countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on April 4, 2016
I waited on publishing my review because I wanted to use it for awhile. The first thing I noticed was that the selling feature of having a glass holder for the grounds so that they don't get static is bogus - the grounds go everywhere and get just as much static as plastic would. Also, I'm surprised they use a clear bean hopper since anyone who knows anything about coffee storage knows they should be kept away from light/heat to maximize the beans' life.
After using this product for just over 6 months it broke. The machine started making a different noise and I noticed that even though it was grinding the beans, no grounds were coming out the bottom. I took it apart to clean it/inspect it and still nothing. It is a disappointment and a waste of money.
on June 2, 2012
I've had this grinder for about a month, using 2-3 times a day, and so far so good. In the past, I've had a Krups (twice) and a Cuisinart, and all stopped grinding within a year. Fingers crossed the Bodum will last, but at least this one seems to make it easier to get at the grinding mechanism to clean it - which I suspect was the problem with the others.

The Bodum is definitely quieter than the others, it takes up less counter space, and is more attractive. The container for the grounds is easy to whip in and out, and I LOVE that they've solved te static problem! Also like the air tight lid to keep the beans fresh. And the fact that there's no mess. If there are any grounds on my counter after use, it's because I was sloppy.

Overall, it's obvious that a lot of thought went into its design and if it keeps working, I'll be thrilled!

My only negative comment is that after a couple of weeks, it stopped grinding for the full 15-20 seconds (or whatever I had it set on), and now only grinds for a few seconds at a time. I have to push the little top button a few times to get as much as I need, almost like the pulse button on a blender. I don't mind doing this, but hope it's not a sign that it's going to stop altogether.
on June 6, 2016
I'm enjoying using this grinder. It's sleek, efficient and relatively quiet. The glass container does seem to help with static, but doesn't entirely eliminate it. Grind consistency seems to be very good.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 24, 2010
I bought this grinder after researching for quite sometime. I had narrowed it down to the capresso infinity 56x series and the bistro. The bistro was chosen because of the promise of static free grinding due to its glass jar.

The unit does indeed grind with minimal static. The bistro is not static free (it is almost static free). It does not produce the messes of previous grinders. No ground coffee jumps out of the receptacle after grinding. The grinding receptacle is not slippery. It is easy to hold and feels secure and sturdy.

The grinder has a low pitched sound while grinding. Although still relatively noisy, it does not produce an irritating high pitched noise (think low cost blade grinders) and as a result is more pleasant to use than many grinders.

The burrs appear to be made of steel/stainless-steel. They are easily accessed for cleaning by twisting the conical bean resevoir.

I grind oily Starbucks french roast beans for espresso with the bistro. They are ground fine and very even. The ground coffee has a fluffy texture when collected from the receptacle. I get no sand/grit in my espresso. I have made espresso with a good tamping and the fine grind that can nearly choke my espresso machine.

I would happily recommend this grinder to anyone that needs a decent grinder but doesn't want to spend greater than $150.

Happy grinding.
on May 1, 2011
I have been using this Bodum grinder daily now for two weeks.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the purchase as it was an upgrade from using a blade-grinder/pre-ground coffee. The price is very competitive. I was considering spending more for the pricier models but in hindsight, I feel the beans I use (just regular starbucks beans), likely wouldn't make a difference.

In terms of the pros:
- Great colors. Looks great in the kitchen
- Burr grinding: the ground beans are of very good consistency. I make my coffee using a french press (Bodum New Brazil 8-Cup French Press) and every cup has been excellent
- Glass grounds container: there is still static and the grinds do hang off the sides, but it's nothing a nice tap doesn't fix
- Timer: love having the timer. It took some trial and error and some wasted beans, but now I have it timed exactly so that it grinds just the right amount of beans for a cup

Some of the minor cons:
- There will still be some static electricity. But it's no big deal
- The funnel for the beans could've been slightly better designed. I've noticed beans something getting stuck in the funnel, and thus the amount grinded is reduced
- Yes, the machine will take a break after 20seconds of grinding. Since I'm not making a liter of coffee for myself every morning, this is a non-issue.

UPDATE (Jun 28/11):

I have now been using this grinder daily for the past two months. A few pounds of beans have traversed through the burr grinder. I make a French press coffee almost exclusively. The grinder has performed well - one minor issue has been using oily beans, which have a tendency to get caught on the sidewalls of the hopper instead of falling into the grinder. A good tap during the grinding ensures the beans fall in consistently. Otherwise, the machine has performed without issue.

My only concern at this time is how well the grinder will work for espresso. I am in the market for an espresso machine and I hope this grinder will be up to the task. I will update this review according.

I still stand by my score of 4/5.
on January 12, 2011
I just received this in the mail yesterday... it was in stock, and Amazon delivered it blazingly fast.

The primary purpose for this grinder is for my Espresso machine. I bought a Black & Decker burr grinder before and learned first-hand that cheaper burrs won't grind espresso-grade (the B&D ground Foldgers-grade at it's finest), even though they say they will. Even for the price for this Bodum, I was a bit reticent, but decided to try it, given that my perception of Bodum's quality (I have a French Press, *yay*) was pretty high. My original intention was to save up a few hundred to get a more 'industrial' one.

Overall, this unit grinds a very fine espresso and I am extremely happy with it. I do recommend this to anyone who wants to stop buying pre-ground beans for their home espresso machine. If you are planning on pre-grinding a bunch of beans ahead of time, this unit may not be for you, but if you want to grind immediately before you brew, then I'd give this one a try.

You will find that the 10 second preset will give you enough consistently ground bean to fill and brew a double.

The lime-green colour is pretty funky, and is similar to the Le Creuset lime green... definitely wouldn't want to buy everything in this colour, but it does give some good contast to my kitchen. The colour also makes it easier to clean grounds off the unit which appeals to my clean-freak tendencies. :-)
on July 27, 2016
Bought this model based on reviews after our 10+ year old Cuisinart burr grinder bit the dust.

So far, I've only brewed a couple of pots, but I'm impressed with the consistency of the grind. Regular grind for filter coffee is even and coarse grind for french press coffee is all coarse. There's little fine powder that end up in the dregs of the Bodum pot.

I like the glass receptacle. Plastic receptacles get static cling and the finer grinds have to be scraped out. Conversely, it is easy to empty out the glass container.

On the downside, figuring out quantities takes a bit of trial and error. The settings are for time, not quantity, so we have to figure out for each grind setting how much coffee we need.
on November 18, 2015
I have to do a lot more steps with this grinder than with my previous one. There is a On/Off switch on the side that seems to be useless, as you still need to press another button on top to get it started. I was attracted to this product for its "Borosilicate glass catcher that reduces static", well is does NOT reduce static at all, when you do an espresso grind it really sticks to the jar. Another problem with the jar is that it has a plastic cover with a hole in the middle that needs to be on to prevent the grinds from flying when doing the actual grinding and it needs to be off to pour the grinds out. Because of the static and the shape of the jar it has been impossible to transfer the grinds to my portafilter without making a mess. That alone makes me regret my purchase every morning. Another let down it the color; I bought it in red the match all my other red appliances but the coloring of this machine is a "faded" red which does not match with anything, get the black one. The only saving grace of this grinder is that it can do a proper grind for my little espresso machine, I'm using a pressurized portafilter. The whole bean container can be easily taken off to access the metal burr. I would have sent it back but the box had been destroyed already.
on May 28, 2016
So far this has exceeded my expectations. The use of a glass jar reduces the static significantly. I used to have to clean us static "spray" about every second or third day. With this one not even once a week. As others have noted it is noisy - but I've never used one that wasn't and this is no worse than any other.

The whole thing is very nicely designed. The lid for the hopper and the ground coffee catcher are well thought out and fit well. Exit for the ground beans into the catcher is vertical so there is no 90 degree angle, that most other medium cost grinders have, for grinds to get caught up in. The timer is well placed and easy to set. Performance is very consistent - far more so than previous grinders I have owned. With this one, once I found the time and grind settings I needed it became just a question of pushing the button each day - very consistent. If I have a tiny complaint it is that for a full jug of coffee I have to grind twice because the timer can't be set for a long enough time to do it all in one go. Luckily it still fits in the catch jar and pressing the start button twice isn't exactly arduous.

Recommended.
on December 11, 2011
This is an affordable grinder that works! I've gone through several, only to be disappointed by each one. The Bodum grinder is so much quieter and faster than previous grinder purchases, and the grounds are nicely uniform. I find the static problem to be almost non-existent with this unit. A fine burr grinder indeed! Highly recommended.