countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: DVD|Change

on November 21, 2011
We loved this show! Season 1.5 ties things up fairly well considering there won't be a Season 2 (at least as far as I know). At first it was disappointing to find out it all ends with Season 1.5, but overall we found the ending tied in to the Battlestar Galactica series, so we were satisfied. Plus the show in itself is very well done - great acting, great story-line.
on April 2, 2016
NOTE: This review is aimed at anyone who originally watched Caprica (in Canada) on Netflix (when it was available).

I originally watched Caprica Season 1 on Netflix (Canada), and I liked it, so clearly my stars do not reflect my opinion of the show. In any case, after watching Season 1, I went ahead and watched the BSG remake (also a great show, by the way), and after finishing the BSG series, I felt like there was significant gap between Caprica and BSG. For me, a lot of questions remained on exactly how the final events of Caprica amounted into the society of BSG. I thought there was a ton of potential to bridge that gap, so amazon.ca browsing I go and there is (what I think to be) the answers I've been looking for: Caprica Season 1.5! Unfortunately, the Caprica episodes I originally watched on Netflix, labelled "Season 1", were actually in fact the whole series: Season 1 + Season 1.5

So, when Season 1.5 arrives (shipping was great as usual), and I open the plastic wrap with much anticipation, as I am super pumped to find out the mysteries of this universe, I notice that the last episode listed is "Apotheosis", which I clearly remembered as the last episode I watched on Netflix. I did not want to believe it; I hopelessly searched Google in hopes that these mysteries I was searching for existed on this DVD as I had hoped ... Nope. This was it. My fault? Yes. Well, at least partly, but in my defence Netflix posted the entire content of the show and labelled it Season 1, not Season 1 + Season 1.5

TL;DR - This is a great series; however, if you watched the first season on Netflix and are purchasing this DVD hoping for more, read above.
on February 9, 2016
Caprica lasted one and a half seasons, and I rather enjoyed it.

When you can read between the lines you can see why it would have been cancelled even if it had managed higher ratings. Besides, who knows how TV shows are actually rated anyway. I have been watching TV for 40 years and I have never been asked for my opinion, and I have not met a single person in my life who has.

Also, it won an Emmy and was nominated for 8 others, but it was deemed too poorly done and unpopular to even finish the second season. Given the huge amount of absolute trash on TV, this seems a rather strange consistency.

Caprica was cancelled because it focused on themes the entertainment industry did not like. Foremost, it showed powerful elites behaving in a selfish and short sighted manner, and pointed out the obvious consequences of more and more sophisticated weapons, and using AI in a war context.

If that wasn't enough it took a huge swipe at the gaming industry, which is currently posturing to provide the just the type of virtual reality experience seen in Caprica to teenagers. The only difference is that the gaming industry will provide an even more toxic and violent product than the VR glasses in Caprica.

They also asked a very dangerous question that cut right to the heart of the gaming industry. When you enter a virtual reality and choose to murder someone, what does that mean in a personal context, societal context and a theological context? In virtual reality you are your own frame of reference and what you choose and not choose to do is just as real as the real world. Buddhism has a greater emphasis on the internal frame of reference and the way is followed by balancing internal and external frames of reference. Computer gaming could be harnessed to aid in the balance between internal and external frames of reference, but in actual reality the opposite is true and the addictive and dangerous aspects of virtual reality is emphasized and monetized.

Caprica would have been terminated no matter how good it was ..... it offended the people writing the cheques.

As a side note, Caprica brought back memories of how foolish and naive the Original Battlestar Galactica 1978 was. Even as a preteen, I found it hopelessly unworldly and contrived. Adama and Baltar and the rest of the characters all behaving like in some third rate morality play. One thing you can believe, if we do open that particular door, the results are eventually not going conform to our expectation and the boundaries of good and evil.

The 2004 version of BSG was much much better and much more thoughtful, but at its heart really was still glorified controllable conflict and opposition, despite hints at something more.

Caprica was a brand new flow and that is why it failed with BSG fans who glorify controllable conflict and opposition. Caprica was about the within. Caprica wasn't about fighting some stupid war. Caprica was about fighting your own internal demons, in a world full of people fighting their own internal demons and losing. Caprica was about making expedient and seemingly intelligent decisions and then seeing the consequences flower.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 26, 2011
The second half of season one is darker than the first half, but it seems deeper somehow, and it turns the viewer upside-down.

Hard to write a review without spoilers, but I'll do my best to not spoil this treat for anyone.

The last couple of episodes (especially) leave you almost gasping for breath. People you think might be dead or gone may not be dead or gone, people you thought you knew aren't who you thought, and some 1,000 watt lightbulbs go on over the head of the viewer. You may find yourself (at the end of the last episode) sitting with your mouth hanging open and then saying, "Ohhhhhh! NOW I get it!"

Great season-finisher, great cast, great characters (if not likeable, then certainly unforgettable).

If you enjoy sci fi soap operas, you'll love Caprica. It's not filled with fights and thrills like Battlestar Galactica, but Caprica will have you on the edge of your seat nonetheless, fingers digging into the arms of your chair.
on December 24, 2011
I finally watched the very last Caprica installment Season 1.5 and to be honest it is really disappointing. Season 1 was not bad and it left me wanting to know more as it certainly had the potential. After watching both seasons I came to the conclusion this show is all about mafia/virtual world/monotheist zealots & terrorists. Really? That's it? That's all you can show for the Caprican society? There is not a single moment of tenderness between characters. The show really likes to show scenes of gruesome executions. I love my Battlestar Galactica and I can watch it over and over as it has love, hate, spirituality, selflessness, hope, and it's very inspirational. Yes it still is quite a dark show as it shows most of humanity being obliterated and the rest being hunted viciously by a genocidal race of robots. But at least it has parts where there's hope and light and the will to go on. The best SCI-FI show ever.
Caprica, however, just shows a society of greed, murderous lunatics, terrorists, religious zealots. And the ending is just so stupid, so hastily put together. Yes, I understand the show was cancelled abruptly and perhaps they did not have enough time to develop the story. And I have to admit the special effects are quite amazing, but the story, well, that's just it. There isn't one. For me it was a waste of money. If you still want to see the show, my review can't really stop you but at least shop around for the best price or buy used where you can. I guess I was hoping for a show that would show me a glimpse of the Caprican society with all the good and evil. It really is such a hopeless, depressing show.
on October 18, 2014
A great pre-quil. Too bad the higher-ups decided to frak the series.
on April 29, 2015
Again, enjoyed immensely, Addictive viewing! Caps in fills in nicely with the rest of the series. Well worth getting and well worth watching. This series can cause a marathon of viewing, so be prepared to watch more than one or two in a day.
on January 18, 2013
Not as good as the reinvented Battlestar Galactica series, but it is a must-see if you are fan of BSG. It gives you a bit of the background about what happened on Caprica BEFORE the Cylons retaliated.
on December 26, 2015
We were about a year between watching 1.0 and 1.5 and had watched some of the Battlestar reboot between.

Excellent, well-cast lush series that wraps up the stories from 1.0
on December 3, 2015
Simple, I just love Science Fiction.
Once we have finished with Caprica, quickly reach out for BattleStar GALACTICA.