I've had my Etymotic ER20's now for almost two years and in that time have been to several shows and a Formula One race. What a difference over the foam plugs and the silicone swimmers plugs I also used to use for concerts.

Published on Dec 14 2012 by Bricktop

3.0 out of 5 stars STANDARD is best for most people
MAKE SURE YOU BUY YOUR OWN PROPER SIZE. I ACCIDENTALLY BOUGHT LARGE. STANDARD is best for most people!!

Other than sizing, it was pretty good in minimizing the concert noise to an acceptable level. I used to get ringing after concerts but with these earplugs, I didn't feel them the next day! I wear them to concerts, clubbing and festivals. As a girl, with long...
Published 9 months ago by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy 5-stars - must have for concertgoers - avoid tinnitus without losing fidelity at shows, Dec 14 2012
Bricktop (Earth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The response reduction isn't flat, but when you can still hear the sibilance of cymbals and hi-hats clearly you know you've got a great product.

IMPORTANT - follow the instructions, these things need to be pushed in to the last rib so that you hear the same in both ears. You'll be tempted at first to slightly pull out the one that sounds like it's more quiet, but this is incorrect, you need to push in more the one that is louder! If they're not in all the way you won't get the advertised reduction and you may also find them to be uncomfortable and hurt your ears. The sound will be better when they're pushed all the way in. When you first start wearing them you'll be tempted to fiddle with them, don't do it! Allow yourself to acclimatize, you'll soon not notice they're in. Additionally you might first think they're too quiet, they're not...again acclimatize! You'll know when you leave a show without whoosing and saying "what?" that you made the right choice.

WARNING - I have had tinnitus for over 2 years now, it is NOT fun. Too many concerts culminating in an Alice in Chains show in 2009 that I forgot my earplugs (swimmers) for and ended up really close to the stacks. I'm so mad. You don't notice it at first when it creeps in although I did because I hate the temporary ringing anyway even though it was really quiet...but it slowly keeps building up and building up. If you love listening to music, and I don't mean at the gym while working out with crappy in ear buds and lossy iTunes but rather if you love kicking back and closing your eyes and REALLY listening to music, tinnitus is incredibly depressing and causes a lot of anxiety.

After over 2 years I've acclimatized but it's a terrible condition to have and I'm determined not to let it get worse. I have ordered a second pair to keep in my car in case I ever forget my earplugs at home. It's that important to have them for every show and/or sporting event from now on.

But yeah, for this price and the fidelity you still get, 5 stars is a no brainer. Thank you ER for this amazing product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ear plugs for music, Jan. 12 2013
This review is from: Etymotic Research ER20-SMB-C ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs, Standard Fit, Clear Stem with Blue Tip (Health and Beauty)
These ear plugs are the best for live music. Unlike the yellow foam/malleable rubber/flange tip construction earplugs, they don't change the actual sound very much. They just make everything quieter.

Pros:
- excellent sound reduction without changing sound of music
- good value
- comes with case with keychain ring

Cons:
- they come in two sizes and it's hard to tell which one to get... these are supposedly the ones that for "most" people but I found the larger ones had a better fit for me [regular sized woman] - the website isn't helpful in this regard, it says that the size of your person cannot determine the size of your ear canals and you should basically order these and hope they ft
- the fit takes some getting used to - they're like putting in higher-end headphones (like shure or etymotics) - you have to shove them in pretty far and twist them around to get a good seal - I don't mind this because I'm used to it from using shures but my sister did not like this at all

Overall:
- highly recommended for anyone who goes to a lot of live shows and cares about preventing hearing damage. I lost my old ones and immediately replaced them right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you like live music, and don`t want to go deaf. Audiophile earplugs!, May 16 2013
These earplugs deserve the good reviews and ratings they've gotten on here. I wore them to a recent concert, and the sound with them on was amazing! The sound wasn't muffled, or too quiet - things still sounded good, and I didn't feel like my ears were being constantly pummeled. No need to take these ones out for the good songs, like I usually do. Plus, the earplugs get rid of the distortion you hear with your naked ears from really loud sound. You do have to push them kind of deep into your ears, which feels weird at first, but it's all part of the design. Also, my friend told me she couldn't see them in my ears, so now I can go clubbing without going deaf or looking like a dork. Bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as intended, Dec 20 2012
I have fairly small ears so I was worried about the fit on these but they were great!

I used these all night at a club and did not wake up with ears ringing like I normally would. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Plugs!!, Oct. 1 2014
Awesome.

Wore them to a concert last night. I had thought based on the product name "ER20" that it was 20 db reduction (in fact it is only 12 db).

I was worried this would be not enough as normally when I wear foam plugs is is 23 db or better.

Boy was I wrong. Unlike most foam plugs, these do not need to be babysat once in the ear. They just work and you wind up forgetting they are in. Sound is, unlike foam plugs, clear as a bell... all that seems to be reduced is volume.

Ears did not ring or hurt after.

Would buy them again in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for concert use., May 14 2014
Reduces the volume of surrounding noise to a more reasonable level, while maintaining the 'impact' of live music and in many ways, made the music sound more clear. I've never had a problem with these falling out or needing adjustment during a heavy metal concert. The following morning after the show, my hearing was normal as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Even Sound Attenuation for Working Pros, Aug. 8 2014
While other reviewers can tell you about how they are at concerts, let me add a different take.

I used these to partially block sound coming in from a show I was stage managing. I still needed to hear what was going on but it was imperative that I could also still hear my headset. One of these plugs in one ear and the headset on the other was a perfect balance of sound for me to do my job properly. This was a concert in an NHL arena, too so we're not talking about a little church gathering.

In a pinch I had to use these to protect my ears while doing some metal work as well. I would recommend full earplugs for that purpose but that should go without saying. While this is out of scope of the design of these Etymotics, I should still mention that they proected my ears as much as was needed and I never once worried that I might have damaged my hearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend Strongly for Bass/Electronic/Etc shows, Sept. 27 2014
I bought these as an improvement/alternative to wearing foam earplugs to the big shows I frequent. I typically hit up a lot of bass/electronic shows, and hated losing all sound definition with the foamies. These are a brilliant replacement, I could not be happier. I don't feel like they sit terribly far into the ear, but the seal was a weird feeling to get used to. After I had them in for twenty minutes, I forgot about them entirely (something I almost never manage with the foam plugs), and the sound was crystal clear. So clear, in fact, I honestly thought they had fallen out halfway through the night. The only issue I've had is that closer sounds are also dampened, so conversation can be difficult - then again, I'm not at these shows to chat anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good earplugs, Nov. 6 2014
D. Marois (Quebec) - See all my reviews
I have a 50w tube amp and it's very loud for home use. Since I can't afford a proper attenuator right now I decided to give these a try. They do a good job of cutting down sound levels. Yes, one can turn down the volume but then your guitar doesn't quite sound the same - you lose tone quality. Mind you these cut out some of the higher frequencies so it's a bit of a stopgap for now. I usually can't stand in-ear gadgets but these a fairly comfortable so I can play for a reasonable amount of time without taking a break. They probably work well in noisy environments where hearing details is unimportant. Recommended, if they fit your ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Music!, June 6 2013
Protect you ears these days at party or concert and keep the sound quality! Really enjoy the quality of these ear plugs! Will last you for years!