5.0 out of 5 stars The best "Wonderland" film I had seen
Tim Burton is back! And along with his regular star Johnny Depp, they both concocted this extension of Lewis Carroll's novels Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass - few of my favorite stories, for Disney.

Published on June 3 2010 by Frances L. Arsenault

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your childhood Alice in Wonderland!
Published 23 months ago by John Thomas Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your childhood Alice in Wonderland!, Aug. 20 2013
John Thomas Anderson (Southern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Right from the opening scenes when Alice reaches Wonderland; it becomes quite apparent that this is definitely a Tim Burton production. From the gritty bottom of the rabbit hole to the burnt and twisted trees surrounding the Red Queen's castle to the final battle against the Jabberwocky; it bears at times an uncanny similarity to his previous works like Corpse Bride, Bettlejuice or Nightmare before Christmas. More along the lines of an 18th Century Grimm's Fairy tale than the original sanitized Disney animated feature of our youth. (I definitely wouldn't recommend this for small children!) In other words, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is a fairy tale for adults more so than children!

And in this vein it works rather well. Johnny Depp is up to his usual high standards as a Hatter that's more Post Traumatic Stress than Mad, the visuals are striking (if somewhat grim at times), the action scenes when she's travelling must be pretty impressive in 3D (wish I could see that), the musical score is damn addictive (I'm still humming it as I write this review - cannot get it out of my head) and the surround sound not only is a very immersive 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio but my Denon receiver indicates it's got EX decoding for the back channel as well and it gets plenty of use. Very impressive.

On the negative side. As I said, it's more of a film for adults rather than children, the beginning and ending tends to drag a bit (though it does make a good period drama), the action scenes are interposed with quieter scenes in which nothing much happens and the final battle has been done better in movies like the first two Narnia's or The Golden Compass. So where fantasy movies like those I'd rate from 4 to 5, I can't in good conscience rate this any higher than 3 to 3-1/2. In other words, although this movie has great visual and audio power, it just doesn't have as much staying power.

J. A.

3.0 out of 5 stars No doubt, about it this is Disneyated not Depp, July 20 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is a story about a brat (Mairi Ella Challen) that grew up to a demure young lady (Mia Wasikowska), and lost her snot factor. Can she gain it back through adventure? The story needed some adjustment due to the age factor of the victim. Therefore, this is why we get a more of a return the Underland in place of the original Wonderland. The wit is replaces with action, the cunning with swordplay and so forth.

I do not want to give away any surprises but this presentation is a unique made for the actors and to be politically correct for this day and age. Alice is facing marriage to the son of her defunct father's old business partner. She has been having problem with being distracted by a rabbit in a waistcoat. She falls for the rabbit and we began to think back fondly of the story we were told as children. If she can adjust her size the adventure takes a sad turn into a swashbuckler; unfortunately it is Alice not The Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp). Will Alice be eaten, scratched, beheaded, or otherwise dispatched? Alternatively, will she return, get married, and realize there is no place like home.

I only saw the 2D version so I cannot comment on 3D. The parts were extremely well acted by many of the best-known actors of the time. No telling what the movie would be if the characters were a tad more traditional.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "Wonderland" film I had seen, June 3 2010
Frances L. Arsenault "lover of literature" (Nanaimo, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews

I saw the movie in 3D with my Dad, and it was the second film my Dad had ever seen in a theatre, and it is also my 3rd 3D film I've seen. What I meant by extension of the story is that we get to see a 19-year-old Alice returning to Wonderland (or "Underland" as it is called), after escaping an possible wedding engagement to some poop-a-doop-spoiled-brat snob, to end The Red Queen's reign of terror; and restore the White Queen (who is sister to the Red Queen) to the throne.

So anyway I really love this film, and I love the film's musical soundtrack that unites Burton's regular composer Danny Elfman. And it is truly the best "Wonderland" film I had seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, Nov. 17 2012
This movie is such a wonderful rendition of the original movie. Johnny Depp is amazing and captivating to watch. A nice movie for the whole family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and unique, July 1 2013
Interesting take on a classic. Not what I expected, but it was well done. Johnny Depp and the supporting cast are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice in Wonderland, May 1 2013
V. Moar "cat lover" (Hanna Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a very entertaining version of and old story and I really like Johnny Depp's twist on the tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 3D movie..., May 24 2015
G. Edmonson (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
This is one of the best 3D movies I have seen out of the 50 or so that I have watched. It is on par with Avatar for 3D effects. Images actually situate themselves in front of the tv, unlike some so called 3D movies where the image is restricted mostly behind the tv screen. The images are also very interesting and imaginative. An excellent movie!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see another version of Alice in Wonderland, Nov. 22 2014
Nice to see another version of Alice in Wonderland. This one is modern, actors are good, but the movie is not that exciting. Maybe fans of Johnny Depp would appreciate it more. One thing is sure, all in this movie is magical, supranatural. But this movie is not the best from Walt Disney anyway. Recommended for Disney or Depp fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realizing the difference. Don't compare the old to this new take., May 14 2010
Alana Aspeck "SilveryBlue" (Edmonton,AB CANADA) - See all my reviews
One thing I find that people don't realize with this take on Alice in Wonderland is that it is more like a continuation of the movie.
Perhaps they were expecting it to be like the cartoon or the other takes on the movie but it isn't. I came to realize after watching interviews by the cast as well as Tim Burton. I think it was fantastically done. It's my opinion that Burton wanted it to be close to the book yet adapted to his own taste as well, a mix of everything. Everyone has different tastes and has different opinions on what they like and don't like. I personally thought it was a great adaption of Alice and enjoyed it. I look forward to Tim Burton movies as he is dark, and does a great job with being different.

3.0 out of 5 stars i'm glad i only paid $5 for it!!!!!, Nov. 23 2013
it was just ok. I was disappointed. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of the original Alice but even when you realize its alice but grown up its like there's no action. all through the movie you were waiting for something to happen but it never did

Alice in Wonderland [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 39.99