5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ear plugs for music
These ear plugs are the best for live music. Unlike the yellow foam/malleable rubber/flange tip construction earplugs, they don't change the actual sound very much. They just make everything quieter.

Pros:
- excellent sound reduction without changing sound of music
- good value
- comes with case with keychain ring

Cons:
- they...
Published on Jan. 12 2013 by Sarah (Toronto)

Published 1 month ago by Ian Sweeney

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ear plugs for music, Jan. 12 2013
This review is from: Etymotic Research ER20-SMB-C ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs, Standard Fit, Clear Stem with Blue Tip (Health and Beauty)

Pros:
- excellent sound reduction without changing sound of music
- good value
- comes with case with keychain ring

Cons:
- they come in two sizes and it's hard to tell which one to get... these are supposedly the ones that for "most" people but I found the larger ones had a better fit for me [regular sized woman] - the website isn't helpful in this regard, it says that the size of your person cannot determine the size of your ear canals and you should basically order these and hope they ft
- the fit takes some getting used to - they're like putting in higher-end headphones (like shure or etymotics) - you have to shove them in pretty far and twist them around to get a good seal - I don't mind this because I'm used to it from using shures but my sister did not like this at all

Overall:
- highly recommended for anyone who goes to a lot of live shows and cares about preventing hearing damage. I lost my old ones and immediately replaced them right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you like live music, and don`t want to go deaf. Audiophile earplugs!, May 16 2013
These earplugs deserve the good reviews and ratings they've gotten on here. I wore them to a recent concert, and the sound with them on was amazing! The sound wasn't muffled, or too quiet - things still sounded good, and I didn't feel like my ears were being constantly pummeled. No need to take these ones out for the good songs, like I usually do. Plus, the earplugs get rid of the distortion you hear with your naked ears from really loud sound. You do have to push them kind of deep into your ears, which feels weird at first, but it's all part of the design. Also, my friend told me she couldn't see them in my ears, so now I can go clubbing without going deaf or looking like a dork. Bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as intended, Dec 20 2012
I have fairly small ears so I was worried about the fit on these but they were great!

I used these all night at a club and did not wake up with ears ringing like I normally would. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Plugs!!, Oct. 1 2014
Awesome.

Wore them to a concert last night. I had thought based on the product name "ER20" that it was 20 db reduction (in fact it is only 12 db).

I was worried this would be not enough as normally when I wear foam plugs is is 23 db or better.

Boy was I wrong. Unlike most foam plugs, these do not need to be babysat once in the ear. They just work and you wind up forgetting they are in. Sound is, unlike foam plugs, clear as a bell... all that seems to be reduced is volume.

Ears did not ring or hurt after.

Would buy them again in a heartbeat.

2.0 out of 5 stars it would allow the plug to be grasped more effectively and prevent fingers from slipping off and avoid situations like mine from, Feb. 5 2015
I bought these ear plugs for concerts, sporting events, etc. I am headed to an event tomorrow, so when they arrived today in the mail I was excited to try them out. They arrived at my workplace mid-day so when I was just about to head home, I cranked the radio up in the car and and popped them in according to the instructions. They worked really well - I could still hear clearly, but It wasn't deafening.

A problem then arose. I went to pull them out, and I was unable to grasp the clear plastic end - my fingers just kept slipping off. In addition, the way the plug is designed, it resists coming out (the shape of the blue layers) but goes in with ease. In other words, as I continually tried to grasp the slippery clear plastic, the plug was pushed further and further into my ear until it was jammed against my ear drum. I couldn't even turn my head without feeling the pain.

I raced home (nearly 30 mins) and had to have a family member use needle nosed pliers to remove the plug from my ear. Needless to say that the return shipping label is already printed. I will be looking for an alternate product.

I have a design suggestion for the manufacturer. If they were to add a small lip on the base of the stem, it would allow the plug to be grasped more effectively and prevent fingers from slipping off and avoid situations like mine from happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend Strongly for Bass/Electronic/Etc shows, Sept. 27 2014
I bought these as an improvement/alternative to wearing foam earplugs to the big shows I frequent. I typically hit up a lot of bass/electronic shows, and hated losing all sound definition with the foamies. These are a brilliant replacement, I could not be happier. I don't feel like they sit terribly far into the ear, but the seal was a weird feeling to get used to. After I had them in for twenty minutes, I forgot about them entirely (something I almost never manage with the foam plugs), and the sound was crystal clear. So clear, in fact, I honestly thought they had fallen out halfway through the night. The only issue I've had is that closer sounds are also dampened, so conversation can be difficult - then again, I'm not at these shows to chat anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good earplugs, Nov. 6 2014
D. Marois (Quebec) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have a 50w tube amp and it's very loud for home use. Since I can't afford a proper attenuator right now I decided to give these a try. They do a good job of cutting down sound levels. Yes, one can turn down the volume but then your guitar doesn't quite sound the same - you lose tone quality. Mind you these cut out some of the higher frequencies so it's a bit of a stopgap for now. I usually can't stand in-ear gadgets but these a fairly comfortable so I can play for a reasonable amount of time without taking a break. They probably work well in noisy environments where hearing details is unimportant. Recommended, if they fit your ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Music!, June 6 2013
Protect you ears these days at party or concert and keep the sound quality! Really enjoy the quality of these ear plugs! Will last you for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at a good price!, April 9 2013
As an audiologist I highly recommend these! Just sounds like you turned the volume down, not muffled. Seems like they're not working until you take them off and you realize how much louder it sounds! Very economical alternative to custom musicians plugs.

Also comes with good information about exactly how much, and what frequencies, these plugs attenuate. The noise reduction rating on other products is very misleading and this is therefore highly appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!, March 31 2013
Everyone should own these, fits nicely, I use it for after-hours clubbing and even after 6+ hours of loud music ears do not ring, they are comfortable and go unnoticed!