4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertized, very limited canadian area codes .
Ordered this to compare against Magicjack .I prefer the call quality of netTalk DUO and the fact it can be connected to router directly not needing a computer on at all times .Setup was very simple .There's not alot of area codes available yet for Canada , Here's the list of Canadian area codes for nettalk duo as of March 2011 :

BC : 778 ( Vancouver)
AB...
Published on April 6 2011 by Quagmire

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Service from Nettalk
The device by itself is not bad. But there are big problems with Nettalk company.
1- They are not honest. They have Canadian web site (with prices that are already 50% more expensive than US website), but when you purchase any service on the Canadian website you will be billed in US$.
2- There is practically no customer service. The incoming calls in Canada has...
Published 23 months ago by Uncle J

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away.. please stay away., Oct. 30 2013
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I have been using or more accurately not using NetTalk for almost a year and I have had multiple problems. The first incident was my NetTalk Duo WiFi kept hanging and no calls would come in or could be initiated even though there was dial tone. I was finally able to get a tech support rep - after hours of waiting - who downloaded new firmware and it was better however still required occasional power cycles to restore. Next my NetTalk Duo unit died and since it was still within the store warranty period I was able to exchange it. That required a call to TS (more hours of wait time) to re-initialize my service on the new unit. Again I ran into hanging issues and required a firmware upgrade. Then in April 2013 calls stopped coming in. NetTalk posted an alert that stated there was a fiber cut in the Upstate NY area affecting Canadian customers... this lasted almost two weeks so it was obviously not a fiber cut. It turned out to be a problem with NetTalk not maintaining a large group of phone numbers meaning many subscribers lost their phone number and required a new one - major hassle and NetTalk lied about the cause. I requested and received a new number. Next in July 2013 my NetTalk unit failed again, no power, no LEDS, verified the cables the DC supply and everything... it absolutely was dead. I opened a ticket explained this and the Tech responded to connect it to your computer so new firmware (the magic fix) could be loaded. I responded again stating the unit is dead... I repeat dead. Tech response was to hook it to my computer and log into the unit and open up access to TS so they can trouble shoot. I again stated it was dead and I required a new unit. There were emails from their support however none addressed the issue or the solution - send me a new unit. Well now it's almost November and still nothing. They won't respond and ignore my requests. I don't and won't use NetTalk anymore or ever and I am only spending this time and effort to tell all to avoid this company like the plague and the frustration inherent in their service and support or should I say, lack there of.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy their service/device, Aug. 20 2013
Ava Rogoyska (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I wanted to save on my landline and decided to either use Magic Jack or Net Talk Duo or Oma Telo.
Somehow reviews I read were more in favour of Net Talk Duo.
Now I know, I should have been more thorough in my research :(

I bought the device from BestBuy and started using it.
After a few days it became obvious the service was very unreliable.
Dropped line, busy signal, poor voice quality.
My internet speed is good, I tested it and generally am very happy about my cable connection.
After about two weeks returned the device to BestBuy.

If you are curious about using voice over internet, then please try some other device/service.
Give it a few good weeks of trial and test until you decide to get rid of your landline.
Good quality internet connection is a must. Please test your internet connection for VoiP first.
Try, for example, [...] Look for others to compare results.
Once you are confident, that your internet connection delivers good results for VoiP, you may give a try/test to one of the services/devices.

In my opinion Net Talk Duo is not even worth trying.
Also Net Talk Duo customer service is TERRIBLE.

For now I use only a cell phone.
Miss not having a landline. One day I may give it another try. This time it will be most likely Oma Telo from Costco, because Costco has such a fair return policy and because Oma Telo appears to be one of the better ones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok when it works., April 26 2013
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Product was easy to setup. Area codes are limited. I live in North Bay, Ontario but locals recognize my number as Sudbury, Ontario and question me about it all the time. They are correct from North Bay this is a long distance number. When I make long distance calls I can expect good quality maybe 60% of the time on the first try. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries to get a clear line. When I make long distance calls longer than 1/2 an hour they get cut off with no warning. Currently it has been one week since anyone has been able to call into this phone. NetTalk acknowledges there is a problem and engineers are working on it. Most of my family members have Rogers cellphones and they have never been able to call this phone and have it connect. 90% of the time I have issues calling them using this product. I just spent 38 minutes on the phone calling customer service, I was told by whoever picked up that he was located in Florida. They have no idea how much longer this is going to last. Best he could tell me was that all customers will receive an email once it is fixed. NOT IMPRESSED I never received an email to inform me in the first place that there was a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Canadians ......Stay away from NetTalk it never worked., April 22 2013
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Canadians ......Stay away from NetTalk which never worked in Canada.

If I was to rate their service in the last 16 months I would give them 0/5 with lack of communication and poor customer service ........STAY AWAY... there service has not been working in Canada for over a week with NO 911 service or NO incoming calls been received and outgoing calls rarely work. You have to log in on their Internet forums to discover why the service constantly doesn't work from other user complaining since they don't inform you.

However you will get constant junk emails requesting that you activate auto renewal payments .. I will be porting out..

Here is a example of forum post about their network issue.

"Canadian incoming issues as of 4/18/2013

We are currently experiencing an outage that is currently affecting some of our Canadian Customers. Our underlying carrier had a fiber cut which is affecting incoming calls. The technicians are currently in the field repairing the cut fiber connection. We apologize for the inconvenience."

"This notice is to inform you that currently you are still able to send and receive calls, but due to an error by our vendor that provides our 911 service, you will be required to use an alternative method to make 911 calls."

2.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works....Not reliable though., March 15 2012
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I have it connected in London, ON; there are only limited area codes available. I have it connected via Rogers internet. It is good when it works - sound quality is reasonably good and clear - better than the cell phone at times.

The problem is that there are times when we cannot dial out - we have noticed that this is typically when calling a Rogers phone number (such as cell phone, landline) - you just hear an engaged tone when we know that the cellphone is not engaged (I have tried to call my own 2 Rogers cell phones). There is no problem calling other numbers at such times or receiving calls including Rogers incoming. Not sure what the problem is - I wonder if Rogers somehow blocks these outgoing calls. (And there are no issues with out internet connection at these times.) As a result the reliability is questionable and it cannot be relied on as the sole phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absent Customer Service - Unacceptable, Feb. 7 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Just as the other reviewers are saying, there is no customer service.

I posted a detailed service ticket with them in December, and heard nothing from them until February. Even so, it was an email with no suggestions to remedy the problem. They really wanted to know if they could close the ticket. I have since responded twice, and heard nothing back.

UPDATED - As of June 5, 2014 (more than 6 months) it is still not solved. I did get an email from them today saying they read my review on this site. Maybe this is where all trouble tickets should be posted. It gets their attention.

UPDATED - As of July 7, 2014 (more than 7 months) they are finally trying to resolve the problem; however I've had enough and am no longer trying. I'm going to Ooma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Oct. 21 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Amazing product, cancelled our home phone line and have not missed it at all. The sound quality is perfect (we can not tell the difference from our old land line), and we have not had any problems with static or other background noise. Set up was very straight forward, and when I had a question tech support was helpful and there with no wait time. The cost is fantastic for the quality of the product, and the company now has many Canadian area codes to choose from. LOVE this product, wish I had known about it years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Rapport Qualité/Prix, Sept. 27 2012
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Acheté chez Walmart au prix de $58.63. Je l'ai testé depuis 4 semaines, tout fonctionne bien. Le seul option que je n'ai pas pu essayé est celui "conférence téléphonique", car le numéro de téléphone qu'il a donné aux membres pour rejoindre à la conférence est un numéro interurbain. Au Québec, on a le choix des numéros avec l'indicatif régional: 438,450,514 et 819. En résumé:
Pour
- Installation facile
- Qualité du son est comme celle du cellulaire
- Appels gratuits Canada & États-Unis
- Possibilité de changer le numéro de téléphone à tout moment sans frais
- Possibilité d'enregistrer un message d'acceuil personnalisé pour la boîte vocale.
- Pas cher

Contre
- Limite de 3000 minutes par mois
- Qualité du son depend de la performance de notre ligne d'internet.
- Incompatible avec le système d'alarme.

4.0 out of 5 stars netTALK DUO, May 22 2012
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
The Duo works well most of the time. I have two of them, one US based and the other Canadian. I have called phones in the US and Canada from both countries as well as from Panama. The Duo has delivered clear and quick (no speech delay) communication. My only complaints would be that occasionally it drops calls and I have experienced some "pinging" sounds during calls from time to time.
All in all my duos work well and I would not hesitate to recommend purchasing this product; it is infinitely better than paying often rediculous long distance charges!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work at home., May 10 2012
Jonathan Richard (Quebec City, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I was happy to try my new NetTALK DUO when i found myself with a infinitely blinking light. Never connected at home, in the router or modem. Tried it at work, works in 5 seconds. I guess i'm not lucky! My ISP yold me they were not blocking any ports! I got fully refunded and i'm pretty happy about that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›