5.0 out of 5 stars Watch the movie, THEN read the books...
People often read novels or comics before embarking onto their cinematic adaptations. And how often have I heard about "this part was missing" or "they screwed the whole character", etc.

Published 2 months ago by Simon Bergeron

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie but..
This movie is full of fun and original humor for the 80s-90s kids. However, there's a big caveat: get it on bluray for only a little bit more and not only do you get the bluray, but the DVD, the digital copy, and an additional choice of another digital copy movie included! What a deal!
Published on Nov. 25 2010 by D. Gillies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch the movie, THEN read the books..., Feb. 13 2014
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Blu-ray)

The trick, my friends, is simple: should you wish to enjoy both, you would be better to watch the film first. THEN read the source material. Sure, sometimes people delve into it before it even becomes a film, but then it kinda defeats the purpose of my post :/ where to begin, then...

Just take your time. As much as possible, try and do it at least once: watch the movie and read its novel or graphic novel afterwards.

This is an example I'm happy to have done this because there are quite a load of changes and deletion that had to be done to condense 6 massive Scott Pilgrim volumes in one 2-hour long movie.

Does it hurt the result? Well, not really. From my experience, it takes a very gifted director and an even wittier writer to avoid such trappings, and luckily, Edgar Wright has everything in Aces here. Comedic timing, surrealistic moments, the gold was already there when Bryan Lee O'Maley crafted his ingenious graphic novel, but Edgar, with such limited screen time, managed to make the trip worthwhile. Fast paced, fun, funny, never dull, filled with colorful characters, quirky and witty dialogues galore... the list goes on. It is easily one of the best most satisfying experiences I had in a long time and I hesitate not one minute to recommend it to anyone and everyone who's curious about watching this.

Then, read the source material ^_^

As far as special features go, there's plenty to end your appetite. Hours upon hours of bonus truly give you the experience of filming it, writing it, meeting with the comic's creator, deleted scenes, outtakes, interviews, featurettes about the music, etc... Edgar Wright's movies never disappointed me in terms of features... and this is no exception.

Scott Pilgrim is just about one of Wright's absolute BEST (toe-to-toe with Hot Fuzz so far). Please watch it :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected!, Dec 16 2013
Very nice movie, I had already seen it but it was so cheep that I bought it just to try amazon 2-days shipping. Beautiful metal case quality with cool graphic. Not much else to say of it. (Please take in note that I never bought any other metal case film or video game so I can't compare)

1 thing bad is the sticker of the price is directly on the box and difficult to remove in a clean way. I recommend olive oil or lighter's fuel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Pilgrim DID Face the World, Sept. 17 2013
What a ridiculously under appreciate film. I understand this is made for a certain generation and does not follow a standard movie format, but this is a wonderful adventure that has something for everyone. This action fighting adventure love story starts off in a mildly comic like world and by the end turns into a full fledged action packed comic book reality. Its amazing and sincere, but enough people did not give it a chance. This is deff worth a watch especially if you liked the comic books. This is witty, funny, and a different direction which can be a nice change of pace. Great garage band sounding soundtrack to the movie as well mixed with great indie rock music; which I don't even listen too, but can appreciate the world this movie created!

Give it a shot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hipsters will rule the world, May 3 2013
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Blu-ray)
If you're from Toronto this is a must buy. Michael Cera plays an amazingly lame super hero.
Movies good, extra features are good, comes with concept art, deleted scenes worth watching
and steller movie stills. This movie will give you nerd chills, it will make you laugh, cry, scream well not scream
but you defeninetly will be in awe at what a good performance and quality CGI movie can bring. This movie has sound effects that will tantalize you. Look how much I'm writing about how good this movie is! MORE WORDS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Waited too long to see this!!, Feb. 20 2013
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Blu-ray)
In lesbians with this movie, it's epic. A close friend of mine raved about this movie. I really wish I had seen it sooner. It was on tv not too long ago and I had my amazon order placed before it was over. Thanks for having it in stock and delivered quickly!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie!, Jan. 29 2013
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (DVD)
I forgot how amazing this movie was until I watched it again. The bonus trivia track is awesome for sure check it out! Just seriously one of the best movies of the past few years!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Dec 31 2012
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Blu-ray)
This movie rules! Such an unexpected surprise, recommended to anyone born in the seventies and later. Made a great gift

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite movie of the year, Aug. 20 2012
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Blu-ray)
Bought this a while back and was my favourite movie of the year, watched it over and over. If you grew up with Nintendo I think it would be hard not to enjoy this movie. Lots of fun and something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Pilgrim Verses The Commentaries, Dec 20 2010
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (DVD)
As I said in my review with regards to the Scott Pilgrim comics series, I actually watched this film in theatres first before reading the books. I wasn't sure that I'd even try to review this here, but Amazon asked me to review my recent purchase and I decided that there are some things I want to say about this film.

So first I would like to talk about the movie itself and then its DVD features. I really liked the film. The music that it begins with is excellent and it really hits a chord in many old-time console gamers out there. It also sets the tone of just what kind of film Scott Pilgrim will be and -- on a tangent and in retrospect -- it also makes you realize just what kind of video game character Scott Pilgrim's physical design is reminiscent of in the comics.

I really like the comic book caption and scene structure in the film as well as its video game elements: particularly in its combat system or in how Scott fights the evil exes of Ramona Flowers. I will say that the characters of Kim Pine and Ramona Flowers really seem a little flat. They convey their mood and their personality well on a very elementary level, but there is only so much that they say or do in the film to round them out as three-dimensional characters. To me anyway, Ramona does not seem like a very sympathetic character in the film. In fact, one of the few times she does seem so is in one of the last Deleted Scenes on the DVD.

But as I have said before, this film really is "an epic of epic epicness." It lives up to its hype with its arcade, comics and popular culture influences. I really enjoyed seeing it. Then we come to the DVD element of this product. I really enjoyed the Deleted Scenes: particularly the alternate ending. The irony is, I actually liked the alternate ending a lot more than the real one. There were just elements in the film itself that practically led to this other ending and I definitely think people who love this film and the Scott Pilgrim world will definitely want to check this out. There is a lot of supplemental material in the DVD as well with regards to sketches and potential foes that were never used in the movie: though they did get used in the comics and the video game versions of Scott Pilgrim.

I was disappointed by the commentaries. Don't misunderstand, they were some very interesting tidbits in there and it was interesting to hear Wright and Bryan Lee O'Malley as well as some of the actors talk about their work and insights in the film, but I think it would have been more effective if they had a separate Interview section or Commentary instead of having to watch the film over and over again to hear it. Like I said, there were some interesting insights there but I was really interested in hearing more from O'Malley with regards to his work and from the actors and their insights into the characters themselves.

Yet I really found it interesting that as Wright and the actors were working on this film, Bryan Lee O'Malley was still in the process of finishing the Scott Pilgrim comics series. There was definitely some cross-pollinating media work happening during the creation of the film and the comics and that particular observation really put some things in perspective for me.

So overall, I really loved this film and I think the DVD is definitely worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Blu-Ray of Epic Epicness, Nov. 11 2010
This review is from: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Blu-ray)
There is nothing more moving, and more real, than the fake world of Scott Pilgrim. You follow the ups and downs of this boy turning into a man. You follow the trial of carnage he leaves in his wake. You follow them both through the star door into subspace. Then you end up at the store, buying the Blu-ray. This particular bundle is packed with goodies. All the blogs are here as well as "Music Videos" for the 4 major songs in the movie as well as different commentaries and special pre-production features. Well worth the money and I am surprised they were able to get this much content bundled together so quickly after the movie was released. This is well worth even the full price tag of $45 once it clears the initial sales boost.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›