5.0 out of 5 stars Not your standard holiday album, Jan. 7 2014
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
English, French, Arabic, Ukrainian, Hebrew, Japanese, Ladino, Italian.... beautiful arrangements of holiday tunes from around the world. Loved this CD so much, I bought two more to give as gifts. Pink Martini never disappoints!

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend it, April 29 2013
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
If you are a Christmas music lover, like me, you have to have this lovely album. It truely is unique and beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joy to the World, and sometimes my ears too..., Dec 14 2010
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
Joy to the World is an enjoyable and unique selection of holiday music from around the world. It's quite different from the typical Christmas CD as most songs are performed in different languages with that Pink Martini twist. The CD booklet contains the lyrics and translations and helped deepen my appreciation of this multi-cultural collection of holiday songs.

The Ukrainian "Shchedryk" (Carol of the Bells) seemed to stay quite true to the original and was one of my favourites, in the good company of "Ocho Kandelikas", "La Vergine Degli Angeli" and "Congratulations".

A couple of the more modern interpretations didn't work for me, such as "Little Drummer Boy". When it was purely percussive and China Forbes started singing, the beat felt forced and awkward to me. This is a song that I always enjoyed immensely in its classic style as a child.

I was also quite disappointed that their rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" diverged so far from its origins. The beat felt so out of place and singing it in other languages after the first verse, just drained the power right out of the Robert Burns classic for me.

Although not every song is joy to my ears, overall, it's a fun collection of holiday songs that I'm glad that I purchased. Since you currently cannot preview the songs here and I can't see this being everyone's cup of tea, I'd recommend checking them out on the US Amazon site prior to ordering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, Dec 5 2011
Jennifer L. Bates "Aunt Jen" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Received the CD just a couple days outside the estimated window, but due to the season/customs not an issue. The seller responded quickly to my inquiries, would buy from them again and the CD is perfect for setting the holiday mood!

ARRAY(0xfa760cc)

Joy To The World
Joy To The World by Pink Martini (Audio CD - 2010)