5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Scorsese films
Crime, Drama, 151 minutes
Directed by Martin Scorsese
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson

Published on Feb. 29 2012 by Steven Aldersley

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK Movie.
I did'nt mind this movie but Martin Scorsese has done much better work in the past. The story is quite good, and the plot is complexed enough to keep you interested but I found that it seemed to drag on at times. In the end it left me a bit cold and I'd be lying if I said otherwise. Its worth watching, but keep your expectations in check.
Published on Nov. 15 2007 by Paul

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Scorsese films, Feb. 29 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Departed (2006)
Crime, Drama, 151 minutes
Directed by Martin Scorsese
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson

I have heard a lot of criticism for The Departed because it's based on the Hong Kong film, Infernal Affairs (2002). While I'm usually against remakes of any kind, there are a few that were worth the effort. Another criticism is that Scorsese won the Oscar for Best Director for this instead of several superior films. I understand that argument, but it shouldn't be a reason to downgrade the film. I must admit I haven't seen Infernal Affairs, and there are still a few Scorsese films that I haven't got around to, but I am certain that The Departed is my favorite from the many I have seen.

The Departed works for me because of Scorsese and the incredible cast. DiCaprio and Damon are both superb in their roles and both are among my favorite modern actors. Jack Nicholson dominates the screen as Frank Costello and Ray Winstone is perfect as his main sidekick. This is also the first film in which I noticed Vera Farmiga. The supporting cast includes Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen. What's not to like?

The movie has a complicated plot and it's a pleasure to see it unfold. There isn't much action, but the few scenes that do contain action are violent and shocking. The movie is enhanced by the dialogue which partly explains why it is 50 minutes longer than Infernal Affairs. The characters have considerable depth and I always come away from the movie feeling that I know them.

The Departed won Oscars for Best Director, Film Editing, Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture. Although it didn't win any acting awards, there wasn't a bad performance from any of the cast. Writing this now, I realize that I need to see the movie again soon. It's definitely one of my favorites and easily in my Top 20.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cops and Robbers at its Best!,, June 23 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Departed (Full Screen) (DVD)
It's no secret that "The Departed" is a remake of the successful Hong Kong movie. I've watched it several months ago and was very impressed. After watching "The Departed", I realized that I wanted watch it again. It is a completely new movie, spiritually. The affiliation in the screenplay to the original one is unavoidable, but Martin Scorsese did a great job in substantiating the cop and criminal story with his own interpretation.

This is probably different from other Martin Scorsese's movies but it's truly enjoyable. It takes a Scorsese to gather such a crowd of stars and herd them into a consistent and coherent film like this. Although movies like "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas" are classics, and very very well made films, "The Departed" is incredible from the amazing cast, interesting soundtrack, to the remarkable editing.

The real standouts of the film are DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, and Jack Nicholson. Leonardo really does give one of the best performances of the year. He plays his character with an anxious fidgetiness and a bunch of controlled fear and anger. Matt Damon gives a criminally underrated performance. His character isn't entirely bad, but I feel that he does the deceptive things he does out of honor and devotion to his 'Dad'. Jack Nicholson is a constant threat in this film. His tenacity and unpredictability strikes fear in the hearts of everyone he comes in contact with. He demands respect and he gets it. His chemistry with Leo and Matt is top-notch. Mark Wahlberg plays an A-Hole in every form of the word. If he doesn't know you, he doesn't like you and doesn't get to know you and Wahlberg plays it with perfect arrogance. Vera Farmiga holds her own on the screen with DiCaprio and Damon, but she is easily forgotten. Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, and Ray Winstone add great veteran backup. Props to Marty.

This is easily one of Scorsese's finest efforts and one of the best films of 2006. I can honestly say that Scorsese brilliantly makes "The Departed" look like an original and genuine chef-d'oeuvre, whom only he has the secret to. I highly recommended this movie as well as "Infernal Affairs."

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant acting by all, May 14 2014
leonardo decaprio, matt damon, jack nicholson..together. the best in acting in one of most intriguing films ever. i loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie, April 7 2014
Larry Smet (Delhi, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Leonardo Decaprio was very good in this movie kept you on the edge of the seat, will be watching it again

4.0 out of 5 stars The Departed, April 5 2014
This was a fast-paced action movie with the mob and police with a mole inside the police department. This movie kept you guessing right up to the end. Great actors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, No regrets, Jan. 2 2014
I love this movie and it's awesome to get the DVD and Blu Ray combo. I think it's worth it. Especially at his reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cop movie, Dec 28 2013
A. Baril "Muzik_fanatic" (Canada) - See all my reviews
Very good movie, I recommend it to anyone who likes cop and action movies. Leonardo Dicaprio, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars I truly Phenominal Film, at a reddiculkously low price - was in $6.087 I think!???, Dec 19 2013
I truly Phenominal Film, at a reddiculkously low price - was in $6.97 I think!???

Delivery was AMAZINGLY Fast as well!

Bravo Amazon.ca - You;ve done it again! :-)

-= KaptainCanada =-

-= K C =-

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the departed!, Nov. 20 2013
This is a great movie. A great cast of actors. Everyone I know who's seen it, says it's a must see. If you haven't seen it, do so today!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great crime thriller, Aug. 9 2013
Toni (Mission, BC) - See all my reviews
This product comes with just a single Blu-ray copy of the movie. No DVD, no digital copy, no Ultraviolet.

I'd recommend this to anyone who's a fan of crime dramas or fans of one of the three main actors (Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Matt Damon).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Departed (Limited Edition SteelBook) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.99