5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance to price ratio.
I bought this grinder after researching for quite sometime. I had narrowed it down to the capresso infinity 56x series and the bistro. The bistro was chosen because of the promise of static free grinding due to its glass jar.

Published on Dec 24 2010 by Allan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little grinder, but messy!
First the pros-
Relatively low price, great styling, fast and quiet. Good range of grinding settings (I have not used this for espresso).

Now the cons-
Published on Sept. 26 2011 by Throttleclutch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance to price ratio., Dec 24 2010
Allan (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

The unit does indeed grind with minimal static. The bistro is not static free (it is almost static free). It does not produce the messes of previous grinders. No ground coffee jumps out of the receptacle after grinding. The grinding receptacle is not slippery. It is easy to hold and feels secure and sturdy.

The grinder has a low pitched sound while grinding. Although still relatively noisy, it does not produce an irritating high pitched noise (think low cost blade grinders) and as a result is more pleasant to use than many grinders.

The burrs appear to be made of steel/stainless-steel. They are easily accessed for cleaning by twisting the conical bean resevoir.

I grind oily Starbucks french roast beans for espresso with the bistro. They are ground fine and very even. The ground coffee has a fluffy texture when collected from the receptacle. I get no sand/grit in my espresso. I have made espresso with a good tamping and the fine grind that can nearly choke my espresso machine.

I would happily recommend this grinder to anyone that needs a decent grinder but doesn't want to spend greater than $150.

Happy grinding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, June 2 2012
I've had this grinder for about a month, using 2-3 times a day, and so far so good. In the past, I've had a Krups (twice) and a Cuisinart, and all stopped grinding within a year. Fingers crossed the Bodum will last, but at least this one seems to make it easier to get at the grinding mechanism to clean it - which I suspect was the problem with the others.

The Bodum is definitely quieter than the others, it takes up less counter space, and is more attractive. The container for the grounds is easy to whip in and out, and I LOVE that they've solved te static problem! Also like the air tight lid to keep the beans fresh. And the fact that there's no mess. If there are any grounds on my counter after use, it's because I was sloppy.

Overall, it's obvious that a lot of thought went into its design and if it keeps working, I'll be thrilled!

My only negative comment is that after a couple of weeks, it stopped grinding for the full 15-20 seconds (or whatever I had it set on), and now only grinds for a few seconds at a time. I have to push the little top button a few times to get as much as I need, almost like the pulse button on a blender. I don't mind doing this, but hope it's not a sign that it's going to stop altogether.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great grinder - with minor caveats, May 1 2011
I have been using this Bodum grinder daily now for two weeks.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the purchase as it was an upgrade from using a blade-grinder/pre-ground coffee. The price is very competitive. I was considering spending more for the pricier models but in hindsight, I feel the beans I use (just regular starbucks beans), likely wouldn't make a difference.

In terms of the pros:
- Great colors. Looks great in the kitchen
- Burr grinding: the ground beans are of very good consistency. I make my coffee using a french press (Bodum New Brazil 8-Cup French Press) and every cup has been excellent
- Glass grounds container: there is still static and the grinds do hang off the sides, but it's nothing a nice tap doesn't fix
- Timer: love having the timer. It took some trial and error and some wasted beans, but now I have it timed exactly so that it grinds just the right amount of beans for a cup

Some of the minor cons:
- There will still be some static electricity. But it's no big deal
- The funnel for the beans could've been slightly better designed. I've noticed beans something getting stuck in the funnel, and thus the amount grinded is reduced
- Yes, the machine will take a break after 20seconds of grinding. Since I'm not making a liter of coffee for myself every morning, this is a non-issue.

UPDATE (Jun 28/11):

I have now been using this grinder daily for the past two months. A few pounds of beans have traversed through the burr grinder. I make a French press coffee almost exclusively. The grinder has performed well - one minor issue has been using oily beans, which have a tendency to get caught on the sidewalls of the hopper instead of falling into the grinder. A good tap during the grinding ensures the beans fall in consistently. Otherwise, the machine has performed without issue.

My only concern at this time is how well the grinder will work for espresso. I am in the market for an espresso machine and I hope this grinder will be up to the task. I will update this review according.

I still stand by my score of 4/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Grinding Espresso (For Home Use), Jan. 12 2011
I just received this in the mail yesterday... it was in stock, and Amazon delivered it blazingly fast.

The primary purpose for this grinder is for my Espresso machine. I bought a Black & Decker burr grinder before and learned first-hand that cheaper burrs won't grind espresso-grade (the B&D ground Foldgers-grade at it's finest), even though they say they will. Even for the price for this Bodum, I was a bit reticent, but decided to try it, given that my perception of Bodum's quality (I have a French Press, *yay*) was pretty high. My original intention was to save up a few hundred to get a more 'industrial' one.

Overall, this unit grinds a very fine espresso and I am extremely happy with it. I do recommend this to anyone who wants to stop buying pre-ground beans for their home espresso machine. If you are planning on pre-grinding a bunch of beans ahead of time, this unit may not be for you, but if you want to grind immediately before you brew, then I'd give this one a try.

You will find that the 10 second preset will give you enough consistently ground bean to fill and brew a double.

The lime-green colour is pretty funky, and is similar to the Le Creuset lime green... definitely wouldn't want to buy everything in this colour, but it does give some good contast to my kitchen. The colour also makes it easier to clean grounds off the unit which appeals to my clean-freak tendencies. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Dec 11 2011
Ellen M. Riggins (Dryden, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an affordable grinder that works! I've gone through several, only to be disappointed by each one. The Bodum grinder is so much quieter and faster than previous grinder purchases, and the grounds are nicely uniform. I find the static problem to be almost non-existent with this unit. A fine burr grinder indeed! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars One annoyance short of five stars, Oct. 19 2011
Grinds fine and consistent, quieter than some of the other grinders I've used, and the anti static collection container is great. Build quality seems top notch and it even looks reasonably nice sitting on the counter. My first Bodum product and pretty happy with it, the company seems reasonable and even offer replacement parts right on the website so if you drop the glass you're not out of luck.

My only complaint, and this probably stems from the nature of the design and saving costs, is that you can't adjust the grind setting while there are beans in the hopper. I go back and forth between french press for multiple cups and aero press for my morning fix, and they're basically opposite ends of the spectrum. It's a bit of a pain when I'm running late, but otherwise it's a tolerable nuisance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the French Press, Jan. 24 2011
The Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder is great. I use it every morning to make my coffee with a french press. The grind is even and, unlike other grinders, there is no mess! The glass grind receptacle keeps static at a minimum.
It is a bit loud, but not that bad. I get a perfect cup of coffee every morning, so it's totally worth it.

If you use a french press and are in the market for a grinder, don't hesitate to get this one. It's great. Excellent value too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Burr under $200; Coffee tastes better, March 30 2011
Bought this after quite a bit of research. I use a French Press and am very happy the coarse setting.
The grinds are uniform and only the last sip have have a few grinds. Our blade grinder left a fine powder that was in suspension in the coffee.
The beans are sealed on top so you can store a few days worth in hopper. That lets me leave my main bag sealed longer vs a daily opening.
There is a little static on grinds in the cup but nothing you notice until you have to wipe it out.
When I switched beans I had to clean it. The center burn comes out and you clean with a toothbrush quickly.
The guts and internal channel have limited access and you tip it over and tap until grinds stop falling out. Cleaning is a 3/5. Operation 5/5
Tips:
Give the side a tap when grind is done to get the last of the grinds down into cup. Otherwise they fall on counter when you pull out cup.
5 second grind gives about 5 spoons, 3 cup press, just under 15 second grind is good for 8 cup bodum for my taste.
I also began measuring water temp and had to wait longer than expected for the kettle water to drop to 95C before pouring into press.
That seems to take off the stale pasty taste that I some times get. I think I was burning beans previously. An instant read thermo is your friend.
I am really enjoying my home brewed coffee now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little grinder, but messy!, Sept. 26 2011
First the pros-

Now the cons-
Grind setting adjustments can only be made when unit is running. No matter how much I tap the unit after grinding, stray coffee grinds end up falling out onto the base where the cup sits and onto my counter almost every time. There is a power switch with indicator light, both that really serve no purpose - the only way the unit will run is when you press the timer button. There is no need to have an indicator light burning all day and night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, lives up to reviews, July 19 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
Grinds consistently, easy to use, coffee does cling to glass container but a little tap releases them. Easy to clean, need a brush (not supplied) Make sure the machine is running before moving bean container to fine grind. Reviews, that I watched before purchasing say that it will not grind fine enough for most, if not all espresso machines. That factor did not concern me.
Looks very nice on your counter. When cleaning if you tap the machine a little, any grounds left in the grinder parts will fall into the bottom.
I use it for my Solofil which is a refillable K cup, which produces a single coffee on demand in my Cuisinart SS700 which I also recommend. Grinds consistently for this purpose. For me, I find that the two markings passed the set setting for all coffee beans but dark oily beans I grind on the set setting.
The Red model makes the grinds easy to see when you are cleaning the machine, other light colours would too.
As it is designed using a conical burr system, I believe it should be in this class. Those systems are considered the best. In a review demonstration done on You Tube by an owner of a coffee store, this grinder was more consistent in the grind than other models in the same price range or higher.
To wrap up, I am very please with this grinder, highly recommend and I think that I should have many years of use with this grinder.

RECOMMENDATION:

Purchase and enjoy that cup of Joe!

Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red