5.0 out of 5 stars Big Kurt Russell Fan
Loved this movie when I first saw it on tv. Didn't see it on tv for some time so I bought it and it's a great addition to my collection.
Published 5 months ago by Teresa

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a surprise........
Published on Jan. 23 2004 by Elite14

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Kurt Russell Fan, Nov. 16 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars good movie, June 14 2013
This review is from: Soldier [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
this movie is a good all around movie, with enough action and a story. line as well. a must eatch

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining with a tad of morality, Aug. 31 2004
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Sergeant Todd is the "an old model soldier" is disposed of in a trash heap on a foreign world.

This world is occupied by docile, benevolent, friendly people, whom survive off then heap.

The people find Sergeant Todd and assuming he is like them befriend him. Soon they find that he is engineered differently ad shun him. Todd also is confused as the people do not act like normal soldiers. And even they discard him.

The powers that be decide that these people would make perfect fodder for training the newer model soldiers.

The people ashamed of their shunning of Todd decide to invest time in him to teach him their ways.

But will he be able to change or at least understand their society?

Worse still will he become a bad influence?

Soon they find that they need his protection. Looks the planet is going to be used for war games and they are the vermin to be distorted.

Will and can Todd help?

Kurt Russell as Todd, takes this from what could have been a two dimensional future shoot-um-up and makes it a multidimensional story that one can relate to.

It is interesting how we use Sci-fi to mask or enhance moral tales to make them palatable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story, April 17 2014
tornitons - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Soldier [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This one is entertaining from the start until the end. Maybe the villain thing is a bit too obvious and omnipresent, the whole movie remains great. The characters are fine, the actors are good and the context is subjugating. It really pleased the Sci-Fi amateur in me. Does not disserve 5 stars when compared to Star Trek, Oblivion or Dark City. Still worth watching again in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stark and subtle tail, May 3 2004
George L. Bush "bushgl" (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I loved this movie. This movie plot has been done before many, many times. Intimidating fighter is thrust into different culture and learns to value it and realizes what he has been missing all this time. What I liked about this movie is the programming the soldiers went through seemed realistic and very possible. I think most people that make movies with the same plot always make the mistake of have the main characters changing too much. This has always seemed unrealistic to me, and quite frankly a little insulting. This movie lets you see the changes in subtle little ways Kurt Russell acts. I would say subtle describes this whole movie. Instead of pounding points into the viewers face, it lets you make your own conclusions on how you would feel if you lived a similar life.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite action movie...not saying much, actually, Feb. 26 2004
There are several reviews here which provide a perfectly adequate overview of the movie as a whole, but I want to put in a plug for what is, to me, its greatest appeal. This was one of the first DVDs I ever watched, and it has the first commentary track I ever listened to.
I am a tremendous admirer of Jason Isaacs, who plays a sneering bully (Col. Mekum) in this movie. His role is quite small, but he joins Paul Anderson on the director's commentary and reveals himself to be a man of unusual intelligence and wit. Anderson and the producer, I think, get completely absorbed in self-congratulatory Fanboy minutiae, but I thought Isaacs was hysterically funny. An unusual treat for that reason.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a surprise........, Jan. 23 2004
Elite14 (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Kurt Russell as an action star? I know that sounds funny, but after you see this movie, you will believe it. I will admit, I thought this movie was going to bite it hard when it came out. I thought it looked cool, but it had "rental" written all over it. After seeing it years ago, I came away entertained. Which is all that really matters, if you think about it. Now that you can get it for a nice price, I would recommend checking it out.
Kurt Russell plays a bio-engineered soldier. He is chosen from birth and trained to kill. That is his only life he knows. He is shown gruesome violence as a young child. He is trained to have no mercy and no remorse. He is a killing machine made by some sort of government. They take children from birth and literally train them to become ruthless soldiers. When they get to their adult years, they are sent out on the battlefield. They are then the perfect soldiers. Of course, there are some downsides to this. They have no social skills. They have never had emotions toward other human beings. And this is where the movie seperates itself from being a 'B-movie'.
Over time, a new super-soldier is created. One that is literally made from the DNA up. This is where the conflict of the movie arises. Sgt. Todd's (Russell) squad is being replaced by a squad of advanced soldiers that are even better than Russell's. They are led by Caine (Jason Scott Lee). Lee plays a pretty decent villianous character. Even though he is just following orders. The orders are coming down from a higher ranking officer (played by Jason Isaacs). Isaacs seems to enjoy this role of playing the main villian. He never goes over the top, but he definately makes you not like him. Gary Busey actually plays a character that is NOT insane. He plays a general (or something) that is the head of the old soldiers. He is reluctant to switch over to the newer soldiers without them ever being tested in the field. Isaac's character overrules him.
So, Russell is dumped like trash onto some planet that has been 'abandoned' (or so they think), and it only used for waste disposal. Upon waking, he is found by a group of outlanders who are living on the plant. They have formed a sort of colony and live peacefully without interference. It is here that Sgt. Todd must learn some human emotion and traits to live with normal human beings. Of course the bad guys want to test out the new brand of soldiers. They send them on (what they think) is a routine "sweep & clear" mission. Little do they know that Sgt. Todd is still alive and is willing to show them a thing or two.
This is an action movie with some heart to it. I thought this was going to be a Rambo-type movie with Russell in the lead role. I was wrong. He defends his new friends and fights for their survival. Along the way, he learns what it's like to care for other people. One of these people is a woman (the insanely HOT Connie Nielson). Her husband was one of the first to befriend Todd. After his death, he takes it upon himself to protect her and her son.
I liked this movie quite a bit. It's kinda low budget and it is an action film. It's not going to win any awards, but it's way better than I thought it would be. I was surprised how big Kurt Russell got for this movie. He only has like 10-15 lines the whole flick and he plays the 'commando' character well. Honestly, I would not pay $20 for this movie, but for $10 it's a steal. It's a fun, yet simple action movie with a nice side of emotion. When I saw the trailer, I was wondering why the hell Russell would want to do a picture like this. After seeing it, I know why.
Not many special features here to speak of. You get a commentary, production notes, and a trailer. That's it. You can find the movie for around $6.99 now, so I guess I can't complain about the lack of supplements.

4.0 out of 5 stars High-class B movie, Jan. 17 2004
R. Wallace "Bob Wallace" (St. Louis, Mo USA) - See all my reviews
Kurt Russell is very much an underrated actor. He can do humor (Big Trouble in Little China, and the Escape From movies) and now it turns out he can be serious. Here he does it with a minimum of words--I doubt he says 50 words in this film. Everything he does, he does with his expressions. I found the first part of the movie the best part; after that, when he turns into Rambo in Space, the whole thing degenerates a bit. Still,it's an excellent film, with a truly wonderful song in the middle of the movie that came out of nowhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than you may have heard, Jan. 3 2004
John S. Ryan "Scott Ryan" (Cuyahoga Falls, OH) - See all my reviews
Boy, I'm sure glad I watched this movie _before_ I found out I wasn't supposed to like it. I don't understand the disappointment; this is a well-made and satisfying movie.
I've said before that Kurt Russell is an extremely underrated actor, and he proves it again here. This is a demanding role.
Sgt. Todd is a genetically-engineered supersoldier, indoctrinated from birth as part of something called the 'Adam Project'. A seasoned combat veteran, Todd is a highly trained killing machine who has never known any other way of life.
Yet during the movie, we're supposed to gather that he's starting to feel some 'normal' human emotions and having trouble reconciling his past with his present. Somehow Todd has to put all this across to the audience with a bare minimum of dialogue and an absolutely flat-affect delivery -- rather like Arnold in the _Terminator_ films, with the difference that Todd is _not_ a cyborg or robot, but a human being with a deep inner life that he doesn't know how to express.
I don't know who could have played the part other than Russell. I can't think of another actor who could manage to convey so much with an expressionless face and _also_ be believable as a pumped-up supersoldier. (And Russell is seriously pumped up for this film.)
The story is well-crafted, too. Written by David Webb Peoples, one of the screenwriters on _Blade Runner_, this film is conceived as something of a sequel to that one and partakes of its darkness and moral ambiguity. But for all that, it zips along nicely under Paul Anderson's direction (despite some overuse of slo-mo).
Oh, there's some derivative stuff that we can charitably regard as 'homage' if we like. There's a very heavy nod toward _First Blood_ (and in general a strong evocation of the U.S.'s treatment of Vietnam veterans). And certainly this supersoldier thing has been done before (although _Universal Soldier_, _RoboCop_, and _The Six Million Dollar Man_ were cyborgs rather than genetically engineered Uebermenschen). That just means we're dealing with a very good B movie rather than something breathtakingly new.
Some viewers have suggested that Jason Scott Lee isn't very effectively used in this film. I disagree; I think he's downright fearsome in his single-minded lethality. (As you'll learn in the first few minutes of the film, he's one of a team of _super_-supersoldiers that are supposed to render Sgt. Todd and his guys obsolete.)
The SF backdrop is interesting and unforced although not terribly well fleshed out. All I can say without spoiling things is that there's a planet in the Arcadia sector that Earth is using as a junkyard, and that there's a human society living on it that nobody on Earth knows about.
The rest of the cast does well (including Michael Chiklis). Watch especially for a nice job by Gary Busey. You'll probably also like the Joel McNeely score, which doesn't break any new ground (and certainly doesn't hoist the film to the stratosphere as David Arnold's does _Stargate_) but nevertheless does its job adequately.
Oh -- and don't forget to be awed by the hauntingly gorgeous piece of music in Scene 11. It's 'Night Ride Across the Caucasus' by Loreena McKennitt and it's on her CD _The Book of Secrets_.

3.0 out of 5 stars Russell is great and he keeps this at bay, Dec 5 2003
Michael Bolts (superior, wiusa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soldier (VHS Tape)
filled with some great action scenes including the part where Russell emerges out of the water and guns down a lot of guards. but the laging is the other people like Jason Issaacs and Gary Busey. for Russell fans and he's really not talkative that much in this one up until the point where he talks.

ARRAY(0xb3181690)

Soldier (Sous-titres français) [Import]
Soldier (Sous-titres français) [Import] by Paul W.S. Anderson (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 6.72 CDN$ 6.60