5.0 out of 5 stars "It's about time we had some stability around here."
Published on July 13 2004 by D. Knouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Stunning performances makes film worth effort
Director Steven Spielberg has the very nasty habit of undertaking deep subjects and then trivializing them with a simpering sentimentality more appropriate to a second-rate Walt Disney film than the actual subject at hand. To make matters worse, with THE COLOR PURPLE he also dumbs-down Alice Walker's brilliantly story of a depression-era black lesbian's slow and painful...
Published on Jan. 4 2002 by Gary F. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's about time we had some stability around here.", July 13 2004
D. Knouse (vancouver, washington United States) - See all my reviews
This film received 11 Oscar Nominations back in 1985, won none of them(Shame on you, Academy voters!), and really should have won Best Picture over "Out of Africa." Whoopi Goldberg never got another role like this one, showing her incredible and untapped acting talent by way of Steven Spielberg's inspired and altogether ambitious direction. Mr. Spielberg was not even nominated for Best Director(Shame on you, Academy voters!). It was great to hear that he did win the Director's Guild Award(handed out by his peers), but this horrible oversight still needles me to this day. Back to the acting. Oprah Winfrey was given an Oscar nomination, as was Margaret Avery, but there are so many stunning performances here from the entire cast that pointing out any standout performances is nearly impossible. There is also some clever film editing(certainly the most under-rated facet of filmmaking), that keeps the film constantly fresh and the story moving forward with some fantastic cinematography. The only thing that breaks the continuity is that the character "Celie" is played by two different actresses, while her sister "Nettie" is played by a single actress both at a young age and when she is older. It is really a small discrepancy given that both actresses that play "Celie" are excellent(in particular, Whoopi Goldberg). For those who know only Whoopi's fairly lame films like "Burglar," I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised by her amazing work here. There are many moments in the film that are so genuinely touching and heartfelt that by the end of the final scene I suddenly realized that it never felt so good to cry. This is easily one of my favorite "Spielberg" films. Everything about this movie is gorgeous! Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quel beau film!, March 10 2014
Ce film de Spielberg est selon moi un de ses meilleurs et la prestation des acteurs excellente. J'avais vu ce film il y a bien des années et ce fut un pur plaisir de le visionner à nouveau.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time greatest film achievements, Nov. 7 2013
This review is from: Color Purple [Blu-ray] [Import] (Blu-ray)
This movie is incredible no matter how many times I watch it, it is so moving, so brilliant I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars souvenir d'enfance, May 7 2013
Ce film est un souvenir d'enfance que je me devais d'avoir. Je pourrrais qui sait le partager avec ma famille. De plus cette histoire montre bien le portrait cliché et tabou qui existe dans la communauté noire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite movies, Feb. 21 2013
My mother really loves it and both fried green tomatoes and the colour purple are her two favourite movies she could just sit there and watch them over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best movies ever!, Nov. 18 2012
There are not many movies with an all African-American cast. It just shows great talent and makes the viewer have very strong emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars the color purple, June 1 2012
This is a great movie. We have watched it many times on vhs. It should have won many awards. All the actors played the parts very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Inspiring Movie., May 13 2004
Ryne Williams (Cleveland, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Usually when people hear the names Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey, we usually think of Day Time Talk Shows and comedic film roles. Both women as well as the other cast of the film deliver awesome performances as African Americans fighting to survive in a predominately white town. The movie will make you have a new take on life no matter what race you are. It teaches you respect and loyalty, as well as passion for the people you love. If you are a fan of Forrest Gump and other movies that whisk you away to different eras, you will love this. One of Spieldberg's best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the novel, but a good film, April 13 2004
Edward Aycock (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Alice Walker writes in "The Same River Twice" that the movie initially greatly disappointed her. Those looking for a faithful adapatation of the novel won't find it here. The characters and much of the dialogue are right out of the book but take on new form. The film needs to be appreciated for what it is: an adaptation. For the true powerful story of Celie and her sister Nettie, the novel is hard to beat.
That said, Spielberg uses good visuals for the film, and the acting is uniformly good. The actors who played Harpo and Shug seemed to have vanished from memory but Goldberg, Glover and Winfrey are very strong.
One note: I could have used a little restraint on the score. Every scene is punctuated by background music and silence would have been more effective. The score just increases the story to un-Walkerlike melodramatic proportions. The key to the story is that Celie's story is small but in the end, is about life in its entirety. We are so front and center with Celie to begin with that we know that there will be some bombastic finish. (And we are treated to at least two overblown finales, the first being Shug in the church.)
If you loved the movie, and it appears that many do, read the novel and get ready for a different but perhaps even more satisfying experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Mister... You suuuu is Ugly,,,, Everything you done to me, I already done to you, Nov. 14 2007
Recently I was at HMV and came across The Color Purple.. It hit me and I realized CRAP I don't have this in my collection. I also was very surprised when I got home to tell my my wife what I bought and she never read the book or saw the movie. I had seen the film as a little boy at 8-9 years old. As I was on the subway reading the back of the cover, and to my amazement I remember the story line and I can visualize all the characters, Mister, Celie, Shug, Nettie, and also remembered the Mail Box and to me had it own unique character.

I then realized that The Color Purple meant more to me then I thought. Its part of my childhood. As I recalled the movie in my head I realized that I didn't forget the characters. Usually you remember 1 or 2 at most when you're a kid. But the way that Spielberg filmed the movie, which I didn't know, WoW. You'll learn more in the special features, really interesting about the cast and the other.

I haven't seen the film in 20 years but I knew where the dramatic parts were to come, and poke my wife to get ready. As a man, I think all men who saw the film had to cry. Because Mister was either your father, uncle, brother/ in- law, or Granddad, and you hated those characteristics. And you can also see how Celie can be your mom, sister/ in-law, aunt or grandma. The movie is a must see but very hard to watch as a family. Your drawn into the realism of the characters, and the harshness of the story. The story is very obscured in the sense that everyone in the world of any race can relate too. But you don't think someone will write a book about the sensitivity and then do a movie. The film is fictional but we know things like this happen then and now.

I also want to mention the film was nominated for 11 Oscars and didn't even win 1. Not 1, and I wonder why people think the Academy is racist. This is like the first time Hollywood has made an all African American cast adopted from a African American women who the Pulitzer Prize for the book. Giving an Oscar to The Color Purple was and should've been automatic. Another shame and embarrassment to the Academy. If anything at least Best Picture. I believe everyone who knows The Color Purple automatically visualizes the cover of the movie and sees the shadow of Whoopi on the chair. Reason is when you saw the cover you may have forgotten about it, but in the film Spielberg makes you see the transition of young Celie and mature Celie just from that picture where you anticipate to see again then 2nd time you watch the film. Absolutely what started Oprah's career and Whoopi. Made a star of Danny Glover who also should have won an Oscar for his unbelievable performance.

The film is originally adapted from a book by Alice Walker. The film is about Celie a young black woman, who is abused by her step-farther and becomes pregnant by him, who promptly sells the baby. Celie is later quickly married off at 15 to a man that considers her to be worthless and soon the abuse occurs again. She has become a slave to her husband, there is some joy when Nettie her sister comes to stay but soon is forced out by mister (celie's husband). Celie although devastated by their separation, finds some comfort in visiting friends, but her battle with her husband continues. The only hope she keeps is thinking about Nettie her children and speaking to God.. The film is touching and beautifully done, It is a timeless classic, powerful and moving. Definitely one to watch.. You will remember these characters for life Guranteed

ARRAY(0x1011dc90)