5.0 out of 5 stars The Departed
Published on March 20 2007 by Marcia

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK Movie.
I did'nt mind this movie but Martin Scorsese has done much better work in the past. The story is quite good, and the plot is complexed enough to keep you interested but I found that it seemed to drag on at times. In the end it left me a bit cold and I'd be lying if I said otherwise. Its worth watching, but keep your expectations in check.
Published on Nov. 15 2007 by Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars The Departed, March 20 2007
Marcia (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Departed (Full Screen) (DVD)
Scorse Scores again! This one is a collector item. As a gangster film it stands with Goodfellas and as a political police film it stands with LA Confidential. DiCaprio and Matt Damon are well cast as cops because they manage to look like relations, one a good cop playing a bad cop, the other a bad cop playing a good cop or are they both? Add Jack Nicholson who clearly plays the role of a 'godfather' type gang lord also has a twist at the end that will leave the viewer thinking. This is not just a thrill ride. It's not quite as good as The Godfather but it's close.

Whether intentional or accidental this movie also speaks to the confused American political situation. Who is the good guy? The characters are multi-dementional and the motivations of each character and the relationships of the gang members and the cops are intricate and require consideration. This one is 'a thinker' as well as excellent entertainment. It deserved best picture. I've seen Babel, too, and I'd vote for The Departed. I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Scorsese films, Feb. 29 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Departed (2006)
Crime, Drama, 151 minutes
Directed by Martin Scorsese
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson

I have heard a lot of criticism for The Departed because it's based on the Hong Kong film, Infernal Affairs (2002). While I'm usually against remakes of any kind, there are a few that were worth the effort. Another criticism is that Scorsese won the Oscar for Best Director for this instead of several superior films. I understand that argument, but it shouldn't be a reason to downgrade the film. I must admit I haven't seen Infernal Affairs, and there are still a few Scorsese films that I haven't got around to, but I am certain that The Departed is my favorite from the many I have seen.

The Departed works for me because of Scorsese and the incredible cast. DiCaprio and Damon are both superb in their roles and both are among my favorite modern actors. Jack Nicholson dominates the screen as Frank Costello and Ray Winstone is perfect as his main sidekick. This is also the first film in which I noticed Vera Farmiga. The supporting cast includes Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen. What's not to like?

The movie has a complicated plot and it's a pleasure to see it unfold. There isn't much action, but the few scenes that do contain action are violent and shocking. The movie is enhanced by the dialogue which partly explains why it is 50 minutes longer than Infernal Affairs. The characters have considerable depth and I always come away from the movie feeling that I know them.

The Departed won Oscars for Best Director, Film Editing, Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture. Although it didn't win any acting awards, there wasn't a bad performance from any of the cast. Writing this now, I realize that I need to see the movie again soon. It's definitely one of my favorites and easily in my Top 20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Departed lives?, Dec 18 2014
This review is from: DEPARTED (DVD)
I decided to take a chance on purchasing the departed movie dvd from my Walmart job around three to four weeks ago because it was only five dollars and featured the images of these actors known for their acting talent; Leonardo dicaprio, jack Nicholson, matt damon, and mark Wahlberg. Jack Nicholson plays a mobster character of frank costello who is shown quoting I don’t want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me. Matt damon is shown being one the character of colin sullivan who has known the mobster characer since he was a child. This is because nicholson’s mobster character is shown in a moment of having a heart through buying groceries for the chlld, the movie illustrates the uncomfortable but harsh reality on how poverty even within the united states can be a dangerous breeding ground for more crime if the children of those environments do not have enough positive role models in their life. Leonaordo dicaprio’s character of billy costigan becomes a future coworker of both Collin Sullivan (matt damon) and sean digman (mark Wahlberg) within the boston police departments in order to get the mobster frank Costello (jack Nicholson) arrested. The movie trailers for the departed dvd are the painted veil starring Naomi waits and Edward Norton, the reaping starring Hilary swank, 300 starring Gerald butler, and blood diamond starring Leonardo dicaprio, Jennifer Connelly, and djimon hounson. The departed is also great for those who enjoy watching movies by Leonardo dicaprio, jack niecholson, matt damon, and mark Wahlberg because their character portrayals factor significantly in the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leonardo..., May 28 2010
Di Caprio (Costigan) is superb in this movie and by far the best thing about it. His performance is outstanding. Damon plays his role (Sullivan) in somewhat pedestrian fashion but it is tough to have to be compared this closely to DiCaprio and he is predictably outshone. Alec Baldwin similarly fades into the background thanks to Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen's excellent acting. I'm not that big of a fan of Nicholson (as Costello) in his usual psycho on the edge persona but he does seem to have the particular characterization down pat after a career of playing it. The plot weakness is that Costigan is investigated at every step and they know everything about his family. Sullivan has been friends with Costello since he was 8, and they don't even seem to have investigated him. That doesn't add up. However the movie is entertaining if you can ignore that somewhat significant flaw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cops and Robbers at its Best!,, June 23 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Departed (Full Screen) (DVD)
It's no secret that "The Departed" is a remake of the successful Hong Kong movie. I've watched it several months ago and was very impressed. After watching "The Departed", I realized that I wanted watch it again. It is a completely new movie, spiritually. The affiliation in the screenplay to the original one is unavoidable, but Martin Scorsese did a great job in substantiating the cop and criminal story with his own interpretation.

This is probably different from other Martin Scorsese's movies but it's truly enjoyable. It takes a Scorsese to gather such a crowd of stars and herd them into a consistent and coherent film like this. Although movies like "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas" are classics, and very very well made films, "The Departed" is incredible from the amazing cast, interesting soundtrack, to the remarkable editing.

The real standouts of the film are DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, and Jack Nicholson. Leonardo really does give one of the best performances of the year. He plays his character with an anxious fidgetiness and a bunch of controlled fear and anger. Matt Damon gives a criminally underrated performance. His character isn't entirely bad, but I feel that he does the deceptive things he does out of honor and devotion to his 'Dad'. Jack Nicholson is a constant threat in this film. His tenacity and unpredictability strikes fear in the hearts of everyone he comes in contact with. He demands respect and he gets it. His chemistry with Leo and Matt is top-notch. Mark Wahlberg plays an A-Hole in every form of the word. If he doesn't know you, he doesn't like you and doesn't get to know you and Wahlberg plays it with perfect arrogance. Vera Farmiga holds her own on the screen with DiCaprio and Damon, but she is easily forgotten. Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, and Ray Winstone add great veteran backup. Props to Marty.

This is easily one of Scorsese's finest efforts and one of the best films of 2006. I can honestly say that Scorsese brilliantly makes "The Departed" look like an original and genuine chef-d'oeuvre, whom only he has the secret to. I highly recommended this movie as well as "Infernal Affairs."

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest thrillers of this generation, July 6 2007
Matthew King - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Departed (Full Screen) (DVD)
Truly a great film, deserving of best picture of the year 2006. An epic gathering of talent such as Dicaprio, Damon, Baldwin, Nicholson and Wahlberg lift this film above other thrillers of the genre. Not only is the acting top-notch but the story is fascinating, and we are kept guessing as to whether or not the two "rats" on each side of the fence (Dicaprio masquerading as a mobster, Damon masquerading as an honest cop) will be uncovered. You can't go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant acting by all, May 14 2014
leonardo decaprio, matt damon, jack nicholson..together. the best in acting in one of most intriguing films ever. i loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie, April 7 2014
Larry Smet (Delhi, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Leonardo Decaprio was very good in this movie kept you on the edge of the seat, will be watching it again

4.0 out of 5 stars The Departed, April 5 2014
coccotoro - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was a fast-paced action movie with the mob and police with a mole inside the police department. This movie kept you guessing right up to the end. Great actors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, No regrets, Jan. 2 2014
I love this movie and it's awesome to get the DVD and Blu Ray combo. I think it's worth it. Especially at his reasonable price.

The Departed (Limited Edition SteelBook) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 11.99