march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Color: Black|Change

on April 1, 2011
I bought this coffee grinder based on others reviews and am very glad I did. It is quick, quiet and very easy to use. One great thing about it is the coffee doesn't have the static to it as I've found in others.
on August 17, 2011
Probably the best value in a coffee grinder priced under $500. Fast, quiet, uniform grind, hardly any static cling, what more could one ask? Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black
on June 30, 2011
Il ne fait pas de statique, mais le café tombe un peu sous le pot de verre quand on l'enlève. Du café semble rester pris dans la chute, ce qui fait que l'endroit où on insère le pot en verre doit être régulièrement nettoyé, mais ça ne paraît pas trop quand on le remet en place.

Le bouton on/off en bas ne sert pas vraiment. Il est toujours à ON, et ça me fatigue de voir la petite lumière allumée.

Le dessus plat permet d'y déposer la cuillère à café.
on November 18, 2015
I have to do a lot more steps with this grinder than with my previous one. There is a On/Off switch on the side that seems to be useless, as you still need to press another button on top to get it started. I was attracted to this product for its "Borosilicate glass catcher that reduces static", well is does NOT reduce static at all, when you do an espresso grind it really sticks to the jar. Another problem with the jar is that it has a plastic cover with a hole in the middle that needs to be on to prevent the grinds from flying when doing the actual grinding and it needs to be off to pour the grinds out. Because of the static and the shape of the jar it has been impossible to transfer the grinds to my portafilter without making a mess. That alone makes me regret my purchase every morning. Another let down it the color; I bought it in red the match all my other red appliances but the coloring of this machine is a "faded" red which does not match with anything, get the black one. The only saving grace of this grinder is that it can do a proper grind for my little espresso machine, I'm using a pressurized portafilter. The whole bean container can be easily taken off to access the metal burr. I would have sent it back but the box had been destroyed already.
on December 17, 2014
This grinder is ok if you own a pressurized espresso machine or a coffee press. It is my second one within 2-3 years. The first one got broken by a tiny stone even if there is some mechanism supposed to avoid this trouble. I inquired and Bodum was not going to replace or fix the machine even if it had around one year (even less) usage. I opened it and found one plastic gear totally destroyed. I contacted Bodum again to get the part and I was told that it was impossible and that I needed to bring it to a Bodum repair shop and pay for the repair or purchase a new one. So, I purchased a second one. From now on, I always make sure there is no stones in the beans.
The second machine worked ok for about one month when one day it was not turning on. I found out that by resetting the main power switch many times on/off it did its job. Whenever I would turn off the main switch it did not work the next day unless I would flip the power switch on/off many times. So, by leaving it ON all the time it was working but when there was a power failure I had to reset that switch to make it work.
I contacted Bodum again and I was told that I needed to get it repaired by an approved service man and that they might pay for the repair possibly if it was fixable.
So I decided to keep it as it was, leaving it on constantly.
About 18 months after the purchase it started to act worse; it would now start but stop immediately after a couple of seconds and not restart. Now I need to reset that main switch 20-30 times and even bang the machine hoping to get it going. That is not a good sign.
I contacted Bodum for the third time this morning and I am waiting for their response but I am not hoping for the best. I explained all this and I asked for a replacement grinder saying it had a manufacturing defect. I do not expect much from them. Good service does not seem to be the company policy.
I also would like to note that the retail price on the company site is 110$, not 160$.
This grinder can be purchased in USA for around 80-90$ on special.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 7, 2014
This grinder started out great. It was quiet, it ground very fine. Even a pebble in some coffee brought back from Jamaica didn't hinder it. Then suddenly it started acting up. I couldn't get it to grind fine even at the finest setting. A couple of times, I was able to "restore" the fine grind, by taking the hopper out and simply putting it back on. But now that trick has stopped working. So I can no longer get fine grind. It's also a very messy grinder with static all over the place and fines that fly out all over the floor and counter. I realize some of this is dependent on the coffee itself, but as a general rule, all coffees seem to become static-y in this grinder. I love the look. I love the quiet grind. But I've just purchased a new grinder to replace this one.

Update: When I cleaned the grinder and sold it, the person I sold it to was happy with it. It is critical to keep this grinder clean for it to get a fine grind. the manual I had didn't explain how to clean the grinder, but I searched on the web and found some instructions. I still say it was a bit fiddly to get a fine grind compared to my new grinder.

Do not buy this grinder at this price ($187). I purchased it in a coffee store in town for $90.
on April 22, 2014
I’ve had 2 burr type coffee grinders before this particular model: the Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill (which wore out after about a year and a half) and a Black & Decker CBM210C Stainless Steel Burr Mill (which was an absolute piece of crap I wouldn’t recommend to anyone). In between those grinders, I’ve used a blade grinder which generally worked fine for my wife and I – we like our coffee, but we’re not elitist to the point where we wouldn’t use a blade grinder every once in a while. However, after the blade grinder gave up the ghost, we were in the market for another grinder. This particular grinder was on sale and I decided to take the plunge. I’ve used it consistently for the last week, and I have to say that this is the best coffee grinder I’ve ever had.

The control over the grind quality is fantastic, and when it states that it can grind from a French press to espresso, it’s absolutely true. The timer on the grinder makes it super easy to grind exactly the amount of coffee you need and, after a few days, I was able to find the exact amount of time that suits our tastes. Since the receptacle for the coffee grounds is made out of glass, it minimizes the amount of static electricity trapped in the container (there’s still a little bit, but compared to the plastic container in the Cuisinart grinder, it’s next to nothing).

So for the only thing I can’t comment about is the durability of the machine, but so far I’m incredibly impressed. Wonderful product which is definitely worth the money.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 4, 2014
This grinder started off great but slowly day after day it started to grind less. To make things worse you have to wait at least 5 minutes between every grind because the manual states that the motor will overheat and break.
So you grind, turn it off, set a timer and wait. One morning the smell of electrical burning arose from the grinder so I turned it off immediately and contacted Bodum. That was almost two months ago and I still have the broken grinder.
They keep saying they will get back to me. My last communication was early December. I was told:

"I have received your information. We process claims within 7-10 business day.
At the moment we have delays due to our holidays."

I guess they have long holidays at Bodum since it is not January and I have not heard from them.

I will not buy Bodum again since to me customer service is important. I have rated this item to reflect that.
If you buy this product and it works then count yourself lucky you don't have to deal with Bodum.
It did grind well for the first little while but the limited grind time and the motor cool down time do not impress me.

A few days after posting my review a replacement grinder arrived via courier. I will test the replacement soon and post the results, but still zero communication from the company.

update:The new grinder is still working good so I will up my review to 4 stars (still minus 1 star for the 5 minute delay and poor communications from the company, but they did eventually replace the product).
I hope that anyone who orders this grinder does not have problems with it.
on June 6, 2012
I originally purchased one of these for my wife and I, then one for her parents for Christmas and when my folks saw it and tasted my coffee (made with an AeroPress, which I also HIGHLY recommend) they not so subtly hinted that both my Dad's birthday and Mother's Day were coming up! All reports from both parents are that they love the grinder and the taste of their coffee.

Sure there are better conical burr grinders out there for around $200 and up but for under $100 (and I've seen them on sale for closer to $60 at rare times, which is phenomenal), I haven't seen anything that beats them.

It has a nice even and adjustable grind, is relatively quiet (for a grinder) and the glass grind container is nice and static free. If you have a finicky espresso machine that requires an ultra-fine grind or something, you may have to look elsewhere/spend more money. For anyone using drip, french press or the HIGHLY recommended AeroPress (seriously, I LOVE that thing) or less finicky espresso machines, this machine does a fine job at a ridiculous value.

I gave it four stars largely because it's "merely" as good as I expected it to be and I don't give five stars to anything unless it goes above and beyond/is simply amazing and sadly, it does not give shoulder rubs. There's also the small issue of it not working with all espresso machines which might be an issue for some.
on February 23, 2012
I bought this as a companion for my Bodum French Press. I am a happy camper. It makes perfect grind every time, is reasonably quiet, looks funky in a usual Danish way, and I was able to take another step toward being a coffee snob for under $100.

Only caveat is the 20 second timer. It makes enough grind for an "8-10 cup" french press(3-4 mugs in north america). Then you are supposed to let it cool down for five minutes. So this is a "couples" grinder, not for a family and certainly not for entertaining or coffee house duty. THAT SAID, read on...

After owning this grinder for almost two years, it is my experience that the five minute "cool down" after 20 seconds of grinding is not a deal breaker after all. I regularly run the machine a second and third cycle with only a minute of rest and the motor has suffered no ill effect. My wife didn't even know about this and apparently has cycled the daylights out of it a few times while filling a small tupperware with grid! If this unit ever did fail, I'd buy another.