5.0 out of 5 stars Smiling is my favourite!
Elf is a brilliant combination of comedy and heartwarming christmas drama.
Published on Dec 18 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars 2008 version has no special features
I really like the movie, but I was expecting the 2008 DVD release to have the same special features that the 2003 DVD release has. It doesn't - in fact, there are none (except for some DVD-ROM capabilities). If you're one who is inclined to purchase a DVD that has special features, do not buy the 2008 DVD release of "Elf".
Published on Dec 13 2011 by tegdirbnosnibor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Smiling is my favourite!, Dec 18 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Elf (DVD)
Elf is a brilliant combination of comedy and heartwarming christmas drama.
This film is a must watch! Having purchased Elf when it first came out (just one month ago) I have already seen it three times. It fills all of our cravings for a christmas movie by combining both the special effects from our childhood favourites (the snowman from Rudolph, for instance and the storybook narrative) as well as a few modern touches, without making it a "2003" film. I think that 10 years from now, the movie will not feel dated and will be just as enjoyable then as it is now.
Will Ferrell is a genius. Each time I rent one of his movies, I expect it to be sophomoric or stupid, and he fools me every time! "Buddy" the Elf is such a sweet, simple, endearing character and it could have gone very wrong. Rather than going for the cheap laugh and going far over the top, Will Ferrell never breaks character and makes Buddy into such a great character, that you wish that you really knew him. You will completely believe his naive, childlike demeanor and laugh when you recognize the same mistakes you may have made as a child, or silly stunts that kids do. I don't know if Will Ferrell has kids, but when he is calling for his dad to "tuck him in", he completely nailed it.
The movie is rounded out with an excellent cast...James Caan, Bob Newhart, Mary Steenburgen, Zoey Deschanel (who sings the most beautiful duet with Will Farrell!)...each of whom brings their own key elements to the movie.
This is a great Christmas movie that should be a part of everyone's holiday collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Christmas movie EVER!!, Nov. 7 2012
This review is from: Elf (Le Lutin) (DVD)
I love this movie because it's a really lighthearted, funny Christmas movie that is suitable for all ages. I have watched it over and over again and I never get sick of it. This movie will definitely put you in the Christmas spirit!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Will Ferrell Can Be And Still Get A PG Rating, June 17 2004
S. F. "meefirst" (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I thought it would be hard for Will Ferrell to top his hilarious performance in Old School. I thought wrong. Ever since I first saw this movie in the theaters last year, I have been waiting for this DVD to come out. This is proof that Mr. Ferrel can carry a whole movie on his charisma alone. My friends and I went into the movie not expecting much (not unlike Old School), but we walked out in tears, holding our sides from laughter.
Not gonna say no more 'cause I don't want to inflate anyone's expectations, but I did love this movie. I'm not surprised that they waited till the holiday months to release it, but I did wish they would have done it sooner.
Prepare for a full 95 minutes of lunacy (that is, if you can stand Will Ferrell for that long, which I can). Enjoy! : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, Dec 26 2012
This review is from: Elf [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Arrived on time ( exclamation mark ) Kids love the movie. The watch it over and over and over !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie!, Dec 4 2012
This review is from: Elf (Le Lutin) (DVD)
Love this movie. Uplifting, cute, funny, great music!
I will watch this movie over and over for years to come! Just wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Heart, and Genuine Laughs, Nov. 16 2004
Rebecca Chown (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elf (DVD)
My expectations weren't particularly high going into see ELF, but it turned out to be one of my favorite movies of 2003. I have been waiting anxiously since it's theatre release for the DVD so that I could own this gem, and it doesn't disappoint. If you are looking for a movie that will deliver an excellent story with laughs that will split your sides... this is the one for you. Will Farrell is increadable as Buddy the adopted elf, and teh rest of the cast does a stellar job. This is going to become a Christmas staple in my househaold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny! An absolute comedy classic!, Sept. 28 2005
This review is from: Elf (DVD)
This is one of those movies with a perfect mixture. It's fun for both kids and adults. There are those quotes you think of a couple months after watching it, like "I like smiling, smiling is my favorite!" " 'You like sugar, huh?' 'Does syrup have sugar?' 'Yeeees...' 'Then yes!' You just have to laugh at elf! A great movie! I must say, though, this movie is a bit over priced at amazon. I bought it at Blockbuster for $12!!! I recommend buying at the store unless amazon lowers its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ferrell Elf Amazing, June 15 2004
By A Customer
Will Ferrell is the funniest guy out now maybe ever n this movie is the best one hes been in so far. If u like will ferrell than why wouldn't you like this???IDK....i can't wait for this dvd it's been a long time since i've seen a movie and i haven't seen a movie as funny as Elf since i've seen Elf.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, June 24 2014
This is one movie that I could watch over and over. Everything is great. BUY AND ENJOY it with the family

5.0 out of 5 stars A cute, fun film for the entire family, May 11 2014
Mark Feuer (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elf (Le Lutin) (DVD)
Will Ferrell makes a cute elf despite his tall size and the funny misadventures as he goes to New York City to find his real dad. The story ends with a love story and everybody living happily ever after.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Elf [Blu-ray]
Elf [Blu-ray] by Jon Favreau (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 25.99 CDN$ 13.69