4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertized, very limited canadian area codes .
Ordered this to compare against Magicjack .I prefer the call quality of netTalk DUO and the fact it can be connected to router directly not needing a computer on at all times .Setup was very simple .There's not alot of area codes available yet for Canada , Here's the list of Canadian area codes for nettalk duo as of March 2011 :

BC : 778 ( Vancouver)
AB...
Published on April 6 2011 by Quagmire

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Service from Nettalk
The device by itself is not bad. But there are big problems with Nettalk company.
1- They are not honest. They have Canadian web site (with prices that are already 50% more expensive than US website), but when you purchase any service on the Canadian website you will be billed in US$.
2- There is practically no customer service. The incoming calls in Canada has...
Published 14 months ago by Uncle J

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars netTALK DUO, May 22 2012
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
The Duo works well most of the time. I have two of them, one US based and the other Canadian. I have called phones in the US and Canada from both countries as well as from Panama. The Duo has delivered clear and quick (no speech delay) communication. My only complaints would be that occasionally it drops calls and I have experienced some "pinging" sounds during calls from time to time.
All in all my duos work well and I would not hesitate to recommend purchasing this product; it is infinitely better than paying often rediculous long distance charges!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work at home., May 10 2012
Jonathan Richard (Quebec City, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I was happy to try my new NetTALK DUO when i found myself with a infinitely blinking light. Never connected at home, in the router or modem. Tried it at work, works in 5 seconds. I guess i'm not lucky! My ISP yold me they were not blocking any ports! I got fully refunded and i'm pretty happy about that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product., April 19 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I was using magicjack but it was a pain running it with Ubuntu via a vitual machine, I kept roaming the net for a planB and found the netalk duo which can be on 24/7. I was not too sure about the regional codes available but reading the comments on amazon.ca I've found that user took the time post them (Thanks to him)! Sound quality is as good as classic landline. Setup took 5 minutes, just need to log in on the netalk site with the credentials provided in the box sent by amazon (arrived in 2 days). Advertisement is less way agressive than the magicjack, I will certainly renew for the next year as soon as I found out how :)

UPDATE: Downgrading the rating to 3 stars because the renewals form does not work with Canadian credit cards, after waiting 2 hours on their customer service line, their only solution was to get an American credit card (why do they sell the product in Canada then). Anyway, the real solution was to get a pre paid visa card and set it up with a random valid US address, seting the zip code is a bit tricky since American zip code have 5 characters instead of 6. After some googling it seems to turns out that their AVS only checks for the Numeric characters (maybe the reason why it does not work with Canadian Zip codes). You can set up your credit card with a American zip code like 123 54X and in the nettalk form enter 12345, that made it for me after 3 days of research. It took a lot of extra steps but I'm now set up for the next two years. Hope the device will last that long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap reliable home phone, Sept. 22 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
You get a local area code, voice mail (emailed to you) or can dial *98 to pickup, call waiting, 3 way calling etc. etc., free calls in USA & Canada. All for only 39$ a year(Canada). Cancelled my Rogers home phone. Plug in Duo's telephone line into one of my home landline telephone outlets and back fed to all the phones in the house. Initially planned to use the Nettalk Duo for traveling when wintering in the USA but now its my home phone.
My home alarm monitoring system works too with the Duo which the MajicJack did not (note had to call the monitoring company to program to call their direct number without #1 in front of it rather then a toll free number)
The advantage this unit has it's own power not relying on your computer. But can also connect by computer USB.
I tried the USB connect but on occassion needed to be unplugged and plugged back in when Computer went to sleep.
It needs Windows OS to use the USB. I use Parallels 6 on my MacPro to run the USB connection. Notwithstanding the Ethernet connection is the best way to go for reliability.
I love that once you plug everything in incl your corded phone Duo connects within about 5 seconds and your phone rings once to let you know all is working.
Reception is excellent with on occasion you can hear your voice echo on a call. The other party can't hear it but I usually just call back if it's going to be a long call.
There is also the odd 1 second break in the reception but that maybe my internet since my Brother in Vancouver doesn't have the problem on his Duo.
Works also when plugged into my cheap portable wireless router/repeater/accesspoint CNet CQR980 which has two Ethernet ports. (Used for travelling and sharing in hotels or any free wireless hotspot. Router works flawlessly with the Duo on wireless mode. My plan is to connect the Duo to Virgin Mobile wireless Hotspot by pairing the CNet router with the hotspot while traveling wintering in the USA. This way can have a Duo phone, ipad, iphone, sharing one hotspot without tethering)
Downloaded their free iPhone App which also works great. They are working on your dedicated Duo phone number will ring on your iphone with this app when you have WIFI. For now free outgoing call only on this App.
To set up or pickup your voicemail dial *98 and follow the prompts.
Although I am still working on a few issues all in all it is a great product that I highly recommend.
Enjoy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Voip service, but limited function up to now, June 25 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I bought Nettalk Duo from amazon.ca because i could not buy it from Nettalk.com (USA), being told that they don't ship in Canada. I was quit tired to pay 29,95$ can a month for a Voip service who gave me Can/Usa unlimited with * features and a voicemail.
I received the Nettalk Duo 3 days after on the regular delivery service.
The configuration on my USB computer port did not work properly when i first dit it.I had to uninstall and reinstal it again and stil got problem. Maybe i will go through someday.
Instead i used it with my router wich when #1 at the first time.Quit amazing the sound quality that i have got. No configuration, no problem, work great. I have tried it for a month, and i would compare it to my Voip service for the sound quality and the performance. I have downgraded my Voip service package but i wont cancel it.
Points are :
- I can't customize my voicemail message.People are hanging up without leaving a message thinking that they are not at the right place.
I've been told by the Nettalk customer service that they are working on it.
- No local message notification at this time. I can not know if i have voicemail message. My regular Voip service provided me a different tone on the phone and also was flashing the light of my voicemail when there is voicemail message. The only notification is an email wich i am not checking on a regular base.
- No private call function. I can't do call with a private caller ID on demand.
- No date time stamp provided on caller ID function. I have to use my Panasonic date and time to put stamp on my call history. There is a web call history on the Nettalk web portal.
- Limited function compare to my regular Voip provider.(like no forward function throught the phone, but available on the web)

I also mentionned that there was no 418 area code number availble. I have been told that it would be available by middle of june 2011. Promise was taken and i do have a Quebec region (418) area code phone number now.

But what can you asked for a 39$ can a year service. I'm sure that the will increase there offers and services. Great product up to now !

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a home phone alternative, Nov. 24 2011
Dewy (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I've been using VOIP for 6 years, so I'm rating this as 3/5. 5 being the top score I would give an established VOIP provider, like my current one I will not name here.
Set-up: somewhat challenging if you're not uncomfortable updating firmware on your router, should you need to do so. Also, there are several Canadian Postal codes to choose from, but the hitch is that you need to understand the city code after your area code, as Nettalk will not guide you through this. In my case I selected 289 as the area code, and 644 (Oakville) for the city code. Visit Wikipedia for these city codes as you select your number.
Performance: I work a lot from home, while logged onto VPN, and on a lot of conference calls. My first experience with Nettalk was ugly, the device hung up the conference on me. I've also had other calls crackle, or sound hollow, when my spouse is downloading something large.
Overall: I think it's a decent product if you use it for non-critical stuff, like talking to friends. Do not use it for work... unless you want an excuse for hanging up on your boss. we still keep it as a second line device but it's simply not our number one. The limitation of this product is likely bad design. Instead of bypassing the router, like most VOIP products, this one plugs directly into it -- hence your phone line quality is held hostage to any other traffic passing through the router. I'm confident Nettalk will eventually get this product right... but it's not a primary phone line for now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Renewal in US funds and not Canadian fund, Feb. 24 2012
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I just want to point out that when it said the renewal is $39.95. That is in US funds and not Canadian funds. Also, you will be charge Canadian Tax in US funds as well. So, depending what the exchange rate is on your credit card, the yearly renewal will range from $46.44 or more. That what I got on my statement when I renewed it -_-

1.0 out of 5 stars trouble after trouble, March 27 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I bought this product a couple of years ago.. things keep coming up as I used the product.
1. They don't tell you there is a limited amount of minutes that you can use monthly.. if you even paid for an international package, you still usage a common pool of minutes.. so if you ran out of minutes on local calls.. so as the international ones.
2. I doesn't like routers, so you need to configure and reconfigure to make it work, if not it will keep resetting itself, I found a workaround but I still have to reset it at least once a week, the best I could do. They will keep blaming your router and since there are different brands, you are on your own.
3.Back to international package.. 'rates' changed with their provider so they would suddenly stop my international minutes, even if you paid for a year, they will not stick to their part of their contract, good luck.
4. This week (fighting the international package) they pushed a new firmware over the wire (to see if that fixes the issue), they kill the device and said I have to buy another device.. also, they will not refund my money for both the local and international package.. so I lost everything.
5. when support gets you to second tier , they only support you by phone.. if you are like me and bough the phone as home line, the only support you are going to get is by getting a call from US into your cellphone.. kiss your minutes goodbye. To fix your broken phone, they dont have another kind of support (remote or chat) when you get to the second level of support.. is stupid! like if your internet brakes and the only available support they can give you is by email :p
6. To get initial support, you can create a ticket (no luck ever getting back from there), canadian 'phone line' is broken, and the chat, you get stuck with 20 people infront of you and when they finally answer, they will not try to help you at all.. its like they dont care..

for this an more, I would try to get another IP phone services, there are some other options out there.. hope you dont get into the same troubles..

1.0 out of 5 stars Absent Customer Service - Unacceptable, Feb. 7 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Just as the other reviewers are saying, there is no customer service.

I posted a detailed service ticket with them in December, and heard nothing from them until February. Even so, it was an email with no suggestions to remedy the problem. They really wanted to know if they could close the ticket. I have since responded twice, and heard nothing back.

UPDATED - As of June 5, 2014 (more than 6 months) it is still not solved. I did get an email from them today saying they read my review on this site. Maybe this is where all trouble tickets should be posted. It gets their attention.

UPDATED - As of July 7, 2014 (more than 7 months) they are finally trying to resolve the problem; however I've had enough and am no longer trying. I'm going to Ooma.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst IP phone device, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
This is by far the worst IP phone device I have ever purchased. Service was down for months, customer service never responded to any complaints. Not worth a penny!

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›