I've had my Etymotic ER20's now for almost two years and in that time have been to several shows and a Formula One race. What a difference over the foam plugs and the silicone swimmers plugs I also used to use for concerts.

Published on Dec 14 2012 by Bricktop

3.0 out of 5 stars STANDARD is best for most people
MAKE SURE YOU BUY YOUR OWN PROPER SIZE. I ACCIDENTALLY BOUGHT LARGE. STANDARD is best for most people!!

Other than sizing, it was pretty good in minimizing the concert noise to an acceptable level. I used to get ringing after concerts but with these earplugs, I didn't feel them the next day! I wear them to concerts, clubbing and festivals. As a girl, with long...
Published 11 months ago by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy 5-stars - must have for concertgoers - avoid tinnitus without losing fidelity at shows, Dec 14 2012
Bricktop (Earth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The response reduction isn't flat, but when you can still hear the sibilance of cymbals and hi-hats clearly you know you've got a great product.

IMPORTANT - follow the instructions, these things need to be pushed in to the last rib so that you hear the same in both ears. You'll be tempted at first to slightly pull out the one that sounds like it's more quiet, but this is incorrect, you need to push in more the one that is louder! If they're not in all the way you won't get the advertised reduction and you may also find them to be uncomfortable and hurt your ears. The sound will be better when they're pushed all the way in. When you first start wearing them you'll be tempted to fiddle with them, don't do it! Allow yourself to acclimatize, you'll soon not notice they're in. Additionally you might first think they're too quiet, they're not...again acclimatize! You'll know when you leave a show without whoosing and saying "what?" that you made the right choice.

WARNING - I have had tinnitus for over 2 years now, it is NOT fun. Too many concerts culminating in an Alice in Chains show in 2009 that I forgot my earplugs (swimmers) for and ended up really close to the stacks. I'm so mad. You don't notice it at first when it creeps in although I did because I hate the temporary ringing anyway even though it was really quiet...but it slowly keeps building up and building up. If you love listening to music, and I don't mean at the gym while working out with crappy in ear buds and lossy iTunes but rather if you love kicking back and closing your eyes and REALLY listening to music, tinnitus is incredibly depressing and causes a lot of anxiety.

After over 2 years I've acclimatized but it's a terrible condition to have and I'm determined not to let it get worse. I have ordered a second pair to keep in my car in case I ever forget my earplugs at home. It's that important to have them for every show and/or sporting event from now on.

But yeah, for this price and the fidelity you still get, 5 stars is a no brainer. Thank you ER for this amazing product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you like live music, and don`t want to go deaf. Audiophile earplugs!, May 16 2013
This review is from: Etymotic Research ER20-SMB-C ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs, Standard Fit, Clear Stem with Blue Tip (Health and Beauty)
These earplugs deserve the good reviews and ratings they've gotten on here. I wore them to a recent concert, and the sound with them on was amazing! The sound wasn't muffled, or too quiet - things still sounded good, and I didn't feel like my ears were being constantly pummeled. No need to take these ones out for the good songs, like I usually do. Plus, the earplugs get rid of the distortion you hear with your naked ears from really loud sound. You do have to push them kind of deep into your ears, which feels weird at first, but it's all part of the design. Also, my friend told me she couldn't see them in my ears, so now I can go clubbing without going deaf or looking like a dork. Bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ear plugs for music, Jan. 12 2013
These ear plugs are the best for live music. Unlike the yellow foam/malleable rubber/flange tip construction earplugs, they don't change the actual sound very much. They just make everything quieter.

Pros:
- excellent sound reduction without changing sound of music
- good value
- comes with case with keychain ring

Cons:
- they come in two sizes and it's hard to tell which one to get... these are supposedly the ones that for "most" people but I found the larger ones had a better fit for me [regular sized woman] - the website isn't helpful in this regard, it says that the size of your person cannot determine the size of your ear canals and you should basically order these and hope they ft
- the fit takes some getting used to - they're like putting in higher-end headphones (like shure or etymotics) - you have to shove them in pretty far and twist them around to get a good seal - I don't mind this because I'm used to it from using shures but my sister did not like this at all

Overall:
- highly recommended for anyone who goes to a lot of live shows and cares about preventing hearing damage. I lost my old ones and immediately replaced them right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as intended, Dec 20 2012
I have fairly small ears so I was worried about the fit on these but they were great!

I used these all night at a club and did not wake up with ears ringing like I normally would. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at a good price!, April 9 2013
As an audiologist I highly recommend these! Just sounds like you turned the volume down, not muffled. Seems like they're not working until you take them off and you realize how much louder it sounds! Very economical alternative to custom musicians plugs.

Also comes with good information about exactly how much, and what frequencies, these plugs attenuate. The noise reduction rating on other products is very misleading and this is therefore highly appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Plugs!!, Oct. 1 2014
Awesome.

Wore them to a concert last night. I had thought based on the product name "ER20" that it was 20 db reduction (in fact it is only 12 db).

I was worried this would be not enough as normally when I wear foam plugs is is 23 db or better.

Boy was I wrong. Unlike most foam plugs, these do not need to be babysat once in the ear. They just work and you wind up forgetting they are in. Sound is, unlike foam plugs, clear as a bell... all that seems to be reduced is volume.

Ears did not ring or hurt after.

Would buy them again in a heartbeat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but you'll feel it later., Jan. 16 2015
I normally use "medium" sized suction cups for my earphones. And from what I know, MOST of my friends use the same size, few exceptions for girls, they tend to use size small for theirs (i'm a guy). with that in mind, I had to return the standard size and got a large fit. picture won't tell it well, and the product description saying "it will fit most people" did not apply to ME.
I use this mainly for motorcycling. While riding, the wind noise on highway can deafen you. It occurred to me when I first got a bike and after a long-ish highway ride, I had to say "what? what?" to my friends and Tim Hortons workers few times because of the wind noise. Mind you, you will STILL hear the wind and you will think it's a bother, but imagine how you'll do without one.

After about 30-min of riding your ears being squished to helmet and this plug will start to feel something. It can be an itch or a pinching pain. It's a bit painful for me so I'll need to take break from riding every 1-hour interval.

5.0 out of 5 stars Added years to my hearing, Feb. 17 2014
After much research on the subject, I can confidently say that these earplugs have saved my ears from devastating damage on many occasions, and I own a number of pairs to always make sure I have them on hand.

As a self-described raver, I have, over the years, subjected my hearing to damage from shows. Since wearing these, I have noticed that not only has the bedtime ringing completely gone away, but the occasional daytime ringing I used to get has gone away.

Besides the obvious hearing protection, these are fantastic for any kind of show. Every sound I wanted to hear, that I paid a lot to hear, was unblocked. These do a wonderful job of blocking the harmful sounds, while letting what you want to hear through. From small venue acoustic sets to massive EDM shows, I have put these through their paces dozens of times and they have consistently impressed me. I won't even think about going to a show without these.

My only gripe is that I have lost a couple of the plugs when they were hanging off the included strap. I initially solved that by superglueing them to the strap, but I have now stopped relying on the strap and just put them in my pocket when not in use. They have never accidentally come out of my ear, even when dancing my hardest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product. I have been using these to go ..., June 26 2015
Great product. I have been using these to go to clubs, concerts, and raves for years now.

PROS:
Not that noticeable in a dark setting (club, concert, etc.)
The case is handy
Reduce sound level by 12db
last forever

Cons
Kind of irritating to wear all night
the advertising leads you to believe that it reduces the sound level by 20db (which is awesome) by the nrr is 12db

Conclusion
These are great but 12NRR is a a very big difference from 20NRR. IF you go to a club or EDM show the noise level will probably be louder than 100db so with a 12NRR you are at about 88 which is above safe level. There are a lot of variables such as speaker distance, length of exposure, frequency of attendance to keep in mind. I feel if you frequent these loud events then use foam earplugs. If you only go to these things once in a while then you will be fine with these. I go a couple times a month to dj shows and I use foam earplugs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for concert use., May 14 2014
Reduces the volume of surrounding noise to a more reasonable level, while maintaining the 'impact' of live music and in many ways, made the music sound more clear. I've never had a problem with these falling out or needing adjustment during a heavy metal concert. The following morning after the show, my hearing was normal as usual.