Color: Red|Change

Showing 1-10 of 215 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on June 6, 2016
I'm enjoying using this grinder. It's sleek, efficient and relatively quiet. The glass container does seem to help with static, but doesn't entirely eliminate it. Grind consistency seems to be very good.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 24, 2010
I bought this grinder after researching for quite sometime. I had narrowed it down to the capresso infinity 56x series and the bistro. The bistro was chosen because of the promise of static free grinding due to its glass jar.

The unit does indeed grind with minimal static. The bistro is not static free (it is almost static free). It does not produce the messes of previous grinders. No ground coffee jumps out of the receptacle after grinding. The grinding receptacle is not slippery. It is easy to hold and feels secure and sturdy.

The grinder has a low pitched sound while grinding. Although still relatively noisy, it does not produce an irritating high pitched noise (think low cost blade grinders) and as a result is more pleasant to use than many grinders.

The burrs appear to be made of steel/stainless-steel. They are easily accessed for cleaning by twisting the conical bean resevoir.

I grind oily Starbucks french roast beans for espresso with the bistro. They are ground fine and very even. The ground coffee has a fluffy texture when collected from the receptacle. I get no sand/grit in my espresso. I have made espresso with a good tamping and the fine grind that can nearly choke my espresso machine.

I would happily recommend this grinder to anyone that needs a decent grinder but doesn't want to spend greater than $150.

Happy grinding.
on January 12, 2011
I just received this in the mail yesterday... it was in stock, and Amazon delivered it blazingly fast.

The primary purpose for this grinder is for my Espresso machine. I bought a Black & Decker burr grinder before and learned first-hand that cheaper burrs won't grind espresso-grade (the B&D ground Foldgers-grade at it's finest), even though they say they will. Even for the price for this Bodum, I was a bit reticent, but decided to try it, given that my perception of Bodum's quality (I have a French Press, *yay*) was pretty high. My original intention was to save up a few hundred to get a more 'industrial' one.

Overall, this unit grinds a very fine espresso and I am extremely happy with it. I do recommend this to anyone who wants to stop buying pre-ground beans for their home espresso machine. If you are planning on pre-grinding a bunch of beans ahead of time, this unit may not be for you, but if you want to grind immediately before you brew, then I'd give this one a try.

You will find that the 10 second preset will give you enough consistently ground bean to fill and brew a double.

The lime-green colour is pretty funky, and is similar to the Le Creuset lime green... definitely wouldn't want to buy everything in this colour, but it does give some good contast to my kitchen. The colour also makes it easier to clean grounds off the unit which appeals to my clean-freak tendencies. :-)
on May 28, 2016
So far this has exceeded my expectations. The use of a glass jar reduces the static significantly. I used to have to clean us static "spray" about every second or third day. With this one not even once a week. As others have noted it is noisy - but I've never used one that wasn't and this is no worse than any other.

The whole thing is very nicely designed. The lid for the hopper and the ground coffee catcher are well thought out and fit well. Exit for the ground beans into the catcher is vertical so there is no 90 degree angle, that most other medium cost grinders have, for grinds to get caught up in. The timer is well placed and easy to set. Performance is very consistent - far more so than previous grinders I have owned. With this one, once I found the time and grind settings I needed it became just a question of pushing the button each day - very consistent. If I have a tiny complaint it is that for a full jug of coffee I have to grind twice because the timer can't be set for a long enough time to do it all in one go. Luckily it still fits in the catch jar and pressing the start button twice isn't exactly arduous.

Recommended.
on December 11, 2011
This is an affordable grinder that works! I've gone through several, only to be disappointed by each one. The Bodum grinder is so much quieter and faster than previous grinder purchases, and the grounds are nicely uniform. I find the static problem to be almost non-existent with this unit. A fine burr grinder indeed! Highly recommended.
on July 19, 2011
Grinds consistently, easy to use, coffee does cling to glass container but a little tap releases them. Easy to clean, need a brush (not supplied) Make sure the machine is running before moving bean container to fine grind. Reviews, that I watched before purchasing say that it will not grind fine enough for most, if not all espresso machines. That factor did not concern me.
Looks very nice on your counter. When cleaning if you tap the machine a little, any grounds left in the grinder parts will fall into the bottom.
I use it for my Solofil which is a refillable K cup, which produces a single coffee on demand in my Cuisinart SS700 which I also recommend. Grinds consistently for this purpose. For me, I find that the two markings passed the set setting for all coffee beans but dark oily beans I grind on the set setting.
The Red model makes the grinds easy to see when you are cleaning the machine, other light colours would too.
As it is designed using a conical burr system, I believe it should be in this class. Those systems are considered the best. In a review demonstration done on You Tube by an owner of a coffee store, this grinder was more consistent in the grind than other models in the same price range or higher.
To wrap up, I am very please with this grinder, highly recommend and I think that I should have many years of use with this grinder.

RECOMMENDATION:

Purchase and enjoy that cup of Joe!
on July 15, 2016
It works very, very well for sure. Unfortunately my first one slowly had the timer get shorter and shorter, or there is a thermal cutout that hit sooner and sooner. I guess I can't complain - it worked fine for 5 years. I have noticed that the top of the unit is always warm, that the the control board is always energized. We have resolved to keep this one turned off when not in use. Looked at others this time, but this unit still seemed to be the best value. Static is minimal, a few taps of the jar on the counter settles things to the bottom.
on July 3, 2016
I think it's an excellent machine, for the price. Burrs could be made of ceramic and the top could be engineered better (no big deal but it could seal better). Great price and value. They make it in green, they make it in red! It grinds course enough for a French press, and fine enough for espresso. My favourite grinder of all I've ever owned! I accidentally broke my girlfriend's little buster type grinder and I was glad because it meant I could buy her this one.

Really good design. Being able to set and leave a dial for the grinding time, and start it by pressing a button is the best. Once you figure out how much you want ground, you awake, go to your kitchen, press one button, and make coffee. The same every time. You'll feel like a coffee God. You'll feel like you're living in the future.
on September 16, 2011
I've been nothing but happy with this purchase. the grind speed, quality and features are all well above average. The grind container actually is static free and my coffee quality has significantly improved since we started using this grinder. Well worth the money.
on September 26, 2011
I make my coffee in a one cup coffee maker because I drink only one or two cups a day. It takes a lot of time to go through coffee at that rate, so by the end, the coffee is pretty stale. I decided that buying beans and grinding my own was the best idea, but the blade grinder I had made a mess and wouldn't give an even grind.

The Bodum is fast, quiet, the anti static glass container is not messy, the grind is perfect for filter coffee, it is small enough to leave on the counter, and even though the coffee beans are a month old, there is still the yummy aroma of freshly ground coffee each morning. The five second grind gives me just enough for my two single cup brews.

I'm sold on this one.