4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertized, very limited canadian area codes .
Ordered this to compare against Magicjack .I prefer the call quality of netTalk DUO and the fact it can be connected to router directly not needing a computer on at all times .Setup was very simple .There's not alot of area codes available yet for Canada , Here's the list of Canadian area codes for nettalk duo as of March 2011 :

BC : 778 ( Vancouver)
AB...
Published on April 6 2011 by Quagmire

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Service from Nettalk
The device by itself is not bad. But there are big problems with Nettalk company.
1- They are not honest. They have Canadian web site (with prices that are already 50% more expensive than US website), but when you purchase any service on the Canadian website you will be billed in US$.
2- There is practically no customer service. The incoming calls in Canada has...
Published 19 months ago by Uncle J

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars netTALK DUO, May 22 2012
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
The Duo works well most of the time. I have two of them, one US based and the other Canadian. I have called phones in the US and Canada from both countries as well as from Panama. The Duo has delivered clear and quick (no speech delay) communication. My only complaints would be that occasionally it drops calls and I have experienced some "pinging" sounds during calls from time to time.
All in all my duos work well and I would not hesitate to recommend purchasing this product; it is infinitely better than paying often rediculous long distance charges!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work at home., May 10 2012
Jonathan Richard (Quebec City, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I was happy to try my new NetTALK DUO when i found myself with a infinitely blinking light. Never connected at home, in the router or modem. Tried it at work, works in 5 seconds. I guess i'm not lucky! My ISP yold me they were not blocking any ports! I got fully refunded and i'm pretty happy about that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product., April 19 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I was using magicjack but it was a pain running it with Ubuntu via a vitual machine, I kept roaming the net for a planB and found the netalk duo which can be on 24/7. I was not too sure about the regional codes available but reading the comments on amazon.ca I've found that user took the time post them (Thanks to him)! Sound quality is as good as classic landline. Setup took 5 minutes, just need to log in on the netalk site with the credentials provided in the box sent by amazon (arrived in 2 days). Advertisement is less way agressive than the magicjack, I will certainly renew for the next year as soon as I found out how :)

UPDATE: Downgrading the rating to 3 stars because the renewals form does not work with Canadian credit cards, after waiting 2 hours on their customer service line, their only solution was to get an American credit card (why do they sell the product in Canada then). Anyway, the real solution was to get a pre paid visa card and set it up with a random valid US address, seting the zip code is a bit tricky since American zip code have 5 characters instead of 6. After some googling it seems to turns out that their AVS only checks for the Numeric characters (maybe the reason why it does not work with Canadian Zip codes). You can set up your credit card with a American zip code like 123 54X and in the nettalk form enter 12345, that made it for me after 3 days of research. It took a lot of extra steps but I'm now set up for the next two years. Hope the device will last that long.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay until you need to renew your service - or need to contact them, Oct. 6 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
The device itself is okay if you just want a backup to your cellphone for making long distance calls or if your minutes are limited. You do need a decent internet connection and at times it needs to be reset and call quality isn't consistent. Sometimes you have to call people back to get a better connection or redial a number that doesn't go through. I've had this for a few years now and it's come time to renew. They did give me a generous extension on my account due to the problems in April 2013, so I'll give them that. However, I have been trying to renew my service for 2 weeks now with no result. The website will not accept the billing address for my credit card (tried 2 different cards) and there is no way to talk to a real person through their phone number. The only way to talk to someone in real time is through online chat. I connected early in the morning and was informed that there were 30 people ahead of me. After 30 minutes, the chat session timed out and I was informed that there was no one to help me and to email a request through a web form. If I can't even get a hold of them to give them money, imagine if I had a problem with my service! This device is turning out to be my transition phone from home phone to no home phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising, Misleading, Worst VOIP service I have had after using such services for 7 years, Aug. 20 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
After having Vonage and Magic Jack for many years, NetTALK is by far the worst service I have received. Their advertising is false and misleading in that "free" calls does not mean unlimited???? Nothing in their advertising tells you that you are unable to make outgoing calls after you have used 1500 minutes in a month. You can not upgrade from at all at any price. Their fine print before you buy it says there are limits based on average usage blah blah which no one can decipher.

Customer service is rude and condescending, and I have saved a log of that chat to provide to other review agencies and the media. The rep told me that clicking the 'accept' box on the terms should have told me the terms. He went on to tell me about the law, which was funny as I am a retired lawyer. He was unable to tell me what law school he went to.

Bottom line is that this company is a total dud and I wish Amazon would stop carrying their product and i am happy to document all the above information via my recorded live chat with anyone that is interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap reliable home phone, Sept. 22 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
You get a local area code, voice mail (emailed to you) or can dial *98 to pickup, call waiting, 3 way calling etc. etc., free calls in USA & Canada. All for only 39$ a year(Canada). Cancelled my Rogers home phone. Plug in Duo's telephone line into one of my home landline telephone outlets and back fed to all the phones in the house. Initially planned to use the Nettalk Duo for traveling when wintering in the USA but now its my home phone.
My home alarm monitoring system works too with the Duo which the MajicJack did not (note had to call the monitoring company to program to call their direct number without #1 in front of it rather then a toll free number)
The advantage this unit has it's own power not relying on your computer. But can also connect by computer USB.
I tried the USB connect but on occassion needed to be unplugged and plugged back in when Computer went to sleep.
It needs Windows OS to use the USB. I use Parallels 6 on my MacPro to run the USB connection. Notwithstanding the Ethernet connection is the best way to go for reliability.
I love that once you plug everything in incl your corded phone Duo connects within about 5 seconds and your phone rings once to let you know all is working.
Reception is excellent with on occasion you can hear your voice echo on a call. The other party can't hear it but I usually just call back if it's going to be a long call.
There is also the odd 1 second break in the reception but that maybe my internet since my Brother in Vancouver doesn't have the problem on his Duo.
Works also when plugged into my cheap portable wireless router/repeater/accesspoint CNet CQR980 which has two Ethernet ports. (Used for travelling and sharing in hotels or any free wireless hotspot. Router works flawlessly with the Duo on wireless mode. My plan is to connect the Duo to Virgin Mobile wireless Hotspot by pairing the CNet router with the hotspot while traveling wintering in the USA. This way can have a Duo phone, ipad, iphone, sharing one hotspot without tethering)
Downloaded their free iPhone App which also works great. They are working on your dedicated Duo phone number will ring on your iphone with this app when you have WIFI. For now free outgoing call only on this App.
To set up or pickup your voicemail dial *98 and follow the prompts.
Although I am still working on a few issues all in all it is a great product that I highly recommend.
Enjoy!!

1.0 out of 5 stars worst product ever, Sept. 27 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
worst company i have ever seen. Customer service is the worst. Initial few months were good then after problem starts. It disconnected it self. I requested for customer service however after two months i got a response that "whether the device is working fine or do you still need our service" I have replied that no I am still experiencing the same problem. After 4 months I got the same email again. Than I gave up. I did a great mistake by renewing my # for five years. The device and its service is no use for me now. I highly recommend not to buy this product. I switched initially from my magic jack. I think magic jack is much better than nettalk.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Voip service, but limited function up to now, June 25 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
I bought Nettalk Duo from amazon.ca because i could not buy it from Nettalk.com (USA), being told that they don't ship in Canada. I was quit tired to pay 29,95$ can a month for a Voip service who gave me Can/Usa unlimited with * features and a voicemail.
I received the Nettalk Duo 3 days after on the regular delivery service.
The configuration on my USB computer port did not work properly when i first dit it.I had to uninstall and reinstal it again and stil got problem. Maybe i will go through someday.
Instead i used it with my router wich when #1 at the first time.Quit amazing the sound quality that i have got. No configuration, no problem, work great. I have tried it for a month, and i would compare it to my Voip service for the sound quality and the performance. I have downgraded my Voip service package but i wont cancel it.
Points are :
- I can't customize my voicemail message.People are hanging up without leaving a message thinking that they are not at the right place.
I've been told by the Nettalk customer service that they are working on it.
- No local message notification at this time. I can not know if i have voicemail message. My regular Voip service provided me a different tone on the phone and also was flashing the light of my voicemail when there is voicemail message. The only notification is an email wich i am not checking on a regular base.
- No private call function. I can't do call with a private caller ID on demand.
- No date time stamp provided on caller ID function. I have to use my Panasonic date and time to put stamp on my call history. There is a web call history on the Nettalk web portal.
- Limited function compare to my regular Voip provider.(like no forward function throught the phone, but available on the web)

I also mentionned that there was no 418 area code number availble. I have been told that it would be available by middle of june 2011. Promise was taken and i do have a Quebec region (418) area code phone number now.

But what can you asked for a 39$ can a year service. I'm sure that the will increase there offers and services. Great product up to now !

4.0 out of 5 stars NetTalk Works when installed correctly..., July 25 2012
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
When I first connected my duo to my router, it was having trouble ringing, calling out, and holding a call for more than 5 minutes without dropping... I've learned the hard way that you MUST set up a static ip to the duo's mac address, and place that ip in the DMZ in your router.(every router can be set this way). I have not had any trouble what so ever after setting up my router this way. Just a heads up ;)

I only gave it 4 stars because it will not give a time and date stamp on the caller id... it only shows the name and number(this cannot be fixed... it's a flaw in the device firmware).

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy., Aug. 14 2014
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Had it for almost 3 years. After 1 and a half years, nettalk experienced an almost Canada wide service loss for about 2 months. The result of which I lost my original telephone number forever. Now at the 3 year mark, my device itself is malfunctioning with no service. Multiple attempts to contact technical support and customer service with their completely inept ticket system resulted with no answer back in a month. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. If you are looking for a reliable VoIP phone line, Nettalk is definitely not your answer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›