5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, lives up to reviews
Published on July 19 2011 by Mascot

3.0 out of 5 stars 20 seconds grind requirement covers manufacturer defect?
Published on Feb. 10 2012 by P.Y.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, lives up to reviews, July 19 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
Grinds consistently, easy to use, coffee does cling to glass container but a little tap releases them. Easy to clean, need a brush (not supplied) Make sure the machine is running before moving bean container to fine grind. Reviews, that I watched before purchasing say that it will not grind fine enough for most, if not all espresso machines. That factor did not concern me.
Looks very nice on your counter. When cleaning if you tap the machine a little, any grounds left in the grinder parts will fall into the bottom.
I use it for my Solofil which is a refillable K cup, which produces a single coffee on demand in my Cuisinart SS700 which I also recommend. Grinds consistently for this purpose. For me, I find that the two markings passed the set setting for all coffee beans but dark oily beans I grind on the set setting.
The Red model makes the grinds easy to see when you are cleaning the machine, other light colours would too.
As it is designed using a conical burr system, I believe it should be in this class. Those systems are considered the best. In a review demonstration done on You Tube by an owner of a coffee store, this grinder was more consistent in the grind than other models in the same price range or higher.
To wrap up, I am very please with this grinder, highly recommend and I think that I should have many years of use with this grinder.

RECOMMENDATION:

Purchase and enjoy that cup of Joe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, June 24 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
First some things about me so you have context for the review:

1. Started out with a blade grinder for years as I didn't know better
2. Graduated a few years ago to a very entry level burr grinder (Black and Decker about $40)
3. Buy Starbucks beans (Cafe Verona)
4. Drip brew and occasionally french press
5. Never drink espresso

For me, the next step up was, after reading a lot of reviews here and elsewhere, a choice between the Bodem Bistro and the Capresso 560 or 565. Ultimately, if I was willing to spend $140 rather than the $89 for the Bistro I would likely have chosen the 565. The other issue with the 560 and 565 is that they aren't available to order in Canada on Amazon and I would have had to arrange for transport (hello relatives!).

What tipped me in favour of the Bistro, all things being relatively equal (in my admittedly limited experience) between the Bistro and the 560, was the glass container for the grind. This was a must after years of dealing with the mess that static cling and plastic have given me. What scared me off a little bit was the 20 second timer and then having to wait 5 minutes before grinding again. I have the grind selected at a couple of notches courser than the default for drip brew and there is JUST enough grinds to produce 6 cups in our coffee maker. Mind you, we enjoy large cups and so this actually translates into only two of our large cups. That's fine for us but may not be enough for others. This "feature" was what had me tempted to spend the extra $50 for the 565.

The noise is quite acceptable, certainly much less than the old B&D burr grinder. Grinds are quite consistent and there is very very little static cling (although, to be fair, it is quite humid in Toronto in late June so I will reserve judgement for the dry winter months).

Amazon is amazing for their shipping time. I ordered this late Wednesday and had it delivered 36 hours later... for free. That's just hard to beat folks.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. If you're debating between these models, as I was, grab the Bistro unless you need to grind a lot of beans at once. You won't be disappointed.

P.S. The colour selection also helped out when pitching this to my wife ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performance for the price, May 26 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
I've owned this for two+ months now and used almost daily. I'm using mostly for french press and espresso. Grind is very consistent at each setting. I can grind espresso for me, and immediately go to french press for my wife and grind is bang on. The beaker does significantly cut down on static, but do not expect to have zero grinds clinging to it or the machine. The rubberized finished does make cleaning easily. The bean hopper is big enough for a full pound of beans and lid stays on well. I do think over time that the lid seal will loosen, but its not a product complaint - things just wear over time. Grind head is easily removed for cleaning and appears well made. Noise level is perfectly acceptable - never wakes up my kids when grinding at 6am. I'd like a longer max grind time for when I need to grind a lot for a large group. Overall, this is a fantastic value for the cost. Yes, more expensive grinders have a little bit of this or that, but the Bistro works great for a 5-person family.

3.0 out of 5 stars 20 seconds grind requirement covers manufacturer defect?, Feb. 10 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
As others have mentioned this thing has a flaw. The max time in can run is 20 seconds and then you have to wait 5 minutes to run it again or risk motor burn out. For fine espresso it grinds less than the amount I need for double espresso for my espresso coffee maker. The bean holder is quite big for the amount you can grind in 20s. It grinds about 2 tbsp of beans - barely covers the bottom. The request in the manual to empty the bean holder after each 20s grind to allow the motor to cool is quite ridiculous. I wondered why would they make the bean holder that big if I need to empty it all the time?
And then I looked at the package - the photo of the grinder has a timer with 40 seconds not 20! So my guess is this grinder was designed for 40s operation and probably did not require emptying the bean holder every time. This makes sense and 40s would work well for most people.
Then after they started manufacturing it, they discovered problems with overheating motor on some grinders and instead of fixing the motor, they changed the timer to 20s and rewrote the manual :). Btw I read reviews on amazon where people mentioned the manual was not changed on all languages and they still referred to 40s operation. Nice work Bodium :( Great solution:(.

On the positive side it grinds nice coffee - fine enough for my espresso machine and I am tired of buying bad grinders and returning them so I will keep it. And my advice - if you are under warranty you can try going for 40s which should be the normal operation mode and if it burns - return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars daily grinder, March 13 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
I bought the tomato red grinder. The hopper holds half a pound of beans in a fairly airtight manner. the controls work in conjunction with each other to provide the right grind, and the perfect amount. Once you find the right time/ grind combo, glue them in place because they are finicky, and difficult to reset without a ton of guessing. The glass holder seems smart, but you still have to beat it to get all of the grinds out, and beating glass is a fine dangerous art. The produced espresso powder is perfectly consistant each time, and is worth all of the foibles this grinder has.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the Price, Feb. 23 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
I bought this as a companion for my Bodum French Press. I am a happy camper. It makes perfect grind every time, is reasonably quiet, looks funky in a usual Danish way, and I was able to take another step toward being a coffee snob for under $100.

Only caveat is the 20 second timer. It makes enough grind for an "8-10 cup" french press(3-4 mugs in north america). Then you are supposed to let it cool down for five minutes. So this is a "couples" grinder, not for a family and certainly not for entertaining or coffee house duty. THAT SAID, read on...

After owning this grinder for almost two years, it is my experience that the five minute "cool down" after 20 seconds of grinding is not a deal breaker after all. I regularly run the machine a second and third cycle with only a minute of rest and the motor has suffered no ill effect. My wife didn't even know about this and apparently has cycled the daylights out of it a few times while filling a small tupperware with grid! If this unit ever did fail, I'd buy another.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for espresso, Nov. 12 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
Having heard very good reviews for this grinder I went ahead and bought it. I have a Saeco Via Veneto machine and was a little wary about the results with espresso. However, I find the finest setting is even too fine, so have set it slightly before, with excellent results. Very quiet, looks fabulous on the counter and little static activity. I'm very contented with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graet buy, Oct. 27 2011
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
Works great. We had one at owrk for the last few months and I had to go out and get one for home. Great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to complain but can't, March 27 2014
John C. Hanson (Canada, eh!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
This thing grinds as perfectly as I could ever expect, and that's pretty much all that matters.

I do have concerns, but after three months of usage have not experienced any issues. The delay between grinds is annoying, but I have only ever brewed more than one grind once. The tradeoff is power. This thing could grind rocks as coffee beans. Two days ago I ground a bunch for the big storm that blew through, expecting to lose power. I ground between book chapters. No big deal.

It does not come with a brush, but I do have my GE brush, as I expect many of us do ;) Crap machines those things are. But experimentation discovered that tapping works better than brushing -- hold it upside down, smack the bottom like a newborn baby, then rotate and slap its sides. Haven't washed it in two months. The grinder does retain grains. I turn it off, hold it up over my basket, and tap its sides. I then use my brush to sweep the tailings into my basket. Seems painful, but no, it's part of my routine. I feel OCD. The grains might not be fine enough for espresso, but I don't do it anyway. They may also seem small for a French press, but I find they work just fine. No issues with coffee quality.

I got mine at Sears during post-xmas clearance sales for $95. Worth every penny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Static Cling, March 13 2014
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)
This was a second grinder purchased for work and overall not very satisfied with the purchase.

Pros
-The grind is consistent.

Cons
-Bodum claims the "glass catcher reduces static cling". This is not the case as a significant amount of coffee, at least 1 scoop or so, clings to the catcher making it near impossible to get the coffee out without making a mess.
-The 20 second max grind is also a pain when making a larger pots of coffee.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›