5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance to price ratio.
I bought this grinder after researching for quite sometime. I had narrowed it down to the capresso infinity 56x series and the bistro. The bistro was chosen because of the promise of static free grinding due to its glass jar.

Published on Dec 24 2010 by Allan

3.0 out of 5 stars Bodum Bistro Grinder
Published on Jan. 31 2012 by KW

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance to price ratio., Dec 24 2010
Allan (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)

The unit does indeed grind with minimal static. The bistro is not static free (it is almost static free). It does not produce the messes of previous grinders. No ground coffee jumps out of the receptacle after grinding. The grinding receptacle is not slippery. It is easy to hold and feels secure and sturdy.

The grinder has a low pitched sound while grinding. Although still relatively noisy, it does not produce an irritating high pitched noise (think low cost blade grinders) and as a result is more pleasant to use than many grinders.

The burrs appear to be made of steel/stainless-steel. They are easily accessed for cleaning by twisting the conical bean resevoir.

I grind oily Starbucks french roast beans for espresso with the bistro. They are ground fine and very even. The ground coffee has a fluffy texture when collected from the receptacle. I get no sand/grit in my espresso. I have made espresso with a good tamping and the fine grind that can nearly choke my espresso machine.

I would happily recommend this grinder to anyone that needs a decent grinder but doesn't want to spend greater than $150.

Happy grinding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Dec 11 2011
Ellen M. Riggins (Dryden, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
This is an affordable grinder that works! I've gone through several, only to be disappointed by each one. The Bodum grinder is so much quieter and faster than previous grinder purchases, and the grounds are nicely uniform. I find the static problem to be almost non-existent with this unit. A fine burr grinder indeed! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Feb. 10 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
Having coffee in the hopper is great in the morning, and all you have to do is switch the grinder on and press the start button. The 20 second grind time suites my wife and I four "mugs" of coffee.

4.0 out of 5 stars One annoyance short of five stars, Oct. 19 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
Grinds fine and consistent, quieter than some of the other grinders I've used, and the anti static collection container is great. Build quality seems top notch and it even looks reasonably nice sitting on the counter. My first Bodum product and pretty happy with it, the company seems reasonable and even offer replacement parts right on the website so if you drop the glass you're not out of luck.

My only complaint, and this probably stems from the nature of the design and saving costs, is that you can't adjust the grind setting while there are beans in the hopper. I go back and forth between french press for multiple cups and aero press for my morning fix, and they're basically opposite ends of the spectrum. It's a bit of a pain when I'm running late, but otherwise it's a tolerable nuisance.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent little grinder, Feb. 12 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
This is definately a great grinder for the money. I am a coffee lover, use a french press, and this thing grinds my coffee perfectly every time. Love the timer, it's so easy to adjust for different amounts, after 2 or 3 uses I know the setting I need for each amount of coffee I need to make. Perfect little grinder!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for French press coffee, Dec 3 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
I've got this grinder since a month now and I love it. I use it almost every morning for my French Press coffee.
At first, I was making my French press coffee with pre-ground beans. Then I grinded my beans with my roommate's blade grinder. It was much better, yes, but the uneven size of the grains (the filtration/pressing was leaking to powdery residues) made me buy the Bodum Bistro. It makes such a HUGE difference to have a a good burr grinder!
Pros : small, beautiful, makes excellent coffee and the even-sized grains makes the filtration/pressing perfect (no leak)
Cons : noisy (more than a blade grinder, I don't know compared to other burr grinders), more expensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bodum Bistro Grinder, Jan. 31 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
After having done some research I decided to buy this Bodum grinder. It is a stylish good looking grinder and works pretty fast too. I use the grinder mostly for on the coffee press setting. It seems that it is still to fine for at its coarsest setting. When comparing this to coffee bought from professional coffee grinders there is a big difference. I'm a bit disappointed that even in its coarsest setting it is still to fine for the coffee press, seeing that's what I use it most for. I did contemplate sending it back but after having used it a bit, I'm not sure if it still is returnable. Other than that, it works very well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible consistency, April 19 2013
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
For anyone looking for a grinder for French press coffee, this one is not for you. The more coarse you go, the more inconsistent the grind gets. For French press coffee to be brewed correctly, you need an extremely consistent grind in order for the coffee to extract evenly. You will end up with a bitter flavoured coffee. Sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Coffee Grinder, Jan. 1 2013
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
Grinds coffee well. They advertised that there would be no static electricity to cause a mess. Not specifically true. Do a little grinding and maybe. Do a lot and it develops a charge and makes a mess. Still, a good reliable grinder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, June 6 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
I originally purchased one of these for my wife and I, then one for her parents for Christmas and when my folks saw it and tasted my coffee (made with an AeroPress, which I also HIGHLY recommend) they not so subtly hinted that both my Dad's birthday and Mother's Day were coming up! All reports from both parents are that they love the grinder and the taste of their coffee.

Sure there are better conical burr grinders out there for around $200 and up but for under $100 (and I've seen them on sale for closer to $60 at rare times, which is phenomenal), I haven't seen anything that beats them.

It has a nice even and adjustable grind, is relatively quiet (for a grinder) and the glass grind container is nice and static free. If you have a finicky espresso machine that requires an ultra-fine grind or something, you may have to look elsewhere/spend more money. For anyone using drip, french press or the HIGHLY recommended AeroPress (seriously, I LOVE that thing) or less finicky espresso machines, this machine does a fine job at a ridiculous value.

I gave it four stars largely because it's "merely" as good as I expected it to be and I don't give five stars to anything unless it goes above and beyond/is simply amazing and sadly, it does not give shoulder rubs. There's also the small issue of it not working with all espresso machines which might be an issue for some.

Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black