Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Personal Care Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Showing 1-10 of 175 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 24, 2010
I bought this grinder after researching for quite sometime. I had narrowed it down to the capresso infinity 56x series and the bistro. The bistro was chosen because of the promise of static free grinding due to its glass jar.

The unit does indeed grind with minimal static. The bistro is not static free (it is almost static free). It does not produce the messes of previous grinders. No ground coffee jumps out of the receptacle after grinding. The grinding receptacle is not slippery. It is easy to hold and feels secure and sturdy.

The grinder has a low pitched sound while grinding. Although still relatively noisy, it does not produce an irritating high pitched noise (think low cost blade grinders) and as a result is more pleasant to use than many grinders.

The burrs appear to be made of steel/stainless-steel. They are easily accessed for cleaning by twisting the conical bean resevoir.

I grind oily Starbucks french roast beans for espresso with the bistro. They are ground fine and very even. The ground coffee has a fluffy texture when collected from the receptacle. I get no sand/grit in my espresso. I have made espresso with a good tamping and the fine grind that can nearly choke my espresso machine.

I would happily recommend this grinder to anyone that needs a decent grinder but doesn't want to spend greater than $150.

Happy grinding.
on January 12, 2011
I just received this in the mail yesterday... it was in stock, and Amazon delivered it blazingly fast.

The primary purpose for this grinder is for my Espresso machine. I bought a Black & Decker burr grinder before and learned first-hand that cheaper burrs won't grind espresso-grade (the B&D ground Foldgers-grade at it's finest), even though they say they will. Even for the price for this Bodum, I was a bit reticent, but decided to try it, given that my perception of Bodum's quality (I have a French Press, *yay*) was pretty high. My original intention was to save up a few hundred to get a more 'industrial' one.

Overall, this unit grinds a very fine espresso and I am extremely happy with it. I do recommend this to anyone who wants to stop buying pre-ground beans for their home espresso machine. If you are planning on pre-grinding a bunch of beans ahead of time, this unit may not be for you, but if you want to grind immediately before you brew, then I'd give this one a try.

You will find that the 10 second preset will give you enough consistently ground bean to fill and brew a double.

The lime-green colour is pretty funky, and is similar to the Le Creuset lime green... definitely wouldn't want to buy everything in this colour, but it does give some good contast to my kitchen. The colour also makes it easier to clean grounds off the unit which appeals to my clean-freak tendencies. :-)
on December 11, 2011
This is an affordable grinder that works! I've gone through several, only to be disappointed by each one. The Bodum grinder is so much quieter and faster than previous grinder purchases, and the grounds are nicely uniform. I find the static problem to be almost non-existent with this unit. A fine burr grinder indeed! Highly recommended.
on July 19, 2011
Grinds consistently, easy to use, coffee does cling to glass container but a little tap releases them. Easy to clean, need a brush (not supplied) Make sure the machine is running before moving bean container to fine grind. Reviews, that I watched before purchasing say that it will not grind fine enough for most, if not all espresso machines. That factor did not concern me.
Looks very nice on your counter. When cleaning if you tap the machine a little, any grounds left in the grinder parts will fall into the bottom.
I use it for my Solofil which is a refillable K cup, which produces a single coffee on demand in my Cuisinart SS700 which I also recommend. Grinds consistently for this purpose. For me, I find that the two markings passed the set setting for all coffee beans but dark oily beans I grind on the set setting.
The Red model makes the grinds easy to see when you are cleaning the machine, other light colours would too.
As it is designed using a conical burr system, I believe it should be in this class. Those systems are considered the best. In a review demonstration done on You Tube by an owner of a coffee store, this grinder was more consistent in the grind than other models in the same price range or higher.
To wrap up, I am very please with this grinder, highly recommend and I think that I should have many years of use with this grinder.

RECOMMENDATION:

Purchase and enjoy that cup of Joe!
on January 24, 2011
The Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder is great. I use it every morning to make my coffee with a french press. The grind is even and, unlike other grinders, there is no mess! The glass grind receptacle keeps static at a minimum.
It is a bit loud, but not that bad. I get a perfect cup of coffee every morning, so it's totally worth it.

If you use a french press and are in the market for a grinder, don't hesitate to get this one. It's great. Excellent value too!
on September 16, 2011
I've been nothing but happy with this purchase. the grind speed, quality and features are all well above average. The grind container actually is static free and my coffee quality has significantly improved since we started using this grinder. Well worth the money.
on September 26, 2011
I make my coffee in a one cup coffee maker because I drink only one or two cups a day. It takes a lot of time to go through coffee at that rate, so by the end, the coffee is pretty stale. I decided that buying beans and grinding my own was the best idea, but the blade grinder I had made a mess and wouldn't give an even grind.

The Bodum is fast, quiet, the anti static glass container is not messy, the grind is perfect for filter coffee, it is small enough to leave on the counter, and even though the coffee beans are a month old, there is still the yummy aroma of freshly ground coffee each morning. The five second grind gives me just enough for my two single cup brews.

I'm sold on this one.
on June 28, 2011
I've had the grinder for about 2 weeks now. The comments from others are accurate. It is a small unit and it looks to me that the 20 second grind time will do about 10 scoops or about enough for a 12 cup coffee maker for me. If you like stronger coffee you'll have to wait the 5 minutes for the motor to cool down. This is fine for the two of us at home but some may prefer a higher capacity grinder. I do not make espresso so I can't comment on that but I think some may prefer a better grinder for that.
I love the small size and the looks compared to many that I've seen. I've had no mess at all in the time I've had it so I do recommend it.
on June 24, 2011
First some things about me so you have context for the review:

1. Started out with a blade grinder for years as I didn't know better
2. Graduated a few years ago to a very entry level burr grinder (Black and Decker about $40)
3. Buy Starbucks beans (Cafe Verona)
4. Drip brew and occasionally french press
5. Never drink espresso

For me, the next step up was, after reading a lot of reviews here and elsewhere, a choice between the Bodem Bistro and the Capresso 560 or 565. Ultimately, if I was willing to spend $140 rather than the $89 for the Bistro I would likely have chosen the 565. The other issue with the 560 and 565 is that they aren't available to order in Canada on Amazon and I would have had to arrange for transport (hello relatives!).

What tipped me in favour of the Bistro, all things being relatively equal (in my admittedly limited experience) between the Bistro and the 560, was the glass container for the grind. This was a must after years of dealing with the mess that static cling and plastic have given me. What scared me off a little bit was the 20 second timer and then having to wait 5 minutes before grinding again. I have the grind selected at a couple of notches courser than the default for drip brew and there is JUST enough grinds to produce 6 cups in our coffee maker. Mind you, we enjoy large cups and so this actually translates into only two of our large cups. That's fine for us but may not be enough for others. This "feature" was what had me tempted to spend the extra $50 for the 565.

The noise is quite acceptable, certainly much less than the old B&D burr grinder. Grinds are quite consistent and there is very very little static cling (although, to be fair, it is quite humid in Toronto in late June so I will reserve judgement for the dry winter months).

Amazon is amazing for their shipping time. I ordered this late Wednesday and had it delivered 36 hours later... for free. That's just hard to beat folks.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. If you're debating between these models, as I was, grab the Bistro unless you need to grind a lot of beans at once. You won't be disappointed.

P.S. The colour selection also helped out when pitching this to my wife ;)
on March 28, 2011
I read the reviews for this grinder before buying and I am not dissapointed, it was shipped promptly and packed very well.
The grinder does a great job just like the ground coffee you buy in a package, I was using a blade grinder and was not happy with the results, no way to control the grind and lots of fine dust, now that I am using the Bodum Bistro I can control the grind and there is no dust.
It is very important to be able to set the grind, to give an example I had some coffee beans that I ground at a medium setting, when brewed it was too bitter for my taste so next time I used that coffee I ground it courser and it was not bitter.

The quality of this grinder is very good, the ground coffee it grinds is very uniform each piece of coffee is the same size, no dust and no lumps.