one of the character in this universe we don’t believe in, compared to other realistic vision in sci-fi movie (Minority Report, 2001…). But it’s not the purpose of the film, showing us a funny coloured and fashioned world. It‘s was aspect that makes it a particular film, unique and entertaining.

Blu-ray Video Quality – The Gaumont Pathé logo is indicative. This release of ‘The Fifth Element’ looks as if it was re-mastered from the same print as the original Region 2 DVD. Certainly it has that same speck of dirt on the print over the establishing shot of the 1914 archaeological dig. But the source print is all that it has in common with the DVDs, what it does with the source is completely different. Having said that, I feel that I have been spoilt by the few Blu-rays that I have seen so far, mostly of recent films, and I was expecting something just as spectacular when it comes to clarity and definition from ‘The Fifth Element.’ The 1080p encode image with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio widescreen image is still light years beyond the DVD transfer; it does have that 3D eye popping experience that you would expect from high definition images. I was thrilled at spotting things that I missed on DVD, the beads of sweat on the priest's forehead, the crumpled linen of the Professor's jacket. In terms of colour, clarity and definition, this is a wholly different beast to the DVD. That said, it never reaches the pin-sharp definition of modern releases, there is an overall softness to the image, perhaps by design, perhaps to mask the limits of the special effects technology of the period. It's subtle and it's inoffensive. It also still has issues either end of the brightness scale, with the brighter whites popping a little too much, and detail crushed in the darker scenes. There's hardly any detail at all in the opening shot with the Mondoshawan ship arriving at Earth, while the white clothing that the children wear does overpower the scene at the start. The image quality of the high definition release may lack the pixel perfection of a reference quality Blu-ray disc, but it's good enough, especially now that they have the colour balance right.

Blu-ray Audio Quality – There are no such concerns with the audio, which comes with the option of a full-throated 5.1 HD-DTS Master Audio track or the 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. There are optional English subtitles if you require them. Note, to get the full-throated 5.1 HD-DTS Master Audio the disc does default to the lesser Dolby Digital track though. I'm not as much an audiophile, as I am a visual nit-picker, but for me the requirements of enveloping surround, clear dialogue, vibrant action sequences, and resonant music were all met. It's a rich and lush future world that Luc Besson creates, and that richness is wonderfully represented by the film's sound design. Eric Serra's music is a magnificent accompaniment to the story.

Blu-ray Special Supplements and Extras: Some things are new on this disc, the newly transferred high definition film most obviously, and the animated menus. But the rest of the extras are inherited from the 2-disc special edition DVD, so you won't be surprised at the prevalence of Standard content. It should be noted that the extras are all in standard definition and at times of debatable picture quality.

Audio Commentary: Mark Stetson, Karen E. Goulekas, Bill Neil, and Ron Gress, they talk about the effects work they did on the film. That alone would be pretty dry, but they do have a great deal of fun watching the film and have some entertaining observations and anecdotes as well. Although it isn't the most exciting commentary I've ever listened to, there is enough information here to keep special effects enthusiasts happy, as well as enough antecdotes about filming and things that happened on set to keep everyone else listening. There are a couple of minor quiet moments, but they do well to keep things moving.

Documentary: Discovering The Fifth Element [48:00] The largest and most useful feature is the retrospective documentary. It's a nice look at the production process, from script to release, with input from the cast and crew. It is also an in-depth look at how the project got started and many of the concepts used. It uses plenty of behind-the-scenes footage interspersed with interviews of various members of the cast and crew. We also get to see some of the concept art, hear details of the prosthetics used and how/why Luc Besson got Bruce Willis on board. It's more than your average Hollywood style documentaries and well worth a watch.

Feature: Imagining The Fifth Element [5:13] Is a quick look at the world and look of The Fifth Element and features interviews with various members of the special effects crew. It's an interesting little featurette for those interested in the process of coming up with the look of a film and the general set designs. It came out just as silicone gel for creatures started to make a splash and we also hear a little about the mix between animatronics and CGI.

Feature: The Art of Jean-Claude Mézières [5:30] Is an interview with Jean-Claude Mézières, who drew the concept art and ultimately designed the infamous police cars and the taxi. He talks about his ideas behind the city landscapes, making a vision of a busy futuristic city whilst maintaining a little of the current architecture.

Feature: An Audience with Diva Plavalaguna [5:13] Is a closer look at the design and thoughts behind making a singling alien diva. As is an on-going theme with these featurettes, we get to see concept art of Diva, and get some interview snippets with the creature designer and a couple of other crew members. The costume was made using foam latex and it was filmed using what producer Patrice Ledoux calls a 'real opera team' and computer trickery to hit the high notes.

Feature: Elements of Style [5:12] is a closer look at the costume design by the highly annoying, yet obviously talented, Jean-Paul Gaultier. Milla Jovavich's clothing in the film has become instantly recognisable and there isn't a fancy-dress party I have been to where some lass dresses up as her character. For this, I thank him immensely.

MTV Cannes Premiere [47:00] This is a total nonsense worth of absolute air-headed nonsense. The M in MTV must stand for morons, as it's a show that must be for the soft of thinking air heads, which is essentially a long fluff piece aimed more at those with a wondering attention span. Vapid presenters ask inane questions to intelligent people who are contractually obliged to answer with a degree of wit, rather than tell them where to stick their microphones. We get red carpet footage from afar, poorly narrated by John Amies, but we also get some good interviews with the main stars and other names such as Mike Leigh, Julie Delpy and Greta Scacchi. Worth a look as such, but this is of the lower quality output and of less interest than the rest of the extras on the disc. It is worth checking out 90's fashion at its worse on the red carpet though, and old relationships that are no more such as Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. There is about 10 minutes of this, plus 5 minutes of poor Milla Jovovich having to adopt the MTV frame of mind, a whole lot of clips from the film, and half an hour of a Neneh Cherry concert. The things they stick on this Blu-ray to justify calling it a Special Edition! Unfortunately for some of the thicker French accents, there are no subtitles.

Trailers: The extras end with a selection of trailers and TV spots: Theatrical trailer [1:34]. Teaser trailer [1:26]. 5 TV spots: Adventure [0:32]; Race [0:32]; Summer [0:22]; Sidekick [0:21] and It Must be Found [1:35].

Finally, United Kingdom fans of ‘The Fifth Element’ who is Blu-ray capable, should not hesitate 100% purchasing this stunning Limited Edition SteelBook. You shouldn't even think about it and definitely make sure you have this Blu-ray disc in your possession by the end of the day. It has a few minor issues to be sure, it isn't the spectacular eruption of audio-visual perfection that some Blu-ray transfers can offer, but it is a spectacular improvement over the previous lack lustre Region 2 DVD releases. Compared to those lack lustre discs, it will be like watching the film for the first time all over again. The odd thing is that now, ten years on, I find Chris Tucker in this particular film a very annoying. So all in all I am so proud to have this added to my ever increasing Blu-ray Collection and this UK Limited Edition SteelBook is so beautiful, especially the raised embossed image. Highly Recommended!

Andrew C. Miller – Your Ultimate No.1 Film Fan
Le Cinema Paradiso
WARE, United Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent production quality, May 23 2013
Sunshine gal (smithers, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Looks and sounds spectacular in Blu-ray. Great production quality, only wish they had extras or blooper reel, because it must of been a fun movie to make

Fifth Element [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) [Import]
Fifth Element [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) [Import] by Luc Besson (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 34.05 CDN$ 33.17